aceofspades
aceofspades
  • Threads: 366
April 19th, 2012 at 5:27:11 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

That sounds like a movie I saw. I forgot the title, but if NetFlix keeps past records I could find out. The plot of the movie was that a team of thieves tunneled into a Mexico City bank, stole whatever, and then quickly flew to Buenos Aires to hang low for a while. However, as I recall, in Buenos Aires, some thieves there stole the money from them. They may have been tipped off by a mole on the Mexico City crew. I don't recall the details very well.

Also the plot of the Woody Allen movie Small Time Crooks
CrappedOut
CrappedOut
  • Threads: 4
June 9th, 2012 at 9:06:30 AM permalink
This thread seems to have died a quick death. Just reading up on LVA in advance of my pending Vegas trip, I noticed this little news tidbit. I remember warning posters on another board a couple years' back not to put anything of value into such a "private vaults" boondoggle. Lay down with dogs, get up with fleas.

Chances are high this was an inside job. Large-scale robberies often are. This is not a certainty, of course. I suspect that if there have been no arrests yet, there are wiretaps working.....
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
June 9th, 2012 at 9:21:19 AM permalink
Quote: kewlj

It is my understanding that more than 100 boxes in the VIP section were drilled into. The smallest box in the regular section starts at $325 a year. In the VIP section boxes can run 4 figures. If someone is laying out 4 figures for a box, what do you think they are keeping in that box. I don't think it's their children's high school graduation pictures. I'll bet this heist was in excess of 10 million, but it is impossible to ever really find out.

Of course, it might not be a good idea to rob some of the people who might be stashing stuff there. Or at least it might not be a good idea to have them ever find out who did it because it might be people who hold serious grudges and feed people into meat grinders or something similar.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
QuadDeuces
QuadDeuces
  • Threads: 25
June 9th, 2012 at 3:48:47 PM permalink
Quote: CrappedOut

Lay down with dogs, get up with fleas.

That would apply equally to the banks.
CrappedOut
CrappedOut
  • Threads: 4
June 10th, 2012 at 7:25:08 AM permalink
Sorry, can't agree with you here. If you put money into a safe deposit box, every bank in this country that I know of has insurance, security, and pretty sophisticated systems in place to protect your valuables. Nothing is perfect, of course, but certainly a whole lot safer than a strip-mall store employing convicted felons on its staff.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
June 10th, 2012 at 10:48:23 AM permalink
It can happen that small armored car companies are set up and run as "fronts" for a few years only to be used for an inside job robbery. Same with a private lock box company.

In Vegas, many boxes would have had cash and poker chips that would be available even if the poker room was closed.

I'm surprised the local media dropped this case.
  • Jump to: