10 votes (8.4%)
4 votes (3.36%)
3 votes (2.52%)

119 members have voted

MichaelBluejay
MichaelBluejay
  • Threads: 81
October 20th, 2016 at 2:17:51 PM permalink
And when you include all taxes (including state and local), the top 1% had 21.9% of income and paid 23.8% of all taxes, which is just barely progressive.

The bottom 99% had paid 76% of all taxes, which is the overwhelming majority of it.

Stop cherry-picking your data.

http://ctj.org/pdf/taxday2015.pdf
Presidential Election polls and odds: https://2605.me/p
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 89
October 20th, 2016 at 2:33:05 PM permalink
We are at my all time favorite Presidential event
The Al Smith dinner
Its perfect timing and really needed.
People need to able to laugh, even Presidential candidates.
In the past this has been a wonderful event
Last cycle, I thought Obama and Rommney killed it
They were great.
The jokes were funny, they were both laughing
I have no doubt Clinton will kill it tonight.
She was high fiving her staff after the debate last night
She's in a good mood and that is crucial to pull off good comedy
Trump on the other hand
He is on such a rant and so pissed off, I find it hard to see him telling some jokes and being funny and laughing along with Clinton
You never know
I got the popcorn out
Its just a forum. Nothing here to get obsessed about.
JimRockford
JimRockford
  • Threads: 12
October 20th, 2016 at 2:59:29 PM permalink
Quote: terapined

The Al Smith dinner
They were great.
Trump on the other hand
He is on such a rant and so pissed off, I find it hard to see him telling some jokes and being funny and laughing along with Clinton
You never know
I got the popcorn out

He could send Alec Baldwin if he's not up to it.
"Truth is ever to be found in the simplicity, and not in the multiplicity and confusion of things." -- Isaac Newton
RonC
RonC
  • Threads: 40
October 20th, 2016 at 3:01:01 PM permalink
Quote: terapined

The Al Smith dinner
They were great.
Trump on the other hand
You never know
I got the popcorn out

"In 2000, George W. Bush joked: "This is an impressive crowd -- the haves and the have-mores. Some people call you the elite; I call you my base."''

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2016/10/20/Clinton-Trump-to-face-off-again-at-Al-Smith-Dinner/6581476984685/

Cardinal Dolan gets the honor of sitting between them...
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
October 20th, 2016 at 3:36:45 PM permalink
Quote:

In an apparent move to embarrass the United States over Donald Trump's claims of a "rigged" presidential election, Russia sought to send monitors to U.S. polling stations for the Nov. 8 vote, Russian media revealed Thursday.

Kind of sad really.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/amid-rigged-vote-claims-russia-wants-monitors-in-us/ar-AAjc4xJ?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartanntp
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
ams288
ams288
  • Threads: 22
October 20th, 2016 at 4:19:13 PM permalink
THIS is why Trump sticks to the friendly faces at Fox News for his national interviews these days:

Ding Dong the Witch is Dead
terapined
terapined
October 20th, 2016 at 5:17:07 PM permalink
No shaking of hands.
Clinton entered first shook hands with Melania and took her seat
Then Trump entered and took his seat so they did not cross paths
Only separated by one seat , they are speaking to each other
For several minutes they clearly had a back and forth conversation

here is the live youtube feed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckHVrPysbNI
Boz
Boz
  • Threads: 155
October 20th, 2016 at 5:38:11 PM permalink
Quote: ams288

Here's a random question, but this is a Vegas board after all: Does anyone know what hotel Hillary stayed at in Vegas before the debate?

Trump obviously stayed at his own hotel.

I'm just curious. I tried to google it and I couldn't find the answer.

I would say whichever hotel paid her the most. Even a biased guy like you understands it's all about the money with her. Wait, let me guess, you think she cares about you, me or anyone else. Thanks for the laugh!
Boz
Boz
  • Threads: 155
October 20th, 2016 at 5:44:33 PM permalink
Quote: MichaelBluejay

And when you include all taxes (including state and local), the top 1% had 21.9% of income and paid 23.8% of all taxes, which is just barely progressive.

The bottom 99% had paid 76% of all taxes, which is the overwhelming majority of it.

Stop cherry-picking your data.

http://ctj.org/pdf/taxday2015.pdf

Even a liberal hippy like you understands that is cherry picking data. Most taxes are paid by the working class on both sides. They are f'd by both the so called "poor" and the "rich". Not a political issue, more of a sucker issue of those who have fallen for the so called middle class 2.3 kids, house in the 'burbs dream.
Joeshlabotnik
Joeshlabotnik
  • Threads: 20
October 20th, 2016 at 5:49:30 PM permalink
Quote: MathExtremist

Too few entrepreneurs can afford that, but that won't change unless the tax breaks for health coverage that go to big businesses somehow get shifted to the individuals who are trying to start small ones.

The government, for some time now, has been openly hostile to entrepreneurs. Maybe that's because all they really want from government is that it should stay the hell out of their way.

The only way for health insurance to be affordable is for government to absorb a large portion of the costs. Otherwise, you'll have a failed market. When the ones who most want a service are precisely those who providers least want to offer it to, you have market failure, which is why the ACA has a mandatory enrollment provision. However, the penalty for not enrolling can be shrugged off, so it's not effective. But Republicans wouldn't sit for a penalty that had actual teeth. (I believe the term for a market where those who most demand a good are least likely to be provided that good is "death spiral.")

Another reform that would help entrepreneurs immensely is removing the self-employment tax penalty. You work for yourself, and suddenly your Social Security taxes are doubled. That's grossly unfair, and if small businesspeople had any actual collective political clout, something would be done about it.
Joeshlabotnik
Joeshlabotnik
October 20th, 2016 at 5:51:34 PM permalink
Quote: Boz

I would say whichever hotel paid her the most. Even a biased guy like you understands it's all about the money with her. Wait, let me guess, you think she cares about you, me or anyone else. Thanks for the laugh!

If you can actually prove that any hotel paid her to be there, I'll FedEx you a cashier's check for the amount she was "paid." Otherwise, you're just blabbering Hillary-hate.
Joeshlabotnik
Joeshlabotnik
October 20th, 2016 at 5:56:20 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Kind of sad really.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/amid-rigged-vote-claims-russia-wants-monitors-in-us/ar-AAjc4xJ?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartanntp

I really hope Obama will tell them to pound sand.

This certainly underscores the fact that Russia wants to subvert the US--just like in the good old days--and they think that keeping RepubliPutins in power is the way to do it.

I like ME's suggestion that Clinton appoint Trump ambassador to Russia. Greater Putin-love hath no man...
ams288
ams288
October 20th, 2016 at 6:18:29 PM permalink
Trump is getting booed badly at this dinner.

He started off pretty good, but quickly got too nasty towards Hillary.
ams288
ams288
October 20th, 2016 at 6:24:05 PM permalink
Quote: Boz

Why are you so angry all the time? Cause Trump is tanking so badly?

Would it be a bad thing if she stayed at the hotel that pays her the most? I stay at whichever hotel pays me the most in comps, RC, and Freeplay. Guess that makes me just like Hillary. In fact, anyone who wouldn't stay at the hotel that gives them the most would be pretty dumb, IMO.
terapined
terapined
October 20th, 2016 at 6:24:18 PM permalink

Trump is getting booed badly at this dinner.

He started off pretty good, but quickly got too nasty towards Hillary.

He did start out a bit funny
Then the real Donald showed up
Just couldn't contain himself and had to get petty with a few attacks
People were offended and let Trump know
He just doesn't get it at this dinner
terapined
terapined
October 20th, 2016 at 6:52:16 PM permalink
Clinton was funny but did not kill it
Sounded very Presidential 2nd half

Maria Bartiromo's massive cleavage steals the show
ams288
ams288
October 20th, 2016 at 7:06:50 PM permalink
The highlight of the night for me was Rudy Giuliani's angry face when Hillary told jokes about him.

What is wrong with him?!
RonC
RonC
October 20th, 2016 at 7:08:58 PM permalink
Trump started out well; he has no idea when to shut the hell up.

Hillary started out well; then she gave a stump speech.

Both drew boos and could have totally avoided it had they stuck with they type of lines they used in the early parts. Trump got booed more.

Neither one "killed" it but only one needed to and he did not do it. He failed miserably.

Trump is the reason Trump won't be elected. Hillary is the only reason he even had a shot in the general election.

Loosing the Al Smith dinner is bad...it may not mean a lot over all; but it is a relatively easy win that can give a candidate some great lines for the press to use...
ams288
ams288
October 20th, 2016 at 7:18:20 PM permalink
Trump definitely had a couple of funny jokes. I liked the "Pardon me" one and the one about Melania's speech. But then he just got mean and it was awkward. The uncomfortable look on the man sitting next to him's face was priceless. Already going viral on Twitter.
RonC
RonC
October 20th, 2016 at 7:19:04 PM permalink

The highlight of the night for me was Rudy Giuliani's angry face when Hillary told jokes about him.

What is wrong with him?!

The line did not go over well with him and, after looking at the body language of those around him a couple of times, it made people laugh nervously instead of as if they found it really funny (as many of her lines actually were). That kind of thing happens in "roast" settings...sometimes a joke just doesn't work.

...but...it was not nasty in the way some of Trump's lines were...
rxwine
rxwine
October 20th, 2016 at 7:56:10 PM permalink
Much of this campaign...

Trump - shooting self in foot
Hillary - shooting fish in barrel
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
MaxPen
MaxPen
  • Threads: 13
October 20th, 2016 at 7:57:53 PM permalink
Trump smoked the debate. Clinton is busy transferring foundation money out of the country for a clean break post election. CNN couldn't even put together a focus group that would favor HRC. Lmao.....Trump landslide ahead. Real people greater than 60% support Trump. 1/2 of the dinner's room will have there lives dramatically changed over the course of next year.
MaxPen
MaxPen
October 20th, 2016 at 8:11:47 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Much of this campaign...

Trump - shooting self in foot
Hillary - shooting fish in barrel

Hillary is killing herself.
Did you see the whole room go quiet at the dinner when she outed Obama as a Muslim?
Did you see the reaction from military personnel when she outed the US response time to nukes at the debate?
Was priceless watching her try and deflect attention from talking about her inciting riots in Chicago.
MichaelBluejay
MichaelBluejay
October 20th, 2016 at 8:55:34 PM permalink
Quote: MaxPen

Trump landslide ahead.

Well, here's what the polls say. You'll note that even Fox News thinks you're wrong. Just wondering, since you're insistent on a Trump landslide, you must believe there's no chance that the election will be rigged to prevent him from winning. Given that, if you're wrong come election day, will you say so in this thread? Or will you make some excuse to cover your bad prediction?

MaxPen
MaxPen
October 20th, 2016 at 9:15:40 PM permalink

Well, here's what the polls say. You'll note that even Fox News thinks you're wrong. Just wondering, since you're insistent on a Trump landslide, you must believe there's no chance that the election will be rigged to prevent him from winning. Given that, if you're wrong come election day, will you say so in this thread? Or will you make some excuse to cover your bad prediction?

There most definitely will be rigging against him. I do want to believe it is impossible to rig a landslide, though.
No excuses will be coming from me. These are not predictions just where the "real" evidence is pointing.

Just like her commercial, "why aren't I 50 points ahead?" When you have to live in deceit the truths manifest themselves in a variety of ways.
MichaelBluejay
MichaelBluejay
October 20th, 2016 at 9:22:39 PM permalink

Trump landslide ahead.

These are not predictions...

(1) How is that NOT a prediction?

(2) Why do you believe that Every. Single. Poll. is not just wrong, but wildly off?

(3) Upon what evidence do you base your prediction claim of a Trump landslide, and why is it superior to dozens and dozens of reputable polls?

No excuses will be coming from me [on election day, if I'm wrong about a Trump landslide].

Believe it when I see it.
Joeshlabotnik
Joeshlabotnik
October 20th, 2016 at 9:31:25 PM permalink

Trump smoked the debate.

And what did you smoke during the debate?
Joeshlabotnik
Joeshlabotnik
October 20th, 2016 at 9:34:54 PM permalink

These are not predictions just where the "real" evidence is pointing.

Yes, you believe a lot of things that are "real."

I'm sure there are still quite a few Trumpers out there who are similarly deluding themselves.
MaxPen
MaxPen
October 20th, 2016 at 9:35:40 PM permalink
Quote: Joeshlabotnik

And what did you smoke during the debate?

I am sorry that you continue to prove susceptible to the propaganda and psychological warfare directed your way. Is that the only remark you have? Why are you so vindictive to others that have a differing opinion than your own? Live and let live, you should try it sometime.
MaxPen
MaxPen
October 20th, 2016 at 9:38:12 PM permalink

Yes, you believe a lot of things that are 'real."

I'm sure there are still quite a few Trumpers out there who are similarly deluding themselves.

I am not a Trumper. Definitely prefer him over Hillary though.
Joeshlabotnik
Joeshlabotnik
October 20th, 2016 at 9:38:14 PM permalink

What is wrong with him?!

It might be that he realizes that his decision to lick Trump's balls has ended his political career. (Can mayors be impeached?)
Joeshlabotnik
Joeshlabotnik
October 20th, 2016 at 9:44:52 PM permalink

I am sorry that you continue to prove susceptible to the propaganda and psychological warfare directed your way. Is that the only remark you have? Why are you so vindictive to others that have a differing opinion than your own? Live and let live, you should try it sometime.

Sorry, but you babble, and state idiocies as if they were fact, and I tend to call people out on those things. You made a bunch of assertions that I'm sure you know were complete bullshit. You have some bizarre reason for doing that. Maybe it amuses you; I'm not going to try to figure it out.

And re my other response: I didn't say that you were necessarily a Trumper, only that like you, many Trumpers might have perceived that Trump won the debate. Just like a crazed Dodger fan might think his team beat the Cubs the other night (they actually lost 10-2).
MaxPen
MaxPen
October 20th, 2016 at 9:56:03 PM permalink

Sorry, but you babble, and state idiocies as if they were fact, and I tend to call people out on those things. You made a bunch of assertions that I'm sure you know were complete bullshit. You have some bizarre reason for doing that. Maybe it amuses you; I'm not going to try to figure it out.

And re my other response: I didn't say that you were necessarily a Trumper, only that like you, many Trumpers might have perceived that Trump won the debate. Just like a crazed Dodger fan might think his team beat the Cubs the other night (they actually lost 10-2).

Care to point out an idiocy?
MichaelBluejay
MichaelBluejay
October 20th, 2016 at 10:13:10 PM permalink

Trump landslide ahead.

These are not predictions...

(2) Why do you believe that Every. Single. Poll. is not just wrong, but wildly off?

(3) Upon what evidence do you base your prediction claim of a Trump landslide, and why is it superior to dozens and dozens of reputable polls?

No excuses will be coming from me [on election day, if I'm wrong about a Trump landslide].

MaxPen
MaxPen
October 20th, 2016 at 10:28:05 PM permalink

Quote the polls all you want. SuperPac funded and MSM polls used to influence public perception are garbage. I would actually go as far to say that Trump will beat Hillary by a wider margin than Reagan stomped Carter with the above provided numbers. However, the corruption runs much deeper in today's world.
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
  • Threads: 88
October 20th, 2016 at 10:59:02 PM permalink

Quote the polls all you want. SuperPac funded and MSM polls used to influence public perception are garbage. I would actually go as far to say that Trump will beat Hillary by a wider margin than Reagan stomped Carter with the above provided numbers. However, the corruption runs much deeper in today's world.

What about the polls done by independent non-partisan research organizations? Do you actually think every poll that shows Trump at -7% is "garbage" and the real result will be Trump +10%? Can you point to a single properly-conducted study that indicates that?

If the votes come in at Trump -7% as the polls close on November 8, will *you* accept the results of the election?
"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
MaxPen
MaxPen
October 20th, 2016 at 11:29:53 PM permalink

What about the polls done by independent non-partisan research organizations? Do you actually think every poll that shows Trump at -7% is "garbage" and the real result will be Trump +10%? Can you point to a single properly-conducted study that indicates that?

If the votes come in at Trump -7% as the polls close on November 8, will *you* accept the results of the election?

It's to much of a hassle to post links and pictures on this site. There are plenty out there showing Trump by a wide margin.

Sure I would accept it. Why wouldn't I, are planning to not accept Trump beating Hillary by 7% when the polls close? What kind of question is that?
MichaelBluejay
MichaelBluejay
October 20th, 2016 at 11:35:46 PM permalink

SuperPac funded and MSM polls used to influence public perception are garbage.

Okay, then:

(1) You're saying that *every* poll is either funded by the Democrats or run by the mainstream media?

(2) Do you count Fox as the mainstream media? Do you think Fox really wants Hillary to win?

(3) You believe that each and every pollster is intentionally reporting erroneous results, and not just that, but that they're intentionally subtracting a whopping ~15 points from Trumps "real" number?

and most importantly:

(4) What would be the point of reporting erroneous numbers? If it's to suppress votes, voting would be suppressed on both sides.

(5) How do you reconcile the fact that in the entire history of polling, polls have always been within about 4 points of the actual total? Because what you're suggesting (that the polls are off by more than a dozen points) has never, ever happened in all of history.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
October 20th, 2016 at 11:45:34 PM permalink
Quote: Tanko

According to The Tax Policy Center, the top 1% had 16.5% of the total income in 2015, and paid 43.6% of federal income taxes.

When you factor in payroll, corporate, and other federal taxes, the percentage they pay for all federal taxes drops to 27.9%.

Tax Policy Center

Thank you. One last question if you can find it. What percent of the weather do they own?
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
October 20th, 2016 at 11:49:18 PM permalink

It might be that he realizes that his decision to lick Trump's balls has ended his political career. (Can mayors be impeached?)

Can a former Mayor, who has been out of office since 2002, be impeached?
Retroactively?
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
October 20th, 2016 at 11:50:22 PM permalink
If Trump was elected, do you think he would raise up w2gs from $1200 higher, or is he clueless about this? Would casinos allow tickets printed for a few thousand without being afraid they were being robbed or continue hand pays above $1200? I'm under the assumption they consider hand pays a nuisance and a precaution against malfunction/being robbed, and they have overall returns lower to bring down labor costs of hand pays.
I am a robot.
MaxPen
MaxPen
October 20th, 2016 at 11:53:03 PM permalink

Okay, then:

(1) You're saying that *every* poll is either funded by the Democrats or run by the mainstream media?

(2) Do you count Fox as the mainstream media? Do you think Fox really wants Hillary to win?

(3) You believe that each and every pollster is intentionally reporting erroneous results, and not just that, but that they're intentionally subtracting a whopping ~15 points from Trumps "real" number?

and most importantly:

(4) What would be the point of reporting erroneous numbers? If it's to suppress votes, voting would be suppressed on both sides.

(5) How do you reconcile the fact that in the entire history of polling, polls have always been within about 4 points of the actual total? Because what you're suggesting (that the polls are off by more than a dozen points) has never, ever happened in all of history.

1.. The ones you are citing, yes.
2. Yes, Fox is mainstream for sure. Fox is nothing more than controlled opposition. Same with Limbaugh, Beck, and all the others.
3. They are not subtracting off the top. They are skewed to produce the results that they do.
4. Polls are used to sway public action all the time and condition populace.
5. About 4 points, huh? You must be young. Go back and do some research on the Carter And Reagan race.
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
October 20th, 2016 at 11:57:26 PM permalink

It's to much of a hassle to post links and pictures on this site. There are plenty out there showing Trump by a wide margin.

Show me one. And don't try the "it's too hard" excuse, it's faster to cut/paste a poll link from your browser than it is to type the rest of your post. Show me a properly-conducted national poll that has Trump +10 or even Trump +6. Even on Breitbart, their spin on the recent YouGov poll (that had Hillary at +4) could only rationalize a conclusion that "it's a close race." That's nowhere close to "Trump is going to win in a landslide." So what polling are you looking at that shows a wide margin for Trump?
"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
October 21st, 2016 at 12:04:39 AM permalink

5. About 4 points, huh? You must be young. Go back and do some research on the Carter And Reagan race.

Okay, here's the polling from that race:

The last set of polls were off by 4%, just like he said. And final polls have never -- in 80 years of polling -- been off by more than 10%, but it would take a 17% swing to get to a Trump landslide.
MaxPen
MaxPen
October 21st, 2016 at 12:04:46 AM permalink

Show me one. And don't try the "it's too hard" excuse, it's faster to cut/paste a poll link from your browser than it is to type the rest of your post. Show me a properly-conducted national poll that has Trump +10 or even Trump +6. Even on Breitbart, their spin on the recent YouGov poll (that had Hillary at +4) could only rationalize a conclusion that "it's a close race." That's nowhere close to "Trump is going to win in a landslide." So what polling are you looking at that shows a wide margin for Trump?

In the past I have stated some of my source info. One which carries a 96.1% accuracy for the past 104 years. I could care less about polls. Go out on the street and conduct a poll yourself.
MaxPen
MaxPen
October 21st, 2016 at 12:13:33 AM permalink

The last set of polls were off by 4%, just like he said. And final polls have never -- in 80 years of polling -- been off by more than 10%, but it would take a 17% swing to get to a Trump landslide.

Where was Reagan at 3 weeks out from the election? Thanks for posting and substantiating my position.
Even though, I keep insisting polls are irrelevant to today's race. More so now than the 80's. Let's just wait and see. I have put my opinions forth and I am content.
MichaelBluejay
MichaelBluejay
October 21st, 2016 at 12:30:19 AM permalink

Where was Reagan at 3 weeks out from the election? Thanks for posting and substantiating my position.

This doesn't substantiate your position at all. In the 1980 race, support for the candidates kept shifting, and the polls reflected that shift in public opinion. You haven't been arguing that Trump is suddenly going to woo enough voters to overcome a massive deficit, you've been arguing that the polls are crooked and aren't an accurate measure of public opinion at *any* time, whether three weeks out or right before the election.

It is conceivable that public support could shift dramatically towards Trump if Hillary suffered some kind of scandal or health crisis. But it strains credulity to suggest that the polls aren't an accurate measure of public opinion *right now*.
RonC
RonC
October 21st, 2016 at 1:31:13 AM permalink

I think his "political career"--him running for office--effectively ended earlier in this election cycle, if not before. I don't think his decision to support Trump had anything to do with the end of it.

So is it okay now to attribute something happening to a person on Hillary's side as happening because someone "licked her pussy"? As in Tim Kaine got to be be the VP candidate by licking Hillary's pussy because otherwise he had no chance at a national office?

Probably not.
RonC
RonC
October 21st, 2016 at 1:43:31 AM permalink

Even though, I keep insisting polls are irrelevant to today's race. More so now than the 80's. Let's just wait and see. I have put my opinions forth and I am content.

From those polls, I see a very rough swing of Anderson voters to Reagan. It isn't precise by any means, but as Anderson's support dropped, Reagan' seemed to follow shortly with an uptick. Reagan then pilled away as the race ended. We are days away from the election and Trump is not doing anything all that well at this point--he blew the Al Smith dinner for crying out loud (something that is actually hard to do)--I don't recall Reagan screwing up late in the cycle as Donald has done. Also, the other candidates in this election are taking votes from Hillary, not Donald.

I'm not a Hillarist by any means, but I don't see any good comparison between Reagan at this point (you also had the Iran Hostage Crisis coverage on every night after the late news) and Trump. The only thing that even gives a sliver of good news to Trump is that he continues to draw large crowds to his events. The problem is that he needs all those votes plus many, many more to win. I don't see it happening.
ams288
ams288
October 21st, 2016 at 4:24:29 AM permalink
Prediction: On and after election night, we won't hear much from MaxPen anymore. He's in for a rough night.
  • Jump to: