Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
October 10th, 2012 at 3:48:25 PM permalink
My tennis shoes are black and brown, and I think they are actually skateboarding shoes...
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
bigpete88
bigpete88
  • Threads: 23
October 10th, 2012 at 4:04:12 PM permalink
I buy a lot of clothes from ebay. 6pm.com has great prices too.

Sometimes, I will go to Marshalls or TJ Max locally for Calvin Klein, Ralph Lauren etc.

Expensive stuff from ebay and some might be counterfit, maybe not. Spelling is always correct and good quality. Check sellers feedback.

I even buy shoes on ebay and 6pm.com as 75% off if you shop hard and shoes are new. Go by the inside shoe measurement, not the outside. Learned that the hard way.

DSF locally has some nice shoes on sale too.

Marshalls added a larger shoe department.

Outlet mall are good at the right store.

Happy shopping
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
October 10th, 2012 at 6:53:20 PM permalink
I try not to buy clothes as much as possible, it seems like a waste of money when I can get so many Logo Polos and T-Shirts for free! In the event that I cannot, however, then I will usually get shirts from yard sales, you just have to make sure to put them in a garbage bag right after you but them and take them to a laundromat (not at your house) and throw thm immediately in the dryer for a half hour, or so. I'm not paying retail. My wife shops at Lane Bryant or Fashion Bug, and most of the Kids' clothes come from Sears or JCPenney.

I am not spending more than $10.00 on as many shirts, though (except my WoO shirt) not fucking happening.

I'll usually buy jeans from Sears or JCPenney because you have to try on jeans, and I am not trying on Yard Sale or any secondhand pants. The cool thing about jeans is that one pair can last five years or more if you're reasonably careful with them. I'll often go to Army Surplus to get Camo-Pants and Army Boots for the purpose of outside work, so those things last forever...Pair of Army Boots, size 16, $10, HTF are you going to beat that?

I'll shop for shoes at a store called The Shoe Department because they will always have at least one pair of skateboarding shoes or tennis shoes for under $30 on clearance, and then you can sometimes find an on-line coupon on top of that. Plus, they're the only place aside from dumpy Gabriel Bros. that actually has shopes readily available (and a lot of them) in my size. The Shoe Department is also a pretty nice and clean store. I won't set foot in Gabes.

My wife usually gets shoes and other clothes from Fashion Bug or Lane Bryant, Sears or JCPenney for the kids.

I'll generally get Khaki and Cargo Shorts from Wal*Mart, but the key is you have to wait until, August and buy them for the following year, because that's when hey are on clearance and you can find on-line coupons such that they occasionally pay you to take the shorts away for them. They don't actually pay you, but the negative balance on the shorts comes off of whatever else you buy.

I get underclothes (White T-Shirts and Boxers) from Wal*Mart because I don't care where they come from. I'll usually try to find coupons.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
October 10th, 2012 at 7:43:33 PM permalink
How about leather, how does that fit into
modern fashion.

"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
WongBo
WongBo
  • Threads: 62
October 11th, 2012 at 3:14:08 AM permalink
Has someone been cruising the Castro again?

Are you the one on the left or the right?

That post made me spit out my beer coffee...
In a bet, there is a fool and a thief. - Proverb.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
October 11th, 2012 at 10:08:43 AM permalink
Quote: WongBo

Are you the one on the left or the right?

I'm the guy in the background with the
sunglasses and the 9mm..
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
October 12th, 2012 at 11:49:52 AM permalink
Really? Oh boy...

Quote: Nareed

It look like I'll ahve to try this again.

As to men's fashions, just keep these simple rules in mind:

Always wear socks, except at the beach or the pool

Nope! I wear flip flops for most of the summer.
Quote:

Never wear sandals, except at the beach or the pool

See above. Chacos are also extremely comfortable.
Quote:

Never wear a T-shirt, except at the beach, the pool or when working out. A team T-shirt is permissible at a Football game (if you go to soccer or baseball stadiums, good taste is beyond you anyway)

Bwahahahaha, what? I wear t-shirts for about 90% of my life.

Quote:

Never wear a logo shirt, unless it's part of a uniform, or has your logo, or has your company's logo, or you're part of tour or convention group.

See above...most of my t-shirts have logos or designs on them.
Quote:

Never wear a tank top, no exceptions.

Eh, can't really argue with this one, although I would say they can be appropriate for athletic events.
Quote:

Don't ever wear sneakers with formal or business attire.

Agreed!
Quote:

Hair styling products, such as hairspray, mousse and gel, are not detrimental to your health and they won't make you go bald. Ditto for deodorant.

Again, agreed! I like to do weird things with my hair.

Where in the hell did you get these "rules"?
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
October 12th, 2012 at 11:59:30 AM permalink
Quote: AcesAndEights

Where in the hell did you get these "rules"?

I made them up. I plead good taste :)
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Nareed
Nareed
October 15th, 2012 at 12:22:11 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

I'll post links and photos to my Pinterest feed later (I'm at work now). For now, we can start with a very simple question:

How do you assess a website which lists really nice-looking clothes at very reasonable prices? What if it offers free or low-cost shipping as well?

On that, I ordered a skirt from a Hong Kong based comapny called "Chicwish." While not cheap (the skirt cost $59 US), it does offer free, if slow, shipping, and more than a few unique designs. The package arrived about 20 days after I placed the order. I paid with a credit card via PayPal, so there's some protection on that score. The package contianed the skirt, in the size and color as ordered, plus a sheet with instructions to return it if necessary.

Overall I can recommend this site.

More recently I've ordered clothes from Venus swimwear. They have a very nice line of regular clothing. Last I know the order shipped last week, so I'm still waiitng for it. Shipping to mexico is a flat fee $28.50, which is reasonable all things considered. There are frequent offers for free shipping to the US. I paid witha credit card using their own checkout.

I also ordered from a chinese company called Sammydress (yes, the way they use of English in these websites tends to be a bit amusing). This is a cut-rate site that does charge for shipping accoridng to weight. The order, which was for 4 wigs and a nightie, was placed las Saturday, again using PayPal. Shipping was about $20 US, which is still reasonable. I'm awaiting notice that it has shipped.

I'll have more to report later, as the ponderous snail-mail service turns...
Nareed
Nareed
October 16th, 2012 at 3:28:18 PM permalink
Good news/bad news.

The good, I got a call from UPS saying they tried to deliver the shipment from Venus but didn't find the address. The shipping seems a lot more reasonable if they're using a courier company rather than "1st class" snail-mail. Anyway, they ahd the address wrong on the label. Fortunately they called and I gave them the office address. I shoudl receive it tomorrow.

The bad news is that customs slapped a tax of about $70 US OUCH!

Now, that might be just bad luck, I don't often get slapped with a tax, or it might be a recurrent issue. If the latter, I'll need to find a different arrangement.
Nareed
Nareed
October 17th, 2012 at 3:08:35 PM permalink
I did indeed receive the package today, and they did indeed charge me the customs tax <grumble>.

I do a great deal of online shopping, on and off, and receive packages from the US, Europe and Asia. I don't often get customs taxes. usually, though, the packages are smaller and delivered through the mail. It may be, and I should really dig a little, that a courirer company like UPS might be slapping on a charge for use of their customs agent (a contemptible figure in Mexican law, such as it is) rather than import duties.

It woudl be a shame either way. Venus has a lot of pretty stuff I had my eye on... Maybe I can get them to deliver to Vegas next time I'm there. Does anyone know how hotels handle parcels shipped to guests? My choices for the next trip are either 4 Queens, MSS or the Cal.
  • Jump to: