billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 175
November 2nd, 2019 at 6:08:27 AM permalink
Wasn't there just a thread on how low the minimums were in Atlantic City? As someone who moved to Vegas intending to do what the OP wants to do, it can be done but it's a waste of time. So many better plays to be had.
Gandler
Gandler
  • Threads: 31
November 2nd, 2019 at 8:05:40 AM permalink
Quote: sabre

Can someone explain to me why someone would be ok playing 6 decks but not 8 decks?

If you are not counting the difference is negligible.

I actually prefer more decks for flat play because less shuffle breaks and longer play time.
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 21
Thanks for this post from:
aruzin
November 2nd, 2019 at 8:09:03 AM permalink
I guess someone smarter than I can do the math on this, but I can't imagine that the difference between 6 and 8 decks has any practical bearing whatsoever when you're playing two hours a day for $5 a hand just for fun.

Furthermore, how can that level of play be generating any comps at all? I remember playing on that level like that 15 years ago and that wasn't even good enough for a drink, let alone a whole meal.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 72
November 2nd, 2019 at 9:39:19 AM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

I guess someone smarter than I can do the math on this, but I can't imagine that the difference between 6 and 8 decks has any practical bearing whatsoever when you're playing two hours a day for $5 a hand just for fun.

Furthermore, how can that level of play be generating any comps at all? I remember playing on that level like that 15 years ago and that wasn't even good enough for a drink, let alone a whole meal.

I think a pretty good comp estimate is 1/3 of your average bet per hour. So it would not surprise me if a $5 player would get $1.50 an hour in comps. Playing 8 hours a day should get someone one cheap comped meal per day.
Living longer does not always infer +EV
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
November 2nd, 2019 at 10:37:08 AM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

when you're playing ................... just for fun.

Is that a euphemism for losing?
billryan
billryan
November 2nd, 2019 at 10:53:34 AM permalink
Quote: Gandler

If you are not counting the difference is negligible.

I actually prefer more decks for flat play because less shuffle breaks and longer play time.

For a non advantage player, the fewer hands per hour is better. It's one of the most insidious things about a CSM. You end up playing more hands against the house edge. The only time the player isn't at a disadvantage is during the shuffle break.
If one can count six decks, they can count eight decks.
bj4fun
bj4fun
  • Threads: 21
November 2nd, 2019 at 10:56:40 AM permalink
Quote: heatmap

I dont know if you live anywhere near PA but I know that Mount Airy has $5 games but they are 8 decks. They have surrender, and stand on soft 17. The price goes up during popular days but any other time they are cheap. This may be outdated info but occasionally i mention it to people and they agree that they still have $5 tables

Haven't seen any $5 tables at Mount Airy recently, though $10 is still wide spread with $15 when it gets real busy. 8 Decks but the good PA rules.
billryan
billryan
November 2nd, 2019 at 10:59:38 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

I think a pretty good comp estimate is 1/3 of your average bet per hour. So it would not surprise me if a $5 player would get $1.50 an hour in comps. Playing 8 hours a day should get someone one cheap comped meal per day.

If you follow Jean Scott, you can pretty much eat for free weekdays with minimal play and risk. It's more about comp sucking than actually gambling but it beats dumpster diving or panhandling.
MaxPen
MaxPen
  • Threads: 13
November 2nd, 2019 at 11:09:12 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

If you follow Jean Scott, you can pretty much eat for free weekdays with minimal play and risk. It's more about comp sucking than actually gambling but it beats dumpster diving or panhandling.

This forum has some self proclaimed experts at dumpster diving. I wonder if they would agree with that?
DeMango
DeMango
  • Threads: 27
November 2nd, 2019 at 11:16:09 AM permalink
Quote: GWAE

Move to PA , we have all that.

Thought it was Washington State according to Sir Munchkin?
When a rock is thrown into a pack of dogs, the one that yells the loudest is the one who got hit.

• Jump to: