Thread Rating:

Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
March 21st, 2017 at 7:41:20 AM permalink
Quote: OnceDear

Anyways, it had an upside. Inspired me to pop £46 into my online account and play it up to £150 before cashing out.

This movie got me back into counting again after moving to poker. Had I not gone back, I wouldn't have met the people I did nor learn all the advanced AP stuff or there.
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
gordonm888
gordonm888
  • Threads: 34
March 21st, 2017 at 6:05:45 PM permalink
I used to be a card counter in the 1980s. Unfortunately, I had many family members and friends who went to see "21" to understand better what I once did and then expected to "celebrate" the movie with me when they next saw me.

This movie was a completely bogus depiction of card counting. There are many movies that have accurately and successfully depicted an "activity" or "profession" in a given historical time period - but card counting (and gambling in general) have never been the subject of such a movie. "21" is worse than no movie at all because it misinforms people about the activity and the type of people who did it.

"21" is to card counting what "The Jeffrey Dahmer Story" is to the South Beach diet.
So many better men, a few of them friends, were dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things lived on, and so did I.
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
March 21st, 2017 at 6:09:20 PM permalink
Quote: gordonm888

This movie was a completely bogus depiction of card counting. There are many movies that have accurately and successfully depicted an "activity" or "profession" in a given historical time period - but card counting (and gambling in general) have never been the subject of such a movie. "21" is worse than no movie at all because it misinforms people about the activity and the type of people who did it.

MGM studios financed it. Of course there wasn't going to be much accuracy.
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!

• Jump to: