Lovecomps
Lovecomps
  • Threads: 59
September 10th, 2019 at 4:02:48 PM permalink
Quote: cowboy

But there is no Come bet on a Come-out roll and using the place to pay the odds does not work unless that number rolls after a point is established.

The two answers here that make the most sense are why have it working when a 7 wins? And right (light?) side bettors (who will make place rather than lay bets) are rooting for the shooter.

Also would anyone turn off a lay bet on a come out? Similar principle applies, except then everyone can be happy.

As a committed darkside player I stopped caring about the rolls that make people happy a long time ago :-)
The best things in life are not free.
Calder
Calder
  • Threads: 5
Thanks for this post from:
ChumpChangebeachbumbabs
September 10th, 2019 at 11:07:00 PM permalink
Quote: unJon

Because people like to root for the shooter and seven is a winner on the comeout for the shooter.

That's really changed at my local.

A comeout seven is often met with grumbling and flying cheques as the All / Tall / Small gets reset.

A dealer remarked recently, "I remember when you guys cheered comeout naturals."
DJTeddyBear
DJTeddyBear
  • Threads: 176
Thanks for this post from:
ChumpChangeTumblingBones
September 11th, 2019 at 5:49:46 AM permalink
Quote: Calder

That's really changed at my local.

A comeout seven is often met with grumbling and flying cheques as the All / Tall / Small gets reset.

A dealer remarked recently, "I remember when you guys cheered comeout naturals."

And that’s EXACTLY why I proposed a version of ATS where come out rolls are ignored.

Same house edge. Lower hold, but also less wasted time.
Superstitions are silly, childish, irrational rituals, born out of fear of the unknown. But how much does it cost to knock on wood? 😁 Note that the same could be said for Religion. I.E. Religion is nothing more than organized superstition. 🤗
cowboy
cowboy
September 14th, 2019 at 10:03:47 AM permalink
Quote: DJTeddyBear

And that’s EXACTLY why I proposed a version of ATS where come out rolls are ignored.

Same house edge. Lower hold, but also less wasted time.

How could it be the same house edge when the house won't collect those bets a certain percentage of the time?
Last edited by: cowboy on Sep 14, 2019
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 290
September 14th, 2019 at 10:15:22 AM permalink

How could it be the same house edge when the house won't take those bets a certain percentage of the time?

Assuming I am answering the right question, a dealer wouldn't decline to allow a bet because it's disadvantageous to the house for edge reasons, like declining to allow making a don't pass bet after the point is established, as that favors the player

I'm pretty sure you can make most bets anytime at many places if you tell them you want them working, but those places that decline just don't want the confusion of allowing a bet that is instantly "off"
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!” She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
cowboy
cowboy
September 14th, 2019 at 11:08:05 AM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

Assuming I am answering the right question, ...

I clarified my question and if you are answering it, I do not understand your answer.
unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 9
September 14th, 2019 at 11:57:18 AM permalink

How could it be the same house edge when the house won't collect those bets a certain percentage of the time?

It changes the HE per roll but not the HE per resolved bet. Because the house also wouldn’t be marking other rolls that happen on the come out. So it washes out.

To use an analogous situation, turning off place bets on the come out does not change the HE per resolved bet. It just means the place bets have slightly more rolls per resolution.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
cowboy
cowboy
September 14th, 2019 at 11:55:49 PM permalink
"Because the house also wouldn’t be marking other rolls that happen on the come out. So it washes out."

Thanks!
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 261
September 15th, 2019 at 12:27:29 AM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

I have my odds always working and I have my place bets always working.
just a habit. I accept the risks.

I make no claim to this being either good or bad. it is not outlandish or foolish, the dealers don't snicker. The dealers sometimes pay off the bet and sometimes they take the chips. Same as just about every other thing in craps.

• Jump to: