Poll

2 votes (6.06%)
28 votes (84.84%)
3 votes (9.09%)
No votes (0%)

33 members have voted

TDVegas
TDVegas
Joined: Oct 30, 2018
  • Threads: 2
  • Posts: 1186
March 20th, 2020 at 9:46:26 AM permalink
Quote: Vegasrider

The Atlantis Casino in Reno has a smokefree Sports and Racebook, and its a decent size book. Combine it with the poker room that is adjacent to the book, that entire area is non smoking. Kudos to the Atlantis. Wish other casinos in Reno would follow their lead.


It’s a tired line that they will lose business. A gambler who smokes is not stopping his gambling because he has to light up outside.

The big guns in Vegas might be afraid of losing some Asian whales who chain smoke like a tazmanian devil....but my money says they put “gamble before smoke”.

In any event...the mandate is a hypocritical one. If we as a government say no smoking in restaurants, offices, arenas, shopping, retail because “public health issue”....then they really have no argument to say “it’s ok to smoke within a casino building with many others around”.

Money trumps health (in their mind)...at least they should admit it.
Vegasrider
Vegasrider
Joined: Dec 23, 2017
  • Threads: 78
  • Posts: 845
Thanks for this post from:
TDVegas
March 20th, 2020 at 10:03:47 AM permalink
I remember the days of flying, domestic and international, playing live poker, going to nightclub, restaurants and bars. All places where people smoked. Eventually they all went nonsmoking. Everyone is still flying, and visiting those businesses where they use to smoke. Casino will eventually get there. Its the last hold out.
Gandler
Gandler
Joined: Jan 27, 2014
  • Threads: 33
  • Posts: 1593
March 28th, 2020 at 7:32:11 AM permalink
Quote: Vegasrider

I remember the days of flying, domestic and international, playing live poker, going to nightclub, restaurants and bars. All places where people smoked. Eventually they all went nonsmoking. Everyone is still flying, and visiting those businesses where they use to smoke. Casino will eventually get there. Its the last hold out.



It depends on the state, some states still have smoking bars and clubs and restaurants.....
Smoking bans vary drastically by state, some have virtually none (rare now) and some its banned virtually everywhere....

In states where smoking is allowed, smokers almost always choose to go to bars and clubs that allow smoking (versus non smoking competitors). Restaurants it's not as clear as people just go there for the food, and many people do not like to smoke when eating anyway.

But, casinos do seem to have unique leverage over smoking allowances, because even in super anti-smoking NJ they managed to keep smoking in casinos (virtually the only place you can smoke inside).

Flying is unique, so it's not a totally fair comparison, because there is usually no alternative than to fly (I do know some smokers who will drive 8 hours over taking a 1 hour flight just to smoke). But, for many types of distance travel, there are no alternatives so smokers just have to suck it up (or use smokeless tobacco, you can dip and chew on planes, or other newer nicotine products).
racquet
racquet
Joined: Dec 31, 2014
  • Threads: 50
  • Posts: 411
April 15th, 2020 at 10:05:51 AM permalink
When RI opened it's casinos years ago they needed to pass a separate state law to exempt casinos from the universal ban on smoking in any public venue. The exemption passed easily. RI currently offers smoke-free gambling only in high-limit areas. Rather than smoking areas being the exception, non-smoking areas are limited.

Of course, in RI, gambling and taxes on cigarettes comprise a large portion of state government revenue.

The state is forced to perform a balancing act. They need to tailor laws such that they do not harm the state's biggest self-interest: revenue.

Nothing about smoking and gambling has anything to do with how they harm or benefit the people.

Cigarette taxes are carefully crafted so that state revenue is not adversely impacted, most often with an eye to the rates in neighboring states. For years the cheapest cigarettes nearby were in New Hampshire, so trips to a state-government run store just over the line north of Massachusetts (conveniently with it's own dedicated exit and turnaround on the Interstate) was where a lot of folks went for liquor, cigarettes, and (a long time ago) for the only legal lottery in the northeast.

Banning cigarettes would of course promote black market business, but over time it would significantly reduce consumption, and in the long term promote public health. But since it would dry up a good source of state tax revenue, it would never happen.

Finally, the harmful effects of both cigarettes and gambling impact mostly lower income, disadvantaged, and minority communities. But the politicians who constantly cater to these groups will, of course, do nothing to restrict these industries since they provide such a rich source of government income to pay the salaries, pensions and benefits of themselves, their families, and friends. Hypocrisy.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 229
  • Posts: 12735
Thanks for this post from:
Forager
April 15th, 2020 at 1:28:22 PM permalink
Quote: racquet

When RI opened it's casinos years ago they needed to pass a separate state law to exempt casinos from the universal ban on smoking in any public venue. The exemption passed easily. RI currently offers smoke-free gambling only in high-limit areas. Rather than smoking areas being the exception, non-smoking areas are limited.

Of course, in RI, gambling and taxes on cigarettes comprise a large portion of state government revenue.

The state is forced to perform a balancing act. They need to tailor laws such that they do not harm the state's biggest self-interest: revenue.

Nothing about smoking and gambling has anything to do with how they harm or benefit the people.

Cigarette taxes are carefully crafted so that state revenue is not adversely impacted, most often with an eye to the rates in neighboring states. For years the cheapest cigarettes nearby were in New Hampshire, so trips to a state-government run store just over the line north of Massachusetts (conveniently with it's own dedicated exit and turnaround on the Interstate) was where a lot of folks went for liquor, cigarettes, and (a long time ago) for the only legal lottery in the northeast.

Banning cigarettes would of course promote black market business, but over time it would significantly reduce consumption, and in the long term promote public health. But since it would dry up a good source of state tax revenue, it would never happen.

Finally, the harmful effects of both cigarettes and gambling impact mostly lower income, disadvantaged, and minority communities. But the politicians who constantly cater to these groups will, of course, do nothing to restrict these industries since they provide such a rich source of government income to pay the salaries, pensions and benefits of themselves, their families, and friends. Hypocrisy.



The government long ago started taking the most profit from cigarettes. They do not want people to quit, they want max revenue. People who think otherwise are fooling themselves.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
Gandler
Gandler
Joined: Jan 27, 2014
  • Threads: 33
  • Posts: 1593
April 20th, 2020 at 6:43:46 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

The government long ago started taking the most profit from cigarettes. They do not want people to quit, they want max revenue. People who think otherwise are fooling themselves.



Its not just the taxes.

Annual payments from the Master Settlment makes it profitable to states when tobacco companies are profitable.

Its reason that the government cracks down on vaping and nicotine alternatives.

Also, smokers save SS and Medicare money (by dying younger).

If everyone quit smoking, the government would be in trouble.
alan.mendelson
alan.mendelson
Joined: Apr 21, 2020
  • Threads: 0
  • Posts: 16
April 21st, 2020 at 4:42:00 AM permalink
If there were no more chips on crap tables and computer screens or tablets wete used instead we wouldn't have to worry about:

1. Dice hitting chips
2. Chips hitting dice (rare, but it happens)
3. Late bets getting thrown in
4. Buyins when shooter has dice
5. Colorups when shooter has dice
6. Arguments about bets on the center table
7. Shooters messing up the layouts with fast throws
8. Dealer errors
9. Money thrown on the table
10. Not hitting the back wall because don't players built a great wall on the DP line
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 229
  • Posts: 12735
April 21st, 2020 at 4:56:19 AM permalink
Quote: Gandler

Its not just the taxes.

Annual payments from the Master Settlment makes it profitable to states when tobacco companies are profitable.

Its reason that the government cracks down on vaping and nicotine alternatives.

Also, smokers save SS and Medicare money (by dying younger).

If everyone quit smoking, the government would be in trouble.



Agree, except I was kind of lumping the MSA in with taxes. MSA ends in what, 3-4 years?
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
CasinoResearch
CasinoResearch
Joined: Mar 29, 2020
  • Threads: 3
  • Posts: 27
April 21st, 2020 at 9:07:03 AM permalink
ndelson]If there were no more chips on crap tables and computer screens or tablets wete used instead we wouldn't have to worry about:

1. Dice hitting chips
2. Chips hitting dice (rare, but it happens)
3. Late bets getting thrown in
4. Buyins when shooter has dice
5. Colorups when shooter has dice
6. Arguments about bets on the center table
7. Shooters messing up the layouts with fast throws
8. Dealer errors
9. Money thrown on the table
10. Not hitting the back wall because don't players built a great wall on the DP line




Very good points! I also think of late bets in roulette and trickery in blackjack (palming bets, etc) being eliminated.
alan.mendelson
alan.mendelson
Joined: Apr 21, 2020
  • Threads: 0
  • Posts: 16
April 21st, 2020 at 9:11:48 AM permalink
Casinos would love tablet/computer betting because they could stop post betting and even eliminate dealers.

Take craps, for example. With computer betting you'd eliminate the base dealers. The game could be run by the stickman and the boxman who would turn computer betting on and off.

No more base dealers to place bets or to change $$ or chips.

  • Jump to: