Thread Rating:

lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 232
December 23rd, 2021 at 5:09:47 AM permalink

an interesting (to me anyway) observation on how people and corporations are reacting to our brave new tech world

so, a huge grocery chain near me - Giant Food - cordoned off 10 prime parking spots in front of my store for people who order online and pick up by just pulling in and notifying the store on their cell

since they've done this - I've been to this store at least 100 times

I've gotten to witness only about 5 or 6 pickups in several months - you can tell an online pickup because they use different bags

looks like Mrs. Jones doesn't want store employees choosing some nasty bananas and tomatoes_________________________________(-:\

Please don't feed the trolls
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
December 23rd, 2021 at 5:57:44 AM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

an interesting (to me anyway) observation on how people and corporations are reacting to our brave new tech world

so, a huge grocery chain near me - Giant Food - cordoned off 10 prime parking spots in front of my store for people who order online and pick up by just pulling in and notifying the store on their cell

since they've done this - I've been to this store at least 100 times

I've gotten to witness only about 5 or 6 pickups in several months - you can tell an online pickup because they use different bags

looks like Mrs. Jones doesn't want store employees choosing some nasty bananas and tomatoes_________________________________(-:\

link to original post

A little difference from my experience. I probably know five families that are doing the majority of their grocery shopping online. Some pick it up and others are having it delivered. The biggest complaint that I have heard is not the produce but the substitutions.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
December 23rd, 2021 at 6:41:57 AM permalink
10 spots seems excessive. That seems to be anticipating a peak of 90 pickups per hour.

The places I've seen it, the order pickup parking is subprime - often around the corner of the building.

It's probably fine if your order is fungible goods, like paper towels, canned soup, or boxes of pasta (assuming no substitutions, or acceptable substitutions).

There is probably an opportunity for standardization, along the lines of "We'll pack a box for you, and it will contain the following items this week..."
Let the store put together a fairly standard assortment based on sales/stock levels, offer a good price, let the order pickers optimize a bit, rather than running all over the store for every order, hunting for that particular variety and size of grape jelly.

I too have heard mixed reports. The convenience is generally good, the order accuracy is usually ok, but every once in a while something goes horribly wrong.
May the cards fall in your favor.
billryan
billryan 
  • Threads: 240
December 23rd, 2021 at 7:40:30 AM permalink
I used a company called Peapod when I lived in NY and they were great. On the occasional substitution, they always subbed upward.
If you ordered a generic frozen pizza and they were out, they'd give you a name brand for the same price.
My local supermarket does not do any sort of pre-ordering or delivery, even though their chain does.
The first time I used a service that shops for you and you pick up at curbside was ridiculously complicated. I'd placed my order on the computer for my local Smiths, selected the time I'd be there and drove over to get the order. I arrived and followed the signs to what looked like a receiving bay, isolated from everything else. Once there, a sign said to call this number and someone will bring out your order. The problem was I didn't have my phone with me. I banged on the door to no response, and then started to walk around the rather large building to the main entrance. When I got in, no one could help me and three people sent me to other people. It was a total cluster buck. Then when I finally found someone who could help me, I was not allowed to walk thru the store to use the employee door that was right by my car but told I had to again walk around the exterior of the store, in the Vegas heat.
When I got home, I reread the website and it said to arrive at the spot and employees will walk you thru the process. Nothing about needing to call them when you get to the location.
I'd think you would want this service upfront, where all can see it rather than sending people to an isolated backwater for their stuff.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
Thanked by
unJon
December 23rd, 2021 at 7:43:01 AM permalink
everybody makes mistakes

the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
December 24th, 2021 at 2:26:56 AM permalink
_________

very interesting - to me anyway - 432 hz tuning versus 440 hz tuning - re musical notes

virtually all of western music, classical, jazz, rock, pop, heavy metal, etc. uses 440 hz tuning as it became an informal standard in 1926 and was used in instrument manufacturing

440 hz serves as a tuning standard for the musical note of A above middle C

whenever this note or corresponding notes are played, in western music, this pitch of these notes will be the same regardless of the instrument - as long as the notes are in the same octave

a claim is out there that a different tuning, 432 hz provides health benefits

432 hz represents a different tuning - basically this means a typical western musical note such as A above middle C will have a slightly different pitch in 432 hz tuning - between A and A sharp and between A and A flat

music is being produced now using 432 hz tuning and some are making dubious claims about its health benefits - the linked article from N.I.H. gives tepid support for some of the claims

this type of music - no doubt all produced by computer is new age stuff - many will no doubt think it sucks - I like it quite a bit as background music and I do find it calming

Music Tuned to 440 Hz Versus 432 Hz and the Health Effects: A Double-blind Cross-over Pilot Study - PubMed (nih.gov)

rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
December 24th, 2021 at 7:03:33 AM permalink
I think that video is sponsored by Hypnotoad.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
billryan
billryan 
December 24th, 2021 at 7:04:08 AM permalink
Isn't that what "musak "was said to do? It was supposed to produce subtle sounds that influenced your mood and productivity as I remember.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
December 24th, 2021 at 7:29:10 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

Isn't that what "musak "was said to do? It was supposed to produce subtle sounds that influenced your mood and productivity as I remember.
link to original post

probably - but Muzak as I remember was a simple and sweet rendering of pop tunes - usually using lush strings - I don't really know whether it was actual musicians who produced it - I don't think so - to me it was really horrible

this music is not simple and it's not based on pop tunes

but again, I'm aware that lots will think it sucks - I don't listen to it intently like I would Miles Davis for example - just in the background when I'm reading

billryan
billryan 
December 24th, 2021 at 8:00:36 AM permalink
Muzak is and was much more than sweet renderings of pop music. It got disparaged as elevator music but really it was designed to change your mood without you realizing it.
rxwine
rxwine
December 24th, 2021 at 9:38:27 AM permalink
AFAIK, in the early days of Muzak, they would have had to use real musicians to record the initial pieces. I doubt it is economical to do that today, nor really necessary. for such a bland output.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
rxwine
rxwine
December 24th, 2021 at 9:42:56 AM permalink
My parents listened to a radio station that sounded like Muzak to me. I swear, no matter how gritty the tune, it could be turned into Muzak. Led Zepplin with soft flowing strings. Neither too loud nor too soft.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
December 24th, 2021 at 9:48:22 AM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Led Zepplin with soft flowing strings.
link to original post

Art and life take ideas from each other?
(Yeah, I know the intro is synth.)
rxwine
rxwine
December 24th, 2021 at 10:44:34 AM permalink
...but more subdued. Think of the sound of melted cheese flowing across velvet.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
December 24th, 2021 at 11:24:42 AM permalink

link to original post

Now you've got me thinking about a velvet painting of a waterfall.
A cheese waterfall.
With garlic knot boulders in the stream.
billryan
billryan 
December 24th, 2021 at 11:33:53 AM permalink
Quote: Dieter

link to original post

Now you've got me thinking about a velvet painting of a waterfall.
A cheese waterfall.
With garlic knot boulders in the stream.
link to original post

I'll have some of whatever the gentleman is imbibing.
DogHand
DogHand
  • Threads: 2
December 24th, 2021 at 12:03:11 PM permalink
Put me down for the garlic knots in melted cheese... Yum!

Dog Hand
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
December 24th, 2021 at 12:10:34 PM permalink

I'll have some of whatever the gentleman is imbibing.
link to original post

I find that Jeppson's Malört puts me in a festive mood for the holiday season.

This year I'm grabbing a bottle of 1792 for my stepfather in law. His wife usually calls me the next morning and screams at me for giving him another hangover for Christmas. His line is that it's his booze, and it's best enjoyed before it oxidizes.

I only drink about 6 days a year. This hasn't been one of them yet, and this evening holds little promise. I'm glad to not be hammering a fifth of seven crown during my morning commute to the office anymore.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
December 24th, 2021 at 1:04:23 PM permalink

this is my all time fave for soft, mellow music, and yes, I can flip my wig for hard rock too
urban legend had it for a long time that it was written by King Henry VIII for his love Anne Boleyn
King Henry was a musician and composer but it's probably not true
Julian Bream is one of greatest classical guitarists of all time
the beauty of this piece and how Bream plays it is overwhelming to me

billryan
billryan 
December 24th, 2021 at 1:13:20 PM permalink
I'm not familiar with the product and the website did nothing to make me want to try it. I'm glad you enjoy it but after trying both Chicago-style pizza and Chicago-style hot dogs, I suspect my NY bred tastes run differently than that of the Windy City residents.
The last hard liquor I had was some vanilla Jim Beam and I turned down a third glass.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
December 24th, 2021 at 3:35:53 PM permalink

I'm not familiar with the product and the website did nothing to make me want to try it.
link to original post

An unofficial slogan: "Malört: tonight's the night you fight your dad."

Tasting notes often mention kerosene, a smoldering tire fire, and pencil shavings.

"Malört" translates as "wormwood", not unlike "Chernobyl".

It's not for everybody.
billryan
billryan 
December 24th, 2021 at 4:02:04 PM permalink
Mr M. seems like someone I'd love to have working for me.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
December 25th, 2021 at 2:23:02 AM permalink
Quote: Dieter

I'm not familiar with the product and the website did nothing to make me want to try it.
link to original post

An unofficial slogan: "Malört: tonight's the night you fight your dad."

Tasting notes often mention kerosene, a smoldering tire fire, and pencil shavings.

"Malört" translates as "wormwood", not unlike "Chernobyl".

It's not for everybody.
link to original post

Wormwood as an ingredient? Supposedly when Absinthe was banned, the wormwood was considered to possibly be the root of the problem
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
December 25th, 2021 at 6:05:44 AM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

Wormwood as an ingredient? Supposedly when Absinthe was banned, the wormwood was considered to possibly be the root of the problem
link to original post

Many digestive liqueurs have seemingly bizarre ingredients.

There are people who drink Angostura, I'm sure purely to ease stomach discomfort.
rxwine
rxwine
December 26th, 2021 at 1:36:25 PM permalink
Works for Bite Squad.

Quote:

A Las Vegas man fleeing police in a stolen truck was eventually stopped, only for the officers to find coolers full of body parts, including a severed head, inside, according to cops.

Eric Holland was arrested Thursday after leading police on a chase when they tried to pull him over on unrelated charges, according to the police report from the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department released Sunday.

Just kidding on his job. It was Uber eats.

Kidding kidding.

Grub Hub.

j.k.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
December 27th, 2021 at 1:23:51 PM permalink
_________

prices at my grocery are way, way up - the things I normally buy anyway

I would say about 20% in a few weeks

the very strong inflationary trends are not really being reported

probably because of a lag time in when they can crunch the data

Last edited by: lilredrooster on Dec 27, 2021
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
Thanked by
Hunterhill
December 27th, 2021 at 2:44:21 PM permalink

_________

link to original post

In plenty of sectors the way it is traditionally measured the effect has been blunted and hidden by what is known as “shrinkflation.”

Happening all over the service industry, moderate price increase but you simply get less than what you’d expect or think you’re paying for, coated with covid related explanations if there is any explanation. Very rampant in hotel industry.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
December 28th, 2021 at 2:13:28 AM permalink
Quote: mcallister3200

_________

link to original post

In plenty of sectors the way it is traditionally measured the effect has been blunted and hidden by what is known as “shrinkflation.”

Happening all over the service industry, moderate price increase but you simply get less than what you’d expect or think you’re paying for, coated with covid related explanations if there is any explanation. Very rampant in hotel industry.
link to original post

I recently bought some Halls cough drops
when I opened the package I started laughing
they're now making the drops tiny - they're the size of a piece of candy you might give to a baby

rxwine
rxwine
December 28th, 2021 at 6:06:42 AM permalink

_________

link to original post

link to original post

they're now making the drops tiny - they're the size of a piece of candy you might give to a baby

link to original post

I was just curious what size "Certs" were, then found they were discontinued in 2018. "Two mints in one"
billryan
billryan 
December 28th, 2021 at 7:31:39 AM permalink

_________

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

The old size was clearly a choking hazard so they prudently shrank them down. The package is still the same size and that's what you bought- a package of Halls. Be glad they didn't pass the cost of the newly improved choke proofing on to you. They work their fingers off ,improving their product, and all they get for their efforts are consumer complaints.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
December 28th, 2021 at 11:36:45 PM permalink

CarShield - an extended car warranty business - is all over the airwaves now spending huge bucks on advertising - using TV and movie stars as spokespersons

I believe it's a Ripoff

I researched it - their average monthly charge for a 4 year old car is $119 - not sure if they charge more as the car gets older - I would guess they do

that works out to be just over $5,700 for 4 years - if there is no yearly increase

what is the chance you will spend almost $6K in car repairs in the 4 years when your car is between 4 and 8 years old?

really slim - it does also include roadside assistance but AAA offers that for just $75 per year

I also believe that reverse mortgages are probably a gigantic Ripoff - ripping off the elderly - but I can't show it with figures

paying an elderly person a monthly stipend - and then getting their house worth maybe $700K when they pass

what a crush for the company if the person dies within a couple or a few years

ChumpChange
ChumpChange
  • Threads: 113
December 29th, 2021 at 12:24:45 AM permalink
A company under contract to New Jersey acknowledged its technology had been compromised in a "systems intrusion" that has left multiple state agencies temporarily incapable of printing official documents, according to the New Jersey Office of Homeland Security and Preparedness.

The office announced the incident Tuesday, stating the vendor, R.R. Donnelly, has retained cyber forensic experts and contacted law enforcement to investigate the breach and said that no personal information was compromised as a result.

However, multiple departments in the state government remain unable to produce printed materials, including checks and motor vehicle documents, the office said.

Related:Who pays the ransom for NJ records taken by hackers? Taxpayers, and 'it's all preventable'

Officials from Homeland Security anticipate the issue will be resolved in "the coming days."
**********************************************************************************************************
In other news, T-Mobile had a massive data breach yesterday that was barely reported in the morning news with no updates. Customers are getting their phone numbers stolen and credit cards and social media logins are vulnerable. Angry customers will be expected to flood the cell phone stores trying to quit T-Mobile and signing up for Verizon or AT&T in the coming weeks.
billryan
billryan 
December 29th, 2021 at 8:01:37 AM permalink

CarShield - an extended car warranty business - is all over the airwaves now spending huge bucks on advertising - using TV and movie stars as spokespersons

I believe it's a Ripoff

I researched it - their average monthly charge for a 4 year old car is $119 - not sure if they charge more as the car gets older - I would guess they do

that works out to be just over $5,700 for 4 years - if there is no yearly increase

what is the chance you will spend almost $6K in car repairs in the 4 years when your car is between 4 and 8 years old?

really slim - it does also include roadside assistance but AAA offers that for just $75 per year

I also believe that reverse mortgages are probably a gigantic Ripoff - ripping off the elderly - but I can't show it with figures

paying an elderly person a monthly stipend - and then getting their house worth maybe $700K when they pass

what a crush for the company if the person dies within a couple or a few years

link to original post

That isn't how reverse mortgages work, for most people. I've dealt with two of them in recent years.
You can get monthly payments to you or a lump sum. When the person moves or dies, the estate can pay back the money, renegotiate the loan or give up the house.
Real-life example- my Aunts house was worth about $650,000 but her income was only about $32,000. She wanted a cushion so she took a reverse mortgage that paid her $1500 a month. When she died, the estate had a choice of giving the bank her house or paying back some $43,000 she borrowed plus all the fees that were associated with the loan, and they were substantial. I forget the details but there was a loan origination fee, a loan closing fee, a fee on the loan fees, and many more. Her getting the $43,000 may have ended up costing us $75,000. As luck would have it, the house increased in value roughly $40,000 from the time she took the loan. In both of the cases I worked with, there was enough money in the estate that we were able to pay the money back without selling the houses. I think we would have had two years from the deaths to settle the loans if w'd have had to sell it to pay back the money but that part I wouldn't swear to.
The only problem I have with reverse mortgages is they seem to charge extravagant fees for starting the loan- I thought the appraisal fees were a ripoff, and they add those fees into what is owed on the back end so you end up paying interest on them until they are settled. I think a second mortgage would have been cheaper and a better deal, but banks don't seem eager to give them or home equity loans to 85-year-olds with limited income. In my aunt's case, she was able to keep going out to lunches with her friends and keep up the charitable donations she felt so strongly about, and her heirs got a bit less money.

As far as Car Shield goes, I'm uncertain. I drive a 2016 Mazda. It's out of warranty and will soon hit 50,000 miles. I called them last year for a quote and was told it was about $130 a month. By the time I got off the phone, it was down to about $110 and I got a couple of postcards offering me 10% off.
What are the chances something like a transmission or timing belt will bust in the next five years? If the belt snaps while driving, it can ruin the engine completely. I'd guess a tranny for the car would be a couple of grand.
There are better warranty companies out there. Ones that don't need to recoup millions in television ads outlays.
I'd say it isn't a ripoff but it isn't a great deal either. Somewhere in between.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
December 29th, 2021 at 8:27:05 AM permalink

I've owned and driven several different cars in my life and only one time have I really needed very major work

transmission overhaul - and that car was 10 years old and had over 200,000 miles - I don't even think they would have backed it

my current car is 10 years old in '22 - and I haven't done one single major repair to it - I've only replaced stuff designed to wear out - tires and battieries

the other type of repairs I've needed on cars in my life were in the $1,000 range for the life of the car - never more than twice

and I keep cars for a long time and when I was working full time put a lot of miles on them

billryan
billryan 
December 29th, 2021 at 8:34:14 AM permalink
I've had two timing chains bust on me while driving. One was in a Chevy Chevette and it busted on the Florda turnpike at 65MPH. It needed a whole new engine. Luckily, it was a government car. The other was in my two-year-old volvo and it busted when I tried to start it. That was 1982ish and it cost over $1500. Volvo gave me a really hard time about getting reimbursed and it took months for them to cut a check.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
December 29th, 2021 at 8:37:06 AM permalink

I've had two timing chains bust on me while driving. One was in a Chevy Chevette and it busted on the Florda turnpike at 65MPH. It needed a whole new engine. Luckily, it was a government car. The other was in my two-year-old volvo and it busted when I tried to start it. That was 1982ish and it cost over $1500. Volvo gave me a really hard time about getting reimbursed and it took months for them to cut a check.
link to original post

you're talking about very old models - the cars manufactured today are much better

CarShield uses scare tactics to make sales - as if a car breaking down is a terrible tragedy - it most often isn't - now anyway - and the cost of the repairs necessary are usually nowhere near the figures they quote to try and scare you

billryan
billryan 
December 29th, 2021 at 8:49:59 AM permalink
For a person who needs their car to get to work or school, a broken-down car they can't afford to fix can be a tragedy. For someone with money and or good credit, it is an inconvenience. As in much of life, the ones who most need it are the ones who can least afford it.
While some CS commercials use scare tactics, they also had a humourous bunch of them featuring Rick Flair until Vice aired that report on Flair abusing that flight attendant.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
December 29th, 2021 at 9:50:11 AM permalink

link to original post

Do you mean your timing belt instead of chain? I had a timing belt go and bust up my engine at about 160k on a late 90’s model. My ignorance as they’re supposed to be replaced at 60-100k.

Most newer models have chains instead of belts, and ONE busting on someone much less two would be extraordinarily rare.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
December 29th, 2021 at 9:52:55 AM permalink

I've owned and driven several different cars in my life and only one time have I really needed very major work

transmission overhaul - and that car was 10 years old and had over 200,000 miles - I don't even think they would have backed it

my current car is 10 years old in '22 - and I haven't done one single major repair to it - I've only replaced stuff designed to wear out - tires and battieries

the other type of repairs I've needed on cars in my life were in the $1,000 range for the life of the car - never more than twice

and I keep cars for a long time and when I was working full time put a lot of miles on them

link to original post

You have been fortunate. Also, don’t buy a Ford Focus...
billryan
billryan 
December 29th, 2021 at 10:19:50 AM permalink

link to original post

Do you mean your timing belt instead of chain? I had a timing belt go and bust up my engine at about 160k on a late 90’s model. My ignorance as they’re supposed to be replaced at 60-100k.

Most newer models have chains instead of belts, and ONE busting on someone much less two would be extraordinarily rare.
link to original post

I've been driving since 1976 and used to drive some serious miles. The Chevette wasn't mine so I'm not sure if it was a chain or a belt. I'm pretty sure the Volvo was a chain but it was many years ago.
My Volvo was the first year they changed from 242 to DLs and GLs. I think my model was a DL, I know it was the cheaper of the two models and was a real lemon. It was in and out of Volvoville for nearly two years and my car was far from the only one. After a long time, Volvo sent out a service bulletin having to do with the PCV valve.. Whatever they did, the car ran fine for the next decade or so. It turned into a real workhorse for me.
I'm not sure if it had anything to do with it, but the morning my volvo's chain/belt broke, was one of the coldest days I've ever experienced in NY. I'd driven up to Nanuet for a HS football game only to have the game canceled as they felt it was unsafe.
Both of these incidents happened within a few years of each other.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
December 29th, 2021 at 12:21:29 PM permalink
My daily driver happens to be a 1982 Volvo 244 GLT (Turbo) that I have restored and maintained for many years.

I bought and owned a brand new top of the line 850 Turbo in 1996 but sold it in 2000 as I didn't care for front wheel drive; I then bought my 244 GLT.

Nobody in their right mind should consider driving an old Volvo regularly unless they know how to work on cars as something WILL go wrong; the good news is that the car has never left me stranded and I've always been able to effect a repair.

Parts are not too high priced and most are readily available; the cars will last a long time as the bodies are solid Swedish steel and the red block engines are understressed and like an anvil.

I also own and restored a 1996 Volvo 744 Turbo as a back up.

Owning and maintaining these cars is sort of a labor of love.
"What, me worry?"
billryan
billryan 
December 29th, 2021 at 12:57:58 PM permalink
I haven't worked on a car since I put a stereo in my Duster a couple of decades ago. My Mazda's engine doesn't look very user friendly.
billryan
billryan 
December 29th, 2021 at 1:09:35 PM permalink
With the major highway between northern Nevada and California closed because of the snow storm, and the Highway Patrol advising people to stay off the roads, hundreds of cars followed google directions to what google said was an alternative to the highways. Only problem is it is a seasonal road that actually has a locked gate on one end of it. As of this morning, hundreds of cars are stuck on it and both plows that Nevada sent to try and clear the road have gotten stuck as well.
It takes a special person to attempt to cross the mountains on a converted goat path when snow has closed the main roads.
rxwine
rxwine
December 29th, 2021 at 4:36:12 PM permalink

With the major highway between northern Nevada and California closed because of the snow storm, and the Highway Patrol advising people to stay off the roads, hundreds of cars followed google directions to what google said was an alternative to the highways. Only problem is it is a seasonal road that actually has a locked gate on one end of it. As of this morning, hundreds of cars are stuck on it and both plows that Nevada sent to try and clear the road have gotten stuck as well.
It takes a special person to attempt to cross the mountains on a converted goat path when snow has closed the main roads.
link to original post

I will never forget driving through the mountains in Colorado in the winter at night. I will never forget it, because I don’t ever want to experience that again.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
December 29th, 2021 at 4:38:01 PM permalink
This happened in '06 to the Kim family in Oregon.

They wanted to cross the coast range and missed the exit; they later looked at a map and saw a road through the mtns.

Alas, it was a seasonal road.

Got stuck in snow, dad died of exposure after leaving their Saab to walk out for help; mom and kids were found, alive.
"What, me worry?"
billryan
billryan 
December 29th, 2021 at 5:02:59 PM permalink
Quote: MrV

This happened in '06 to the Kim family in Oregon.

They wanted to cross the coast range and missed the exit; they later looked at a map and saw a road through the mtns.

Alas, it was a seasonal road.

Got stuck in snow, dad died of exposure after leaving their Saab to walk out for help; mom and kids were found, alive.
link to original post

Hopefully this turns out better.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
December 29th, 2021 at 6:31:46 PM permalink

link to original post

If the sign as you turn onto the road says something like "No trucks over 50 feet", that can be a useful indicator that the road is not meant for through travel by the casual motorist.
billryan
billryan 
December 29th, 2021 at 7:21:27 PM permalink
Around here we have back roads that state - Primative Road, Not Maintained or Patrolled. I've had my GPS send me to them.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
December 29th, 2021 at 7:36:09 PM permalink
Forest service roads can be an adventure, particularly with the lack of funding the forest service gets and the insistence of people to attempt to drive on them after rain. Others can be rarely graded gravel ones that are Russian roulette for a flat tire.

Some pretty spectacular areas of the West are quite an adventure to get to. The first 14’er I hiked, White Mountain, home to the oldest trees in the world, had a sign just after leaving the grove and heading up the mountain warning you something along the lines of “check your spare, no AAA service, average tow beyond this point 1,000.” The road up to Telescope Peak in Death Valley is similar once you get beyond the old charcoal ovens.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
December 30th, 2021 at 2:44:25 AM permalink

here comes____________________𝑻𝑯𝑬 𝑴𝑬𝑻𝑨𝑽𝑬𝑹𝑺𝑬

good luck with that______think I'm going to pass

• Jump to: