JoelDeze
JoelDeze
  • Threads: 43
August 9th, 2016 at 9:31:45 AM permalink
Odds on Tim Tebow making it in MLB?

Tebow trying to make it into the big leagues

I think it may be harder than playing football.
“Know where to find information and how to use it; that is the secret of success.” – Albert Einstein
billryan
billryan 
  • Threads: 52
August 9th, 2016 at 10:17:34 AM permalink
After his rather childish decision that he was only a QB cost him his NFL career, I doubt he'll be willing to toil in the minor leagues for a few years.
I've nothing against him, but he's turning into a bit of a joke. What's after this, a stint in the WWE?
Not there is anything wrong with that.
I'd wish him luck, but I honestly don't care. He should go into Youth Ministry. I think he'd excel at that.
It's what you do and not what you say If you're not part of the future then get out of the way
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
  • Threads: 12
August 9th, 2016 at 10:34:02 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

After his rather childish decision that he was only a QB cost him his NFL career, I doubt he'll be willing to toil in the minor leagues for a few years.
I've nothing against him, but he's turning into a bit of a joke. What's after this, a stint in the WWE?
Not there is anything wrong with that.
I'd wish him luck, but I honestly don't care. He should go into Youth Ministry. I think he'd excel at that.

He probably makes a mint giving talks and doing personal appearances. Almost anything that keeps his name in the news should prolong that.
DrawingDead
DrawingDead
  • Threads: 7
August 9th, 2016 at 10:25:00 PM permalink
So somebody help me out, since it seems the electro-infotainment world persistently requires that I pretend to have an opinion on him or it or whatever. Now I'm ready to surrender, and fake one. Or I might like to just borrow a spare one that's laying around handy. What is this Tebow entity supposedly famous for? About once or twice a year for several years I hear this name (in spite of my best efforts not to) in some context that vaguely insinuates that I'm just naturally supposed to know who he is and does or did. That's if I'm assuming it is supposed to be about doing something, rather than simply famous for being famous, like a Paris Hilton thing. It isn't a Paris Hilton thing, is it? I gather he played football somewhere at some point, which you can tell I pay about as much attention to as one might to the background mumbling of a "TwoFeathers." Did he DO something that's special to those who pay attention to football? From the link in the OP I guess it may have been done in Denver, if something was in fact done. Was it something that required significant athletic talent? And extremely persistent dedication?

Among the most promising young athletes seeking baseball careers, for the 0.05% of them persuing that life who are talented enough to be offered the opportunity to try in the minors, It can generally be expected to take three to five years of player development in the minor leagues for the minority who get to the major leagues. Three years is really fast for someone who is super good and more than five happens a lot. This involves eventually graduating from the Single-A or Rookie/Instructional League level with the Batavia Muckdogs or the Dayton Dragons or the Fort Wayne TinCaps or the Missoula Osprey or the Modesto Nuts. Then, if he works at it very hard and does really well there, maybe another year or so of improving his baseball-specific skills in AA after getting called up to somewhere like the Erie SeaWolves or the Pensacola Blue Wahoos. For a chance of making it in another year or two all the way up to the fabulous Lehigh Valley IronPigs or the Albuquerque Isotopes or the Omaha Storm Chasers in AAA ball, with a kinda sorta realistic chance of later eventually refining his baseball skill to the point of being one of the minority of that group finally "making" the big show, which is defined as having a single at-bat or pitch thrown with a MLB team in a regular season game (and not necessarily being good enough at it to ever stay there past a week from Tuesday when someone's broken thumb is good enough to come off the disabled list).

This fellow is accustomed to being famous and feeling important in some way? He may not be down for all that. I'll take the 'under' on what level or how long.
Last edited by: DrawingDead on Aug 9, 2016
Nevermind.
billryan
billryan 
  • Threads: 52
August 9th, 2016 at 11:28:45 PM permalink
I'm sure he'll put some fannies in the seats wherever he plays. His best bet would be signing with one of the independent leagues, like the Atlantic League. This way, if he is successful he can sign with any MLB club rather than sign with one now an d be stuck in only their system.
Hell, If I were 28 and could afford to work for nothing for a few months, I'd take a crack.
Better than having a real job.
It's what you do and not what you say If you're not part of the future then get out of the way
sabre
sabre
  • Threads: 1
August 10th, 2016 at 12:18:29 AM permalink
Quote: DrawingDead

Did he DO something that's special to those who pay attention to football?

Well, he won the Heisman Trophy. I suspect you don't know what that is, and I'm not really interested in educating you.

Your post was strange and annoying.
DrawingDead
DrawingDead
August 10th, 2016 at 2:08:43 AM permalink
Quote: sabre

Well, he won the Heisman Trophy. I suspect you don't know what that is, and I'm not really interested in educating you.

Yes, I'm aware of what that is, and why he might be followed more after his football days are done than others would be because of it, so thanks for the information in spite of your annoyance that you really wanted to let me know about.

I'm still not sure exactly why anytime I hear him mentioned there seems to me to be some implied expectation in the tone of the sports report snippets that the audience would feel strongly for or against him in some way, but maybe that's just something I've mistakenly read into it. After all, I can be strange at times.
Last edited by: DrawingDead on Aug 10, 2016
Nevermind.
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
  • Threads: 12
August 10th, 2016 at 2:47:40 AM permalink

Yes, I'm aware of what that is, and why he might be followed more after his football days are done than others would be because of it, so thanks for the information in spite of your annoyance that you really wanted to let me know about.

I'm still not sure exactly why anytime I hear him mentioned there seems to me to be some implied expectation in the tone of the sports report snippets that the audience would feel strongly for or against him in some way, but maybe that's just something I've mistakenly read into it. After all, I can be strange at times.

It's because he is very religious and somewhat vocal about it. He's even a virgin. (Gay). So, whichever side of the culture war you are on is supposed to determine what you think of him.
DrawingDead
DrawingDead
August 10th, 2016 at 3:00:22 AM permalink
Quote: Rigondeaux

It's because he is very religious and somewhat vocal about it. He's even a virgin. (Gay). So, whichever side of the culture war you are on is supposed to determine what you think of him.

Ah, that explains a lot. A lot that everyone on the continent but me was apparently supposed to already know. Must've been napping under my bowl game rock the week of that press conference. With that information, I still don't find myself wanting to enlist in any kind of rabid "for" or "against" club about him as an individual, but at least I'm a little less likely to put my foot in it out of ignorance on what "it" was. Thanks.

EDIT to add: An aside for the benefit of anyone who follows other sports but not this one: Baseball is really hard. It may not look hard. It doesn't necessarily take exceptional size or the exactly the same kind of obvious strength as some other professional sports. But it takes a whole lot of subtle skills that involve an enormous amount of repetitive work to eventually do well enough to get paid for it. Michael Jordan achieved a .202 batting average with the AA minor league Birmingham Barons. And under the circumstances of doing it late after exclusively doing something else, that really does amount to a real big impressive accomplishment to me. But it wouldn't get you close to a promotion to the Chicago White Sox if you are not Michael Jordan.
Last edited by: DrawingDead on Aug 10, 2016
Nevermind.
Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 21
August 10th, 2016 at 5:16:18 AM permalink

Michael Jordan achieved a .202 batting average with the AA minor league Birmingham Barons. And under the circumstances of doing it late after exclusively doing something else, that really does amount to a real big impressive accomplishment to me. But it wouldn't get you close to a promotion to the Chicago White Sox if you are not Michael Jordan.

I was going to say I expect Tebow to do about as well as MJ. If he signs with the Barons (or Shuckers, Biscuits, Lookouts, etc.), I might go out to see him play when his team comes to town. I expect those games would be sellouts.

BTW, DD, he did also win 2 National Championships (one as starting QB). But you already knew that! ;)
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"

• Jump to: