4 votes (3.36%)
3 votes (2.52%)

119 members have voted

RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
October 19th, 2016 at 9:02:05 PM permalink
Quote: Joeshlabotnik

Well, no surprises. Trump repeated his third-grader-on-the-playground mantra of "Cheaters! Cheaters! Cheaters!" and threatened to take his ball and go home. There was some discussion of policy, but it was mostly idiotic crap from Trump like his statement that he would instantly overturn Roe v. Wade--as if a President has to power to nullify Supreme Court decisions!

What are you talking about?
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
  • Threads: 30
October 19th, 2016 at 9:27:09 PM permalink
Quote: MathExtremist

The question is what kind of economy will support a society where most people don't need to work but still need to eat and live in buildings? It may be a UBI, it may be a non-capitalist society altogether. And the shorter-term question is how to we transition between our current capitalist economy to that one without widespread riots?

But the worst thing we can do is pretend that the economic shifts I'm talking about aren't going to happen. They're already happening. That's why Trump has so many supporters. The rug of the old economy has been pulled out from under them, and nobody's put a new rug down yet.

Ubi sounds pretty good and I don't know many alternatives. It's nice to think will be living in star trek after that. I hope our seemingly inevitable fascist swing is a stop on that route.

But, I see a lot of problems. Are average people happy when they have no role or purpose in life? Yes, some will be thrilled to sit around writing bad poetry. But will would be mechanics and small businessowners?

If we rely on the authorities to directly provide our sustenance, how do we maintain a culture of freedom?

We're in a period where elites are pulling out all the stops to make sure, not only that they have as much as possible, but that the rest have as little as possible. We've been moving to a third world/Russia module for decades. Why will they suddenly change their minds?

If common people are largely useless, except as consumers, perhaps theyll be treated like surfs.

I fear what we'll really see is more of what we see already, with mass incarceration, endless war, and so forth. We know that's the direction for at least eight more years.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 212
October 19th, 2016 at 9:36:55 PM permalink
I don't really understand what people mean by accepting the results of an election is supposed to mean. If you as a candidate believe the election wasn't carried out honestly, why wouldn't someone seek court action. I don't think he'll appoint himself General Trump or anything, but I have wondered this before. History has shown sweeping things under the rug not dealing with which has to be dealt with, has erupted. I don't picture any state seceding like in the civil war because the leaders have too much to lose and don't feel discontent. They're getting richer every year, so they're going to want this continuing.
I am a robot.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 209
October 19th, 2016 at 9:52:39 PM permalink
Quote: Rigondeaux

I fear what we'll really see is more of what we see already, with mass incarceration, endless war, and so forth. We know that's the direction for at least eight more years.

In the future...
Young people will spend their days in sport competition. (the best substitute for war)
Older people in VR,

Anyone left who is complaining too much will be turned into Soylent Green.

Bon Appétit!
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
rxwine
rxwine
October 19th, 2016 at 10:04:30 PM permalink
The Atlantic has this post-debate headline

Quote:

Clinton Nukes Trump's Remaining Chances

I don't care how sure others are about Trump losing, I'm not relaxing until I see the electoral count out of reach for him on election night.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
RogerKint
RogerKint
  • Threads: 15
October 19th, 2016 at 10:10:03 PM permalink
Did Al Gore accept the results of his lost election? If he didn't, was he accused of treason? I can't remember.
100% risk of ruin
miplet
miplet
  • Threads: 5
October 20th, 2016 at 1:29:40 AM permalink
Quote: RogerKint

Did Al Gore accept the results of his lost election? If he didn't, was he accused of treason? I can't remember.

Al Gore conceded on December 13. More info here.
“Man Babes” #AxelFabulous
RonC
RonC
  • Threads: 40
October 20th, 2016 at 4:19:18 AM permalink
Didn't Gore concede initially and then rescind his concession before conceding again in December?

http://www.sfgate.com/politics/article/NECK-AND-NECK-Gore-concedes-to-Bush-then-3236618.php

I can't defend Trump because I don't really believe that he is talking about the validity of the actual vote count...but I can't really tell from the way he talks about it. I think his issues have more to do with the leanings of press coverage, the behind-the-scenes things done to Bernie by the Dems, and things like that. The vote, after all, is the vote. Barring another Florida, there isn't much to say once the votes are counted and reported. Is he talking about the possibility of him winning the vote and not the electoral college? That situation can be in play every cycle; it still changes nothing.

...but he is not the first and will likely not be the last to question the vote...Gore definitely did.

I don't think Trump will be challenging it come election day. I think his margin of loss will likely answer all of his questions.
ams288
ams288
  • Threads: 22
October 20th, 2016 at 4:36:16 AM permalink
The Al Gore comparisons are complete and utter BS.

Please find me some examples of Al Gore whining about the vote count 3 weeks before the election.

Florida state law mandated the recount, NOT Al Gore.

Righties: if you're best defense is "Al Gore did it too," you are LOSING the argument.
Ding Dong the Witch is Dead
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 121
October 20th, 2016 at 4:52:26 AM permalink
If the election were close I could see Trump whining and complaining like Al Gore did. Since the election will likely be a blowout I expect him to accept the results immediately. But of course it wouldn't be shocking if he has a meltdown instead!
Boz
Boz
  • Threads: 155
October 20th, 2016 at 5:08:07 AM permalink
Quote: ams288

Please find me some examples of Al Gore whining about the vote count 3 weeks before the election.

Florida state law mandated the recount, NOT Al Gore.

Righties: if you're best defense is "Al Gore did it too," you are LOSING the argument.

Agree 100%, no one should ever want to be compared to Al Gore. The 90s will forever be known for having the 2 worst VPs in US history.
RonC
RonC
October 20th, 2016 at 5:30:10 AM permalink

Expected response. Nothing any Republican does is ever comparable to anything a Democrat does. Amazing!!

(...and before that other persons starts his daily posting deluge, I did already say that there likely won't be anything to whine about since the margin of victory...for Hillary...will be large...and that I am not writing to "defend" Trump at all...I am sure that won't matter, but I am putting it out there...)
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
October 20th, 2016 at 5:31:47 AM permalink
I agree with most of what got said above about accepting results.

I do think Gore is not an apt comparison at this time.
Brief by memory synopsis; please see link above for actual numbers and time line.

1. He won the popular vote by ~ 600,000 votes, but appeared to have lost the EC on election night. So he conceded.

2. Florida results mandated a recount. It had been projected Bush by the networks, and they were wrong to call it. It turned late in the evening, and most if not all networks retracted their call.

3. There was a specific skewed result in Palm Beach County, heavily Democratic, where something like 27000 people, mostly elderly, had voted for Pat Buchanan, about 30x the vote expected for him there from polling. Turned out the butterfly ballot, with alternating punch out choices, had confused a lot of people who intended to vote for Gore, many of whom protested their vote was misrepresented, in much larger numbers than the vote count difference.

4. So at some point in the next 24-48 hours, Gore retracted his concession pending several determinations in the recount and Palm Beach results.

5. Even though the recount was still underway, and there were various biased moves by Jeb Bush, SOS Kathleen Harris, and the FL Supreme Court, Gore conceded once the SCOTUS ruled, for the good of the country.

Seems to me, he did the right thing the whole way as the situation evolved. You can't compress this into a comparative sound byte with Trump's stance. False equivalency. Total spin.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
ams288
ams288
October 20th, 2016 at 5:36:03 AM permalink
Quote: RonC

Expected response. Nothing any Republican does is ever comparable to anything a Democrat does. Amazing!!

It's certainly not comparable in this case.

Quote:

1. On election night, several television networks called Florida for George W. Bush, clinching the electoral college — although Gore would end up winning about 500,000 more votes. Gore called Bush to concede.

2. Then the networks uncalled Florida — and Gore unconceded, realizing that he was ahead in the popular vote and if he ended up winning Florida he would have won the election. The election was literally too close to call.

3. A legally mandated recount began.

4. Bush (not Gore) sued to stop recounts in some counties.

5. Gore sued to extend deadlines for recounts.

6. The Florida Supreme Court ordered a more extensive recount. Bush (not Gore) appealed to the U.S. Supreme Court.

7. The U.S. Supreme Court stopped the recount.

8. Gore conceded.

RonC
RonC
October 20th, 2016 at 5:49:08 AM permalink

It's certainly not comparable in this case.

Quote:

1. On election night, several television networks called Florida for George W. Bush, clinching the electoral college — although Gore would end up winning about 500,000 more votes. Gore called Bush to concede.

2. Then the networks uncalled Florida — and Gore unconceded, realizing that he was ahead in the popular vote and if he ended up winning Florida he would have won the election. The election was literally too close to call.

3. A legally mandated recount began.

4. Bush (not Gore) sued to stop recounts in some counties.

5. Gore sued to extend deadlines for recounts.

6. The Florida Supreme Court ordered a more extensive recount. Bush (not Gore) appealed to the U.S. Supreme Court.

7. The U.S. Supreme Court stopped the recount.

8. Gore conceded.

...and he eventually accepted the results of the election (I guess; people still whine about it). Trump will accept the results of the election. It will not be close.

End of story.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
October 20th, 2016 at 6:10:30 AM permalink
Trump supporters are retweeting another option- the second amendment. Twist.
I can't believe a third of my countryman are.voting for this buffoon.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
RonC
RonC
October 20th, 2016 at 6:14:23 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

Trump supporters are retweeting another option- the second amendment. Twist.
I can't believe a third of my countryman are.voting for this buffoon.

...and some Hillary supporters are actually creating riots at trump rallies.

There are enough stupid people on both sides to go around.

I don't find any of it mind boggling; civility is not very important in our society anymore and our politics reflect it.
RonC
RonC
October 20th, 2016 at 6:24:29 AM permalink
Trump-hater George Will isn't so sure about elections either...

"It is hard to think of an innocent reason why Democrats spend so much time, energy and money, scarce resources all, resisting attempts to purge the voter rolls, that is to remove people who are dead or otherwise have left the jurisdiction. It's hard to think of an innocent reason why they fight so tremendously against Voter I.D. laws. They say, well that burdens the exercise of a fundamental right. The Supreme Court has said that travel is a fundamental right and no one thinks that showing an I.D. at the airport burdens that fundamental right."

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2016/10/17/george_will_trump_has_point_that_elections_are_rigged_if_he_would_just_make_it_more_clearly.html
ams288
ams288
October 20th, 2016 at 6:43:47 AM permalink

Yes, he's a Trump hater.

But he's also a right wing Republican. They have been obsessed with making it as hard as possible for minorities, students, poor people, etc. to vote for ages now. So this op-ed isn't surprising coming from him.
ams288
ams288
October 20th, 2016 at 7:40:37 AM permalink
"Such a nasty woman." - Donald Trump

What a stupid comment from a candidate who already has problems winning over women voters.

www.NastyWomenGetShitDone.com now redirects to Hillary's website.

http://www.vox.com/2016/10/20/13342580/trump-nasty-woman-insult-clinton-debate
Boz
Boz
  • Threads: 155
October 20th, 2016 at 8:03:25 AM permalink

"Such a nasty woman." - Donald Trump

What a stupid comment from a candidate who already has problems winning over women voters.

www.NastyWomenGetShitDone.com now redirects to Hillary's website.

http://www.vox.com/2016/10/20/13342580/trump-nasty-woman-insult-clinton-debate

You have to give him credit, he says what he thinks. That alone is rare for a politician. He wasn't the best candidate, but he was refreshing in a PC crazy world.

And I for one will laugh at the "I don't remember" commercial for years to come. Yea, it is funny and we all have laughed at stuff like that over the years. Most just won't admit it.
ams288
ams288
October 20th, 2016 at 8:09:27 AM permalink
Here's a random question, but this is a Vegas board after all: Does anyone know what hotel Hillary stayed at in Vegas before the debate?

Trump obviously stayed at his own hotel.

I'm just curious. I tried to google it and I couldn't find the answer.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 121
October 20th, 2016 at 8:49:05 AM permalink

Here's a random question, but this is a Vegas board after all: Does anyone know what hotel Hillary stayed at in Vegas before the debate?

Isn't it more likely she stayed in a private mansion? Probably easier for necessary security.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
October 20th, 2016 at 8:54:13 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

Isn't it more likely she stayed in a private mansion? Probably easier for necessary security.

Same thought I had. Lots of nice places around Vegas. And they had a lot of time to plan ahead.
JimRockford
JimRockford
  • Threads: 12
October 20th, 2016 at 8:54:55 AM permalink

If I were planning it, I would put her in The Signature. Short direct motorcade from the airport and to UNLV with no need to shutdown LV Blvd. Short distance from the elevator to the car with minimal public interaction.
Edit: The above is probably naive on my part. There is probably a VIP back way in and out of MGM completely hidden from the public.
"Truth is ever to be found in the simplicity, and not in the multiplicity and confusion of things." -- Isaac Newton
Joeshlabotnik
Joeshlabotnik
  • Threads: 20
October 20th, 2016 at 8:56:13 AM permalink

Gore's reaction to a very close and disputed actual election is not, in fact, comparable to Trump's whining about an election that hasn't even happened yet.

It's symptomatic of just how flaccid the Republicans have gotten that this comparison is all that they can come up with to defend Trump.
Joeshlabotnik
Joeshlabotnik
October 20th, 2016 at 9:03:09 AM permalink

Anyone with any sense of common decency should be a Trump-hater. That said, Will is a dedicated righty and has been an apologist for the Republiholes' farces for years.

I suppose that "the Democrats rig elections" will be a persistent Republican meme now. Of course, their aggressive gerrymandering, their continual attempts to keep the inferior classes from being able to vote--naah, that's not election-rigging.
ams288
ams288
October 20th, 2016 at 9:06:24 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

Yeah, I guess that makes sense and that would explain why I can't find any info on where she stayed.

I know the Clintons have stayed at Mandalay Bay before when in Vegas for speeches and other events.

The only information I could find was this article detailing the roads that were closed for their motorcades:

http://www.reviewjournal.com/politics/motorcades-clinton-trump-cause-few-traffic-problems
Joeshlabotnik
Joeshlabotnik
October 20th, 2016 at 9:11:01 AM permalink
Quote: Boz

You have to give him credit, he says what he thinks. That alone is rare for a politician. He wasn't the best candidate, but he was refreshing in a PC crazy world.

And I for one will laugh at the "I don't remember" commercial for years to come. Yea, it is funny and we all have laughed at stuff like that over the years. Most just won't admit it.

Why do we have to give him credit for saying whatever bubbles to the surface of his child-brain? Your drunk uncle Dan always says what he thinks. That's why you dread having him over for Thanksgiving. He'll dominate the conversation, "share" his political views with everyone whether they want to hear them or not, and finally, barf on the turkey.

I'm rather sick of seeing people say that common decency is "PC." Now, it appears that acting like an adult (such as not interrupting your opponent in the middle of a debate response) is also "PC." So people who are rude, nasty, and don't want to follow the rules are just being refreshingly non-PC. Hmmm. Maybe in the near future, dentists will consider administering anesthetic prior to a root canal to be PC as well.
JimRockford
JimRockford
  • Threads: 12
October 20th, 2016 at 9:17:58 AM permalink

Yeah, I guess that makes sense and that would explain why I can't find any info on where she stayed.

I know the Clintons have stayed at Mandalay Bay before when in Vegas for speeches and other events.

The only information I could find was this article detailing the roads that were closed for their motorcades:

http://www.reviewjournal.com/politics/motorcades-clinton-trump-cause-few-traffic-problems

Quote:

After Clinton delivered a brief speech, her motorcade traveled south on I-15, prompting another round of closures to McCarran International Airport.

Looks like Clinton got long hauled.
"Truth is ever to be found in the simplicity, and not in the multiplicity and confusion of things." -- Isaac Newton
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
  • Threads: 88
October 20th, 2016 at 9:28:29 AM permalink

If we had any problem with providing the basics, we wouldn't be able to support our immensely bloated military without there being food riots in the streets. The fact that we have the luxury of all that waste suggests to me that we could meet the 19% goal with room to spare. If you can't make the numbers work in a given scenario, just cut military spending by 20%--meaning that we won't be able to blow up EVERYBODY we want to blow up--and you're there easily.

There are two real problems with trying to do that right now -- a financial one and a political one. If you could press a magic button and give everyone enough food, shelter, and health care, frankly, that sounds like being retired. Why bother working in the first place? But if enough people make that choice, we don't have the income tax base you think we do and then tax rates need to be in excess of 100% to pay for everything. So that's not sustainable now because we haven't yet hit the "everything's automated" scenario where we actually can put food on the table without humans working for it.

The political problem is that there is significant opposition to statist mandates in this country, especially when it comes to socialist policies like you're describing. In the U.S. at least, you won't get to socialism based on political origins, it will have to come from economic ones. There are a lot of things we could do with policy to change that but there's not a critical mass of demand for it now. The economy first needs to veer toward post-capitalism by itself (via hyperproduction and increased technological unemployment) before it starts making sense to look at policy solutions. Just look at the vehement opposition to the ACA. That's a philosophical dispute, not an economic one: there are a lot of people in this country who think the government has no right to tax them at all. It's an asinine viewpoint, but that's what we're working with. The question is how we get to a post-capitalist, post-employment society in a peaceful way despite that minority viewpoint. You'll never get there from the ground up by asking people to willingly hand over 57% of their income and trusting the government to provide them bread and circuses. That appetite just isn't here and never has been.
"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
  • Threads: 164
October 20th, 2016 at 9:37:41 AM permalink

She's killing him again.

Maybe not quite the blowout the 1st debate was, but close.

We must have watched a different debate.
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
Steverinos
Steverinos
  • Threads: 5
October 20th, 2016 at 9:49:33 AM permalink
I was surprised to see the poll results showing Clinton had won, but with a slimmer margin than the previous debates. I thought she absolutely crushed him last night with the nasty woman, bad hombres, and not accepting the election results and "keeping us in suspense" moments. (Kelly Ann should tell him this isn't a reality TV show)

The general theme in these debates has been Trump comes in, has a good first 20-30 minutes where he's not sniffing, and Hillary just continues to needle him until he loses his composure. Not what I want in my POTUS. Cool, calm, collected, thoughtful, deliberate, tactical, and smart, everything that Hillary has shown us so far.

This isn't close. I mean I get it that the country is pretty evenly divided and that half of us are going to tow the party line, but at some point (I believe we passed that point a looooooooooong time ago), being an American supersedes being a Republican.
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
October 20th, 2016 at 9:52:19 AM permalink

...and he eventually accepted the results of the election (I guess; people still whine about it). Trump will accept the results of the election. It will not be close.

No, Gore accepted that he lost the process. The results of the actual election were that the voters in Palm Beach were disenfranchised and, correcting for that error, Gore wins Florida and the presidency. He conceded because he was willing to put the harmony of the country above his own personal ambitions, and also because he didn't view his opponent as a nasty woman with hate in her heart.

And he certainly didn't challenge the legitimacy of the election process itself several months prior to the election. No presidential candidate ever has, except Trump.

You're basically drawing an equivalency between Gore complaining about legitimate voter confusion in Palm Beach after the vote with Trump complaining about widespread conspiracy to rig the votes around the country months before the election. But that's not a legitimate comparison at all. This is the same Trump who says "The only way we can lose, in my opinion -- and I really mean this, Pennsylvania -- is if cheating goes on." In Pennsylvania, where he's polling behind by more than 6%, he's already pre-ordained that when he loses it's because the results were rigged.

Trump is speaking right now at a rally where he's saying these things. He is laying the groundwork for his voters -- and he will probably have more than 50M of them -- to feel cheated by the U.S. democratic process. Many of these voters have publicly discussed violence on social media, including mentions of coups and assassinations. Trump is doing nothing to calm that mob rage; if anything, he is stoking those flames. There will likely be violence on voting day and the days that follow. Trump will be responsible for that violence. Nobody -- regardless of their political views -- should be supporting that.
"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
ams288
ams288
October 20th, 2016 at 10:11:09 AM permalink
Quote: AxelWolf

We must have watched a different debate.

Most likely.

Hillary Clinton's 3 Debate Performances Left the Trump Campaign in Ruins
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
October 20th, 2016 at 10:37:28 AM permalink

Most likely.

Hillary Clinton's 3 Debate Performances Left the Trump Campaign in Ruins

The best thing about that article is how plain it makes the fact that Hillary outmaneuvered Trump. Trump spent so much time complaining how Obama and Clinton got outplayed by Iran or Russia, and then he himself gets outplayed by Clinton in the debates and doesn't even recognize it because he's too angry (which was largely the point).

It's like watching me play 1-on-1 against Steph Curry. I'd get demolished. One difference between me and Trump is that I wouldn't complain that Steph was rigging the game.
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
  • Threads: 57
October 20th, 2016 at 10:45:53 AM permalink
I thought Trump did well in the third debate, aside from the hombres comment, the "Nasty Woman" comment, and saying he isn't sure if he'll accept the outcome of the election if he loses.
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
October 20th, 2016 at 11:38:09 AM permalink
Quote: gamerfreak

I thought Trump did well in the third debate, aside from the hombres comment, the "Nasty Woman" comment, and saying he isn't sure if he'll accept the outcome of the election if he loses.

You can't make this up:

Quote: Donald Trump, 10/20/2016

I would like to promise and pledge to all of my voters and supporters and to all of the people of the United States that I will totally accept the results of this great and historic presidential election, if I win.

Joeshlabotnik
Joeshlabotnik
October 20th, 2016 at 11:58:18 AM permalink

There are two real problems with trying to do that right now -- a financial one and a political one. If you could press a magic button and give everyone enough food, shelter, and health care, frankly, that sounds like being retired. Why bother working in the first place? But if enough people make that choice, we don't have the income tax base you think we do and then tax rates need to be in excess of 100% to pay for everything. So that's not sustainable now because we haven't yet hit the "everything's automated" scenario where we actually can put food on the table without humans working for it.

The political problem is that there is significant opposition to statist mandates in this country, especially when it comes to socialist policies like you're describing. In the U.S. at least, you won't get to socialism based on political origins, it will have to come from economic ones. There are a lot of things we could do with policy to change that but there's not a critical mass of demand for it now. The economy first needs to veer toward post-capitalism by itself (via hyperproduction and increased technological unemployment) before it starts making sense to look at policy solutions. Just look at the vehement opposition to the ACA. That's a philosophical dispute, not an economic one: there are a lot of people in this country who think the government has no right to tax them at all. It's an asinine viewpoint, but that's what we're working with. The question is how we get to a post-capitalist, post-employment society in a peaceful way despite that minority viewpoint. You'll never get there from the ground up by asking people to willingly hand over 57% of their income and trusting the government to provide them bread and circuses. That appetite just isn't here and never has been.

The essential objection has always been a practical one: remove one of the basic incentives to work (survival) and some people won't work at all--they will be content to be parasites. I think that can be solved in a number of ways. First, social approbation. If you sit around and collect government largesse but do nothing, that can be stigmatized. It already is to some extent. Second, removing the need to simply survive allows people to innovate, to specialize, and to take risks. That may convey economic benefit far in excess of the drag caused by the freeloaders. Third, allow people to contribute in non-income-generating ways, and allow that to count as credit toward one's social obligation.
rxwine
rxwine
October 20th, 2016 at 12:15:54 PM permalink

You can't make this up:

I would like to promise and pledge to all of my voters and supporters and to all of the people of the United States that I will totally accept the results of this great and historic presidential election, if I win.

The best absurd quote ever. (or at least this week)
Joeshlabotnik
Joeshlabotnik
October 20th, 2016 at 12:20:26 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

You can't make this up:

Did he actually say that? If so, it sounds like self-satire, something that is way beyond the intellectual depth of a retarded orangutan.
rxwine
rxwine
October 20th, 2016 at 12:21:40 PM permalink
Quote: gamerfreak

I'll agree with anyone who says it was his best of three. (backhanded compliment if I do say so myself)
OnceDear
OnceDear
  • Threads: 63
October 20th, 2016 at 12:25:50 PM permalink

Quote: rxwine

You can't make this up:

Did he actually say that? If so, it sounds like self-satire, something that is way beyond the intellectual depth of a retarded orangutan.

Yes he did.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-37722434
Psalm 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Proverbs 18:2 A fool finds no satisfaction in trying to understand, for he would rather express his own opinion.
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
October 20th, 2016 at 12:35:16 PM permalink

The essential objection has always been a practical one: remove one of the basic incentives to work (survival) and some people won't work at all--they will be content to be parasites. I think that can be solved in a number of ways. First, social approbation. If you sit around and collect government largesse but do nothing, that can be stigmatized. It already is to some extent. Second, removing the need to simply survive allows people to innovate, to specialize, and to take risks. That may convey economic benefit far in excess of the drag caused by the freeloaders. Third, allow people to contribute in non-income-generating ways, and allow that to count as credit toward one's social obligation.

I don't deny those are factors that will work once AI-driven productivity can supplant human labor, but we're not there yet. The system can't work when there's still a stigma about not working, and the reason there's a stigma about not working is that there's too much work to be done. When systemic unemployment is 50% because robots are doing all the grunt work, that stigma will be gone. The mere fact that you used the word parasites is proof of that. Nobody thinks of their children as parasites but they're "freeloaders" as you're using the word...

And I'm all in favor of removing barriers to innovation and risk-taking. In the U.S., we have a huge structural problem in our entrepreneur economy that doesn't exist in other countries, and it's making us less competitive. Basically, the folks who are most likely to succeed as entrepreneurs are systemically discouraged from trying because they have kids at home and need a stable income and health benefits that most-affordably come from an employer. I bucked that trend (I took the risk to work for myself and pay for my own health insurance) but I am in the vast, vast minority. So you most often end up with entrepreneurs who are either in their mid-20s (plenty of ambition, too little experience, no kids yet) or in their mid-50s (plenty of experience, waning ambition, kids in college), with the sweet spot of folks in their 30s-40s with school-age children being discouraged from jumping in. I am in a small angel fund vetting new investments right now and this is exactly what we're seeing from the founders coming in. The best thing we could do to jump start the entrepreneur economy is provide affordable non-employer-based health insurance. It doesn't need to be state-funded, just affordable. I'm paying over $1000/month for a high-deductible plan. Too few entrepreneurs can afford that, but that won't change unless the tax breaks for health coverage that go to big businesses somehow get shifted to the individuals who are trying to start small ones.
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
October 20th, 2016 at 12:36:34 PM permalink
All these suppositions on what he's gonna do when he loses, how come no one's yet touched on the obvious? I guess I'll put on my seer's hat and give mine...

Upon learning of his loss, he will smile, shake Clinton's hand, and proclaim "We did it".

You heard it here first.
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
October 20th, 2016 at 12:37:23 PM permalink

You can't make this up:

Oh. My. Gawd.

Get out the armbands and jackboots.

Fire the FEC; there won't be an election in 2020.

Hide your daughters.
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
October 20th, 2016 at 12:38:15 PM permalink
Quote: Face

All these suppositions on what he's gonna do when he loses, how come no one's yet touched on the obvious? I guess I'll put on my seer's hat and give mine...

Upon learning of his loss, he will smile, shake Clinton's hand, and proclaim "We did it".

You heard it here first.

That's what happens first. Second is that Clinton appoints Trump as ambassador to Russia.

Here's a scary thought, though: if we're predicting violence as a result of Trump's current election-rigging rhetoric, imagine what would happen when 50M people realize they were bamboozled and that the election really was rigged by the guy they voted for?
MichaelBluejay
MichaelBluejay
  • Threads: 81
October 20th, 2016 at 1:09:59 PM permalink
Back in January when Palin endorsed Trump, she declared, "No more pussy footin’ around!"

Nice choice of words.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/transcript-palin-endorses-trump-no-pussy-footin-article-1.2502732
Presidential Election polls and odds: https://2605.me/p
ams288
ams288
October 20th, 2016 at 1:12:55 PM permalink

Yes, it's a stupid thing to say.

Far be it from me to defend Donald Trump, but I actually do think this one was said somewhat "tongue in cheek."

If you watch the video of him saying it, he prefaced it with something along the lines of "I have a huge announcement to make." He's playing the media. It's all they've been talking about since last night's debate. He knew saying this would get their attention and keep them talking. Donald Trump is, after all, the world's biggest and orange-est attention whore.
Tanko
Tanko
  • Threads: 0
October 20th, 2016 at 1:50:20 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

I often hear this, but no one ever says what percent of income they receive.
Are they receiving 45% of the overall income? Are we only talking income taxes?
Over 95% of Americans pay payroll taxes on their entire incomes. Billionaires pay it only on the first $78,000 of income.

According to The Tax Policy Center, the top 1% had 16.5% of the total income in 2015, and paid 43.6% of federal income taxes.

When you factor in payroll, corporate, and other federal taxes, the percentage they pay for all federal taxes drops to 27.9%.

Tax Policy Center
  • Jump to: