Thread Rating:

billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
August 24th, 2017 at 11:50:04 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Thought I saw someone talking about this somewhere, but not sure if another thread.

Retiring with a million. Pretty sure this is the frugal estimate, not big spender estimate.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/retirement/this-is-how-long-dollar1-million-will-last-in-retirement/ar-AAqsVcI?ocid=spartanntp

Ridiculous. Makes nutty assumptions and doesn't follow through. First thing- a couple retiring with a million dollars will get between 20-30K a year in Social Security.
Add $30,000 in interest or dividends and you are at $50,000 without touching your principle. That well more than the median income in the first five states, so your money should last at least 50 years.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
  • Threads: 30
Thanked by
RogerKint
August 25th, 2017 at 1:04:11 AM permalink
I just changed my own headlights. I even made my own tool for changing headlights. Thank you, you tube DIY videos.

Why pay a mechanic $30 for something I can do myself in only 9 hours?

Don't think I took more than $800 off the resale value either.

Quote: onenickelmiracle

I noticed some small holes in my yard where trees used to be. I'm saving my coffee grounds and dumping them in there. Looks like soil, but sandy texture. It's funny to think a beach made of coffee grounds, maybe it might even smell nice, but it probably wouldn't smell at all. The coffee grounds might kill the grass, but if it does, I'll just fill the whole yard with grounds. Haha not.

Just ate my first avocado. I think it pretty much is not that good. I was amazed by the pit though. It's so big and heavy, and smooth. Even bouncable like a ball, so cool. If we had these as kids, somebody wouldn't have an eye, somebody wouldn't be able to have children, and somebody would have a concussion.

Your first avocado from your own tree? Of the season?

Or are you saying you have never had an avocado before?

Does this include guacamole?

What are some other foods you have never had?

Grapes? Pasta? Chicken?
RogerKint
RogerKint
  • Threads: 15
Thanked by
Rigondeaux
August 25th, 2017 at 1:44:01 AM permalink
Quote: Rigondeaux

Why pay a mechanic $30 for something I can do myself in only 9 hours?

Don't think I took more than $800 off the resale value either.

LOL Headlights can be a pain. I've learned just to go the extra step of taking the tires and splash guard almost all the way off so it doesnt feel like constructing a ship in a bottle.
100% risk of ruin
petroglyph
petroglyph
  • Threads: 19
August 25th, 2017 at 2:17:04 AM permalink

Just ate my first avocado. I think it pretty much is not that good. I was amazed by the pit though.

You aren't supposed to eat the seeds.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
August 25th, 2017 at 3:17:55 AM permalink
Quote: petroglyph

You aren't supposed to eat the seeds.

Avacado seeds are extremely nutritious, but must be prepared carefully ... see oodles of youtube videos. Careful cutting avacados though.

coffee grounds supply tannic and elegic acids and will keep some insects at bay for awhile.

Toxic Vanilla ice cream denotes vanila icecream mixed with espresso grounds. Good stuff for the courageous amongst us. Try some bark of th white fir tree as a chaser.

Soon will be time for my rabinni, blue berry, smoothie.

Have a nice day.
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
August 25th, 2017 at 4:40:47 AM permalink
Quote: RogerKint

LOL Headlights can be a pain. I've learned just to go the extra step of taking the tires and splash guard almost all the way off so it doesnt feel like constructing a ship in a bottle.

Maybe 2 years ago I was at pep boys getting a flat repaired. Guy told me it won't be long because there is only 1 car in front of me and it was just and oil change and head light replacement. 90 minutes later and they were still trying to figure out how to replace it. I can't remember the car but it was either a Mercedes or audi. I found it commical but then annoyed. Took me 2.5 hours to get tire fixed.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
GWAE
GWAE
August 25th, 2017 at 4:42:33 AM permalink
I love mexican food but can not stand avocados or guac. Once a year or so I will try guac just to make sure but so far I find it disgusting. Between the texture and taste it is no good. It ranks right up there with gross hummus.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
Thanked by
RogerKint
August 25th, 2017 at 6:49:52 AM permalink
Quote: GWAE

can not stand avocados. It ranks right up there with gross hummus.

I usually find GWAE entertaining but some things cannot stand, like statues. Nuclear option?;)
RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
Thanked by
onenickelmiracleSOOPOO
August 25th, 2017 at 8:55:10 AM permalink

I love mexican food but can not stand avocados or guac. Once a year or so I will try guac just to make sure but so far I find it disgusting. Between the texture and taste it is no good. It ranks right up there with gross hummus.

Don't you live in like Pennsylvania or somewhere that probably has the worst Mexican food ever? I can just imagine GWAE at the drive thru at Taco Bell, wearing a sombrero, trying to speek Spanish while ordering "yo el wanto an authentico mehican tah-co". He puts some ketchup on his taco, takes a bite, then remembers ketchup is too spicy for him. :) :)

I like hummus but I can see why some wouldn't like it.
GWAE
GWAE
August 25th, 2017 at 1:39:31 PM permalink
Quote: RS

Don't you live in like Pennsylvania or somewhere that probably has the worst Mexican food ever? I can just imagine GWAE at the drive thru at Taco Bell, wearing a sombrero, trying to speek Spanish while ordering "yo el wanto an authentico mehican tah-co". He puts some ketchup on his taco, takes a bite, then remembers ketchup is too spicy for him. :) :)

I like hummus but I can see why some wouldn't like it.

Hahaha that is hilarious.

Yes we have taco bell. Yum, $5 cravings meal is perfect.

We did have a geat one called chi chi's many years back but some people died of salmonella or listeria or something so they closed. We had Don Pablos which was ok but they all closed recently as well.

Now all we have left is taco bell and a few local "authentic" ones left owned by local mexicans.

When we were at golden nugget we ate at Cadillac bar. I thought everything was really good.
Calder
Calder
  • Threads: 5
August 25th, 2017 at 3:09:53 PM permalink
Quote: MrV

If the nukes don't wipe em out, the snakes might.

Or the whole place may just flip over.

Hank Johnson
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 212
August 25th, 2017 at 7:25:05 PM permalink
backup singer
I am a robot.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
August 25th, 2017 at 7:25:08 PM permalink
backup singer
I am a robot.
RS
RS
Thanked by
RogerKint
August 30th, 2017 at 2:01:35 AM permalink
Dafaq? Where did mcallister's post go?

???????????????

Btw, interesting video I just unfortunately watched (somehow it came up after I watched a video on if Mayweather can read or not....?). I'm not opposed to listening to people's conspiracy theories and think it's ignorant and arrogant to at least not give them a chance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7lDq4dOlIk

For the most part, I don't like the presentation and it's got that typical style these types of videos usually have -- a mix of "we are anonymous" and "Bush did 9/11" types. Although one thing that mostly stuck out to me was the curvature of Earth and that you wouldn't be able to see stuff relatively close due to the curvature. That part starts around 8:35 (8m 35s) in the video. I did a google search and some other websites are showing the same or similar formula. Perhaps those are legitimate and that's all real....or those are other flat-Earth supporting websites that show the same formula. Too tired to work out the math to see if it's right or not.

Assuming what they're saying about curvature is true, my best guess (other than Earth being flat) is the height at which you are standing (your eyes) is going to shift that distance further away, since it seems most likely the formulas are based on vision being from the ground and not 5-6 feet above ground.

#FreeBoz
RogerKint
RogerKint
  • Threads: 15
August 30th, 2017 at 3:02:42 AM permalink
Trueman Show
100% risk of ruin
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
August 30th, 2017 at 3:12:05 AM permalink
The flat earth video is effectively countering the "I [effing] Love Science" folks by using the F-bomb constantly.

I doubt if the guy believes this stuff, but he knows he will convince some people who watch the video and gets a kick out of that.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
August 30th, 2017 at 3:33:46 AM permalink
McAllister asked for his post to be deleted and I assume Mission deleted it when he was active here. McAllister must have been sleep walking, I haven't seen anything that has changed regarding posting new threads.
I am a robot.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
August 30th, 2017 at 3:41:36 AM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

The flat earth video is effectively countering the "I [effing] Love Science" folks by using the F-bomb constantly.

I doubt if the guy believes this stuff, but he knows he will convince some people who watch the video and gets a kick out of that.

I believe the earth could be flat, but just because the universe might be an illusion as a hologram, 2d. Could be a simulation, most likely a simulation from a base reality with no beginning and no end, and no laws of the universe. A universe with laws cannot create a universe without laws, because in a universe with laws, the unthinkable cannot be imagined, and in a universe without laws, nothing is unthinkable.

I think this might be why Pi is nonrepeating, because of some copy of a copy error.
I am a robot.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
August 30th, 2017 at 8:54:08 AM permalink

I believe the earth could be flat, but just because the universe might be an illusion as a hologram, 2d. Could be a simulation, most likely a simulation from a base reality with no beginning and no end, and no laws of the universe. A universe with laws cannot create a universe without laws, because in a universe with laws, the unthinkable cannot be imagined, and in a universe without laws, nothing is unthinkable.

You're not the first one to think this: succinct theory of reality .

Personally, I always the notion of Plato's cave was pretty clever, but really it's all Greek to me.
"What, me worry?"
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
August 30th, 2017 at 10:54:38 AM permalink

it's got that typical style these types of videos usually have -- a mix of "we are anonymous" and "Bush did 9/11" types.

Anonymous? You mean the guy who stood between two shotgun toting cops and the Navy diver they were about to shoot at in San Diego harbor?

9/11 was The State of Israel, the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and Potus.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
August 30th, 2017 at 12:14:49 PM permalink

You're not the first one to think this: succinct theory of reality .

Personally, I always the notion of Plato's cave was pretty clever, but really it's all Greek to me.

That's funny the video, you fooled me. There isn't much point to thinking about reality, because it's all we have. Maybe someday there will be a use, but for now just something to remember.
I am a robot.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
August 31st, 2017 at 2:53:40 AM permalink
Tell you what I love, mangoes. They're related to cashews and poison ivy. Like the cashew tree, they can live hundreds of years and grow over 100 feet, amazing. Some people can get a rash from touching them. They're never ripe in the store, they need to be yellow, not red. Just so delicious, funny thing even though they taste so good, I've found they don't always taste the same, sometimes sweet like sweetened condensed milk and sometimes very tangy like an orange. The stone is so unique, reminds me of a clam shell, because they have that shape and the fibers attached remind me of algae which sometimes covers fresh water clams.
I am a robot.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
August 31st, 2017 at 4:24:22 AM permalink
Its not just the alpha and beta carotenoids (pro vitamin A) compounds but their antioxidant roles too. Mango juice is best in that cell structure is already broken down and the carotenoids are bioavailable. Mangoes and papaya are most nutritious when cell structure is broken down and fats are available to release the carotenoids from the chloro=whatever that binds them.
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
  • Threads: 30
August 31st, 2017 at 2:01:07 PM permalink
What's with all these idiots backing into parking spots nowadays? Not parallel, regular spots.

Do they think it proves they are really good drivers or something?

Yes I'm very impressed sitting there stuck in the aisle, waiting for you to complete your 11 point turn to back into a spot, instead of just doing it regular non- idiot style.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
August 31st, 2017 at 2:12:17 PM permalink

What's with all these idiots backing into parking spots nowadays? Not parallel, regular spots.

Yes I'm very impressed sitting there stuck in the aisle, waiting for you to complete your 11 point turn to back into a spot, instead of just doing it regular non- idiot style.

New trend. Mandated some places. Seems absurd to me.
Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 36
August 31st, 2017 at 2:24:25 PM permalink

I always thought it was to set up for a quick getaway -- like at church or a ball game -- where everyone lets out all at once. Doesn't make much sense at, say, Walmart.

Quote:

Just pull up to his bumper when he goes past the spot to set up his turn. "Sorry, I thought you had given up on that spot." ;)
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
August 31st, 2017 at 2:54:27 PM permalink
Quote: Joeman

I always thought it was to set up for a quick getaway -- like at church or a ball game -- where everyone lets out all at once. Doesn't make much sense at, say, Walmart.

The local Wal*Mart for me is absolutely ridiculous. I can say without hyperbole that there is either a hit and run or some other accident in that parking lot at least once every two days.

In addition to having everything be one-way (as if you can even see the arrows that well) the whole entire thing is angle parking with two rows (one for each way one is going). It's like they deliberately made it as difficult as possible to park there and navigate the parking lot. I have no idea how they became America's largest anything.

The spots are also extremely narrow, so even if you are going the right way, it's nearly impossible to negotiate your way into one given the angle parking.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
Johnzimbo
Johnzimbo
  • Threads: 4
August 31st, 2017 at 3:12:05 PM permalink
I back in to parking spaces...solely to piss Rigondeaux off :)
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
  • Threads: 57
August 31st, 2017 at 4:13:16 PM permalink

Pickup trucks do this 200% of the time
GWAE
GWAE
Thanked by
onenickelmiracle
August 31st, 2017 at 4:23:25 PM permalink
It is much safer to back into a spot instead of backing out if one. When you pull up to the spot you are fully aware of your surroundings. When you back out, you are usually not well aware. This is commercial driving 101
petroglyph
petroglyph
  • Threads: 19
August 31st, 2017 at 6:04:47 PM permalink

I don't think splaining it to you is going to help
RS
RS
August 31st, 2017 at 6:20:32 PM permalink
In high school I frequently backed into spaces, otherwise it'd be very difficult to get out.

I still prefer to back into spaces, although I won't do it if I'm lazy or it's a difficult space to maneuver into (like the slanted parking spaces, I think Mission mentioned above?). Plus it's safer and easier (when you include leaving the space).

I also always use the parking break whether I'm in an automatic or manual car....turns out this triggers more people than you'd expect (this isn't aimed at anyone in particular since I know several people who get mad over this for some reason).
MaxPen
MaxPen
  • Threads: 13
August 31st, 2017 at 6:21:39 PM permalink
I predominantly drive a rather large pickup. It is often easier for me to back in than pull into a space. For the record, I am an awful driver.😊
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
August 31st, 2017 at 7:40:32 PM permalink
Safer, perhaps, but still a violation of traffic code.

A meter maid will give you a parking ticket if you back into a curbside angled space as opposed to pulling in head first.

It happened to me.

Does not compute.
"What, me worry?"
RS
RS
August 31st, 2017 at 8:10:29 PM permalink

Safer, perhaps, but still a violation of traffic code.

A meter maid will give you a parking ticket if you back into a curbside angled space as opposed to pulling in head first.

It happened to me.

Does not compute.

Backing into an angled space (curb side) would be more dangerous both going into the spot as well as leaving the spot, assuming there is some amount of traffic...which there usually is in an area with angled curb side parking.
Mission146
Mission146
August 31st, 2017 at 8:38:27 PM permalink

It is much safer to back into a spot instead of backing out if one. When you pull up to the spot you are fully aware of your surroundings. When you back out, you are usually not well aware. This is commercial driving 101

That's true, but I usually try to both pull in and out facing forwards, even if it means taking a spot towards the back of a lot. Naturally, one way and angled lots often prevent a person from doing even that. To me, the safest thing to do is go both in and out forward.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
billryan
billryan
August 31st, 2017 at 9:38:13 PM permalink
For years, my vehicles of choice were Dodge Ram vans and it is much safer to back into a spot than to pull in head first.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
MaxPen
MaxPen
  • Threads: 13
Thanked by
Mooseton
August 31st, 2017 at 11:23:47 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

For years, my vehicles of choice were Dodge Ram vans and it is much safer to back into a spot than to pull in head first.

With or without Windows?🤔
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
August 31st, 2017 at 11:38:31 PM permalink
Can you beat someone in a pigskin picks contest if they get 5 picks and you get a maximum of 4 picks? Assuming skill level is equal. The contest doesn't even say each set of picks is separate and noncumulative, but I'm betting they have to be. It's such a huge disadvantage, and it adds up for 17 weeks. How it works, everyone gets 1 entry, Exec Producers and Icons get two additional free, then you can get up to three extra picks for 100 points each. However, these top two tiers can get a total of 5 max, everyone else gets a total of 4 max. The points have to be earned Tuesday-Thursday and you can only enter picks Tuesday-Thursday, so points earned on the weekends dont count. I can understand spotting free entries, but rigging it so it's a disadvantage, that seems wrong.
I am a robot.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
August 31st, 2017 at 11:42:03 PM permalink
Can you beat someone in a pigskin picks contest if they get 5 picks and you get a maximum of 4 picks? Assuming skill level is equal. The contest doesn't even say each set of picks is separate and noncumulative, but I'm betting they have to be. It's such a huge disadvantage, and it adds up for 17 weeks. How it works, everyone gets 1 entry, Exec Producers and Icons get two additional free, then you can get up to three extra picks for 100 points each. However, these top two tiers can get a total of 5 max, everyone else gets a total of 4 max. The points have to be earned Tuesday-Thursday and you can only enter picks Tuesday-Thursday, so points earned on the weekends dont count. I can understand spotting free entries, but rigging it so it's a disadvantage, that seems wrong. The Ohio lottery rubber stamps everything, I'm not even sure if this is legal.

http://www.hollywoodmahoningvalley.com/promotions/choose-the-champs
I am a robot.
billryan
billryan
August 31st, 2017 at 11:59:44 PM permalink
Can anyone recommend a good supermarket pizza crust? I'd never tried to make them with a store bought crust, but recently tried two brands. Wasn't impressed.
I imagine they are healthier and cheaper than frozen ones.
billryan
billryan
September 1st, 2017 at 12:04:05 AM permalink
Quote: MaxPen

With or without Windows?🤔

Windows, of course. Just because I look like a barbarian doesn't mean I ain't posh.
Loved my 150s. Had a 350 for awhile for work, but it was too big.

Not mine, but it's clone
https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=6Te4%2fjaQ&id=D7F50962B6635BF2D1FDCE94744EF7EBC18C2DF6&thid=OIP.6Te4_jaQLWccUrmjHloRuwEsDH&q=1987+dodge+150+ram+van&simid=608028999868481739&selectedIndex=16&ajaxhist=0

A close replica of my second one. Same Window screen and similar wheels. Different paint
https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=dv%2BqpG9a&id=7553F509F7B5507C652D293E87D946296F26F99F&thid=OIP.dv-qpG9aeaOQHJlkMn_LXgEsDg&q=1987+dodge+150+ram+van&simid=607990302215898064&selectedindex=24&ajaxhist=0&first=1
Mission146
Mission146
September 1st, 2017 at 6:45:20 AM permalink

Can you beat someone in a pigskin picks contest if they get 5 picks and you get a maximum of 4 picks? Assuming skill level is equal. The contest doesn't even say each set of picks is separate and noncumulative, but I'm betting they have to be. It's such a huge disadvantage, and it adds up for 17 weeks. How it works, everyone gets 1 entry, Exec Producers and Icons get two additional free, then you can get up to three extra picks for 100 points each. However, these top two tiers can get a total of 5 max, everyone else gets a total of 4 max. The points have to be earned Tuesday-Thursday and you can only enter picks Tuesday-Thursday, so points earned on the weekends dont count. I can understand spotting free entries, but rigging it so it's a disadvantage, that seems wrong. The Ohio lottery rubber stamps everything, I'm not even sure if this is legal.

http://www.hollywoodmahoningvalley.com/promotions/choose-the-champs

I'm making this a thread.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 213
September 1st, 2017 at 8:27:18 AM permalink

That's how I got my fender smashed down on by a truck. It was backing in and the end of it was elevated enough to go slightly over mine. I was in the opposing space.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 213
September 5th, 2017 at 5:14:51 PM permalink
Whereas most of my neighbors consider these a nuisance.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
RS
RS
September 5th, 2017 at 6:39:51 PM permalink

Holy shoot, that's awesome. There's a forum for squirrels?! I don't know anything about them, although I used to trap them when camping. I did it for sport, not the meat. Always catch and release.

People own squirrels as pets? That's pretty cool IMO. I want one.
boymimbo
boymimbo
September 5th, 2017 at 10:51:10 PM permalink

Holy shoot, that's awesome. There's a forum for squirrels?! I don't know anything about them, although I used to trap them when camping. I did it for sport, not the meat. Always catch and release.

People own squirrels as pets? That's pretty cool IMO. I want one.

Squirrels are a ton of care, and they should be obtained as babies only.
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
boymimbo
boymimbo
September 5th, 2017 at 11:07:54 PM permalink
Hurricane Irma is taking a direct hit at Barbuda (which is in the Caribbean). Wind speed on the island as of 1 hour ago was a sustained wind of 118 mph gusting to 150 mph and a barometric pressure of 27.20 inches and falling. That NOAA weather station has since given up. Next stop for Irma is Anguilla and Barthelemy.

On Barthelemy wind speeds are at 50mph currently.
Anguilla / St. Martin at 30mph gusting to 52mph.

Followed by the British Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico (should be a glancing blow), Dominican Republic / Haiti (hopefully not too close), but that means that Turks and Caicos and the Bahamas get a direct hit, and landfall somewhere along the Florida Keys.

This one's spectacular and there's no reason for it to weaken.
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
September 6th, 2017 at 12:07:22 AM permalink
Barbuda had wind readings up to 185mph. We were pretty worried in FL easy coast this morning, but the track seems to have swung south.

God help whoever is in the path, whether it's us or not.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
  • Jump to: