HotBlonde
HotBlonde
  • Threads: 117
December 22nd, 2011 at 8:27:04 PM permalink
Anyone hear about this? Google tablulates what people have googled throughout the year and shows us the top searches.

You'll never guess what the #1 most googled thing was. Haha, I have to say that I myself am guilty of contributing to this statistic.

Google's Top 10 Zeitgeist List
OFFICIALLY and justifiably reclaimed my title as SuperHotBlonde!
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
December 23rd, 2011 at 3:08:00 AM permalink
wow, I recognize some of these topics only vaguely in some cases. I certainly don't know who Rebecca Black is, first time I've heard the name.

I think I will keep it that way and also see if anyone I associate with *ever* mentions her name.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
HotBlonde
HotBlonde
December 23rd, 2011 at 10:07:58 AM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

wow, I recognize some of these topics only vaguely in some cases. I certainly don't know who Rebecca Black is, first time I've heard the name.

I think I will keep it that way and also see if anyone I associate with *ever* mentions her name.

You probably have heard of her or her song but didn't realize they were talking about her. She is super cute but famous for putting out a really bad song.

If you're curious to watch her video, (which has had over 14 million hits on YouTube so far) it's here: (I still have fun watching it)
Rebecca Black's FRIDAY Music Video
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
December 23rd, 2011 at 12:27:48 PM permalink
Or don't. It's awful and tawdry. She's only 14, so she has an excuse.

The people making it viral didn't.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
thecesspit
thecesspit
December 23rd, 2011 at 12:30:34 PM permalink
Now Number 7 is a quality act. Though I always get that discnnect between her singing and her speaking. That's a proper Sarf Lahn-dan accent, and no mistake.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
December 23rd, 2011 at 1:45:51 PM permalink
Mubarak resigns, 2011 energy crisis, 16,000 dead and nuclear disaster averted in Japanese earthquake, Libian civil war and ousting of Gaddafi, killing of bin Laden, the first artificial organ transplant, UN declares first famine in 30 years, NASA launches final shuttle mission, water possibly found on Mars, Greek finances FUBAR, world population reaches 7 billion, and the Iraq war ends.

But who gives a shit about that. It's Friday, Friday, gotta get down on Friday.

I don't want to live on this planet anymore.
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
DeadRats
DeadRats
  • Threads: 4
December 23rd, 2011 at 1:52:56 PM permalink
" I don't want to live on this planet anymore." One more sad case of security burnout !
OneAngryDwarf
OneAngryDwarf
  • Threads: 44
December 23rd, 2011 at 1:54:19 PM permalink
Quote: Face

Mubarak resigns, 2011 energy crisis, 16,000 dead and nuclear disaster averted in Japanese earthquake, Libian civil war and ousting of Gaddafi, killing of bin Laden, the first artificial organ transplant, UN declares first famine in 30 years, NASA launches final shuttle mission, water possibly found on Mars, Greek finances FUBAR, world population reaches 7 billion, and the Iraq war ends.

It's ALWAYS been this way throughout recorded history. Romans at the Coliseum watching the gladiators kill each other, ignoring their own empire's oppressive tactics...the groundlings at the Globe Theatre watching Shakespeare plays (which were considered low-brow and written in the language of "the common man" at the time)...many people simply don't like to think, and prefer to occupy their time with bread and circuses.

Which, frankly, we need. I mean, life is pretty depressing overall, right? I agree that people could do a better job of paying attention, but we as a society need some kind of release. As long as one strikes a balance between mindless entertainment and real-life concerns, I think it's OK.
"I believe I've passed the age/of consciousness and righteous rage/I've found that just surviving was a noble fight... I once believed in causes too/I had my pointless point of view/And life went on no matter who was wrong or right..." --Billy Joel
weaselman
weaselman
  • Threads: 20
December 23rd, 2011 at 2:15:28 PM permalink
Quote: HotBlonde

You'll never guess what the #1 most googled thing was.

These are not most searched terms, they are quickest rising. Nobody heard about Rebecca Black a year ago, so, surely enough,
the rise was substantial.

To get some perspective, compare these, to some of the traditionally popular searches, as well as most steadily rising ones (note the green line's trend :)).
"When two people always agree one of them is unnecessary"
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
December 23rd, 2011 at 2:46:27 PM permalink
Quote: OneAngryDwarf

It's ALWAYS been this way throughout recorded history.

I know. Isn't that a curious thing?

Anyways, try not to take me too seriously ;) Most of my rage is still safely bottled up inside, saved for another day. Mostly I simply found a way to be passively aggressive, and make a humorous meme reference, AND take a jab at escapism all at the same time.

Hope I wasn't too negative, what with the season and all. Just letting off a lil steam. *Pshht*
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
thecesspit
thecesspit
December 23rd, 2011 at 3:34:56 PM permalink

Thing is, I don't have to search or google for the latest on Fukushima, or the Arab Spring. It's at the forefront, of the news, which ever media source you need. Where as, the more entertainment based stuff you'll tend to have to hear by word of mouth and then go find.

If I want to know more about current affairs, I'm unlikely to go via Google anyways. I'll go in via BBC, or wikipedia to get background. Google ain't my first port of call.
HotBlonde
HotBlonde
December 24th, 2011 at 4:44:57 PM permalink

Number 8 was Tepco, the nuclear power plant that had it's Japan location shut down.

Quote: thecesspit

Thing is, I don't have to search or google for the latest on Fukushima, or the Arab Spring. It's at the forefront, of the news, which ever media source you need. Where as, the more entertainment based stuff you'll tend to have to hear by word of mouth and then go find.

I think you hit it right on the nose.
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
  • Threads: 51
December 24th, 2011 at 5:44:37 PM permalink
Quote: HotBlonde

Haha, I have to say that I myself am guilty of contributing to this statistic.

Yest-rrr-day was Friday
Someday, joor goin' to see the name of Googie Gomez in lights and joor goin' to say to joorself, "Was that her?" and then joor goin' to answer to joorself, "That was her!" But you know somethin' mister? I was always her yuss nobody knows it! - Googie Gomez
HotBlonde
HotBlonde
December 24th, 2011 at 9:55:13 PM permalink
Quote: s2dbaker

Yest-rrr-day was Friday

...Today is Sat-ur-day
And Sunday comes... af-ter-wards...
  • Jump to: