Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
September 3rd, 2012 at 3:59:37 PM permalink
Let's face it. This is a topic that's badly lacking in this website. Also I'm setting up a fashion blog (like that's needed in the web, right?).

I'll post links and photos to my Pinterest feed later (I'm at work now). For now, we can start with a very simple question:

How do you assess a website which lists really nice-looking clothes at very reasonable prices? What if it offers free or low-cost shipping as well?

Of course, this question applies to every other kind of retail website as well. And of course the web is full of scams, get-rich-quick schemes, switch-and-bait schemes, etc.

One way is to search the web for reviews. This presents a slight problem: people will more often post negative reviews than positive ones, and will do so more stridently as well. There are a host of other problems, too. If a site offers, say, a maxi-dress for $45, and you read a review complaining of "bad quality," what does that mean? It can mean the seller expected too much and was disappointed, or it can mean the seller expected a $45 level of quality and instead got somethign more suited to a $4.50 level. Likewise with complaints about shipping times. "Free" shipping usually means using the slowest method available, often involving post offices which may delay things further.

Many of the more appealing sites are located in China, too. Chinese manufacturing tends to be uneven. This can be said of almost any country, but emerging countries tend to be notorious about it. Goods made for reputable brands perforce undergo better quality controls. But do you recall not long ago lead paint in toys, and pet food better suited for rat poison?

Than, too, there's the matter of the rule of law. China is as bad as Mexico or Russia in such matters. So what happens if your clothes don't even arrive? Do you have any recourse? Some of these sites take Paypal and other third-party pay services. That, at least, can be helpful. Also, you'd figure if Paypal has to cancel or dispute too many payments from SellerX, they'll drop that account in a hurry.

A good tool would be a site that collected reviews of online retailers. Think Trip advisor for retail. I don't know of any such site as yet.

Well, that's enough for an opening post.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
September 3rd, 2012 at 5:16:53 PM permalink
Funny to find myself here. After all, a "new tank top" to me means I cut the sleeves off an old T-shirt. Viola! New tank =D

But I do have a few stories about China. I've gotten a number of football jerseys and hockey sweaters from there. My brand new, bought in the States, official Leafs Domi jersey ran me $200. I really wanted a Wendel Clark to go with it, so instead of here, I went there. Including shipping....$35! Football was no different. $85-$100 at Finish Line, or $20 from Xiung Tao Providence. Guess where I went? My mom followed suit, a couple hundred dollar dress for a wedding here was picked up for less than gas money there.

Pro's and con's, though. For one, the China stuff is 100% counterfeit. They at least got the names right, but the tags were completely mispelled, the stitching wasn't league official, the Trademarks are ever so slightly off. For me, I didn't care, but if you're picky about your gear, know it ain't gonna be right.

The materials are also highly suspect. My Domi sweater smells like hockey gear. My Clark jersey smells like chemicals. If I knock my smoke against the window and spray my Domi jersey with sparks, I brush it off. I did that to my Clark jersey and it melted a 2" hole into it.

I have the ultimate customer service story c/o China, too, which I'll spare you, but if your order comes in all jacked up, well, too bad. Consider it the cost of business and move on. Don't order anything you need from China.

And I remember the Dept of Somethingorother was cracking down on these con jobs around Xmas time. Don't be surprised if your order to Mao Xu never makes it there.
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
  • Threads: 51
September 3rd, 2012 at 7:36:44 PM permalink
Embrace your inner nerd!

Someday, joor goin' to see the name of Googie Gomez in lights and joor goin' to say to joorself, "Was that her?" and then joor goin' to answer to joorself, "That was her!" But you know somethin' mister? I was always her yuss nobody knows it! - Googie Gomez
Tiltpoul
Tiltpoul
  • Threads: 32
September 4th, 2012 at 10:54:18 AM permalink
I would like to get some opinions from people who wear suits, sport coats and dress wear. While gamblers are not my primary target customer for the business I am in, I always like hearing what people have to say.

If you wear men's suits and dress wear, hit me up here or in a PM. I'll post more when I get a chance (which isn't a lot these days, with the new job and all)...
"One out of every four people are [morons]"- Kyle, South Park
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
  • Threads: 112
September 4th, 2012 at 11:33:47 AM permalink
I always wear a suit in court. Usually I am the defendant.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
September 4th, 2012 at 11:46:47 AM permalink
Quote: s2dbaker

Embrace your inner nerd!

Do people really not wear socks with leather shoes?
I tried it once decades ago and my feet were sweating
so badly I had to take the shoes off. Your feet have
more sweat glands than any other part of your body.
Also, it looks ridiculous.

Now this is cool, men wearing sandles..

"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
FarFromVegas
FarFromVegas
  • Threads: 7
September 4th, 2012 at 12:45:12 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Embrace your inner nerd!

I tried it once decades ago and my feet were sweating
so badly I had to take the shoes off. Your feet have
more sweat glands than any other part of your body.
Also, it looks ridiculous.

Now this is cool, men wearing sandles..

I'm guessing neither set is catering to men looking to attract women. Those outfits are excellent birth control devices, at least as far as I'm concerned.

As always, YMMV.
Each of us is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts. Preparing for a fight about your bad decision is not as smart as making a good decision.
WongBo
WongBo
  • Threads: 62
September 4th, 2012 at 12:58:58 PM permalink
Just because they aren't breeders doesn't mean They don't attract women like flies to honey.
And I am pretty sure most women would jump at the chance if the guy Were interested....
In a bet, there is a fool and a thief. - Proverb.
tsmith
tsmith
  • Threads: 19
September 4th, 2012 at 1:01:41 PM permalink
I hate looking at bare feet, especially men's feet.

Replace the silly flip-flops with cowboy boots, add a long-sleeved white dress shirt and we might have something to talk about. A Stetson is optional, but would add extra points. :)
FarFromVegas
FarFromVegas
September 4th, 2012 at 1:10:10 PM permalink
Quote: WongBo

Just because they aren't breeders doesn't mean They don't attract women like flies to honey.
And I am pretty sure most women would jump at the chance if the guy Were interested....

Not I. I'm not into pretty--the guy can't take longer to get dressed than I do!

Except Ryan Seacrest, and he would definitely fall into the Friend Zone. I just like him because he talks to his mom every day. As a mom of 3 boys I appreciate that!
Each of us is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts. Preparing for a fight about your bad decision is not as smart as making a good decision.
WongBo
WongBo
September 4th, 2012 at 2:04:08 PM permalink
Believe it or not, some guys can look that good just throwing on the jeans and the sandals...
Of course we won't count the hours in the gym, the hair salon, and the body waxing....
FarFromVegas
FarFromVegas
September 4th, 2012 at 2:13:07 PM permalink

Believe it or not, some guys can look that good just throwing on the jeans and the sandals...
Of course we won't count the hours in the gym, the hair salon, and the body waxing....

That's what I meant! I'm very low-maintenance.

My sister and I were having our picture taken with the Chippendales when the one with long hair touched my hair and said; "Ooh--nice hair!" Having a discussion about conditioners really destroyed the illusion, lemme tell you. Those guys are for display purposes only.
Tiltpoul
Tiltpoul
September 4th, 2012 at 5:38:57 PM permalink

This is actually a current fashion trend right now. I saw it a lot in the showrooms in New York, especially the ones that are a bit more hip to the times. In most cases, guys will wear a very thin liner (almost a nylon) that you can't see at all. I can't say that I'm fond of the look, but it does give an extremely tailored suit a bit more of a casual, almost beach feel.

At the risk of sounding like a bot from my earlier post, my job has put me square into the fashion world. Part of my job is assessing current trends and deciding if it's right for our customer (most of the time, they are not; we have a very traditional Midwestern style customer, though we are expanding to the South). The job is a lot of office work, but there is also a lot of traveling and seeing show rooms in New York and across the country. It's exciting and exhausting at the same time.

It's also kind of why I've taken a break from the forum. When you're on a computer all day, the last thing I want to do is sift through more stuff... however, this thread intrigues me and I would like to see it continue on. If you live in the South and wear suits and dress wear, hit me up for sure. I'm really trying to get this right as we expand into Alabama and Georgia.
1BB
1BB
  • Threads: 18
September 4th, 2012 at 5:40:57 PM permalink
Quote: Tiltpoul

This is actually a current fashion trend right now. I saw it a lot in the showrooms in New York, especially the ones that are a bit more hip to the times. In most cases, guys will wear a very thin liner (almost a nylon) that you can't see at all. I can't say that I'm fond of the look, but it does give an extremely tailored suit a bit more of a casual, almost beach feel.

At the risk of sounding like a bot from my earlier post, my job has put me square into the fashion world. Part of my job is assessing current trends and deciding if it's right for our customer (most of the time, they are not; we have a very traditional Midwestern style customer, though we are expanding to the South). The job is a lot of office work, but there is also a lot of traveling and seeing show rooms in New York and across the country. It's exciting and exhausting at the same time.

It's also kind of why I've taken a break from the forum. When you're on a computer all day, the last thing I want to do is sift through more stuff... however, this thread intrigues me and I would like to see it continue on. If you live in the South and wear suits and dress wear, hit me up for sure. I'm really trying to get this right as we expand into Alabama and Georgia.

I gotta ask. Man purse?
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
rainman
rainman
  • Threads: 18
September 4th, 2012 at 5:42:35 PM permalink
rainman+no socks = stinky shoes & athletes foot fungus.
Tiltpoul
Tiltpoul
September 4th, 2012 at 5:45:01 PM permalink
Quote: 1BB

I gotta ask. Man purse?

::Sigh:: Yes, that's a current trend. Now there are a few crossover bags that I think look really cool and are very functional. However a lot of the "man bags" are really just a man's purse, and don't really hold anything of importance. A larger crossover can almost act as a briefcase and is definitely a nice option. We saw one at market that is really awesome, but it was pretty big (big enough to hold a small laptop computer) and was definitely functional.
EvenBob
EvenBob
September 4th, 2012 at 5:45:05 PM permalink
Johnny Depp knows how to dress.

FarFromVegas
FarFromVegas
September 4th, 2012 at 5:51:38 PM permalink
Beckham:

WongBo
WongBo
September 4th, 2012 at 6:01:19 PM permalink
Loafers or boaters with no socks is a coastal New England thing dating back at least a century.
When your socks get wet it is better to hang them in the sun and let them dry then to wear them.
The habit of forgoing them completely followed naturally.
WongBo
WongBo
September 4th, 2012 at 6:03:37 PM permalink
Quote: FarFromVegas

My sister and I were having our picture taken with the Chippendales when the one with long hair touched my hair and said; "Ooh--nice hair!" Having a discussion about conditioners really destroyed the illusion, lemme tell you. Those guys are for display purposes only.

I won't bore/sicken you with the details of gay sex,
But ii assure you the chippendales are not for display purposes only.
Smart money doesn't sing or dance....

But yes from the female perspective , you are completely correct
EvenBob
EvenBob
September 4th, 2012 at 6:04:38 PM permalink

The habit of forgoing them completely followed naturally.

Well, it looks stupid and is very uncomfortable. Leather
shoes don't breathe so they force your foot to sweat and
you can get a blister on your heel very fast. Not to mention
you look like your wife forgot to dress you properly.
FarFromVegas
FarFromVegas
September 4th, 2012 at 6:07:45 PM permalink

I won't bore/sicken you with the details of gay sex,
But issuer you the chippendales are not for display purposes only.
Smart money doesn't sing or dance....

The details of gay sex neither bore me or sicken me. It is what it is. I'm just saying the Chippendales certainly look nice, but for a female, the ones I talked to were just there for decoration. We had a nice conversation, but there would have been no spark in either direction!
WongBo
WongBo
September 4th, 2012 at 6:08:23 PM permalink
Your feet don't sweat that much in autumn in New England, trust me.
And it isn't for running around town.
It's mostly for sitting in your ivy league economics class,
Hanging out with your fraternity brothers around a keg,
Or sailing with Bunny on her dad's yacht....
Then shopping at Brooks brothers for something to wear
with your sock less loafers on casual Friday
Before you take off for the cape or the hamptons
EvenBob
EvenBob
September 4th, 2012 at 6:10:25 PM permalink

It's mostly for sitting in your ivy league economics class,
Hanging out with your fraternity brothers around a keg,

So its OK if you just sit in one place and don't walk
around in them. You're making a statment with them.
"I don't know how to dress myself."
WongBo
WongBo
September 4th, 2012 at 6:12:26 PM permalink
I think the statement is
Look how tan my ankles are...
I don't have to work.
I could just as easily be sitting on a beach in the Bahamas or cap d' Antibes
EvenBob
EvenBob
September 4th, 2012 at 6:14:36 PM permalink

I think the statement is
Look how tan my ankles are...
I don't have to work.

So its "I don't work and I can't dress myself."

I get it.
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
  • Threads: 51
September 4th, 2012 at 6:28:01 PM permalink

I'm not into pretty--the guy can't take longer to get dressed than I do!

Those guys didn't take that long to put on those jeans. Heck, they didn't bother to take the time to put on shirts.
Someday, joor goin' to see the name of Googie Gomez in lights and joor goin' to say to joorself, "Was that her?" and then joor goin' to answer to joorself, "That was her!" But you know somethin' mister? I was always her yuss nobody knows it! - Googie Gomez
FarFromVegas
FarFromVegas
September 4th, 2012 at 6:35:49 PM permalink

Those guys didn't take that long to put on those jeans. Heck, they didn't bother to take the time to put on shirts.

They put in hours at the gym and getting waxed! I've never even had a pedicure. And they even coordinated the rips in their jeans. Pass.
EvenBob
EvenBob
September 4th, 2012 at 6:35:57 PM permalink
Now these are cool socks and loafers.

EvenBob
EvenBob
September 4th, 2012 at 9:31:28 PM permalink
If you look in the Wiz's closet all you'll see is 20 pairs of
beige cargo shorts. Thats why he moved to Vegas.

FarFromVegas
FarFromVegas
September 4th, 2012 at 9:35:32 PM permalink

My husband just landed in Vegas with a suitcase full of beige cargo shorts. I guess he'll be properly dressed then!
EvenBob
EvenBob
September 4th, 2012 at 9:43:36 PM permalink

My husband just landed in Vegas with a suitcase full of beige cargo shorts. I guess he'll be properly dressed then!

You think I was joking? He even wears them when he does the
radio show. They're the go anywhere do anything shorts. I have
3 pair.
FarFromVegas
FarFromVegas
September 4th, 2012 at 9:48:24 PM permalink

You think I was joking? He even wears them when he does the
radio show. They're the go anywhere do anything shorts. I have
3 pair.

I didn't think you were joking. I was wondering what you were doing in the Wizard's closet, though.

(Okay, that part was a joke.)

And I wasn't joking either--I think he packed one pair of pants and probably 3 pairs of khaki cargo shorts!
FarFromVegas
FarFromVegas
September 4th, 2012 at 9:55:13 PM permalink
Coincidentally, one of the announcers for the Dodgers/Padres game is only wearing one sock! He thought there were two in his suitcase, but he had only packed one, so he's only wearing one. Maybe that will become the next fashion trend.
FinsRule
FinsRule
  • Threads: 128
September 5th, 2012 at 6:55:06 AM permalink
Sort of related - I think it's silly that announcers sometimes dress up for the game. Watch the football game tonight and you'll see Al Michaels and Cris Collinsworth in a suit. Why? First, it's a football game, not a funeral. Second, you see them for about 60 seconds during the broadcast, and that really isn't even necessary.

People watching the game are wearing t-shirts, jerseys, and sweat pants. Would anyone care if the announcers were wearing the same?
FarFromVegas
FarFromVegas
September 5th, 2012 at 7:02:15 AM permalink
Quote: FinsRule

Sort of related - I think it's silly that announcers sometimes dress up for the game. Watch the football game tonight and you'll see Al Michaels and Cris Collinsworth in a suit. Why? First, it's a football game, not a funeral. Second, you see them for about 60 seconds during the broadcast, and that really isn't even necessary.

People watching the game are wearing t-shirts, jerseys, and sweat pants. Would anyone care if the announcers were wearing the same?

I like it--I hate how male news anchors dress in a suit but the women now look like they're headed out to the club (or street corner) the second the camera is off. I also like how NBA players wear suits when they're at a game but not playing--they're still at work. It's more professional.

On your own time, you can get creative:

Victor looks professional. The dog doesn't!
WongBo
WongBo
September 5th, 2012 at 7:06:07 AM permalink
Hey the dog is on vacation, leave him alone.
I love his Pince-nez shades...
FarFromVegas
FarFromVegas
September 5th, 2012 at 7:10:30 AM permalink

Hey the dog is on vacation, leave him alone.
I love his Pince-nez shades...

He's stylin' for sure, but he's not dressed for work!
WongBo
WongBo
September 5th, 2012 at 8:24:25 AM permalink
He's got his team colors on at least...
And victor's tie are team colors as well...
FarFromVegas
FarFromVegas
September 5th, 2012 at 8:35:53 AM permalink

He's got his team colors on at least...
And victor's tie are team colors as well...

But if the puppy tries to salsa, he'll get his paws tangled up in that chain! He's dressed for show, not action.

The pink shirt is a bold choice. I'd expect it to clash, but it doesn't.
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
  • Threads: 112
September 5th, 2012 at 9:39:10 AM permalink
I think dressing your dog in clothes should be a mandatory 30 day jail sentence for a first offender.
Tiltpoul
Tiltpoul
September 5th, 2012 at 10:52:09 AM permalink

The pink shirt is a bold choice. I'd expect it to clash, but it doesn't.

Actually, he's mixing a lot of trends. A fancy hat, a slightly more modern suit, button-down collars on the shirt with a knit tie and horizontal stripes. I agree that the look is good, but it's not for everybody. Unfortunately, fashion often becomes a mess when the general public tries to do the same thing. It looks like you belong in an insane asylum.
FatGeezus
FatGeezus
  • Threads: 10
September 6th, 2012 at 8:23:21 AM permalink

I don't remember which comedian said it, but he asked "If baseball coaches wear baseball hats, why don't football coaches wear football helmets?"
FinsRule
FinsRule
  • Threads: 128
September 6th, 2012 at 8:32:37 AM permalink
Quote: FatGeezus

I don't remember which comedian said it, but he asked "If baseball coaches wear baseball hats, why don't football coaches wear football helmets?"

Probably Carlin?
FatGeezus
FatGeezus
  • Threads: 10
September 6th, 2012 at 8:45:21 AM permalink

Probably Carlin?

Probably correct.
EvenBob
EvenBob
September 6th, 2012 at 5:20:00 PM permalink
This is modern hip fashion. C'mon, men's fashion
just doesn't change much. This is how they were
dressing in the 70's. And 60's. And 30's. And 90's.

Nareed
Nareed
October 10th, 2012 at 1:52:07 PM permalink
It look like I'll ahve to try this again.

As to men's fashions, just keep these simple rules in mind:

Always wear socks, except at the beach or the pool
Never wear sandals, except at the beach or the pool
Never wear a T-shirt, except at the beach, the pool or when working out. A team T-shirt is permissible at a Football game (if you go to soccer or baseball stadiums, good taste is beyond you anyway)
Never wear a logo shirt, unless it's part of a uniform, or has your logo, or has your company's logo, or you're part of tour or convention group.
Never wear a tank top, no exceptions.
Don't ever wear sneakers with formal or business attire.
Hair styling products, such as hairspray, mousse and gel, are not detrimental to your health and they won't make you go bald. Ditto for deodorant.
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 10th, 2012 at 1:59:34 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

See? I said not wearing socks makes you
look like an idiot. Not to mention giving
blisters. Thats why socks were invented,
to keep your foot from rubbing against
your shoe.
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
October 10th, 2012 at 3:04:04 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

It look like I'll ahve to try this again.

As to men's fashions, just keep these simple rules in mind:

Never wear sandals, except at the beach or the pool
Never wear a T-shirt, except at the beach, the pool or when working out. A team T-shirt is permissible at a Football game (if you go to soccer or baseball stadiums, good taste is beyond you anyway)
Never wear a logo shirt, unless it's part of a uniform, or has your logo, or has your company's logo, or you're part of tour or convention group.
Never wear a tank top, no exceptions.
Don't ever wear sneakers with formal or business attire.
Hair styling products, such as hairspray, mousse and gel, are not detrimental to your health and they won't make you go bald. Ditto for deodorant.

Let's see...

1.) Yes.
2.) Yes, except I don't like beaches or public bodies of water, so it is irrelevant. In my backyard pool, I just go barefoot.
3.) No. Sorry, I wear them other than under those conditions occasionally. I don't tolerate heat very well, so if it's 70+, it's going to be a T-Shirt.
4.) No, I like Logos. I get them from companies that have stayed at the hotel, sometimes, or from companies with whom I have done business or been a customer. This is pretty much the case when I am getting them for free, but still free advertising for them.
5.) Agreed.
6.) Oops * Every day of my life. I hate dress shoes.
7.) Thanks, I use gel when my hair is longish, but right now it is very short.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
Nareed
Nareed
October 10th, 2012 at 3:24:51 PM permalink
Quote: Mission146

3.) No. Sorry, I wear them other than under those conditions occasionally. I don't tolerate heat very well, so if it's 70+, it's going to be a T-Shirt.

3)?

Anyway, a nice, loose shirt, with short sleeves and a light color, will keep you cooler than a T-shirt.

But you can wear a T-shirt for bed, too, or when doing any kind of dirty work.

Quote:

4.) No, I like Logos. I get them from companies that have stayed at the hotel, sometimes, or from companies with whom I have done business or been a customer. This is pretty much the case when I am getting them for free, but still free advertising for them.

Hey, I can't stop you.

Quote:

6.) Oops * Every day of my life. I hate dress shoes.

You can get good casual shoes with rubber soles and a decent amount of padding. So long as they're black or brown they look ok.
  • Jump to: