DrawingDead
DrawingDead
  • Threads: 7
August 10th, 2016 at 7:23:56 AM permalink
Quote: Joeman

...<SNIP>...

BTW, DD, he did also win 2 National Championships (one as starting QB). But you already knew that! ;)

Er, ya sure, right, of course I did. And I'm really Bo Jackson. Speaking of which, how might football people say they'd compare in general athletic ability, like the ability to potentially excel playing multiple positions on a football field? I'm thinking that could be a small clue to whether he might have the kind of raw tools that could be translated, if worked at enough to refine them for something so completely different.

I enjoy minor league ball and appreciate the scuffling & striving involved in it whether it is with or without "name" prospects. And if there's a promotional aspect involved, within reasonable bounds so I'm not being totally conned by an insulting stunt that pretends to be something else, then I'm nobody to be sneering at that too much either. I have one of those cheesey player bobblehead promotional giveaway things (Matt Holiday) that came with my ticket a few weeks ago in Missouri staring down at me from my filing cabinet right now. (He's kinda creepy up there; anybody want a small shakey-head Matt Holiday?)

But going from a Heisman & championships & something that sounds like it must've amounted to Biggest Dude On Campus Ever in front of roaring masses in a televised spectacle once a week down to starting over taking constant scruffy team bus rides from Biloxi to Montgomery to Chattanooga to Jacksonville to Mobile and round again week after week after week could require a big deflating emotional adjustment, no?
Nevermind.
standbymyman
standbymyman
  • Threads: 1
August 10th, 2016 at 8:29:23 AM permalink
200% at least
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 76
August 10th, 2016 at 12:14:02 PM permalink
I would join you on the under, DD. I don't think any team will put up with his God Squad arrogance long enough to develop him, let alone advance him. I don't even think he's out of football for lack of physical skills. It's
the head that's out of whack. Not a team player unless your name is Jesus.

I could be wrong. But he was a PITA at Florida. I doubt he's more fun to be around now.
"If the house lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game."
Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 21
August 10th, 2016 at 12:42:47 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

I would join you on the under, DD. I don't think any team will put up with his God Squad arrogance long enough to develop him, let alone advance him. I don't even think he's out of football for lack of physical skills. It's

I could be wrong. But he was a PITA at Florida. I doubt he's more fun to be around now.

I think you have it all wrong Babs. Tebow's intangibles are an asset, not a detriment. Case in point, look at the 2011 Broncos -- he took over as starter for the 1-4 team, and not only led them to the playoffs, but won their first playoff game! Do you think this was because of Tebow's passing ability? Have you seen him throw?

He was a PITA at UF? Maybe to opposing defenses. By all accounts, coaches and teammates loved him. Hell, they even made a permanent plaque of his "promise" and hung it in the stadium.

NFL teams don't want him because 1)Have you seen him throw? and 2)The inevitable media circus that will come with his signing.

However, I will agree with you that I think his chances of making an MLB roster are very slim. Like I said above, I'm guessing at best, he will hit near the Mendoza Line at AA and after some time, move on to the next thing.
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 65
August 10th, 2016 at 9:10:11 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

I'm sure he'll put some fannies in the seats wherever he plays. His best bet would be signing with one of the independent leagues, like the Atlantic League. This way, if he is successful he can sign with any MLB club rather than sign with one now an d be stuck in only their system.
Hell, If I were 28 and could afford to work for nothing for a few months, I'd take a crack.
Better than having a real job.

He already got an offer from an independent league team.

I agree with you that he would put butts in seats. In that respect it would be a decent publicity move for a major league team to give a minor league contract.

The guy is super fast and can throw hard. I'm sure with some training he would be a good outfielder. Whether he could throw on target to home plate...well, at least the catcher isn't running a route :p

Batting against MLB prospects, obviously, is the real skill that he likely won't be able to pick up this late in life. But I don't doubt he's a very hard worker and will give it his all.

My prediction: he gets a minor league deal and plays for a couple summers but never sniffs the majors. No one has proposed any odds, but I would lay 1/20 against that he never plays in the majors (i.e. never has a plate appearance or inning in the field). To say he never makes an appearance on an MLB roster would require slightly longer odds...a team could conceivably call him up as a publicity stunt and not play him.

I'm not interested in actually betting though.
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 210
August 11th, 2016 at 2:23:31 AM permalink
On one hand, Michael Jordan tried BB and failed within a year. OTOH Bo Jackson and Deion Sanders both crossed over. An old saying goes that if you can run fast enough they can teach you to hit and to field the ball, His QB skills might make him a possible for pitcher but then maybe not at his age. Unless he played some baseball at the college level, MLB will be tough.
Tolerance is the virtue of believing in nothing
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 210
August 11th, 2016 at 2:26:01 AM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

Why do I have the feeling that if this post were about Michael Sam and one replaced "Jesus" with "gay" you would be threatening a suspension for "hate talk?"
Tolerance is the virtue of believing in nothing
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 63
August 11th, 2016 at 6:09:07 AM permalink
Let's get back to the original question. What are the odds he makes a MLB roster?

Odds he makes an MLB roster before the end of the 2018 season?

Odds he makes an MLB roster before the end of the 2017 season?

Odds he makes an MLB roster this season?

I think he has a chance to actually do it.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 124
August 11th, 2016 at 7:46:52 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

Let's get back to the original question. What are the odds he makes a MLB roster?

Odds he makes an MLB roster before the end of the 2018 season?

Odds he makes an MLB roster before the end of the 2017 season?

Odds he makes an MLB roster this season?

I think he has a chance to actually do it.

Not good. Baseball is a very difficult sport to play and hitting is like a miracle at the major league level. If you can hit in the majors, it is just like a gift from God. The only thing going good for him is not having to worry about money and being able to focus on his goals. He can hit some pitches, but it will depend on whatever his weaknesses are and if he can strengthen them.

This year odds, 1000-1.
2017, 200-1.
2018, 100-1.
Looks like sh!t just got imaginary!
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 63
August 11th, 2016 at 8:16:22 AM permalink
Quote: onenickelmiracle

Not good. Baseball is a very difficult sport to play and hitting is like a miracle at the major league level. If you can hit in the majors, it is just like a gift from God. The only thing going good for him is not having to worry about money and being able to focus on his goals. He can hit some pitches, but it will depend on whatever his weaknesses are and if he can strengthen them.

This year odds, 1000-1.
2017, 200-1.
2018, 100-1.

I don't follow baseball closely but I think your odds are way off. I think it would be much lower.

• Jump to: