AZDuffman
AZDuffman
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 228
  • Posts: 12544
November 15th, 2010 at 4:15:12 PM permalink
Quote: DJTeddyBear

I gotta be honest. When I first read this, I was unsure if this reply had the right tone. It seemed a little ... I don't know ... like a parent scolding a child.

Apparently, it was the correct action, since Chuck's reaction was nothing short of a temper tantrum.

---

Now back to the thread.

I wonder why the woman running the pool thinks she deserves a tip. I also wonder why she is selling boxes on credit.

What happens if someone fails to pay? Is she stuck buying the box herself? Is that why she tries to get a tip? To help her pay for the boxes she is stuck with? ....And didn't win with?

What would have happened if one of those credit boxes remained unpaid, and won?



I think she has a cutoff and unpaid boxes will be recycle resold. But lets just say there is a high degree of office politics where I work despite it being a great place to work otherwise. To me it is silly to let the weekly box game squares be sold on credit (a high-value SUperBowl Box that is anoter story-those are almost always sold on a lay-away plan.) But to quote a wise person, "I see nothing, NOTHING! Col Hogan I do not know, I do not WANT to know."
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
Dween
Dween
Joined: Jan 24, 2010
  • Threads: 66
  • Posts: 339
November 16th, 2010 at 4:37:37 AM permalink
Quote: DJTeddyBear

And the big question: What do you tell someone who won, but can't be paid yet, because your credit customers haven't paid up yet?

That has never been a problem... since the Derby happens over the weekend, people scrounge up the money by Monday, which is when I start paying out. I've never really thought about having to pay people out of my own pocket while people are in debt to me, since the amount owed in total is probably only $20-$40... along with the fact that I've never had an issue with someone not paying (eventually). If I see someone that has won, or they come to me, I pay them, period.

I know some of you are probably thinking I'm either too trusting, or a little nuts to dig into my own wallet to make good on winning tickets. I submit that it is a unique situation, with non-life changing amounts of money, and a tight-knit workplace. Your mileage may vary.
-Dween!
I808
I808
Joined: Feb 19, 2010
  • Threads: 0
  • Posts: 27
November 17th, 2010 at 1:43:17 AM permalink
In Hawaii when you win something like a block pool or any kind of betting pool, you always peel a little off and give something to the person who organized it. There is a word for it -- barato (not sure of the spelling ... pronounced bah rah toe ... but said quickly). It is a way of sharing your fortune with the person that made it happen. It is a superstition to continue your good fortune. Now the person organizing the pool can't outright ask for barato, because that would be bad luck.
Like they say in the marijuana industry "Sometimes you gotta roll your own!" (At the craps table that is)
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
Joined: Oct 14, 2009
  • Threads: 1399
  • Posts: 23633
November 17th, 2010 at 5:55:57 AM permalink
Quote: I808

There is a word for it -- barato (not sure of the spelling ... pronounced bah rah toe ... but said quickly).



That is the Spanish word for cheap, like a cheap price. I've been to Hawaii three times, and things are kind of different there. However, here, I still would be cheap, and not barato.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
jsantee97
jsantee97
Joined: Mar 25, 2011
  • Threads: 5
  • Posts: 51
March 28th, 2011 at 9:41:30 AM permalink
It looks like this died out awhile ago but anyway...I used to be in a pool with the squares - final scores and 100 boxes. The pool organizer would keep $80 of the $2500 total money ($25/sq) of the pool funds for running the pool, thus giving himself a manditory built-in tip. I always thought this was rediculous but kept doing the pool for a year or two after i figured out he was not paying out all that was brought in because I enjoy them and it makes the NCAA tournament more exciting to watch.

Anyway the final straw was the fact that his payout was for the final score and not the end of regulation score, which i never realized that until it happened to me. I felt this gives people with the same numbers (such as 2-2) a disadvantage because if a game goes into overtime, they have a decreased chance of winning becasue the only way for them to win is if a team wins by 10, 20, 30... Anyway there was an argument and i stoped doing his pool all together. Am i wrong on the disadvantage of having similar numbers and the game score not ending at regulation?
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 228
  • Posts: 12544
March 28th, 2011 at 9:46:13 AM permalink
Quote: jsantee97

It looks like this died out awhile ago but anyway...I used to be in a pool with the squares - final scores and 100 boxes. The pool organizer would keep $80 of the $2500 total money ($25/sq) of the pool funds for running the pool, thus giving himself a manditory built-in tip. I always thought this was rediculous but kept doing the pool for a year or two after i figured out he was not paying out all that was brought in because I enjoy them and it makes the NCAA tournament more exciting to watch.

Anyway the final straw was the fact that his payout was for the final score and not the end of regulation score, which i never realized that until it happened to me. I felt this gives people with the same numbers (such as 2-2) a disadvantage because if a game goes into overtime, they have a decreased chance of winning becasue the only way for them to win is if a team wins by 10, 20, 30... Anyway there was an argument and i stoped doing his pool all together. Am i wrong on the disadvantage of having similar numbers and the game score not ending at regulation?



It should not matter, assuming a fair distribution of numbers you have the same chance of getting 2-2 and 2-9, or whatever. You seem right about it being a disadvantage, but when you buy a block you are just buying a fancy raffle ticket that takes time to draw.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
jsantee97
jsantee97
Joined: Mar 25, 2011
  • Threads: 5
  • Posts: 51
March 28th, 2011 at 9:46:18 AM permalink
On another note, I used to run a bracket pool for the NCAA tournament and would never expect a tip. I ran the pool purely becasue i enjoyed it. However, I would accept credit entries simply becasue it is so much easier to transfer brackets electronically then money. I have never not accomplished my collecting before the end of the tournament but decided to stop running it because i got tired of having to pester people for money prior to the end of the tournament.

Thanks for your input.
jsantee97
jsantee97
Joined: Mar 25, 2011
  • Threads: 5
  • Posts: 51
March 28th, 2011 at 9:49:21 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

It should not matter, assuming a fair distribution of numbers you have the same chance of getting 2-2 and 2-9, or whatever. You seem right about it being a disadvantage, but when you buy a block you are just buying a fancy raffle ticket that takes time to draw.



I just felt that way becasue for example if I have 2-2 and you have 2-1 I can only win if there is a 10 point difference in final score, where you can win if there is a 1 or 11 point difference.

Thanks for your comment.
DJTeddyBear
DJTeddyBear
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 191
  • Posts: 10551
March 28th, 2011 at 10:17:18 AM permalink
We don't have basketball pools, but I would always ask the similar question about the SuperBowl pool: What happens if it's tied and goes to overtime?

The standard response is "That never happened." Of course, it almost happened this year.

Personally, if I were running the pool, I'd pay the normal 12.5%/25%/12.5%/50% if it ended after 4 quarters, or 10%/20%/10%/10%/50% if it goes to overtime. I get nowhere when I suggest that...
I invented a few casino games. Info: http://www.DaveMillerGaming.com/ 覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧 Superstitions are silly, childish, irrational rituals, born out of fear of the unknown. But how much does it cost to knock on wood? 😁
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 228
  • Posts: 12544
March 28th, 2011 at 11:26:10 AM permalink
Quote: DJTeddyBear

We don't have basketball pools, but I would always ask the similar question about the SuperBowl pool: What happens if it's tied and goes to overtime?

The standard response is "That never happened." Of course, it almost happened this year.



My answer to that was always simple--make the payout say "final" and not "4th qtr."

Here is a neat math question, maybe even worthy of an "Ask the Wizard" column? What would be the optimal value of different numbered squares?

Lets take a $10 block pool paying 25% on the halftime and 75% on the final with no rake for the bookie. $1,000 is in play. We all know 7/4 is far better than 8/5. What if you could "buy" the numbers you wanted. Would 7/4 be worth $20 or more and 5/2 only $2? Anyone into self-abuse enough to get a mathematically-proven price grid?
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others

  • Jump to: