Thread Rating:

HeySlick
HeySlick
  • Threads: 3
March 12th, 2016 at 7:15:11 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Yeah, well, people have been carted away under all Presidents when they got out of hand. While it may look okay to some, Trump looks more like a strongman than a democratic leader.

EDIT - and I don't mean "strongman' in a good way. I mean a person who crushes dissent. through use of the power given him by the people which he eventually abuses for his own ends.

FYI Definition of strongman

'a politician or leader who uses violence or threats' -- Donald Trump is neither, he's a Businessman. Also on the positive side of that term: Donald is strong in ways any circus strongman would ever understand,
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 213
March 12th, 2016 at 7:56:57 PM permalink
Quote: HeySlick

Donald Trump is neither, he's a Businessman.

All I know is he got 1 million loan and possibly a good share of a 200 million inheritance and got richer.

Should I be impressed with a start like that? I'm not.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
March 12th, 2016 at 7:59:32 PM permalink

All I know is he got 1 million loan and possibly a good share of a 200 million inheritance and got richer.

Should I be impressed with a start like that? I'm not.

Yep, and if he was Joe Schmoe working in a factory making $18.00 an hour, that gold digger wouldn't be with him either.
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
March 12th, 2016 at 8:16:34 PM permalink

FYI Definition of strongman

'a politician or leader who uses violence or threats' -- Donald Trump is neither, he's a Businessman. Also on the positive side of that term: Donald is strong in ways any circus strongman would ever understand,

One of the real strengths of the US is that dissenting voices get heard, and answered....except under Trump leadership. He calls them names and has them thrown out, suggests they should be beaten or have other consequences, just for disagreeing with him. He does not answer their questions, counter their arguments, or even listen; he just shuts them up. So quoting Larry Flynt is disingenuous; he was heard in a hostile environment, which is more than Trump would allow. If you don't get the difference (and I can tell you don't), you don't understand the attack on the First Amendment Trump makes every day of his candidacy. Or why so many of us object to him for it.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
Mooseton
Mooseton
  • Threads: 14
March 12th, 2016 at 9:12:30 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

One of the real strengths of the US is that dissenting voices get heard, and answered....except under Trump leadership. He calls them names and has them thrown out, suggests they should be beaten or have other consequences, just for disagreeing with him. He does not answer their questions, counter their arguments, or even listen; he just shuts them up. So quoting Larry Flynt is disingenuous; he was heard in a hostile environment, which is more than Trump would allow. If you don't get the difference (and I can tell you don't), you don't understand the attack on the First Amendment Trump makes every day of his candidacy. Or why so many of us object to him for it.

Why would you think the protesters at any candidate's rally deserve to be heard? His rally, his turn to speak (Do you disagree?). Dissenting voices can be heard in many other ways (town hall style events for instance). Many times it isn't What you say but How you say it. These protesters must be fools if they actually think they're going to be heard on his stage at his rally during his turn to speak to his supporters.
$1700, 18, 19, 1920, 40, 60,... :/ Thx 'Do it again'. I'll try
SanchoPanza
SanchoPanza
  • Threads: 34
March 12th, 2016 at 10:08:26 PM permalink
Quote: Mooseton

Why would you think the protesters at any candidate's rally deserve to be heard? His rally, his turn to speak (Do you disagree?). Dissenting voices can be heard in many other ways (town hall style events for instance). Many times it isn't What you say but How you say it. These protesters must be fools if they actually think they're going to be heard on his stage at his rally during his turn to speak to his supporters.

Just substitute Clinton or Sanders for Trump and consider what the incredible reactions would be.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 213
March 12th, 2016 at 10:25:17 PM permalink
Quote: Mooseton

Well, Bernie did let the BLM protestors speak. (twice I think). But I think the point is, how does Trump differ from the protestors when he makes comments like he wants to see them on a stretcher or punch them? He's suppose to be a leader, and his comments seem to rile up the crowd, so not surprised if it escalates violence.

Unless people think politics is escalating violence -- hey we can try it. When you disagree, just send in goons to beat the opposition's head in.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
March 12th, 2016 at 10:30:17 PM permalink
To the contrary, many politicians hear and respond to protesters. Obama and McCain both did, many times; Bernie and Hillary both have, others as well.

Protesters can bring opportunities, both to answer questions for doubters and detractors, and to demonstrate the ability to respond to criticism, make good counter-arguments, respond extemporaneously, deal with conflict as it happens, other things leaders need to do to be effective.

I don't know of any rally that only contains supporters; many people attend who have questions or haven't made up their minds. They can be impressed or repulsed by what happens, what gets said, how people are treated. In Trump's case, it's being reported that he's losing supporters over his attitudes and treatment of protesters, even as the protests seem to be escalating.
Mooseton
Mooseton
March 13th, 2016 at 1:53:41 AM permalink

Well, Bernie did let the BLM protestors speak. (twice I think).

Made him look very weak, to put it mildly.

But I think the point is, how does Trump differ from the protestors when he makes comments like he wants to see them on a stretcher or punch them? He's suppose to be a leader, and his comments seem to rile up the crowd, so not surprised if it escalates violence.

So you don't think these people deserve a punch in the face(I can only assume)? Fair enough.

Unless people think politics is escalating violence -- hey we can try it. When you disagree, just send in goons to beat the opposition's head in.

Not typically. Sadly, our polarizing president has put many people in this position. Lefties went FAR LEFT. Righties, FAR RIGHT. Some Nobel winner, huh? Way to unite us, Mr. Change.

Face's coup looks closer to becoming a reality by the minute.
Mooseton
Mooseton
March 13th, 2016 at 3:32:23 AM permalink

To the contrary, many politicians hear and respond to protesters. Obama and McCain both did, many times; Bernie and Hillary both have, others as well.

Any other democrats you want to name? ;)

Protesters can bring opportunities, both to answer questions for doubters and detractors, and to demonstrate the ability to respond to criticism, make good counter-arguments, respond extemporaneously, deal with conflict as it happens, other things leaders need to do to be effective.

I assume you also don't agree that these protesters deserve a punch in the face? Everyone has different lines for what deserves violence or not. I find Trumps approach refreshingly honest compared to every other pol with no cajones. Honesty, genuineness, and being forthcoming go a long way in my book. (Somewhat off topic: Hillary has none of those traits.)

I don't know of any rally that only contains supporters; many people attend who have questions or haven't made up their minds. They can be impressed or repulsed by what happens, what gets said, how people are treated.

Well now you know one. These are very divisive times, thanks to Mr. Change.

In Trump's case, it's being reported that he's losing supporters over his attitudes and treatment of protesters, even as the protests seem to be escalating.

Link please. And again, very refreshing for someone telling the truth about how he feels instead of the standard PC approach.
Boz
Boz
  • Threads: 155
March 13th, 2016 at 4:34:49 AM permalink
Obama has to accept some of the blame with his attitude from day 1 when he told the GOP in his first meeting "Elections have consequences". He made it clear they would accept his plans or get out of the way.

And the GOP lied to their base by promising things they were not willing to do. For me, the failure to keep the government closed locked my wallet from donating to any of them again.

Without Trump, I would have stayed home this year, which I know only helps Hillary, but the candidate they would have put out there would not have been much different in the end.

But why does my opinion even matter because according to Michael BlueJay, I'm an idiot who cannot spell 3 letter words, not worthy of debate.
RonC
RonC
  • Threads: 40
March 13th, 2016 at 5:59:36 AM permalink
Quote: Boz

But why does my opinion even matter because according to Michael BlueJay, I'm an idiot who cannot spell 3 letter words, not worthy of debate.

You obviously are not an idiot, but let's play that game for a minute just to point out how ridiculous it is to assume someone's opinion counts less overall just because they are not an educated elite. There is this little thing called a "vote" that every citizen who can legally vote gets; the same "vote" as those who claim superiority. That means, that to be President, one has to get the votes of a wide variety of people with differing levels of comprehension of the various issues. Trump is appealing to a lot of the same types (intellectually) as Obama did--and that is what won Obama the election.

Does anyone with half a brain really think that Obama ever said that he was going to make it so people did not have to pay their mortgages, pay for their cars, or anything else? Of course not. He did promise a lot, but what some people heard (not what he actually said) was that he was going to solve all of there problems.

Though they may be different in skin color (or not), Trump is appealing to that same type of people--the ones that really do think that he can change everything just because he says that he can. Some real idiots are branding him a "Nazi" and other things when he is really just showing some of the same abilities that Obama did to bring people to his side. It was great in 2008; now it is horrible. Really, it is just an election campaign and he is winning (in spite of me not wanting him to do so).

He's also getting the support of a lot of smart people all over the place. People that feel that the whole government is failing us and that Washington is filled with a class of people--on both sides of the aisle--who just exist to get elected over and over without really making anything better and unable to do the hard work of getting things done. We've spent 50 years or so in a "War on Poverty" and yet we still use the same tired old solutions to try and solve it. We've tried amnesty and other ideas on immigration, yet we are flooded with even more lower class people who burden our support system. At some point, a lot of people get fed up with voting for the same old thing each cycle.

Trump has "it"; the others in the race less so. I'm not happy about it but I also don't want the establishment to keep going the same way. The fact that I don't like him does not make him a "Nazi". The fact that he does not want his rallies interrupted is fine with me--people are there to see him, not to hear from the other side. If they wanted to hear from them, they would be at their rallies. The idiots disrupting his rallies are giving him even more free TV time at no cost. Trump--like Obama--is running a race to win. If someone wants to stop him, they need to do the same.

I am supporting Ted Cruz. Not because I think he is a perfect candidate, but because he is better than the rest in my opinion. The fact that the other Senators don't like him is fine with me. They are the country club politicians I don't like anyway. People like Bill Nelson, D-FL, who was running for office 40 years ago when I was a Boy Scout and has been in some office or the other ever since...and who managed to get a ride on the space shuttle just because he wanted to ride. People like Lindsey Graham, R-SC, who the hell even cares about him? He flips and flops all over the place.
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 89
March 13th, 2016 at 6:02:49 AM permalink

Obama has to accept some of the blame with his attitude from day 1 when he told the GOP in his first meeting "Elections have consequences". He made it clear they would accept his plans or get out of the way.

Of course elections have consequences, regardless if its Obama or Trump. It applies to both.
Its common sense
I have to imagine if Trump is elected, we have to deal with the consequences

Without Trump, I would have stayed home this year, which I know only helps Hillary, but the candidate they would have put out there would not have been much different in the end..

I agree. whatever cookie cutter Dem or Rep becomes President, my life will not change.
Now with Trump
If he becomes President, all bets off
45% tariff on imported goods.
Boottom line, I am pro business because I am pro jobs.
I like working hard
45% tariff will kill the economy
Its an absurd anti-business policy
Last edited by: terapined on Mar 13, 2016
Its just a forum. Nothing here to get obsessed about.
RonC
RonC
March 13th, 2016 at 7:45:44 AM permalink
Quote: terapined

Now with Trump
If he becomes President, all bets off
45% tariff on imported goods.
Boottom line, I am pro business because I am pro jobs.
I like working hard
45% tariff will kill the economy
Its an absurd anti-business policy

Trump uses absurd statements to get attention but his position, as outlined on his website, is not nearly as sever as one would think. I don't see anything on the page about a "45%" tariff (though I am sure he said it). I don't think everyone will agree but this sounds reasonable:

"Reclaim millions of American jobs and reviving American manufacturing by putting an end to China’s illegal export subsidies and lax labor and environmental standards. No more sweatshops or pollution havens stealing jobs from American workers."

https://www.donaldjtrump.com/positions/us-china-trade-reform

He is a businessman and he starts on a hard line. I don't know how will he will compromise, but most business deals have compromise in them. He isn't a politician but he is not all that much different than the other ones that promise us the world; they all do that!!

Anyway, I am less scared of him than I was of Obama. I wanted neither one, but we'll be okay!!
Wizardofnothing
Wizardofnothing
  • Threads: 121
March 13th, 2016 at 7:46:00 AM permalink
I'm for anyone with smaller government, Obama has been an absolute disaster!!!!! Not sure why people are for large government and handouts. There are jobs out there , most don't really want to work. My cousin runs a small business employing 29 people and has Ben trying to hire 5 more for over 11 months and cannot even find someone.
No longer hiring, don’t ask because I won’t hire you either
RonC
RonC
March 13th, 2016 at 7:51:06 AM permalink
Quote: Wizardofnothing

I'm for anyone with smaller government, Obama has been an absolute disaster!!!!! Not sure why people are for large government and handouts. There are jobs out there , most don't really want to work. My cousin runs a small business employing 29 people and has Ben trying to hire 5 more for over 11 months and cannot even find someone.

We hired the son of an employee a couple of years ago. He had no degree and no clue. He somehow thought he was qualified for a "management" position and should be higher in the company than he was. The work he was hired to do was not hard, It was not physical, but it needed done. He sat around and didn't do it long enough that the owner fired him, even though the kid's dad is the owner's best friend.

SOME of the younger ones today totally don't understand what work is and I wonder if people my age caused it by coddling them as we tried to make them have a "better life" than we did as kids. I was born into a poor family and didn't even know it. This coddling makes them not want to do the hard work it takes to be successful; some think it should be handed to them...
Last edited by: RonC on Mar 13, 2016
Wizardofnothing
Wizardofnothing
March 13th, 2016 at 7:56:50 AM permalink
It's funny because both as an ap and in previous career I have had the opportunity to bring someone along and for a little effort they could have trained with my and made close to six digits if not more, I was unable to- even today as we speak I have tried to bring on someone as an ap and is can't even find people to put forth any effort everyone I bring on just expects it handed to them.
Boz
Boz
March 13th, 2016 at 8:09:33 AM permalink

Same boat, need restaurant cooks. Ads all over online, where the young are supposed to be. Paying $12-$14, not minimum wage, based on experience. No applicants worth hiring based on work history and interview answers. Honestly wish I could video some of them, people would be shocked.

I truly believe anyone who wants a job has one. It may not be in your field or pay what you want, but it's honest work. Those without a job are either unemployable, don't want to work or have found it pays better not to work.
RonC
RonC
March 13th, 2016 at 9:02:20 AM permalink
Rubio is going to lose Florida by a huge margin if the latest polls are even close to correct. At a minimum, a candidate in one of the battleground states HAS to be able to win the state in the primary. It is time for him to leave the race. I don't even think he can get enough delegates to deny a first ballot nomination to Trump and his continued presence (and that of Kasich, who at least may win at home) keeps Republicans from picking between the two front runners. I know the establishment doesn't like Cruz but, if they really don't want Trump, they need to at least give Cruz the slight chance of winning enough delegates the rest of the way to deny the first ballot nomination of Trump.

If they stay in the race much longer, I have to wonder if they really want a Republican to win. That does assume Trump is a Republican at this point, which is a whole other question... Rubio is now saying he doesn't know if he could support Trump as the nominee. What? He stood on stage just last week and said that he would support the nominee of the party. Now that his futile position means that he won't be the nominee, he is backing off. Yes, everyone expects Trump to follow his pledge and was all over him for being wishy washy at one point...those same people should be all over Marco.

Cruz is the best hope for a nominee other than Trump. It would be an uphill climb and it would be a wild ride at the convention. Trump could still go third party in spite of his pledge if Cruz was nominated on a second, third or later ballot. I think the only one who can get to the number for a first ballot win at this point is Trump; he will have to be beaten in enough primaries to fall short of that number to even make it a question.

Romney and the other idiots need to understand that injecting themselves in the way that they do just brings more attention to Trump...and, as EB says, all of that time is free.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
March 13th, 2016 at 9:24:22 AM permalink

I truly believe anyone who wants a job has one. ......Those without a job are either unemployable.

Tried to figure out how both parts of this statement could even theoretically be true. Giving up, unless there are zero people who want jobs and are also "unemployable."
HeySlick
HeySlick
March 13th, 2016 at 9:56:58 AM permalink

And the GOP lied to their base by promising things they were not willing to do. For me, the failure to keep the government closed locked my wallet from donating to any of them again.

Without Trump, I would have stayed home this year, which I know only helps Hillary, but the candidate they would have put out there would not have been much different in the end.

YEAH! Michael BJ (those initials, huh?) claimed I didn't spell creditability correctly --- therefore in his world I have NO credibility.
MichaelBluejay
MichaelBluejay
  • Threads: 81
March 13th, 2016 at 10:08:18 AM permalink

But why does my opinion even matter because according to Michael BlueJay, [sic] I'm an idiot who cannot spell 3 letter words, not worthy of debate.

Quote: RonC

(L)et's play that game for a minute just to point out how ridiculous it is to assume someone's opinion counts less overall just because they are not an educated elite.

So, in RonC's world, a third-grade education makes you an educated elite. I guess anyone who graduates high school lives in an ivory tower.

And of course, we should dismiss educational "elites" because education is a bad thing. Just like science.
Presidential Election polls and odds: https://2605.me/p
Boz
Boz
March 13th, 2016 at 10:09:41 AM permalink
I see what you are saying, but I'm no wordsmith. Put better if you don't have a job, you either don't want to work or no one will hire you based on your prior job history and references. And that is what I tried to say as unemployable.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
March 13th, 2016 at 10:20:40 AM permalink

I see what you are saying, but I'm no wordsmith. Put better if you don't have a job, you either don't want to work or no one will hire you based on your prior job history and references. And that is what I tried to say as unemployable.

That is probably true. During the collapse I always thought that there were still jobs for people, many people are unwilling to work a job they think they're over qualified for even short term.
HeySlick
HeySlick
March 13th, 2016 at 10:36:27 AM permalink

You obviously are not an idiot, but let's play that game for a minute just to point out how ridiculous it is to assume someone's opinion counts less overall just because they are not an educated elite. There is this little thing called a "vote" that every citizen who can legally vote gets; the same "vote" as those who claim superiority. That means, that to be President, one has to get the votes of a wide variety of people with differing levels of comprehension of the various issues. Trump is appealing to a lot of the same types (intellectually) as Obama did--and that is what won Obama the election.

Does anyone with half a brain really think that Obama ever said that he was going to make it so people did not have to pay their mortgages, pay for their cars, or anything else? Of course not. He did promise a lot, but what some people heard (not what he actually said) was that he was going to solve all of there problems.

Though they may be different in skin color (or not), Trump is appealing to that same type of people--the ones that really do think that he can change everything just because he says that he can. Some real idiots are branding him a "Nazi" and other things when he is really just showing some of the same abilities that Obama did to bring people to his side. It was great in 2008; now it is horrible. Really, it is just an election campaign and he is winning (in spite of me not wanting him to do so).

He's also getting the support of a lot of smart people all over the place. People that feel that the whole government is failing us and that Washington is filled with a class of people--on both sides of the aisle--who just exist to get elected over and over without really making anything better and unable to do the hard work of getting things done. We've spent 50 years or so in a "War on Poverty" and yet we still use the same tired old solutions to try and solve it. We've tried amnesty and other ideas on immigration, yet we are flooded with even more lower class people who burden our support system. At some point, a lot of people get fed up with voting for the same old thing each cycle.

Trump has "it"; the others in the race less so. I'm not happy about it but I also don't want the establishment to keep going the same way. The fact that I don't like him does not make him a "Nazi". The fact that he does not want his rallies interrupted is fine with me--people are there to see him, not to hear from the other side. If they wanted to hear from them, they would be at their rallies. The idiots disrupting his rallies are giving him even more free TV time at no cost. Trump--like Obama--is running a race to win. If someone wants to stop him, they need to do the same.

I am supporting Ted Cruz. Not because I think he is a perfect candidate, but because he is better than the rest in my opinion. The fact that the other Senators don't like him is fine with me. They are the country club politicians I don't like anyway. People like Bill Nelson, D-FL, who was running for office 40 years ago when I was a Boy Scout and has been in some office or the other ever since...and who managed to get a ride on the space shuttle just because he wanted to ride. People like Lindsey Graham, R-SC, who the hell even cares about him? He flips and flops all over the place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P36x8rTb3jI

This woman and her children certainly believed every word/promise ---- I can just image how she feels now. More than likely she's another hater and will blame others for her problems i.e., racist America, racist system that deprives black people of economic equality on and on and on. Hopefully Clinton/or Sanders DON'T become our next President??
Wizardofnothing
Wizardofnothing
March 13th, 2016 at 10:44:08 AM permalink
It's 100 percent true that people that want jobs can find them- most don't want them or the pay they give .....
This election is an absolute joke - in my life I have never seen a candidate tell people to vote for someone else
You may not believe in what trump does - but you can't deny he does want to be successful as a president-
Can't believe kasich thinks "wow new election" I won Ohio- if he does its one state WHAT GOOD IS THAT- and it's HIS state to boot. The whole election is absurd- unemployment numbers are absurd because they are not even close to accurate- the government just erases people from the count after a certain period of time.
There are jobs- and ways to make money you just have to work.
The family structure in our country is ruined for the most part- my gf is a teacher and has to call home at times and the replies she gets from parents are disgusting - not to mention sometimes for class trips the parents can't sent in 10 dollars but the kids are wearing new air max 95s
That's my rant- thanks for reading
HeySlick
HeySlick
March 13th, 2016 at 11:01:10 AM permalink

It's 100 percent true that people that want jobs can find them- most don't want them or the pay they give .....
This election is an absolute joke - in my life I have never seen a candidate tell people to vote for someone else
You may not believe in what trump does - but you can't deny he does want to be successful as a president-
Can't believe kasich thinks "wow new election" I won Ohio- if he does its one state WHAT GOOD IS THAT- and it's HIS state to boot. The whole election is absurd- unemployment numbers are absurd because they are not even close to accurate- the government just erases people from the count after a certain period of time.
The family structure in our country is ruined for the most part- my gf is a teacher and has to call home at times and the replies she gets from parents are disgusting - not to mention sometimes for class trips the parents can't sent in 10 dollars but the kids are wearing new air max 95s

If you noticed the video I posted? (the one above yours) -- IMO Obama created this type of mindset within so many poor communities and, in particular poor and under-educated AA communities -- he's done a real injustice and has caused a wider divide between black and white people......he transformed America alright but in a very negative way.
Last edited by: HeySlick on Mar 13, 2016
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
March 13th, 2016 at 12:29:06 PM permalink
Quote: MichaelBluejay

So, in RonC's world, a third-grade education makes you an educated elite. I guess anyone who graduates high school lives in an ivory tower.

Trump went to an expensive military school
for his HS years and held the rank of Captain
when he got out. You have to do well in
MS or they kick you out. He then went to
Fordham U and then the Ivy League 'Wharton
Business School'. I suspect he knows how to
spell 3 letter words just fine.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 89
March 13th, 2016 at 1:05:48 PM permalink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P36x8rTb3jI

This woman and her children certainly believed every word/promise ---- I can just image how she feels now. More than likely she's another hater and will blame others for her problems i.e., racist America, racist system that deprives black people of economic equality on and on and on. Hopefully Clinton/or Sanders DON'T become our next President??

It was edited
"I wont have to pay for my gas or mortgage"
missing
"Because my husband will have a good job due to Obama fixing the economy Bush and Wall St blew up"

:-)
Its just a forum. Nothing here to get obsessed about.
HeySlick
HeySlick
March 13th, 2016 at 1:17:27 PM permalink
Quote: terapined

It was edited
"I wont have to pay for my gas or mortgage"
missing
"Because my husband will have a good job due to Obama fixing the economy Bush and Wall St blew up"

:-)

She actually says "She won't have to worry about puttin' gas in her Car" LMAO!!! Seriously Who-TF is going to put gas in your car? I know what she meant but --- many ignorant people within society would take it another way (e.g.,be violent or worse).
RonC
RonC
March 13th, 2016 at 1:44:39 PM permalink

But why does my opinion even matter because according to Michael BlueJay, [sic] I'm an idiot who cannot spell 3 letter words, not worthy of debate.

And of course, we should dismiss educational "elites" because education is a bad thing. Just like science.

Yes...yes...that's it. That is exactly what I said. I guess I didn't make it clear enough for you, and I apologize for that. I'll make it simple:

Registered voter with third grade reading and comprehension = 1 vote

Registered voter with a doctorate and requisite level of reading and comprehension - 1 vote

Winning an election is not about intellectual superiority; it is about convincing enough people to vote for you. You can't just convince one group or the other that you are the best candidate; you need to convince a wide range of people.

I hope that helps...but I am betting you'll somehow try to twist my words further when we all know you knew precisely what I was saying.

Cheers!
EvenBob
EvenBob
March 13th, 2016 at 2:21:24 PM permalink

You can't just convince one group or the other that you are the best candidate; you need to convince a wide range of people.

Half the country has an average IQ or
lower. Those are the people attracted
to Trump. And he gets enough of the
over average IQ's to give him the edge.
Trump is the no thinking candidate.
He will fix everything, he's rich and well
known. That's enough for the average
voter.
sisyphus
sisyphus
  • Threads: 1
March 13th, 2016 at 2:28:33 PM permalink
Gary Johnson
MichaelBluejay
MichaelBluejay
  • Threads: 81
March 13th, 2016 at 2:38:05 PM permalink

I am betting you'll somehow try to twist my words further when we all know you knew precisely what I was saying.

Here's what you said, precisely:

(L)et's play that game for a minute just to point out how ridiculous it is to assume someone's opinion counts less overall just because they are not an educated elite.

That was in direct response to the quote from Boz in which he said:

So, in your own words, you equate a third-grade education with being part of an "educational elite". You apparently think we live in the Middle Ages.

As for the rest of your argument, when you engage in ridiculous hyperbole like the above, you don't deserve a response. Respect is earned. Or maybe you want a respect handout.
Presidential Election polls and odds: https://2605.me/p
Wizardofnothing
Wizardofnothing
March 13th, 2016 at 3:13:53 PM permalink
Bernie sanders would be an absolute disaster and Hillary is not remotely qualified to be president - would be another disaster not one word she says can be believed and she is sooooo unlike able..... Rubio can't even figure out which credit card he should take out of his pocket . Kasich I wouldn't mind but his logic of winning Ohio and he is good to go is absurd- I'll take trump anyday - everyone knows he will tone it down some- but can anyone honestly say that we should not have a 50 foot wall it's a joke what goes on at the border- it's totally unsafe and the amount of drugs coming in is stagerring ,
HeySlick
HeySlick
March 13th, 2016 at 3:14:12 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Half the country has an average IQ or
lower. Those are the people attracted
to Trump. And he gets enough of the
over average IQ's to give him the edge.
Trump is the no thinking candidate.
He will fix everything, he's rich and well
known. That's enough for the average
voter.

FYI this link shows where the United States falls in the overall IQ average range - where did you come-up with your figures i.e., 159 million+ are average and, the other half are below the overall average range of 98.

http://www.statisticbrain.com/countries-with-the-highest-lowest-average-iq/
Wizardofnothing
Wizardofnothing
March 13th, 2016 at 3:16:02 PM permalink
By definition more or less half the country would have above and half below - well technically median would be that way but it's more or less accurate
HeySlick
HeySlick
March 13th, 2016 at 3:22:48 PM permalink

By definition more or less half the country would have above and half below - well technically median would be that way but it's more or less accurate

Image if they broke it down by gender and ethnicity --- I guess that would be to UN-politically correct in todays environment??
EvenBob
EvenBob
March 13th, 2016 at 3:30:49 PM permalink

FYI this link shows where the United States falls in the overall IQ average range - where did you come-up with your figures

That's what 'average' means. Doesn't matter
what the IQ number is, half are below it and
half are above it. In Zimbabwe, half are below
66 IQ, half are above it. In the US, Trump
appeals to the half below the average, and
gets a much smaller percentage from those
above the average.
HeySlick
HeySlick
March 13th, 2016 at 3:53:28 PM permalink

half are above it. In Zimbabwe, half are below
66 IQ, half are above it. In the US, Trump
appeals to the half below the average, and
gets a much smaller percentage from those
above the average.

I don't buy it -- i.e., can you provide some facts/link supporting those numbers -- or maybe your just making assumptions based on those variables above. IMO if attendance at every Trumps rally was 15,000 & the population of the US is 319 million. - You'd have to break it down even further to get some actual percentages.

I was curious so I did a search (incidentally I did a tour of duty in Korea 1967-68)

As of April 2015, the country with the highest average IQ is South Korea, which has an average IQ of 106, according to the report "IQ and the Wealth of Nations." While technically not a country, Hong Kong's average IQ, when measured separately from China, is 107, making it higher than South Korea. Other countries that have high average IQs are Japan, Taiwan, Singapore and Austria.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
March 13th, 2016 at 4:29:35 PM permalink

It's all about the math, now. Rubio takes FL, Kasich takes OH, both winner-take-all, and the mountain gets that much steeper for Trump , nearly impossible, to go into the convention with enough delegates to win a first ballot. He won't win another one if he doesn't already have the delegates.
TomG
TomG
  • Threads: 16
March 13th, 2016 at 4:32:27 PM permalink

I'll take trump anyday - everyone knows he will tone it down some-

It sounds like what you're saying is that you support Trump because you don't believe in his platform.

but can anyone honestly say that we should not have a 50 foot wall it's a joke what goes on at the border- it's totally unsafe and the amount of drugs coming in is stagerring ,

If he can't earn enough support to win the election, it will be very clear the majority of Americans are saying exactly that. Personally I find it amazing that Trump advocates violence against Americans who attend his political rallies, but can't support the idea of using violence against Mexican drug smugglers by adding electric voltage to the wall we will be building next February.
ams288
ams288
  • Threads: 22
March 13th, 2016 at 4:50:01 PM permalink
Just got off the phone with my mom. My parents live in Ohio. I asked who she's going to vote for on Tuesday. The conversation went something like this:

Me: Who are you going to vote for?
Her (sounding displeased): I don't know....
Me: don't vote for Trump
Her: did I say I was going to vote for him?
Me: you should vote for your governor...
Her: yeah, that is probably the best choice that we have left. If it comes down to Trump and Hillary in November, I'm probably going to stay home. I know that's awful, but this is ridiculous....

I've heard so many people say they are going to not vote in November if it comes down to them. It's crazy.
Ding Dong the Witch is Dead
HeySlick
HeySlick
March 13th, 2016 at 4:56:30 PM permalink
Quote: TomG

It sounds like what you're saying is that you support Trump because you don't believe in his platform.

If he can't earn enough support to win the election, it will be very clear the majority of Americans are saying exactly that. Personally I find it amazing that Trump advocates violence against Americans who attend his political rallies, but can't support the idea of using violence against Mexican drug smugglers by adding electric voltage to the wall we will be building next February.

That's the first time I've heard of that scenario (bolded area) -- if the wall is tall enough why would it need to be electrified? As time goes by I don't think Trump will be our next President. Another term for Obama and his agenda to transform America seems inevitable, another socialist in the white house will be the end for this once great and exceptional country.

maybe I was mistaken about the meaning of socialist/ism. Sanders is not a socialist, then what is he? He is a social democrat; which is radically different from being a democratic socialist.

http://www.counterpunch.org/2016/01/15/why-americas-next-president-will-not-be-a-socialist/
Paradigm
Paradigm
  • Threads: 42
March 13th, 2016 at 6:16:30 PM permalink

half are above it.

Isn't that the median? I wonder if there is a big discrepancy between the average intelligence in the US and the median intelligence and if that has changed over time. Sounds like a research project for some University PhD with time on his/her hands.
HeySlick
HeySlick
March 13th, 2016 at 6:21:04 PM permalink
I've previously mentioned this term 'right of passage' the link below describes it in another fashion however it still has SOO many parallels to my term above. BTW the link below is an excellent read.

http://bluenationreview.com/our-next-president-coming-ready-or-not-hillary-clinton/
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
March 13th, 2016 at 6:43:12 PM permalink
Does anyone actually believe that Mexico really has anything to do with our drug problems? What would building a wall do for that? I could listen to other reasons, but for drug enforcement is just retarded.

If we have the demand, the supply will be there. Shut down the border and more will come domestically or through tunnels, the supply WILL meet the demand, the demand(we) are the problem.

Would think that over 40 years of the same sort of thinking regarding drug enforcement with zero tangible effectiveness would be enough to convince people otherwise, but I guess not.
Wizardofnothing
Wizardofnothing
March 13th, 2016 at 7:10:27 PM permalink
It's only part of the problem but truthfully he has some views (trump) that I don't agree with but a lot of what he says - ie trade imbalance- Isis and other items are spot on
That being said Ted Cruz is spot on with his irs solution although I cannot see it ever being passed by congress
RonC
RonC
March 13th, 2016 at 7:58:01 PM permalink

As for the rest of your argument, when you engage in ridiculous hyperbole like the above, you don't deserve a response. Respect is earned. Or maybe you want a respect handout.

I don't want, need, or give a flying crap about your respect. As far as wanting a respect handout, I've never asked for a handout. I am not going to start now.

Have a nice day!!
Boz
Boz
March 13th, 2016 at 8:47:18 PM permalink

Here's what you said, precisely:

That was in direct response to the quote from Boz in which he said:

So, in your own words, you equate a third-grade education with being part of an "educational elite". You apparently think we live in the Middle Ages.

No, we EARN things on our side. The left has a lock on the handouts, that's why they win elections and will probably win this one. You can't win a majority when your message is hard work and sacrifice, but it nice to hear and know some still believe in it.

As for you Mr Bluejay, I would love to know more about what you did to become so much better than the average person. Again, were you just born special and others were just not so "lucky", or did you make the choices that you know others just can't or won't make? It has to be a heartwarming story for others to hear. Please tell a less educated person like me, what can we all learn from the Michael Bluejay story? The world needs uplifting tales in these dark days.

My story is also here for others to hear, but it's just not as exciting. Nobody wants to hear about so guy who can't spell so good (well??) and still turned out alright. Kind of makes it seem regular people can do well without the help of elites by making good choices and working hard. But that doesn't fit you storyline and doesn't make you seem so special then, does it?
  • Jump to: