jsantee97
jsantee97
  • Threads: 5
March 28th, 2011 at 12:23:09 PM permalink
Wow...I pass on that analysis.

The thing is there is only one payout per game and it is end of game score so i personally feel like a person with doubles is at a big disadvantage.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 228
March 28th, 2011 at 12:28:37 PM permalink
Quote: jsantee97

Wow...I pass on that analysis.

The thing is there is only one payout per game and it is end of game score so i personally feel like a person with doubles is at a big disadvantage.

I never thought of the idea until I posted it. I hope no math professor is reading this and gives the assignment to his or her class.

Doubles would matter more in basketball than football. In basketball my guess is all numbers are fairly equal, maybe with a slight edge to even numbers.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
  • Threads: 112
March 28th, 2011 at 12:29:49 PM permalink
Years ago my late mother worked in a factory where almost all the employees were women. This was in Baltimore and the pools were on the Baltimore Colt's games. But the pool would never fully sell so the payouts had to be adjusted,
My dad later discovered why. They would draw the numbers for the squares before selling any spots.
jsantee97
jsantee97
  • Threads: 5
March 28th, 2011 at 12:41:59 PM permalink
Haha. Tthat makes perfect sence.

I have been in football pools with the squares and I would say that with football there are a large percentage of squares with crappy numbers...but with football i fugure that is the luck of the draw. However in basketball, such as the NCAA tournament, there really are no "bad" numbers (except for doubles) because of the 2 & 3 point increments and even 1. In my case with the basketball pool there are 10 squares that have no chance of winning unless the game goes to overtime.....and the game ends with a ten point margin. And honestly, if a basketball game goes into overtime, what are the odds that a team is going to outscore the other by 10 in the 5 minute period....just saying.

Maybe i am overly bitter, but this guy also stopped hosting poker tournaments because he never got tipped. Obviously he is doing these things for extra money and not because he simply enjoys them.
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
  • Threads: 112
March 28th, 2011 at 12:52:31 PM permalink
Also helps to be lucky Mom's brother, my Uncle George, a fireman, was in the Captains office on the day after his promotion
to Lieutenant. Another Captain stopped by and too George's superior he had saved 2 for $1 raffle tickets for him.
George's boss to be was notourusly tight with money and " Said, I'll takew just one, George will take the other
one" What could Uncle George do ?? That's how Aunt Evie got to drive a brand new 1957 Plymouth LOL
After retiring George was in Zizzimos bar who ran a $100 a square with no cut for his customers, A guy
offered to split a square with George. But by the time George got back to the bar the guy had found a new
partner. George walked hom again and came back a bought a square all by himself Got 0&0 , won three
quarters . George and Aunt Evie went to Hawaii
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 228
March 28th, 2011 at 2:16:21 PM permalink
Quote: jsantee97

Maybe i am overly bitter, but this guy also stopped hosting poker tournaments because he never got tipped. Obviously he is doing these things for extra money and not because he simply enjoys them.

If he put a vig on the entry fee there was no reason to tip him. Sounds like someone needs to explain the concept that people will rather pay $2 once than $1 twice for the same service to him.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
NandB
NandB
  • Threads: 8
June 22nd, 2011 at 2:07:54 PM permalink
Agreed on this point.
1.) NO PAY NO PLAY... and money before signing block.
2.) Price the block pool so that it fills usually $5 or $10
3.) Small pools? wager on last digit of total score, these are usually final score or Half & Final (30 & 70). (Example: 28-21 score, the last digit adds to 9)

Now MHO on the OP: Price of the block if you win, thats 4% total fair enuff.
To err is human. To air is Jordan. To arrr is pirate.
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 106
June 23rd, 2011 at 11:45:00 AM permalink
If the person running the pool expects a cut, then he/she should set the prizes so that there is something left over "for his/her trouble." If the others have a problem with that, have one of them run the pool.

However, I agree that, in a game among friends or co-workers, no tips should be expected.
(Also, no credit - cash up front, or you're not in.)
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
June 23rd, 2011 at 4:37:01 PM permalink
If you can't fill 100 squares, consider making the grid 5X5 instead, and draw two numbers for each row/column.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
Toes14
Toes14
  • Threads: 18
June 23rd, 2011 at 5:58:36 PM permalink
Thoughts:

1) Would Chuck have been expelled if he used "frickin" or "F***ing"? Or was it not the cursing but the tone of his post? (Or both?)

2) I've never seen any tipping in any office pool of any kind - NCAA, Superbowl, or weekly NFL Pick 'Em. The closest thing to it I've ever experienced was that the guy who compiled all of the numbers of our work fantasy football league (before it was internet based) only had to pay a $25 entry fee instead of $50 for the league.

3) If you have trouble selling the squares in a 10 x 10 grid game, try multi-level pricing. We usually do $2 per square or 3 for $5.
"Bite my Glorious Golden Ass!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez

• Jump to: