teddys
teddys
  • Threads: 150
April 18th, 2011 at 11:17:37 AM permalink
Quote: gog

A number of years ago I came home to find a scratch ticket in our mailbox, accompanied by a brief letter saying every household in the neighborhood was getting one as part of some promotion, details are quite fuzzy now though I saw the neighbors got one as well. What I do remember is playing it and uncovering the grand prize, a quarter million dollars. After a family meeting we couldn't decide what to do with it, it looked obviously too good to be true but then we couldn't figure why anyone would spend that time and resource for a hoax. We floated several theories around, including the Nigerian 'advance fee' scam, or a tv prank show where the cameraman would ambush us when we went to collect the prize. None of us played those things at the time so we didn't even think to check with the gaming commission, the card just sat there on the kitchen table.

By nightfall my dad finally trashed it, declaring that 'nobody just walks by and shoves a quarter million dollars in your mail'. I never found out about it, still piques my curiosity every once in a while.

Wouldn't be good anyway since you didn't pay for it and there was no consideration for the prize. Wouldn't have held up legally anywhere.

Any promotion requires you to give something in return. Even giving personal info for a players club card is enough. I would rest easy.

(I don't know how this jibes with the "no purchase required" portion of a lot of sweepstakes, so I'm partially talking out of my a$$ here. Lawyers?)
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
DJTeddyBear
DJTeddyBear
  • Threads: 178
April 18th, 2011 at 1:07:12 PM permalink
Quote: teddys

Any promotion requires you to give something in return. Even giving personal info for a players club card is enough. I would rest easy.

(I don't know how this jibes with the "no purchase required" portion of a lot of sweepstakes, so I'm partially talking out of my a$$ here. Lawyers?)

I'm no lawyer, but I sometimes pretend to be one...

I've seen those contests too. I've also seen that the fine print says they can use the name/photo of winners for promotional purposes. So if N&A is goos enough for players cards, name & photo should be good enough for contests.
Superstitions are silly, childish, irrational rituals, born out of fear of the unknown. But how much does it cost to knock on wood? 😁
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
April 18th, 2011 at 2:12:22 PM permalink
If they make you pay for the ticket its an unlawful lottery. Thats why fast food promotions can limit you to one visit per hour but can't say 'we are only giving the ticket to paying customers'.

Its undoubtedly a worthless ticket. Some merchant once sent dozens of "checks" out that were clearly just 5,000 dollars off coupons on buying a car at his dealership or something but vaguely resembled a check sufficient to fool one very dumb couple who promptly went out and spent all their savings celebrating because they would receive 5,000 dollars the following Monday.
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
April 18th, 2011 at 3:31:14 PM permalink
Sad story, back in 1998, remember when Pepsi had those under-the-cap games on their 20oz products? You could win a million dollars, or a Mustang, or more likely, another 20oz beverage. Almost 100% of the time you either got a 20oz or nothing, which was shown under the cap in that cheap dot print that just said '20oz' or 'try again'.

I was on my way to Berrie, Ontario when we stopped at the local Hess and I grabbed a 20oz Pepsi. When I cracked the top, the underside of the cap had a white insert where the cheap dot print usually was. It said 'Jackpot' around one edge, the french word for 'Jackpot' on the opposite edge, and a bunch of other details in the middle all printed in crisp laserjet. But it didn't say what I won.

Needless to say, the 17yr old mind on his way to a Beastie Boys concert doesn't make the best decisions, and I didn't feel like taking time out of my get drunk and chase girls schedule to make a phone call. Today, if you were to search my father basement for my jar of oddities, you'll find this very bottle cap.

I'm almost afraid to ask, but any ideas on what I missed out on? I'm still kind of curious, even though part of me doesn't want to know. Convincing myself that it simply looked funny because it was Canadian lets me sleep at night.
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
April 18th, 2011 at 7:21:27 PM permalink
Quote: Face

I'm almost afraid to ask, but any ideas on what I missed out on? I'm still kind of curious, even though part of me doesn't want to know. Convincing myself that it simply looked funny because it was Canadian lets me sleep at night.

Ouch. It is possible you missed out on a Harley or a Jeep Wrangler... or a pair of fashionable sunglasses:

Quote: Creative Magazine, Week of May 18, 1998

'Pepsi Pop Culture' Promotion Launched
The "Pepsi Pop Culture" promotion has launched nationwide inviting consumers to drink Pepsi, Diet Pepsi and Mountain Dew, match the words on specially marked packages to complete popular phrases, and win prizes. Pepsi has distributed more than 130 million Pepsi Pop Culture game boards in-pack and in-store.
By completing popular phrases like The Terminator's "Hasta La Vista Baby!" to boxing's universal rallying call, "Let's Get Ready To Rumble!", consumers can win exciting celebrity experiences that include: dinner with "The Terminator" Arnold Schwarzenegger at Planet Hollywood; a $25,000 shopping spree at Mall of America with Alyssa Milano; and a VIP pass to the MTV Video Music Awards with actor VJ Bill Bellamy. In addition, Pepsi Pop Culture offers consumers more than 2.5 million instant win merchandise prizes that include Harley Davidson Motorcycles, Jeep Wranglers, free HBO for a year, CDs at Sam Goody's, and Arnette Sunglasses."

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
WizardofEngland
WizardofEngland
  • Threads: 61
April 19th, 2011 at 2:49:07 AM permalink
Three thoughts.

Firstly what if they printed the wrong numbers and the couple threw away their ticket, then the real numbers were printed and they had won, but could not find the ticket again. Much more painful.

Secondly, there was a story here about a guy buying a scratch card, winning £1mill (or other large amount), sending the junior out to buy £5,000 worth of champagne, then telling his boss to stick his job up his ass (he earned about £100,000 a year at the time) and how much he thought his boss was a douche. Then when he called the lottery to claim his winnings, was told that he hadn't scratched off the whole thing and had won nothing. He did not get to keep his job.

Thirdly, a guy won 10,000 euros, and was told he had to collect the money from the HQ rather than be paid out instantly. So he ate his ticket. http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0227/ryanair.html
http://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/general/10042-woes-black-sheep-game-ii/#post151727
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
April 19th, 2011 at 7:03:58 AM permalink
Quote: WizardofEngland

Secondly, there was a story here about a guy buying a scratch card, winning £1mill (or other large amount), sending the junior out to buy £5,000 worth of champagne, then telling his boss to stick his job up his ass (he earned about £100,000 a year at the time) and how much he thought his boss was a douche. Then when he called the lottery to claim his winnings, was told that he hadn't scratched off the whole thing and had won nothing. He did not get to keep his job.

That has URBAN LEGEND written all over it. Large prize, rash actions, lavish celebration, and an illogical reason why he didn't win.

Quote:

Thirdly, a guy won 10,000 euros, and was told he had to collect the money from the HQ rather than be paid out instantly. So he ate his ticket. http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0227/ryanair.html

He couldn't find any other paper to eat? :P
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
WizardofEngland
WizardofEngland
April 19th, 2011 at 7:43:52 AM permalink
Quote: Nareed

That has URBAN LEGEND written all over it. Large prize, rash actions, lavish celebration, and an illogical reason why he didn't win.

It is 100% true, I will find the article.
http://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/general/10042-woes-black-sheep-game-ii/#post151727
WizardofEngland
WizardofEngland
April 19th, 2011 at 7:45:07 AM permalink
Found it

http://imaginativeworlds.com/forum/showthread.php?6564-Salesman-sunk-by-mistaken-lottery-win

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/hampshire/6209462.stm
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
April 19th, 2011 at 8:00:55 AM permalink
Quote: WizardofEngland

It is 100% true, I will find the article.

Well, going by the BBC link, which I trust more, it's true, but not 100%, and the added details have made it an urban legend.

In particular both links agree the man missread his numbers. That's logical and highly probable. Not that he failed to scratch off the whole ticket and that somehow rendered it null and void, as the original post implies.

Two lottery stories:

1) Once I won a small prize (around $300 US) but had to cash it at the lotto agency's office. The machine had trouble reading the ticket, so the cashier had to input it by hand. I asked her how many winning tickets they reject and she said, "None. If a ticket is valid and reasonably whole, we pay it."

That's why I'm skeptical about lotto agencies not paying off tickets on a technicality.

2) A popular story in Mexico and Latin America tells of a man who buys anywhere from 60 to 100 lottery tickets (pre-printed), and has to sell them off before the drawing because his wife is angry he wasted so much money on the lottery. the stories vary on whether the man kept one ticket or not. in any case the number wins and the wife is forever sorry and meek.

Very nice story. Except it's a fictional short story first published in Spain many yearsa go. I've read the original story (100 tickets, guy keeps one), and it was better than the urban legends that grew around it.

So don't believe everything you read, and dont' eat your winning tickets.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal

• Jump to: