Thread Rating:

RonC
RonC
  • Threads: 40
April 11th, 2019 at 11:17:57 AM permalink
Quote: Steverinos

Not if you also believe that historical events like the Whiskey and Shay's rebellion prove that the founding fathers never intended for the 2nd Amendment to be interpreted the way it has been for the last 40 or so years since the NRA changed it's platform, I think in 1977 at their Cincinnati convention. Not if you also believe that if you are not part of a state "militia" (which the closest thing we have to that in 2019 is the National Guard), you do not have, as individual citizens, an unregulated and unchecked right to bear arms.

The Second Amendment does not say directly that you have to be part of a well regulated militia in order to keep and bear arms. If that was the intent of the amendment, I think the wording would be different.

The Supreme Court has also spoken on the issue...

"In the 2008 case District of Columbia v. Heller, the Supreme Court held that the "Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia, and to use that arm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home."

https://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution/second_amendment

The Court has also allowed certain restrictions on types of weapons and keeping certain people from owning them.
Steverinos
Steverinos
  • Threads: 5
April 11th, 2019 at 11:26:05 AM permalink
Quote: RonC

The Second Amendment does not say directly that you have to be part of a well regulated militia in order to keep and bear arms. If that was the intent of the amendment, I think the wording would be different.

"In the 2008 case District of Columbia v. Heller, the Supreme Court held that the "Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia, and to use that arm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home."

https://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution/second_amendment

I'm aware of the 5-4 Heller decision. There was also a dissent opinion in the case.

https://www.c-span.org/video/?c4727988/justice-breyer-dissenting-opinion-dc-v-heller

When you put the wording into the context of the historical events surrounding it, there is most definitely a valid argument to be made that the founding fathers never intended it to be interpreted the way it is now.

George Washington used the 2nd Amendment in the Whiskey Rebellion in the exact OPPOSITE way in which hardliners today said it was intended for. Think about that.
Tanko
Tanko
  • Threads: 0
April 11th, 2019 at 11:44:11 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

It is truly amazing what the pros can do.

Jack Nicklaus
RonC
RonC
April 11th, 2019 at 12:19:04 PM permalink

I'm aware of the 5-4 Heller decision. There was also a dissent opinion in the case.

https://www.c-span.org/video/?c4727988/justice-breyer-dissenting-opinion-dc-v-heller

When you put the wording into the context of the historical events surrounding it, there is most definitely a valid argument to be made that the founding fathers never intended it to be interpreted the way it is now.

George Washington used the 2nd Amendment in the Whiskey Rebellion in the exact OPPOSITE way in which hardliners today said it was intended for. Think about that.

Many opinions have dissents filed...that does not change the decision.

"Certainly one of the chief guarantees of freedom under any government, no matter how popular and respected, is the right of citizens to keep and bear arms. This is not to say that firearms should not be very carefully used and that definite safety rules of precaution should not be taught and enforced. But the right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against a tyranny which now appears remote in America, but which historically has proved to be always possible."

--Democrat Vice President and Minnesota Sen. Hubert Humphrey

https://www.vox.com/2016/8/22/12559364/second-amendment-tyranny-militia-constitution-founders
ams288
ams288 
  • Threads: 22
Thanked by
Minty
April 11th, 2019 at 12:31:09 PM permalink
For some levity: Michael Scott as the 2020 Dem nominees.

The Warren and Bernie ones are my faves.
Ding Dong the Witch is Dead
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
Thanked by
SOOPOO
April 11th, 2019 at 12:35:24 PM permalink
I like the videos out there of 400 pound
Jerry Nadler in 1998 going on and on
about why the Starr report should not
be released to the public. The huge harm
it would do. And then they show Jerry
now, whining and moaning about how
the Mueller report must be released
in it's entirety. At least he's thinner now.

He was right, the Starr report caused
much harm, that's why it's now illegal
to release an unredacted version.
Nadler is such a tool..
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
Paradigm
Paradigm
  • Threads: 42
April 11th, 2019 at 12:52:23 PM permalink

From federally licensed dealers, yes. From private sellers? ...no

Nice deflection...but, OK, let's take it your direction. For local/city/county elections, I'll give in on no voter ID required. For elections to the U.S. House, U.S. Senate and POTUS we install voter ID requirements, you're good with that, right? Those are the comparables to private vs. FFL sales of firearms.

If you are going to exercise your right to own a firearm, their should be some registration/paperwork/ID requirements on that. If you are going to vote and contribute to shaping the way the country is governed, their should be some registration/paperwork/ID requirements on that.

To argue one, but not the other is pure hypocrisy when bringing up "Constitutional Rights". But you'll figure some way to deflect that basic truth...go ahead, move the goal posts to some argument about how 2A isn't being interpreted correctly...WTF!

I can't wait for the SCOTUS to begin hearing more 2A cases over the next several years overturning magazine restriction laws as unconstitutional among other firearms restrictions. Magazine case will come out of CA (Duncan vs. Bercerra). It is too funny that Gavin Newsome & Xavier Becerra's attempts to limit magazine capacity opened up a one week window in CA where millions of higher capacity magazines were legally imported/purchased into CA before a stay could be implemented. Way to go Gavin, you just nullified a 20 year ban on these magazines in CA...what a rocket scientist we have as the CA Governor & Attorney General!!

Future SCOTUS votes on 2A cases will go 5-4...the Left has learned nothing since the Heller decision and slowly over time, will get their heads handed to them on this issue. Whatever is the left going to do when Donnie appoints RBG's replacement on the SCOTUS to make it a 6-3 conservative court? Let's hope a Voter ID case gets up to the SCOTUS soon...that will be perfection!
Boz
Boz
  • Threads: 155
April 11th, 2019 at 3:36:41 PM permalink
Yea it’s Breitbart and ratings don’t necessarily translate into votes, but damn there must be some depressed liberals out there who have tuned out.

https://www.breitbart.com/the-media/2019/04/11/cnn-sinks-15th-place-maddow-viewership-still-down-double-digits/

Baghdad Bob (Maddow) thought she couldn’t look like more of an idiot than she did with Trump’s Tax Return, but she found a way.

She must be burrowing her face in disgust every night in her pillow. Or somewhere.
RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
Thanked by
EvenBob
April 11th, 2019 at 3:49:21 PM permalink
What're the odds Obama admin. spied on Trump?
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 241
Thanked by
EvenBobRS
April 11th, 2019 at 3:58:55 PM permalink
Quote: RS

About 100%.

What are the odds that they try to make history ignore it?
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 89
April 11th, 2019 at 4:09:29 PM permalink
Quote: Boz

Yea it’s Breitbart and ratings don’t necessarily translate into votes, but damn there must be some depressed liberals out there who have tuned out.

https://www.breitbart.com/the-media/2019/04/11/cnn-sinks-15th-place-maddow-viewership-still-down-double-digits/

Baghdad Bob (Maddow) thought she couldn’t look like more of an idiot than she did with Trump’s Tax Return, but she found a way.

She must be burrowing her face in disgust every night in her pillow. Or somewhere.

I never watch her show, foxnews, MSNBC, CNN all meaningless unless there is a breaking news story
Its just a forum. Nothing here to get obsessed about.
terapined
terapined
April 11th, 2019 at 4:10:01 PM permalink

Low but go ahead and investigate
EvenBob
EvenBob
April 11th, 2019 at 4:12:14 PM permalink

Those of us that are aware of Rush and
Hannity and Laura have been hearing
the details of what happened for a year and
a half. None of this is a surprise to us.

CNN/MS was convinced we'd never get
to the point of an actual investigation,
they were sure Mueller would nail Trump
before that ever happened.

That's why Pelosi and the rest are out
screeching like cats on a backyard fence
about how corrupt Barr is. The Dems
can't afford for what Obama did to come
out in an election year cycle. But come
out it will..
Steverinos
Steverinos
April 11th, 2019 at 4:27:58 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

CNN/MS was convinced we'd never get
to the point of an actual investigation,
they were sure Mueller would nail Trump
before that ever happened.

Huh? The inspector general has already been investigating this. Rush not tell you that?
ams288
ams288 
April 11th, 2019 at 5:03:32 PM permalink
Barr knows next week is going to be absolutely brutal for Donald when we finally get to see the Mueller report.

That’s why he threw out the “spying” nonsense yesterday (and admitted he had absolutely no evidence for the claim when pressed on it shortly after). Gotta give the Trumpsters something to try to distract with.

He’s a Trump toady, nothing more.
EvenBob
EvenBob
April 11th, 2019 at 5:44:23 PM permalink

Huh? The inspector general has already been investigating this. Rush not tell you that?

If Mueller had nailed Trump with
a real crime, all of that would be
moot. Trump would be gone,
that's what they had all their
hopes riding on.
EvenBob
EvenBob
Thanked by
MaxPenRS
April 11th, 2019 at 5:45:46 PM permalink
Quote: ams288

Barr knows next week is going to be absolutely brutal for Donald when we finally get to see the Mueller report.

Still with the wishes and dreams, hopes
and fantasies. lol
ams288
ams288 
April 11th, 2019 at 5:58:32 PM permalink

Still with the wishes and dreams, hopes
and fantasies. lol

So you really believe it will provide a “complete and total exoneration” like Donny says? lol
EvenBob
EvenBob
April 11th, 2019 at 8:40:56 PM permalink

So you really believe it will provide a “complete and total exoneration”

I think it will be a big nothing burger
because there was nothing to
investigate in the first place.
This is what Barr will find out,
why did we waste $40 mil on
a fishing expedition.
Minty
Minty
  • Threads: 7
April 11th, 2019 at 11:38:57 PM permalink

For some levity: Michael Scott as the 2020 Dem nominees.

The Warren and Bernie ones are my faves.

Never a bad time for the Office. Would be fun to see a Michael Scott Trunpiest Moment's Compilation from the show.

I think I liked Warren and Klobuchar best.
"Just because I'm not doing anything illegal, doesn't mean I won't have to defend myself someday." -Chip Reese
RS
RS
Thanked by
RogerKintFleaswatterMooseton
April 12th, 2019 at 2:14:19 AM permalink

I think it will be a big nothing burger
because there was nothing to
investigate in the first place.
This is what Barr will find out,
why did we waste $40 mil on
a fishing expedition.

I’m a liberal, I support all money wasting investigations!
Investigate, investigate, investigate!
Yawn! :)
I’m not some dumb conservative who doesn’t want
money to be wasted! Why do something smart when you
can just waste money?! Yawn!
:)
Yawn! Yawn!
ams288
ams288 
April 12th, 2019 at 4:05:27 AM permalink

I’m a liberal, I support all money wasting investigations!
Investigate, investigate, investigate!
Yawn! :)
I’m not some dumb conservative who doesn’t want
money to be wasted! Why do something smart when you
can just waste money?! Yawn!
:)
Yawn! Yawn!

Finally you’re speaking some sense!! Welcome to the resistance!
Fleaswatter
Fleaswatter
  • Threads: 10
Thanked by
RogerKintMaxPenRS
April 12th, 2019 at 10:59:30 AM permalink

Welcome to the resistance!

Unfortunately that is all your side has to offer.
new motto for the left: “I don't know if I received bad information, but I think I suspected there was more than there actually was,” (John Brennan Mar 25, 2019)
Boz
Boz
Thanked by
AZDuffmanFleaswatter
April 12th, 2019 at 11:23:11 AM permalink
“Due to the fact that Democrats are unwilling to change our very dangerous immigration laws, we are indeed, as reported, giving strong considerations to placing Illegal Immigrants in Sanctuary Cities only....”

And you wonder why we love our President!

Common Sense solutions to problems.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 241
April 12th, 2019 at 11:27:22 AM permalink

“Due to the fact that Democrats are unwilling to change our very dangerous immigration laws, we are indeed, as reported, giving strong considerations to placing Illegal Immigrants in Sanctuary Cities only....”

Pelosi went ape when she heard about this. As to me, I love it!

I remember few years back, Obama was dropping refugees in one of the nicer parts of Rochester, NY. Lib I knew thought it was great. Wonder how he feels now?
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
Steverinos
Steverinos
April 12th, 2019 at 11:31:38 AM permalink

Democrats unwilling to change laws? Gang of Eight, bipartisan, and would've garnered a signature from our Democratic president.

House Republicans killed it.

Who's unwilling again?
Fleaswatter
Fleaswatter
April 12th, 2019 at 11:33:25 AM permalink

Additionally, they release them in front of Pelosi's, Schumer's, Gillibrand's, Beto's, (and any dem supporting illegal immigration) house.
new motto for the left: “I don't know if I received bad information, but I think I suspected there was more than there actually was,” (John Brennan Mar 25, 2019)
Boz
Boz
April 12th, 2019 at 11:35:05 AM permalink
Quote: Fleaswatter

Additionally, they release them in front of Pelosi's, Schumer's, Gillibrand's, Beto's, (and any dem supporting illegal immigration) house.

Leave Beto out of this, Texas doesn’t want or need anymore of these criminals than they are already stuck with. Assuming he actually owns a house there.
terapined
terapined
April 12th, 2019 at 12:05:08 PM permalink

““Due to the fact that Democrats are unwilling to change our very dangerous immigration laws, we are indeed, as reported, giving strong considerations to placing Illegal Immigrants in Sanctuary Cities only....”

Most illegals are due to overstaying a visa
I lean left and I am against over staying a visa and becoming illegal
How do we solve this problem?
I'm all ears
"Placing Illegal Immigrants in Sanctuary Cities only." I'm shocked you support this Boz. If they are in custody, you deport. Weird, Boz is against deportation.
So therefore Boz's common sense solution is no deportation. Send them to a US city. OK
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 213
April 12th, 2019 at 12:11:50 PM permalink
Trump about as loyal as Whitey Bulger to his biggest defenders.

Roger Stone
Quote:

In a wide-ranging interview with SiriusXM's "Jim Norton & Sam Roberts" Thursday, he said his living situation has plummeted, his savings are gone and his car was impounded.
When money problems forced Stone and his wife to move from a Fort Lauderdale mansion to a one-room apartment, the truck slipped out of gear and broke his wife's ankle.
And he's no longer talking to his old friend, President Donald Trump.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/roger-stones-woes-hes-broke-trump-doesnt-call-and-his-wife-broke-her-ankle/ar-BBVRm1q?ocid=spartanntp
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
Fleaswatter
Fleaswatter
April 12th, 2019 at 12:12:25 PM permalink
Quote: terapined

I'm all ears
"Placing Illegal Immigrants in Sanctuary Cities only." I'm shocked you support this Boz. If they are in custody, you deport. Weird, Boz is against deportation.
So therefore Boz's common sense solution is no deportation. Send them to a US city. OK

By your answer, you have shown that you are completely clueless about the laws with respect to the deportation of illegal immigrants.
RonC
RonC
April 12th, 2019 at 12:15:22 PM permalink

I'm all ears

The problem with "If they are in custody, you deport" is that so many are seeking asylum and we have so little space for them (compared to the amount coming into our country illegally). Family units have to be released in 20 days, and we don't have enough asylum judges to turn them around that quick. So...off they go, free to miss their court dates.
terapined
terapined
April 12th, 2019 at 12:45:21 PM permalink
Quote: Fleaswatter

By your answer, you have shown that you are completely clueless about the laws with respect to the deportation of illegal immigrants.

What law do you want passed?
Whatever the law is, why was it not passed when Trump controlled all branches when elected
Sounds like Republicans are passing the buck and being cry babies
terapined
terapined
April 12th, 2019 at 12:46:54 PM permalink
Quote: RonC

The problem with "If they are in custody, you deport" is that so many are seeking asylum and we have so little space for them (compared to the amount coming into our country illegally). Family units have to be released in 20 days, and we don't have enough asylum judges to turn them around that quick. So...off they go, free to miss their court dates.

?????
Hire more asylum judges.
Why was this not done day one when Trump got elected
Steverinos
Steverinos
April 12th, 2019 at 12:53:32 PM permalink

?????
Hire more asylum judges.

Because he does not want to solve the problem. He wants to escalate the problem.
MaxPen
MaxPen
  • Threads: 13
April 12th, 2019 at 12:54:49 PM permalink

Finally you’re speaking some sense!! Welcome to the resistance!

I'm pretty sure you support this traitorous nonsense. Correct me if I am wrong.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2019/04/12/new-york-democrats-kill-bill-tuition-gold-star-families-pass-tuition-illegals-instead/
ams288
ams288 
April 12th, 2019 at 12:56:18 PM permalink
Quote: MaxPen

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2019/04/12/new-york-democrats-kill-bill-tuition-gold-star-families-pass-tuition-illegals-instead/

Find a link that isn’t to a Breitbart article and *maybe* I’ll click on it.
terapined
terapined
April 12th, 2019 at 1:01:20 PM permalink

Yes its nonsense and stupid
I'm not a conservative so if I see stupid on the left, I say its stupid. The above is stupid. Happy?
This is old by the way, fleaswatter already posted this story and I also told him it was stupid
Curious, do you ever think Trump says stupid things or are you one of those conservatives that defend all the stupid things Trump says?
MaxPen
MaxPen
April 12th, 2019 at 1:04:52 PM permalink

Find a link that isn’t to a Breitbart article and *maybe* I’ll click on it.

SafeSpace ® link for ams288

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/new-york-democrats-allow-27-million-in-tuition-for-illegal-immigrants-deny-the-same-for-gold-star-families
RonC
RonC
April 12th, 2019 at 1:08:20 PM permalink

?????
Hire more asylum judges.

Honestly, I don't know. The Republicans many accuse of supporting him unconditionally did not send him any kind of a bill funding additional judges; I assume the money has to come from somewhere. I don't think the Democrats have passed a budget that has anything in it for extra judges yet. Anything he does without a law passed will be challenged in court and stopped, at least temporarily, with a little judge shopping,

I think he could do better on immigration, but I have thought that about the last few Presidents, once we realized the Reagan plan did not stop the problem. Both parties have had complete control (Presidency and both houses of Congress) during this time; nothing gets done.

I am beginning to wonder if ANYONE in government wants to solve the problem.

Someone trotted out the old "he doesn't want to solve the problem" answer a couple of posts ago...if that is true, he sure isn't the first...
ams288
ams288 
April 12th, 2019 at 1:58:56 PM permalink

SafeSpace ® link for ams288

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/new-york-democrats-allow-27-million-in-tuition-for-illegal-immigrants-deny-the-same-for-gold-star-families

Based on that article I’d say it’s a dumb move by the NY Dems.

That being said, I’m sure “there’s more to the story” as your first link was from Breitbart (white supremacist breeding ground) and second link was from Washington Examiner (right-wing rag). Perhaps a real news site could have better laid out “both sides” of the issue.

But I don’t really care enough to research it any further.
MaxPen
MaxPen
April 12th, 2019 at 2:05:22 PM permalink

Yes its nonsense and stupid
I'm not a conservative so if I see stupid on the left, I say its stupid. The above is stupid. Happy?
This is old by the way, fleaswatter already posted this story and I also told him it was stupid
Curious, do you ever think Trump says stupid things or are you one of those conservatives that defend all the stupid things Trump says?

You don't really see me defending the things Trump does or says. There really is no need. His actions speak louder than words. He has selflessly pushed himself to make things better in government.
Plus it's kind of hard to defend someone that is capable of defending himself against an attempted Deep State coup d'etat.
terapined
terapined
April 12th, 2019 at 2:25:56 PM permalink

Based on that article I’d say it’s a dumb move by the NY Dems.

That being said, I’m sure “there’s more to the story” as your first link was from Breitbart (white supremacist breeding ground) and second link was from Washington Examiner (right-wing rag). Perhaps a real news site could have better laid out “both sides” of the issue.

But I don’t really care enough to research it any further.

I agree
On the surface, seems stupid
but
This is Breibart
I don't trust those clowns over there so it could be fake news
RS
RS
April 12th, 2019 at 2:41:56 PM permalink

I'm all ears

Round them ****ers up and sell them to the Middle East, China, or North Korea as slaves.
terapined
terapined
Thanked by
SOOPOO
April 12th, 2019 at 2:50:16 PM permalink

Round them ****ers up and sell them to the Middle East, China, or North Korea as slaves.

A lot of homely women with children, tough sell
RS
RS
April 12th, 2019 at 3:07:06 PM permalink

A lot of homely women with children, tough sell

Just means they need less food. I think that’d be a great selling point. Plus I’m sure our marketing department could figure it out. “Buy 2 homely women and get a random extra kid free! Limited time only!” or “Does 3/4 work of man but only eats 1/2 as much!”
petroglyph
petroglyph
  • Threads: 19
April 12th, 2019 at 3:33:17 PM permalink

Open air slave markets is another thing Hillary and Obama can take credit for, since slaughtering Gaddafi, along with the rest of the most progressive country in the east.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/monicamark/slavery-nigeria-libya It looks like you can buy an adult black man for as little as 400 dollars.

As far as buying homely women or kids, it depends on what you want them for, imo. If you just want a housekeeper, and an occasional rump, does it really matter what the receiver is if you are just going to sodomize them? IDK.

The little kid slaves I think are a little bit like dogs. If you want one that is going to be really obedient, it's best to start training them as a puppy.

Who knows why they buy the lil kids? Maybe they are buying them for body parts? Some rich Sheik needs a kidney for his loved one, take one from one of these little slave kids and toss the rest of it's body in the desert.

Maybe the slave owner just wants a homely woman to tend to the rest of his harem? Could be he needs a harem guard that won't be bangin his women and cleans up afterwards? Ugly old women have utility, got to think outside the box.
SanchoPanza
SanchoPanza
  • Threads: 34
April 12th, 2019 at 4:47:40 PM permalink

I agree
On the surface, seems stupid
but
This is Breibart
I don't trust those clowns over there so it could be fake news

Maybe a day-old straight report by no less than the CBS station in the state capital would satisfy the laughingly predictable doubts:

"Assembly Democrats blasted for failing to move bill that would benefit Gold Star families

by Anne McCloyThursday, April 11th 2019
goldstarbill.PNG

A state lawmaker is fighting to revive a bill that was shot down in an assembly committee, and now Governor Cuomo is also jumping on board to help save it.

The bill would have waived SUNY and CUNY tuition for children in Gold Star families, students whose mom or dad died serving our country.

The bill failed as college funding for the children of undocumented immigrants just passed in the state budget.--CBS
TomG
TomG
  • Threads: 16
April 12th, 2019 at 5:22:20 PM permalink

The reason this isn't happening in America because here the only people who would want something like this are weak and trashy who can't do things for themselves and need the government to take care of them.
petroglyph
petroglyph
  • Threads: 19
April 12th, 2019 at 5:34:42 PM permalink
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery_in_the_21st_century

" The Walk Free Foundation reported in 2018 that slavery in advanced democratic nations is much more common than previously known, in particular the United States and Great Britain, which have 403,000 and 136,000 slaves respectively. Andrew Forrest, founder of the organization, said that "The United States is one of the most advanced countries in the world yet has more than 400,000 modern slaves working under forced labor conditions."[80]"
  • Jump to: