wrongway
wrongway
  • Threads: 8
June 28th, 2010 at 7:09:11 PM permalink
If it's a $5 table you could try a don't pass and lay triple odds decreasing your lay by 1X every time the shooter makes a point. If a single shooter makes 3 points just wait them out. While doing this make two come bets with single odds and increase the odds by $5 every time you win. This has worked out ok in the past for me, but like any strategy it will not work all of the time. Most important is to set a win limit and stick to it. If you walk up to a table and they are not making points but rolling a lot of numbers in between you can make a lot quick and it's REALLY hard to walk away from the table if you are only three or four shooters in.
7winner
7winner
  • Threads: 9
July 3rd, 2010 at 1:51:56 PM permalink
Quote: wrongway

If a single shooter makes 3 points just wait them out.
This has worked out ok in the past for me, but like any strategy it will not work all of the time.
Most important is to set a win limit and stick to it.

In my close to 50 years playing and dealing dice,
I find it difficult to "stick to it" and almost impossible to "wait them out" as a player all the time.
The number rule of gambling in my craps book is to "be consistent".

I seem to break that one a lot.
7 winner chicken dinner!
DrEntropy
DrEntropy
  • Threads: 27
July 5th, 2010 at 9:51:11 AM permalink
Quote: RonDiaz

Hi folks, just looking for your thoughts on a decent Craps strategy for a $200 buy in. I have my thoughts which I will post a little later but looking to tap some of the knowledge here.

Here is my strategy:

$5 table:
Bet pass line + 1 (and only 1) come bet.
Odds bets:Take $5 odds on the 4/10, $6 on the 4/9, and $10 on the 6/8.
Two hour risk of ruin (simulated) with $200 bankroll ~ 15%
Average loss for two hours ~ $4 (Simulated, assumes 120 rolls per hour)

If I can only play at a $10 table:
Bet pass line + 1 come bet
Odds: Take single odds only on the 6/8. Otherwise no odds bets.
Two hour risk of ruin ~ 20%
Average loss for two hours is double that for the $5 table, or about $8

The reason for the small amount of odds is to reduce the variance to improve risk of ruin for this small bankroll. You could do full double odds on the $5 table and not increase your risk too much (to about 25%). Also, I prefer to have at least two numbers going for the 'fun factor', so even though I know i could do better by increasing my odds and forgoing the come bet, that is just not as much fun.
"Mathematical expectation has nothing to do with results." (Sklansky, Theory of Poker).
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 263
July 5th, 2010 at 10:13:32 AM permalink
Too much for me to remember ...
And I'd just do 2x odds if you are at a five dollar table or else make it 1x odds but not try to remember anything. Heck if the bet is a fair one ... why complicate things with calculations. Make it or don't make it.

Here's hoping Variance smiles favorably upon you.
RonDiaz
RonDiaz
  • Threads: 4
July 5th, 2010 at 10:19:01 AM permalink
Thanks for the thoughts everyone. I am going down today to play actually since it's a day off, and they have $3 craps during the day. Also I have $300 buyin today.

I am thinking PL with 2x odds and 2-3 come bets with 2x odds...except I assume on the 6 and 8 I have to make $5 or $10 odds for the pays to be right?
DrEntropy
DrEntropy
  • Threads: 27
July 5th, 2010 at 10:45:09 AM permalink
Quote: RonDiaz

Thanks for the thoughts everyone. I am going down today to play actually since it's a day off, and they have $3 craps during the day. Also I have $300 buyin today.

I am thinking PL with 2x odds and 2-3 come bets with 2x odds...except I assume on the 6 and 8 I have to make $5 or $10 odds for the pays to be right?

$300 at a $3 table gives you plenty of room to play, and your plan sounds good! Yes on the 6/8 you will want to make it $5 or $10 unless they have something smaller then $1 chips (unlikely).

Good Luck!
"Mathematical expectation has nothing to do with results." (Sklansky, Theory of Poker).

• Jump to: