kewlj
kewlj
Joined: Apr 17, 2012
  • Threads: 203
  • Posts: 3824
January 27th, 2013 at 9:32:05 PM permalink
Quote: AlanMendelson



You bring up an excellent and important point about vendors and beggars on the pedestrian bridges. That should not be permitted. It really is a safety hazard. You never know if they are "kindly beggars" or "kindly vendors" or if they are going to mug you or kill you. I would think the Vegas authorities might want to consider some loitering law for the pedestrian bridges.



There is a law on the books concerning vendors and last summer there was a pretty significant crack down on the water vendors, which was kind of ironic because of all the strip sidewalk and pedestrian bridge nuisances, I rank the water vendors at the bottom. There is a sense of entrepreneurship involved which sure beats the beggars (need money for beer). Also, the availability of water in the desert doesn't seem like a horrible idea to me. Unfortunately some of these vendors abused the opportunity by refilling of bottles and scamming which led to complaints and the crackdown, which only lasted about a month during the hottest part of the summer when it is needed most, then it was back to business as usual. lol

Ironically this crackdown and fines did not include, beggars, nor the street performers, who block the sidewalks with 'performance art', nor those costumed movie characters who want money to have a photo taken with them. It also did not include the porn snappers. Oh the porn snappers, who often form an intimidating gauntlet for patrons to navigate, while slapping porn in the face of women and children, are somehow protected by the first amendment of free speech. lol
rxwine
rxwine
Joined: Feb 28, 2010
  • Threads: 166
  • Posts: 9720
January 27th, 2013 at 9:46:48 PM permalink
Quote: AlanMendelson

You bring up an excellent and important point about vendors and beggars on the pedestrian bridges. That should not be permitted. It really is a safety hazard. You never know if they are "kindly beggars" or "kindly vendors" or if they are going to mug you or kill you. I would think the Vegas authorities might want to consider some loitering law for the pedestrian bridges.



The cops must of been instructed to stop moving people off there, because that possibility existed for a long time, and for a long time there weren't any vendors on crossways. I'm sure there have always been some panhandlers as that is prohibited everywhere, but is enforced when encountered mostly.
Quasimodo? Does that name ring a bell?
sodawater
sodawater
Joined: May 14, 2012
  • Threads: 64
  • Posts: 3321
January 27th, 2013 at 10:23:19 PM permalink
Quote: AlanMendelson



Its just the opposite of the supermarket business where aisle caps (end displays on shopping aisles) have the promoted merchandise to make it easy to see. Supermarkets want you to get in and get out fast. Casinos, on the other hand, want you to come in and never leave.



You couldn't be more wrong about this. Supermarkets want you to linger as long as possible, as average check is highly correlated with time spent shopping. That is why you will often find essentials like milk in the corner of the store furthest from the entrance.

Supermarkets do use end caps for promotions but you will rarely find staples there.

Paco Underhill has written a couple of great books about the layout strategy of supermarkets and other retailers. Highly recommended for a fascinating look at places we visit almost every day.
boymimbo
boymimbo
Joined: Nov 12, 2009
  • Threads: 17
  • Posts: 5994
January 28th, 2013 at 2:48:13 AM permalink
Correct. In most groceries stores, if I want milk (back wall), bread (opposite front corner), meat (near corner) and a vegetable (near entrance), then I've covered all of the store. Of course, along the way, I'll pick up things I don't need.

I would think casinos would have a few well paying and loud machines at the front to show patrons that "they can win" while keeping a well advertised bank of good paying machines towards the back (to draw you in, and keep you in).
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
SanchoPanza
SanchoPanza
Joined: May 10, 2010
  • Threads: 34
  • Posts: 3472
January 28th, 2013 at 5:13:32 AM permalink
Quote: kewlj

This crackdown and fines did not include, beggars, nor the street performers, who block the sidewalks with 'performance art', nor those costumed movie characters who want money to have a photo taken with them. It also did not include the porn snappers.


Even worse are the time-share leeches. Especially around Flamingo and Harmon. They actually step in front of you while you're walking and then curse you out. Porn slappers and buskers tend not to do that. Why the time-share sellers think that angering people helps them sell their wares is a huge mystery.
GH
GH
Joined: Oct 21, 2012
  • Threads: 7
  • Posts: 272
January 28th, 2013 at 7:09:31 AM permalink
The problem is that, for the longest time; the street vendors, card slapper, beggers, etc. have managed to turn their "right to be there" into a "freedom of speech" expression. Every time a a new ordinance or crackdown is proposed, the city has to do the "ACLU waltz."
Mission146
Mission146
Joined: May 15, 2012
  • Threads: 123
  • Posts: 12840
January 28th, 2013 at 4:15:41 PM permalink
Quote: AlanMendelson


Its just the opposite of the supermarket business where aisle caps (end displays on shopping aisles) have the promoted merchandise to make it easy to see. Supermarkets want you to get in and get out fast. Casinos, on the other hand, want you to come in and never leave.



Having worked PM floor manager at a supermarket, I respectfully disagree with your comparison. The reason that we use endcaps for the best sales items is because it would be nearly impossible to keep them full with the regular shelf space when there is a really good sale going on. The supermarket also wants to make sure you walk through the entire store (and potentially see more items you want to buy), which is why common items such as milk, cheese, bread and eggs are typically found relatively far from the store's main entrance.
Vultures can't be choosers.

  • Jump to: