Thread Rating:

EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
January 6th, 2024 at 9:01:09 AM permalink
I first came across this concept five or six years ago when I heard Elon Musk talking about it, that the world and everything in it is a computer simulation from a higher form of intelligence that we can't comprehend. I thought it was boloney at the time but I keep coming across more and more evidence that this might be the case. So many little things that make total sense if this is a simulation. This is not a religious discussion, the G word will never be mentioned. This has nothing to do with a religion. But it does explain a lot of the conclusions that religions came to. Like the Hindus say that the world isn't real it's just an illusion. And what about all this research they've been doing on reincarnation for the last 50 years and the hundreds and hundreds of people science has found that have verified memories of past lives. It's almost like their body dies in the simulation and their consciousness comes back as another character in the same simulation. But it's modern science itself it is kind of convincing me that this might be true. Here's an article from 3 years ago in Scientific American that is well worth reading.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/confirmed-we-live-in-a-simulation/
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
Thanked by
Mukke
January 6th, 2024 at 9:04:47 AM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

I first came across this concept five or six years ago when I heard Elon Musk talking about it, that the world and everything in it is a computer simulation from a higher form of intelligence that we can't comprehend. I thought it was boloney at the time but I keep coming across more and more evidence that this might be the case. So many little things that make total sense if this is a simulation. This is not a religious discussion, the G word will never be mentioned. This has nothing to do with a religion. But it does explain a lot of the conclusions that religions came to. Like the Hindus say that the world isn't real it's just an illusion. And what about all this research they've been doing on reincarnation for the last 50 years and the hundreds and hundreds of people science has found that have verified memories of past lives. It's almost like their body dies in the simulation and their consciousness comes back as another character in the same simulation. But it's modern science itself it is kind of convincing me that this might be true. Here's an article from 3 years ago in Scientific American that is well worth reading.

link to original post

Did you happen to notice the date of the article?
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
  • Threads: 113
January 6th, 2024 at 9:13:16 AM permalink
I suggest taking The Groundhog Day movie seriously.
EvenBob
EvenBob
unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 14
January 6th, 2024 at 9:51:07 AM permalink
If there was really evidence, then people would be making hypotheses and testing them to show we live in a sim. Thats how the scientific method works.

I don’t dismiss the idea that we might be living in a simulation, but I have yet to hear a testable hypothesis about the subject. Until then, it goes in the category of taking something on faith.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
OnceDear
OnceDear
  • Threads: 63
Thanked by
rsactuarydcjohn
January 6th, 2024 at 10:00:07 AM permalink

I first came across this concept five or six years ago when I heard Elon Musk talking about it, that the world and everything in it is a computer simulation from a higher form of intelligence that we can't comprehend. I thought it was boloney at the time but I keep coming across more and more evidence that this might be the case.

You thought it was Baloney until reading a three year old April Fools' joke article which you swallowed hook line and sinker !?!

Don't feel bad. That single article got spun out as endless youtube content. Were those that propagated the baloney in on the joke or 'taken in' by the joke.

Was EvenBob fooled? Or was he having a joke with the forum. I wonder if he STILL convinced by the joke.
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Confirmed!+We+Live+in+a+Simulation&iax=videos&ia=videos&iai=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Drc1NkRJgPbU

Which will be easier for EvenBob to do now? Shrug and say "Doh! they fooled me" and walk back this post. or double down with more "evidence" of this baloney?

I go with the latter.

Quote: evenbob

So many little things that make total sense if this is a simulation...

...And what about all this research they've been doing on reincarnation for the last 50 years and the hundreds and hundreds of people science has found that have verified memories of past lives. ...
... that is well worth reading.

link to original post

NO
No. Just NO!!!!!

It was baloney three years ago. It's baloney still.
Psalm 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Proverbs 18:2 A fool finds no satisfaction in trying to understand, for he would rather express his own opinion.
OnceDear
OnceDear
Thanked by
rsactuary
January 6th, 2024 at 10:08:29 AM permalink
Quote: OnceDear

[Which will be easier for EvenBob to do now? Shrug and say "Doh! they fooled me" and walk back this post. or double down with more "evidence" of this baloney?

I go with the latter.

It was baloney three years ago. It's baloney still.
link to original post

Quote: evenbob

Yes but I didn't take it as a prank because everything in the article is in other articles.

And it's not possible that some of those other articles weren't posted by idiots and liars?
Psalm 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Proverbs 18:2 A fool finds no satisfaction in trying to understand, for he would rather express his own opinion.
EvenBob
EvenBob
January 6th, 2024 at 10:19:59 AM permalink

And it's not possible that some of those other articles weren't posted by idiots and liars?
link to original post

It's not just one article, be it true or false, real or fake. It's the preponderance of evidence that's mounting up, more and more of it every year. Not to mention the anecdotal evidence from your own life about things that don't make any sense but make perfect sense if this was a simulation. Is it true or not, we'll probably never know. But it certainly explains a lot if it was.

"The simulation hypothesis is a materialistic view, which argues that our universe is most likely a simulation in a physical universe. In Are you living in a computer simulation?, Nick Bostrom discusses how sufficient evolution of future technology leads to lifeforms capable of producing a large quantity of high fidelity simulations, called ancestor simulations. These simulations express an evolutionary process leading to humans and on up through higher levels of biological and technological evolution. The simulation hypothesis explains where the information that is our reality comes from. However, it does not offer an explanation for where the physical stuff of the real universe comes from. Because there would be more simulations than the one real universe, the deduction is that it is more likely that we are in one of the simulations than the real universe."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7516678/#:~:text=Because%20there%20would%20be%20more,which%20we%20define%20as%20thought.
EvenBob
EvenBob
January 6th, 2024 at 10:26:36 AM permalink
"Perhaps the most supportive evidence of the simulation hypothesis comes from quantum mechanics. This suggest nature isn't "real": particles in determined states, such as specific locations, don't seem to exist unless you actually observe or measure them. Instead, they are in a mix of different states simultaneously. Similarly, virtual reality needs an observer or programmer for things to happen."

https://phys.org/news/2022-11-simulation.html
EvenBob
EvenBob
January 6th, 2024 at 10:31:26 AM permalink
"That said, it is my belief that we do live in a computer simulation and that the double slit experiment PROVES it to be true. So far, there is not a definitive scientific explanation for why the photon changes its “form” or “behavior” while under observation."

https://medium.com/@DevinGates/does-quantum-physics-prove-the-simulation-theory-correct-f939ff6d5f0f
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 117
January 6th, 2024 at 10:35:57 AM permalink

I first came across this concept five or six years ago when I heard Elon Musk talking about it, that the world and everything in it is a computer simulation from a higher form of intelligence that we can't comprehend.link to original post

I for one heard of the possibility of it in an episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation. I doubt that I am alone in that.

Apparently, the theory is much older than that.
EvenBob
EvenBob
January 6th, 2024 at 12:26:34 PM permalink
Quote: ThatDonGuy[/q

I for one heard of the possibility of it in an episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation. I doubt that I am alone in that.

Apparently, the theory is much older than that.
link to original post

That link was an interesting read because it gives so many sides of the argument. For myself it's more anecdotal than scientific, the science is just an interesting backup to it. The older I get and the more I look back on my life the more I realize how silly and ridiculous most of it was. But it wasn't silly or ridiculous at the time. When it was happening it was extremely important and I very much cared about the details. But what I found important when I was 20 was totally forgotten when I was 30, and by the time I was 40 I had a totally new set of priorities. And so on through the years. Which of those scenarios was the true reality, all of them and none of them. Reality seems to be whatever you make it out to be, we seem to create our own realities. Which would be the case if we lived in a simulation. Even Shakespeare said that the whole world is a stage and we are only actors on the stage. Now that I'm in my mid 70s this is what life really feels like, that it's kind of a joke. It starts nowhere it goes nowhere and it ends up nowhere. We just fill in the spaces along the way with our silliness. And it's amazing how much this philosophy that the world is just a dream runs through all kinds of different religions.

It's always bothered me that in all the people that I've known in my life who have died I never wonder or worry where any of them are. I've never heard anybody say they're concerned about their Aunt Ruth who died 20 years ago. You just naturally assume all these people are just fine. That everything worked out and you don't have to think about it. Just like what would happen if our subconscious realized that this is actually a simulation and we're just playing a part in it.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
January 6th, 2024 at 1:03:41 PM permalink
The notion that we live in a computer situation may seem novel, but it has its roots in an allegory more than two thousand years old, i.e. Socrates' allegory of the cave, as reported by Plato in his "Republic."

Socrates’s allegory of the cave imagines a group of people chained together inside an underground cave as prisoners. Behind the prisoners there is a fire, and between the prisoners and the fire are moving puppets and real objects on a raised walkway with a low wall. However, the prisoners are unable to see anything behind them, as they have been chained and stuck looking in one direction—at the cave wall—their whole lives.

As they look at the wall before them, they believe the shadows of objects cast by the moving figures are real things—and the only things. Their visible world is their whole world.

https://www.masterclass.com/articles/allegory-of-the-cave-explainede
"What, me worry?"
EvenBob
EvenBob
January 6th, 2024 at 10:39:27 PM permalink
If you haven't seen this it will blow your mind. There's lots of videos I could have chosen but this one is the most forthright. In the movie the character of Jaws, the big guy with the metal in his mouth, has a girlfriend. At some point in the movie, it might be at the very end I don't remember, she smiles at him and she has a big set of very noticeable braces on her teeth and that's the big point of that scene, they have an attraction for each other because she has braces and he has a metal mouth.

Millions of people remember this and I'm one of them. I saw it in the movie theater and we all joked about it, everybody joked about it. But now this is a victim of what they call the Mandela effect, it's a false memory. Watch this video and then read the comments. Go on YouTube and look up another video about this and read thousands of comments of everybody who remembers her wearing braces. But when you look at any video of the movie now she's not wearing braces. Even if the video was done two years after the movie was made and people watched that video dozens of times and saw the braces, now the braces are gone. Many people are using this as an example that we live in a simulation and something in the algorithm changed to produce this effect. We all now have a false memory, but because there's so many of us we can share it. I don't know what's going on but it's freaky as hell. If you've seen a logical explanation let's hear it.

OnceDear
OnceDear
January 7th, 2024 at 2:04:03 AM permalink

If you haven't seen this it will blow your mind. ...

We all now have a false memory, but because there's so many of us we can share it. I don't know what's going on but it's freaky as hell. If you've seen a logical explanation let's hear it.

link to original post

Why EB? Are you open to having this nonsense debunked?

We're, most of us, familiar with the concept of false memories. It's a well documented and fairly well understood aspect of how our brains work. It's down to the mechanism by which we convert what we see and perceive into what we remember. It's why we can get multiple witnesses to an event and each can TRUTHFULLY remember things differently and contradict each-other.

When we process a scene, we lay down the 'gist' in a way that makes senses to us and fits with what we would expect to see. When we recall the image/scene later, we interpolate details that might not have actually been present. E.g. if we were in an area of town where predominantly black gangs operated and we got mugged by a youth in a grey hoodie we might lay down the memory of a black thug with a gun or a knife, because that makes sense to our preconceptions. We might believe it, even if the assailant had actually been a white female holding a stick, which would not fit our expectation.

In that two second scene, it would have made a lot of sense for Dolly to have worn braces. She opens or mouth in the exact slow way that Jaws did. In earlier scenes she barely opened her lips when smiling, as though she were shy of braces, and in this scene we see her gleaming teeth for the first time. The slow reveal positively directs us to expect and to perceive braces. It could even have been a deliberate joke by the film makers.

https://www.cbr.com/james-bond-moonraker-jaws-dolly-braces-legend-mandela-effect/
https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=4235954
https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/basics/false-memories
https://www.verywellhealth.com/false-memories-5225965
https://www.google.com/search?q=perception+and+false+memories&sca_esv=596335449&source=hp&ei=ZW-aZYb1DYG3hbIPsMaToAs&iflsig=ANes7DEAAAAAZZp9dQNIBzj3KA1o_JQ9xO-ML6EmFrNn&ved=0ahUKEwjGu4ny-8qDAxWBW0EAHTDjBLQQ4dUDCAw&uact=5&oq=perception+and+false+memories

To cite the existence of false memories as evidence that the universe has gone faulty is bad science and belongs in the same trash can as evidence of poltergeists, tooth fairies and that other things that lots of people claim to believe in, [ but which are banned from discussion here..]

I'm not going to try to convince evenbob of anything. He exhibits beliefs that are diametrically opposed to mine and his mind is as closed to persuasion as is mine. Nothing to be gained engaging him.

But it was nice to gain this insight into his belief system. Thank you EB. Next time I read your start to a new thread, I will let my preconception run free and proceed to perceive your stated beliefs to be worthless to me. I expect eb will do the same with any post of mine.
billryan
billryan
January 7th, 2024 at 6:59:25 AM permalink
All this because the OP didn't realize an April Fools article was punking him. Tell us, Eb, Did you ever get a chance to see the great Sid Finch when you were younger?
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
EvenBob
EvenBob
January 7th, 2024 at 7:19:31 AM permalink

link to original post

I was in the movie theater with my friend and we saw the braces. The entire audience saw them, there was a huge laugh and even applause when she opened her mouth and we saw these big fat shiny braces that were way larger than any real braces would have been. Before I even started reading about this the very first time I saw the reference to Jaws girlfriend, I thought about her braces because that was a big deal. It was a gag, it was supposed to get a huge reaction from the audience. Did you read any of the comments on the videos about this? Thousands of people remember them. Look at the people who saw this movie on DVD and VHS every year for years. You can't just explain this away, the entire audience I was with saw the braces and we commented on them. We said things like what happens when they kiss, does the metal in their mouth lock together? People were joking about it as we left the movie. Do a little more research on this before you come up with the lame 'false memory' BS.
EvenBob
EvenBob
January 7th, 2024 at 7:21:09 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

All this because the OP didn't realize an April Fools article was punking him.
link to original post

Everything I posted about this and that's all you got out of it? Good grief I'm embarrassed for you.. Do yourself a favor, don't read anymore of my posts about this, there's a good lad..
EvenBob
EvenBob
January 7th, 2024 at 7:53:28 AM permalink
Gandler
Gandler
  • Threads: 35
January 7th, 2024 at 8:37:42 AM permalink

If you haven't seen this it will blow your mind. There's lots of videos I could have chosen but this one is the most forthright. In the movie the character of Jaws, the big guy with the metal in his mouth, has a girlfriend. At some point in the movie, it might be at the very end I don't remember, she smiles at him and she has a big set of very noticeable braces on her teeth and that's the big point of that scene, they have an attraction for each other because she has braces and he has a metal mouth.

Millions of people remember this and I'm one of them. I saw it in the movie theater and we all joked about it, everybody joked about it. But now this is a victim of what they call the Mandela effect, it's a false memory. Watch this video and then read the comments. Go on YouTube and look up another video about this and read thousands of comments of everybody who remembers her wearing braces. But when you look at any video of the movie now she's not wearing braces. Even if the video was done two years after the movie was made and people watched that video dozens of times and saw the braces, now the braces are gone. Many people are using this as an example that we live in a simulation and something in the algorithm changed to produce this effect. We all now have a false memory, but because there's so many of us we can share it. I don't know what's going on but it's freaky as hell. If you've seen a logical explanation let's hear it.

link to original post

I don't think the Mandala effect is a sign of a simulation, most are explained by just thinking through the action and why it would be recalled that way. Many of the common examples are easy to see how your brain can think and remember of a logo or event differently (as many are related to popular media or logos.) I think the idea that somebody running a simulation and is slightly altering scenes in popular media across a simulation, to force false memories over totally inconsequential topics is a stretch.

For the Moonraker example, it happens about half way through the film, after the cable car crashes. The lady (I don't know if her character even has a name,) helps him from the rubble and he smiles at her with his metal teeth, and she smiles back. And, most people who see it as a kid (because my brain did this,) instinctively think, "oh how funny would it be if she had braces." And, that thought is what sticks in their mind, so if you have not watched the movie since you were like 8, and its 40 years later or whatever, all your brain triggers in its memory is, "she smiles back with braces."

Another popular Mandala Effect (that kind of links to Moonraker, in fact it may be partially responsible for the current generation of misquoting) is Casablanca's , "Play it Sam," NOT, "Play it again Sam." Moonraker even gets this wrong as an offhand joke when the ninja assassin gets thrown through the piano by Bond, and he says the incorrect line, "Play it Again Sam." (And, I have a feeling most people who you ask to quote the line will say it with the "again" )

But, most people remember, lines, logos, and scenes, how they think they should be, not how they actually are. This is why it is so common. It is not a sign of simulation glitches that only seem to effect random lines and scenes in popular movies.

-As an aside, an amusing one that came up with a coworker right before Xmas break, I never thought about despite eating constantly, is "Jif Peanut Butter," is not "Jiff" or "Jiffy" (I think most of my life I have said "Jiffy" and that is apparently wrong, and apparently most people do that.)

Mandala Effects are fun to go over, but I do not think they are a sign of anything other than how human brains work.
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
January 7th, 2024 at 8:39:54 AM permalink
If you can’t tell then it doesn’t matter.
A falling knife has no handle.
billryan
billryan
January 7th, 2024 at 8:43:02 AM permalink
I saw a car with a Free Nelson Mandela bumper sticker. The odd thing was the car was made a decade after his release—obviously a glitch in the matrix.
unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 14
January 7th, 2024 at 8:54:32 AM permalink

link to original post

I was in the movie theater with my friend and we saw the braces. The entire audience saw them, there was a huge laugh and even applause when she opened her mouth and we saw these big fat shiny braces that were way larger than any real braces would have been. Before I even started reading about this the very first time I saw the reference to Jaws girlfriend, I thought about her braces because that was a big deal. It was a gag, it was supposed to get a huge reaction from the audience. Did you read any of the comments on the videos about this? Thousands of people remember them. Look at the people who saw this movie on DVD and VHS every year for years. You can't just explain this away, the entire audience I was with saw the braces and we commented on them. We said things like what happens when they kiss, does the metal in their mouth lock together? People were joking about it as we left the movie. Do a little more research on this before you come up with the lame 'false memory' BS.
link to original post

You may be right. Per this person the braces were edited in, but later dropped from the VHS version. Or maybe just the remastered release.

https://airgunforums.co.uk/threads/the-mandela-effect.22408/#:~:text=The%20actress%20who%20played%20Dolly,the%20comedy%20scene%20with%20Jaws.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
January 7th, 2024 at 9:00:42 AM permalink
Too many living in a spinulation.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
OnceDear
OnceDear
January 7th, 2024 at 9:08:16 AM permalink

All this because the OP didn't realize an April Fools article was punking him. Tell us, Eb, Did you ever get a chance to see the great Sid Finch when you were younger?
link to original post

All this because the OP Can Never Admit an April Fools article was punked him!
OnceDear
OnceDear
January 7th, 2024 at 9:12:55 AM permalink

Similarly, virtual reality needs an observer or programmer for things to happen."

https://phys.org/news/2022-11-simulation.html
link to original post

Similarly if a tree falls in the woods, it makes no sound if no-one is there to hear it

See. Anyone can spout nonsense sound bites. I don't claim, or aspire to be as adept at it as evenbob. He remains the go-to guy for nonsense and pseudo scientific mumbo jumbo.
Last edited by: OnceDear on Jan 7, 2024
billryan
billryan
January 7th, 2024 at 9:18:36 AM permalink
Did you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present... tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and you're the only person sitting in the audience
Ian Anderson 4-1-75

Does anyone remember when Ian had only one leg?
EvenBob
EvenBob
January 7th, 2024 at 9:28:56 AM permalink

All this because the OP Can Never Admit an April Fools article was punked him!
link to original post

I didn't hear about this yesterday haven't hearing about simulation theory for 5 or 6 years. It's just lately things are really pointing a lot more in that direction.

I don't take anything you say seriously, in fact quite the opposite. I lost any respect for you when you made that comment on the other forum during covid that you hoped everybody who didn't take the vaccine would die from covid. What kind of a person says something like that on a public forum. Somebody who would go to any lengths to be right. Ever since then I take everything you say as you just trying to be right by whatever means you can. So I have zero respect for you and even less for what you post. Just thought I would clear that up in case you were wondering where I stand. So blather on all you want with your nonsense, it's falling on deaf ears.
EvenBob
EvenBob
January 7th, 2024 at 9:39:45 AM permalink
Quote: unJon

You may be right. Per this person the braces were edited in, but later dropped from the VHS version. Or maybe just the remastered release.

https://airgunforums.co.uk/threads/the-mandela-effect.22408/#:~:text=The%20actress%20who%20played%20Dolly,the%20comedy%20scene%20with%20Jaws.
link to original post

It's not that I may be right, I am right. I was 30 years old in 1979 and I was in the theater and I have an excellent memory. This was a huge part of the movie, her smiling and showing braces because it was a joke done on purpose because you instantly understood what the attraction was between the two of them. With the braces gone when you watch that scene it is absolutely meaningless now. It's just some little girl smiling at him and it means nothing. The whole setup with him smiling a little and then actually grinning and the sun reflecting off the metal was the setup, and the punchline was her opening her mouth and exposing the metal she had. Got a huge laugh from the crowd, I even laughed, and people applauded because it was cool. Like I said look at different videos and read the thousands and thousands of comments of people who have the same exact memory. Or the people who watched the movie on VHS for years and years and years and saw the movie dozens of times and the braces were always there. Some people have admitted to seeking psychiatric treatment over this because they thought they were losing their minds. And it's true that most of the things in the Mandela effect have been proven false but there's a lot of them that haven't. Like Jiffy peanut butter, I would swear there was a Jiffy peanut butter when I was a kid in the 1950s. We used to see commercials for it all the time but now it doesn't exist. There's Jif peanut butter, there's Jiffy Pop popcorn, but no Jiffy peanut butter. Why do so many people have a vivid memory that there was and I'm one of them. Or the Fruit of the Loom controversy, that has a lot of people going around in circles. Look it up.
billryan
billryan
January 7th, 2024 at 10:03:20 AM permalink
Because people are fools, who would rather believe a massive conspiracy took away their beloved Jiffy peanut butter? One of my friends was hired by a major studio to track down the few VCR tapes that were accidentally released of Sinbad formerly beloved Genie movie.
It took him nearly two decades but they finally erased all records of it ever existing. It was touch and go as one Hollywood producer threatened to show the film on public access but THEY got to him.
EvenBob
EvenBob
January 7th, 2024 at 10:13:26 AM permalink
This is something I wondered about for a long time.

"Paranormal events are not hauntings or alien encounters, but glitches in the simulation."

This also would apply to reincarnation which thanks to the 60 years of research done at the University of Virginia has pretty much been proven to be a fact. There are hundreds of researched people who had memories of a past life when they were a child. Living in a simulation would explain this, it's just another glitch that's not supposed to happen. When you die and go on to become another character in the simulation you aren't supposed to remember your last characters memories. And please spare me the negative comments about reincarnation unless you've done the due diligence like I have and read the actual research material and even read the books written by skeptics who might have not been convinced that it's real but they do admit that something is going on that can't be explained.
billryan
billryan
January 7th, 2024 at 10:50:37 AM permalink
You did so much due diligence that you didn't realize the article you posted was an April Fools joke. Is that how you came up with your winning gambling formula as well?
As they say- garbage in, garbage out.
billryan
billryan
January 7th, 2024 at 10:55:02 AM permalink
Scientific American is legendary for its April Fools prank articles. In fact, one year, they decided not to run one and had to state that all the articles in that year's April issue were real and valid. Many still thought it was all part of a longer prank.
EvenBob
EvenBob
January 7th, 2024 at 12:29:43 PM permalink

You did so much due diligence that you didn't realize the article you posted was an April Fools joke. Is that how you came up with your winning gambling formula as well?
As they say- garbage in, garbage out.
link to original post

LOL! Keep poking, keep looking for that response, keep doing what you do best and why you probably hold the record for suspensions here. I'm not going to play your game but you can keep hoping. Doesn't it bother you that a lot of us have you figured out totally?
EvenBob
EvenBob
January 7th, 2024 at 12:42:14 PM permalink
"Several influential tech billionaires have expressed interest in or support for the Simulation Hypothesis. Elon Musk, CEO of Tesla and SpaceX, is one of the most vocal advocates. In 2016, he estimated the odds that we are NOT living in a computer simulation at “one in billions.” Musk believes advanced civilizations would use simulations to explore their history.
Peter Thiel, PayPal co-founder and early Facebook investor, has shown interest in the hypothesis as well. At a 2016 conference, Thiel said the simulation hypothesis explains the high number of unlikely events that have shaped history.
Other tech leaders open to the idea include Sam Altman, CEO of OpenAI (ChatGPT), astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson, and Paul Gilding. Their interest often stems from the immense technological advances made in virtual reality and artificial intelligence."

https://www.earth.com/news/simulation-hypothesis-are-we-living-in-a-computer-simulation/
billryan
billryan
January 7th, 2024 at 12:46:49 PM permalink

"Several influential tech billionaires have expressed interest in or support for the Simulation Hypothesis. Elon Musk, CEO of Tesla and SpaceX, is one of the most vocal advocates. In 2016, he estimated the odds that we are NOT living in a computer simulation at “one in billions.” Musk believes advanced civilizations would use simulations to explore their history.
Peter Thiel, PayPal co-founder and early Facebook investor, has shown interest in the hypothesis as well. At a 2016 conference, Thiel said the simulation hypothesis explains the high number of unlikely events that have shaped history.
Other tech leaders open to the idea include Sam Altman, CEO of OpenAI (ChatGPT), astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson, and Paul Gilding. Their interest often stems from the immense technological advances made in virtual reality and artificial intelligence."

https://www.earth.com/news/simulation-hypothesis-are-we-living-in-a-computer-simulation/
link to original post

Some other articles that are highlighted on the link
Are elevators causing cancer in dogs?
Do the dead have the right not to be digitally resurrected?
EvenBob
EvenBob
January 7th, 2024 at 1:08:12 PM permalink

link to original post

You missed "Why do people who live in Arizona claim more alien abductions than any other state?"
billryan
billryan
January 7th, 2024 at 1:36:34 PM permalink

link to original post

You missed "Why do people who live in Arizona claim more alien abductions than any other state?"
link to original post

I must have missed that one. Could you point it out? The two I mentioned are prominent but I think the one you posted doesn't exist.
Show me I'm wrong
EvenBob
EvenBob
January 7th, 2024 at 2:07:19 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

I must have missed that one. Could you point it out? The two I mentioned are prominent but I think the one you posted doesn't exist.
Show me I'm wrong
link to original post

Oh my gosh, it was there and now it's gone! Or maybe it's just a false memory like with the braces on the girls teeth. I guess we'll never know... Snicker..
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
January 7th, 2024 at 2:26:03 PM permalink

Oh my gosh, it was there and now it's gone! Or maybe it's just a false memory like with the braces on the girls teeth. I guess we'll never know... Snicker..
link to original post

If it did exist momentarily, it may have been just plain wrong.

https://studyfinds.org/ufo-sightings-usa-most-reports/

That one is at least pretending to follow some kind of reporting methodology.
May the cards fall in your favor.
billryan
billryan
January 7th, 2024 at 3:44:43 PM permalink
I spent more time star gazing in the three years I've lived in Arizona than the rest of my life. I've seen satellite trains that defy description. Cochise is one of the top ten stargazing sites in the country. Even though I am on the western fringe of Tucson, in a Dark Skies zone, there is a magnitude of difference between here and my campsite.
A UFO in Arizona would attract many more eyes than one in NYC.
With that said, I suspect there is a relationship between alien abduction and ketamine therapy.
EvenBob
EvenBob
Thanked by
onenickelmiracle
January 7th, 2024 at 3:54:55 PM permalink

I spent more time star gazing in the three years I've lived in Arizona than the rest of my life. I've seen satellite trains that defy description. Cochise is one of the top ten stargazing sites in the country. Even though I am on the western fringe of Tucson, in a Dark Skies zone, there is a magnitude of difference between here and my campsite.
A UFO in Arizona would attract many more eyes than one in NYC.
With that said, I suspect there is a relationship between alien abduction and ketamine therapy.
link to original post

Aliens, extraterrestrials, are a big issue in the simulation community. Scientists who do it for a living say that it doesn't make any sense that we're not seeing any other civilizations besides our own. We should be saying tons of them by now and one explanation is they do not fit into the simulation. It's enough just keeping this simulation going and adding in a universe that looks like it's full of billions of galaxies and goes on forever. But building a simulation for an entire other race of beings might be beyond its capability.
EvenBob
EvenBob
Thanked by
onenickelmiracle
January 7th, 2024 at 5:01:39 PM permalink
A mistake people make about the simulation Theory is that they think computers in the future or what amounts to computers in another reality look and act just like the computers we have. Just look at how much things have changed in the last 100 years with electronics. If you could see the interior of a computer in the 1940s it looks absolutely nothing like what a computer today looks like on the inside. And 50 years from now computers will probably look nothing like they do now. So you can't put the restrictions of what it would take to simulate the world we live in, you can't put those restrictions around what we're capable of today. We have no idea what's coming and we certainly have no idea of what can exist in another reality. Like Elon Musk always says it's a billion to one chance that we live in the base reality. And there's a super excellent chance we live in one of the simulations.

My feeling is that people in the east that we would call enlightened are actually in contact with the base reality outside the simulation. That's why they cannot explain it with words. An enlightened zen master will say that he can't teach anything, all he can do is point and hope you catch on. This explanation makes more sense that anything I've ever heard about enlightenment. A modern zen master will say he lives in two different worlds. In one he eats and sleeps and even watches TV sometimes. And in the other one he's totally separated from this reality. Some people are born striving to get to that other reality, maybe they are people who've been players in the simulation for so many times that they're looking to escape it.
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 26
Thanked by
RogerKint
January 8th, 2024 at 7:01:02 AM permalink
EvenBob finally realized his fake Roulette system was fully debunked, so he had to find something new to prattle on about that could never be disproven.... simulation theory and quantum physics....LOL
EvenBob
EvenBob
January 8th, 2024 at 7:05:37 AM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

EvenBob finally realized his fake Roulette system was fully debunked, so he had to find something new to prattle on about that could never be disproven.... simulation theory and quantum physics....LOL
link to original post

LOL, you wish. Please don't talk about my method outside of my roulette thread because that's the only place I'm allowed to discuss it. I'm not going to put in a complaint about this particular post but keep it up and I will.
EvenBob
EvenBob
January 8th, 2024 at 7:06:08 AM permalink
billryan
billryan
January 8th, 2024 at 8:01:05 AM permalink
Around 1980, one of my classmates asked a professor about something. The teacher said he wasn't familiar with it, but that it didn't sound right. The student showed up with the article and the teacher took it, promising to read it.
In the next class, the student was asked to stand up and read the headline, including the date.
The student read the date- April 1st, 1975 and realized he'd fallen victim to a hoax. He was mature enough to realize he'd been fooled and man enough to admit it.
Compare and contrast it to this situation.
Never judge a person by their mistakes. Judge them by how they react when they realize they made a mistake. Some are man enough to admit it and move on. Then you have those whose spine allows them to bend backward before admitting anything.
EvenBob
EvenBob
January 8th, 2024 at 8:41:07 AM permalink

Around 1980, one of my classmates asked a professor about something. The teacher said he wasn't familiar with it, but that it didn't sound right. The student showed up with the article and the teacher took it, promising to read it.
In the next class, the student was asked to stand up and read the headline, including the date.
The student read the date- April 1st, 1975 and realized he'd fallen victim to a hoax. He was mature enough to realize he'd been fooled and man enough to admit it.
Never judge a person by their mistakes. Judge them by how they react when they realize they made a mistake. Some are man enough to admit it and move on. Then you have those whose spine allows them to bend backward before admitting anything.
link to original post

I'm going to explain this to you even though I don't have to because you won't let it go. I had a whole list of articles about simulation that I was going to post and that just happened to be the first one and to tell you the truth I didn't really read it I just skimmed it. If you think I'm basing this whole thing on one stupid article, get over it. I've been interested in this subject for years. In fact I was totally against it when I first heard about it on a podcast that I listen to regularly. The guy was a big fan of simulation and I made many posts telling him he was wrong for various reasons. But over the years that's gone by so much evidence has come forward that I can't ignore it anymore. Think what you want but if you keep up with this ridiculous line I'll just block you which I don't like to do but I will do it and you can go talk to yourself about it.
billryan
billryan
January 8th, 2024 at 9:00:52 AM permalink

link to original post

I'm going to explain this to you even though I don't have to because you won't let it go. I had a whole list of articles about simulation that I was going to post and that just happened to be the first one and to tell you the truth I didn't really read it I just skimmed it. If you think I'm basing this whole thing on one stupid article, get over it. I've been interested in this subject for years. In fact I was totally against it when I first heard about it on a podcast that I listen to regularly. The guy was a big fan of simulation and I made many posts telling him he was wrong for various reasons. But over the years that's gone by so much evidence has come forward that I can't ignore it anymore. Think what you want but if you keep up with this ridiculous line I'll just block you which I don't like to do but I will do it and you can go talk to yourself about it.
link to original post

billryan
billryan
January 8th, 2024 at 9:02:40 AM permalink

link to original post

Did you happen to notice the date of the article?
link to original post

Yes but I didn't take it as a prank because everything in the article is in other articles.

https://www.sciencealert.com/physics-revelation-could-mean-were-all-living-in-a-simulation

https://www.forbes.com/sites/calumchace/2022/11/16/are-we-living-in-a-simulation-can-we-break-out-of-it/

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/do-we-live-in-a-simulation-chances-are-about-50-50/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLSEc4oTTaA

link to original post[/q

I'm not sure how anyone can reconcile these two statements .
  • Jump to: