Thread Rating:

EdCollins
EdCollins
  • Threads: 20
March 25th, 2015 at 9:40:30 AM permalink
For the past ten moves or so, I was hoping my more active king could make his way to the queenside, and mop up his two queenside pawns, once our queens were exchanged. Upon review later, I shouldn't have done that at all. I should have stayed on the kingside, especially when I had the extra pawn. I don't have the game up in front of me, but as I recall, Kd5 was the move that threw away the win.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
March 25th, 2015 at 11:49:23 AM permalink
Quote: EdCollins

Kd5 was the move that threw away the win.

it was.

I was wondering if you foresaw that his King had position on you, what is that called? Where in u-move, i-move, one side or the other makes the other player's King move away from the best spot? But I couldn't recreate that.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
EdCollins
EdCollins
March 25th, 2015 at 12:05:21 PM permalink
I was in time pressure (It was move 39. We both needed to make 40 moves in 100 minutes.) but not severe enough that I couldn't spend a little bit if time to take a deeper look at it.

I look at the position now and it looks so obvious I can't believe I didn't play this position correctly. Everything else wins. 39.Ke5 wins. 39.b5 wins. 39.f4 wins. 39.f3 wins. 39.a4 wins. All of those moves still keep my advantage... except for the move I played. He will eventually be in Zugzwang.

I think I was still in the "mindset" of wanting to rush over to the queenside and when I finally had the opportunity to do so, I did.

It's positions like this that stick in your craw for days or even weeks afterwards, knowing how close you were to victory.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
March 25th, 2015 at 12:08:40 PM permalink
Zugzwang! that was the word I was looking for.

Thanks for sharing. A little tougher to do on the losses.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
EdCollins
EdCollins
April 6th, 2015 at 11:37:45 AM permalink
Not that anyone cares, but I performed a bit better at the Senior/Junior Open in Irvine, CA this past weekend.

I finished with two wins, two losses, and two draws. My two losses were against the two players who ended up tying for First Place.

I think I picked up a modest 10 rating points. After my dismal performance a couple of weeks ago, I'll take it!
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
April 6th, 2015 at 12:14:17 PM permalink

Not that anyone cares, but I performed a bit better at the Senior/Junior Open in Irvine, CA this past weekend.

I finished with two wins, two losses, and two draws. My two losses were against the two players who ended up tying for First Place.

I think I picked up a modest 10 rating points. After my dismal performance a couple of weeks ago, I'll take it!

I'll try to take a look a little later!
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
April 6th, 2015 at 7:30:03 PM permalink

I think some of us are more interested than you may know. In any case, congrats on the improved performance. Way to get back on the horse! heeheehee
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
  • Jump to: