sammydv
sammydv
Joined: Mar 25, 2016
  • Threads: 9
  • Posts: 618
January 15th, 2017 at 11:47:24 AM permalink
I see the same cards dealt on simple video poker hands way less than a 52 card deck. From what I understood, video poker randomizes every new hand as a new 52 card deck, thus one can't play video poker as in say, counting cards. If this is true, people using old table strategy will lose probably all the time.

Then what does the casino claim? Oh, we use 8 deck video poker? Where would I find such info, it's never seems to be on the games themselves.

And here's another casino mind thing I'm seeing more and more of. Giant multi-denomination multi play default penny games where there's a minimum of 10 dollars needed to start and and can't cash out until after the first play but that first play is like 3 dollars or more. Right off the bat, it forces people to deposit more than they are likely, normally to play at a machine to start. Yea, yea, I know, lots of people just plop 20 in anyways. I'm talking about retired people who seem to work the penny/nickle games so much. The casino is forcing people now to put in a guaranteed minimum to lose first thing. And that people accept this is also a mental thing when compared to what they used to do using their own decisions.

There is nothing, NOTHING that a casino does by mistake. All casinos have experts in psychological fields working for them. Mistakes seem to be limited to actual games on the floor internally by designers when and if AP's can find the flaws. And those, we know are usually taken care of in short order.
Last edited by: sammydv on Jan 15, 2017
sammydv
sammydv
Joined: Mar 25, 2016
  • Threads: 9
  • Posts: 618
January 15th, 2017 at 11:59:36 AM permalink
Quote: MathExtremist

Fake near miss: if the slot machine is going to spin to "blank blank blank", replacing that with another 0-value outcome but an exciting one like "seven seven blank" where the seven is just above the blank on the 3rd reel. That's a violation of NGC reg 14 as of about 1988.

Real near misses are naturally derived from the use of weighted reels (or unweighted reels too, they're just less likely). Those are allowed. If you increase the weight of a blank next to a jackpot symbol, you'll see the jackpot symbol off the payline more often than you would if the weights were equal.

I'm seeing that all the time so I'm not sure the casinos are even worried about regs from 88'. See it on video slots as well. Blank-blank-jackpot, on the line, above or below. JP-JP-blank. Lot of times on games if you don't put in max coins, even 2 JP won't pay out. Or pay out small. I think those regs went out the window with the multi-line, multi-4+ reel video slots.
Crazy games like 5+ reels and 30 lines.
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
Joined: Jan 12, 2010
  • Threads: 68
  • Posts: 11933
January 15th, 2017 at 12:01:06 PM permalink
Quote: sammydv

I see the same cards dealt on simple video poker hands way less than a 52 card deck. From what I understood, video poker randomizes every new hand as a new 52 card deck, thus one can't play video poker as in say, counting cards. If this is true, people using old table strategy will lose probably all the time.

Then what does the casino claim? Oh, we use 8 deck video poker? Where would I find such info, it's never seems to be on the games themselves.

And here's another casino mind thing I'm seeing more and more of. Giant multi-denomination multi play default penny games where there's a minimum of 10 dollars needed to start and and can't cash out until after the first play but that first play is like 3 dollars or more. Right off the bat, it forces people to deposit more than they are likely, normally to play at a machine to start. Yea, yea, I know, lots of people just plop 20 in anyways. I'm talking about retired people who seem to work the penny/nickle games so much. The casino is forcing people now to put in a guaranteed minimum to lose first thing. And that people accept this is also a mental thing when compared to what they used to do using their own decisions.

There is nothing, NOTHING that a casino does by mistake. All casinos have experts in psychological fields working for them.


All standard video poker games use one deck of cards and are shuffled after every hand.
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
monet0412
monet0412
Joined: Feb 18, 2016
  • Threads: 9
  • Posts: 627
January 15th, 2017 at 4:42:52 PM permalink
I know this crew and players in Vegas that always and I mean always talk about how the machines are rigged. Heck, one players nick name is the Rig Man! They complain every day and every night but they never stop playing video poker or progressives when they are winners. It's obvious they just like to cry and tell everyone how the games are rigged. This is basically the same information I see in this thread.

If this was true I would of been bust long ago and never stepped foot in a Casino again. About the question of the Casinos manipulating the games and environment to be more addictive?? The answer is undoubtedly... YES! I wouldn't put it past the Casino to do things illegally since I've known of Casinos already paying fines for manipulating video poker to hold back certain cards. However this is not something that happens very often and the Casino certainly does not need to cheat to win.
RS
RS
Joined: Feb 11, 2014
  • Threads: 62
  • Posts: 8623
January 15th, 2017 at 5:44:18 PM permalink
Quote: sammydv

I see the same cards dealt on simple video poker hands way less than a 52 card deck. From what I understood, video poker randomizes every new hand as a new 52 card deck, thus one can't play video poker as in say, counting cards. If this is true, people using old table strategy will lose probably all the time.

Then what does the casino claim? Oh, we use 8 deck video poker? Where would I find such info, it's never seems to be on the games themselves.

And here's another casino mind thing I'm seeing more and more of. Giant multi-denomination multi play default penny games where there's a minimum of 10 dollars needed to start and and can't cash out until after the first play but that first play is like 3 dollars or more. Right off the bat, it forces people to deposit more than they are likely, normally to play at a machine to start. Yea, yea, I know, lots of people just plop 20 in anyways. I'm talking about retired people who seem to work the penny/nickle games so much. The casino is forcing people now to put in a guaranteed minimum to lose first thing. And that people accept this is also a mental thing when compared to what they used to do using their own decisions.

There is nothing, NOTHING that a casino does by mistake. All casinos have experts in psychological fields working for them. Mistakes seem to be limited to actual games on the floor internally by designers when and if AP's can find the flaws. And those, we know are usually taken care of in short order.



If you were playing a multi-deck VP game, then surely sometimes the same card would be dealt or drawn (in the same hand), no?


wtfisthisthread.jpg
billryan
billryan
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 217
  • Posts: 13347
January 15th, 2017 at 6:44:12 PM permalink
Five of a kinds!
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
billryan
billryan
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 217
  • Posts: 13347
January 15th, 2017 at 6:46:02 PM permalink
January 15th, 2017 at 11:22:21 AM
permalink
Quote: billryan
Video poker machines do not give a player more opportunities for the Royal Flush. Statements like that cause me to question many of the authors other statements.
Can you post up the part where they are talking about that please ?



Here it is. I misread it, but here is what I misread. I thought he was talking about going for four to a royal. My bad.

"But over time, designers of video-poker machines discovered that they could influence gamblersí behavior by manipulating game details. They saw, for instance, patrons going more often for four of a kind than the royal flush, a rarer but more lucrative hand, and they adjusted the machines accordingly"
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
Joined: May 21, 2013
  • Threads: 99
  • Posts: 14234
January 15th, 2017 at 7:27:59 PM permalink
They did not 'adjust the machines '. They adjusted the paytables, which affected strategy. Taken in the larger context of the article leading up to this statement, as well as the phrasing, the strong implication is that the machines are gaffed somehow, which was either the author's intent, or inadvertent allusion. We're still left interpreting what they did mean.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
Joined: Oct 10, 2012
  • Threads: 154
  • Posts: 20261
January 15th, 2017 at 8:00:07 PM permalink
Quote: sammydv

I see the same cards dealt on simple video poker hands way less than a 52 card deck. From what I understood, video poker randomizes every new hand as a new 52 card deck, thus one can't play video poker as in say, counting cards. If this is true, people using old table strategy will lose probably all the time.

Then what does the casino claim? Oh, we use 8 deck video poker? Where would I find such info, it's never seems to be on the games themselves.

And here's another casino mind thing I'm seeing more and more of. Giant multi-denomination multi play default penny games where there's a minimum of 10 dollars needed to start and and can't cash out until after the first play but that first play is like 3 dollars or more. Right off the bat, it forces people to deposit more than they are likely, normally to play at a machine to start. Yea, yea, I know, lots of people just plop 20 in anyways. I'm talking about retired people who seem to work the penny/nickle games so much. The casino is forcing people now to put in a guaranteed minimum to lose first thing. And that people accept this is also a mental thing when compared to what they used to do using their own decisions.

There is nothing, NOTHING that a casino does by mistake. All casinos have experts in psychological fields working for them. Mistakes seem to be limited to actual games on the floor internally by designers when and if AP's can find the flaws. And those, we know are usually taken care of in short order.

No you can't count cards on a VP machine. I just assumed everyone around here knew that.

For the most part you CAN'T gain an advantage on the VP game itself. There are a quite a few expeditions like.... full pay and various forms of deuces wild, various Jokers wild, one eyed jacks, Double Double Bonus, All American, 10/7 double bonus, bonus feature machines. There's been many other forms and variants of +EV machines Like 103% All American I know of 3 occasions only. 10/6 jacks 2 places only. There are some I have never actually seen. Basically This stuff is extinct, rare and generally offered only as enticements, novelties or mistakes.

You must find something extra the casino is offering like a special promotions, progressives, drawings, club benefits, rebates, mistakes etc. With a few exceptions you have to do or have something extra to beat any casino game like card counting. On rare occasions they make a mistake math wise. There's been good rules Blackjack games offered with a small advantage off the top, including Video BJ(Williams comes to mind, IIRC it was .4 off the top) .
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
Hunterhill
Hunterhill
Joined: Aug 1, 2011
  • Threads: 50
  • Posts: 2017
January 15th, 2017 at 9:52:43 PM permalink
Quote: monet0412

I wouldn't put it past the Casino to do things illegally since I've known of Casinos already paying fines for manipulating video poker to hold back certain cards. However this is not something that happens very often and the Casino certainly does not need to cheat to win.


Which casinos manipulated video poker and when.
Do you have any links ?
The mountain is tall but grass grows on top of the mountain.

  • Jump to: