Thread Rating:

billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
Thanked by
aceofspades
June 24th, 2018 at 4:46:19 PM permalink
I drink about four or five powder shakes a week. Mostly water, with about a quarter of the shake 2% milk. Usually as a lunch substitute but occasionally as a late night snack. If I save 1,000 calories a week just on that, that's 50,000 less in a year. If everything else is equal, that cant be a bad thing.
I just recently stopped my Nutrisystem program. It was a bit expensive but jumpstarted my program. If nothing else, it pointed out my old portions were usually two or three times bigger than they allow. I used to have two Hot Pockets and a 16 ounce glass of milk for lunch.
Now I'm down to one and a six ounce glass of milk. Drink a lot more water and about half as much milk as I was doing a year ago.
Change your attitude, save the cheerleader. Or something like that.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
aceofspades
aceofspades
  • Threads: 366
June 24th, 2018 at 5:08:44 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

I drink about four or five powder shakes a week. Mostly water, with about a quarter of the shake 2% milk. Usually as a lunch substitute but occasionally as a late night snack. If I save 1,000 calories a week just on that, that's 50,000 less in a year. If everything else is equal, that cant be a bad thing.
I just recently stopped my Nutrisystem program. It was a bit expensive but jumpstarted my program. If nothing else, it pointed out my old portions were usually two or three times bigger than they allow. I used to have two Hot Pockets and a 16 ounce glass of milk for lunch.
Now I'm down to one and a six ounce glass of milk. Drink a lot more water and about half as much milk as I was doing a year ago.
Change your attitude, save the cheerleader. Or something like that.

As a teenager graduating high school - I was a fat-ass - that summer, I joined Jenny Craig and started walking a mile in the park every evening - lost 30 pounds that summer
vegas
vegas
  • Threads: 30
June 24th, 2018 at 7:25:48 PM permalink
Quote: aceofspades

As a teenager graduating high school - I was a fat-ass - that summer, I joined Jenny Craig and started walking a mile in the park every evening - lost 30 pounds that summer

But I assume you gained it all back? These replacement meals ONLY work if you change your lifestyle and the foods you eat. Anyone can lose weight but only a few can keep it off. It is a life style change
50-50-90 Rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there is a 90% probability you'll get it wrong
aceofspades
aceofspades
June 24th, 2018 at 7:31:52 PM permalink
Quote: vegas

But I assume you gained it all back? These replacement meals ONLY work if you change your lifestyle and the foods you eat. Anyone can lose weight but only a few can keep it off. It is a life style change

Nah, I then got into powerlifting and gained a lot of muscle (and some fat) so my body goals became different
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
June 24th, 2018 at 7:33:45 PM permalink

Nah, I then got into powerlifting and gained a lot of muscle (and some fat) so my body goals became different

So, in other words....you gained it all back?
aceofspades
aceofspades
June 24th, 2018 at 11:00:14 PM permalink
Quote: mcallister3200

So, in other words....you gained it all back?

You are equating weight with BMI - 2 different things
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
June 24th, 2018 at 11:13:29 PM permalink

I started on kept and also gave up alcohol

kept ?????
aceofspades
aceofspades
June 24th, 2018 at 11:17:34 PM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

kept ?????

typo - meant to be keto
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
Thanked by
aceofspades
June 25th, 2018 at 5:32:35 AM permalink

typo - meant to be keto

That's a relief!! It was a great puzzlement in the wee hours of the morning. I thought perhaps it was some new type of grain I had never heard of. My brain seems to really be going, particularly in the dead of night.

Just had shredded wheat and milk for breakfast. No big deal there. Should have ;put a wee drop of the creature in the milk though as I am having difficulty waking up.
OnceDear
OnceDear
  • Threads: 63
June 25th, 2018 at 12:38:55 PM permalink

Calories have come from Muscle Milk Light (100 calories) protein shakes and 1 lb. of 94% Lean ground beef each day (with some BBQ sauce and Dijon mustard to dip it in)

AOS. In all seriousness, I've made a gesture to your diet plan today and going forward into the week

Breakfast Just a coffee and one UK 'jammie dodger biscuit' About 85 cals and 13g of carbs. No lunch, apart from a few coffees. I really wasn't hungry today.
Spent the early evening in the gym ( about 45 minutes of circuit training followed by 1 hour intense aerobics )

Evening meal, I took on board the 1lb of lean beef idea. I cheated a bit in that I made it a 'watered down' chilli, with much reduced onion, tomatoes and just a sprinkling of kidney beans. Some chilli seasoning, but far from a full portion. It didn't seem too far off just lean ground beef.

Used 500g of beef but set aside 2/3 of it for Wednesday. and Friday. I'll be doing gym Wednesday too.

Did I stay close to the principle of a low carbs, high protein diet?
It hasn't left me hungry, and making it a chilli made it far more tolerable and sustainable.
Last edited by: OnceDear on Jun 25, 2018
Psalm 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Proverbs 18:2 A fool finds no satisfaction in trying to understand, for he would rather express his own opinion.
aceofspades
aceofspades
June 25th, 2018 at 12:41:20 PM permalink
Quote: OnceDear

AOS. In all seriousness, I've made a gesture to your diet plan today and going forward into the week

Breakfast Just a coffee and one UK 'jammie dodger biscuit' About 85 cals and 13g of carbs. No lunch, apart from a few coffees. I really wasn't hungry today.
Spent the early evening in the gym ( about 45 minutes of circuit training followed by 1 hour intense aerobics )

Evening meal, I took on board the 1lb of lean beef idea. I cheated a bit in that I made it a 'watered down' chilli, with much reduced onion, tomatoes and just a sprinkling of kidney beans. Some chilli seasoning, but far from a full portion. It didn't seem too far off just lean ground beef.

Used 500g of beef but set aside 2/3 of it for Wednesday. and Friday. I'll be doing gym Wednesday too.

It hasn't left be hungry, and making it a chilli made it far more tolerable and sustainable.

Yeah I do not believe onions and tomatoes really contribute much in the way of carbs
I do not know what a Jammie Dodger Biscuit is though -- those carbs were probably all sugar though
You have to find a plan that works for you - if that works from you and you are seeing results, then that is what matters
OnceDear
OnceDear
June 25th, 2018 at 1:10:37 PM permalink

Yeah I do not believe onions and tomatoes really contribute much in the way of carbs
I do not know what a Jammie Dodger Biscuit is though -- those carbs were probably all sugar though
You have to find a plan that works for you - if that works from you and you are seeing results, then that is what matters

Jammie dodger
Yes. It's a wicked portion of sugary carbs. But just one won't kill me. Sometimes I have one or two chocolate biscuits ( cookies ) In the past I'd devour a packet of 12.

I'm of the school of thought that it's 'better to live to eat than to eat to live' If food isn't enjoyable then it's just plain wrong on every level.

A portion of cardboard with some decent seasoning can be more satisfying that a chunk of meat with no dip.

So far, my diet of modest portions of what I enjoy is working for me. I was a steady 198lb to 202lb for decades. Since January I've worked to a steady 180 - 185 and I've not been miserable or obsessive. Still some way to go and cardio vascular still needs work, but I feel I'm on the right road. One of the biggies was training the wife to not offer me cake - ever, on pain of a right moody grumble !

Yes. I do like my alcohol, but by working it into a social calendar and a reward system, I can enjoy it without abusing it,
Went from JD and brandy nightcaps every night and beer with friends 3 tmes a week + every time I felt like it to MEASURED JD at weekends, and one pint on Friday lunch with the buddies, one pint when dining out and one pint on a busy day gardening.

As you say. What works...
Psalm 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Proverbs 18:2 A fool finds no satisfaction in trying to understand, for he would rather express his own opinion.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
Thanked by
aceofspadesOnceDear
June 25th, 2018 at 1:25:27 PM permalink

It hasn't left me hungry, and making it a chilli made it far more tolerable and sustainable.

Substitute a slice of low carb bread (toast) for your biscuit. You must get the beans out of the diet as they are very high in carbs.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
aceofspades
aceofspades
June 25th, 2018 at 1:28:33 PM permalink

Jammie dodger
Yes. It's a wicked portion of sugary carbs. But just one won't kill me. Sometimes I have one or two chocolate biscuits ( cookies ) In the past I'd devour a packet of 12.

I'm of the school of thought that it's 'better to live to eat than to eat to live' If food isn't enjoyable then it's just plain wrong on every level.

A portion of cardboard with some decent seasoning can be more satisfying that a chunk of meat with no dip.

So far, my diet of modest portions of what I enjoy is working for me. I was a steady 198lb to 202lb for decades. Since January I've worked to a steady 180 - 185 and I've not been miserable or obsessive. Still some way to go and cardio vascular still needs work, but I feel I'm on the right road. One of the biggies was training the wife to not offer me cake - ever, on pain of a right moody grumble !

Yes. I do like my alcohol, but by working it into a social calendar and a reward system, I can enjoy it without abusing it,
Went from JD and brandy nightcaps every night and beer with friends 3 tmes a week + every time I felt like it to MEASURED JD at weekends, and one pint on Friday lunch with the buddies, one pint when dining out and one pint on a busy day gardening.

As you say. What works...

My problem is I love sugary snacks and desserts so, I could not eat just one 'jammie'
OnceDear
OnceDear
Thanked by
aceofspades
June 25th, 2018 at 1:43:59 PM permalink

My problem is I love sugary snacks and desserts so, I could not eat just one 'jammie'

I've figured out the very clever ploy of the manufacturers of these UK biscuits (cookies) They cleverly wrap them in packs of 12 or 24. Really quite sneaky.

Pack of 12
I'll just eat one: it's only a twelveth of a pack....
I'll have another one: 2 is just a sixth of a pack...
I'll have another one: 3 is just a quarter of a pack...
I'll have another one: 4 is just a third of a pack...
I'll have a couple more: 6 is just a half of a pack...
I'll have to eat the other 6 and destroy the evidence.

Seriously. I have those thoughts.
aceofspades
aceofspades
June 25th, 2018 at 1:45:41 PM permalink

I've figured out the very clever ploy of the manufacturers of these UK biscuits (cookies) They cleverly wrap them in packs of 12 or 24. Really quite sneaky.

Pack of 12
I'll just eat one: it's only a twelveth of a pack....
I'll have another one: 2 is just a sixth of a pack...
I'll have another one: 3 is just a quarter of a pack...
I'll have another one: 4 is just a third of a pack...
I'll have a couple more: 6 is just a half of a pack...
I'll have to eat the other 6 and destroy the evidence.

Seriously. I have those thoughts.

They don't pay their marketing departments for nothing
OnceDear
OnceDear
June 25th, 2018 at 3:41:28 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

Substitute a slice of low carb bread (toast) for your biscuit. You must get the beans out of the diet as they are very high in carbs.

Agreed on the toast substitute. Maybe tomorrow. I expect breakfast for 3 days this week will be a modest portion of fruit. I'm not prepared to obsess about carbs. I've cut consumption of sugary foods and pasta, potatoes, alcohol and other processed junk etc drastically enough to see satisfactory progress.

1 cup of kidney beans (< 40g carbs?) went into 3 portions of chilli spread over 3 days Those portions each also had 5oz beef, 1/3 onion 5oz tomatoes. So the portions themselves were pretty small. Chilli without kidney beans just wasn't going to satisfy.

I'm trying to go for a sustainable lifetime regime which will continue to be enjoyable, not rapid weight loss and misery. Certainly not misery.
I don't think continuous low carb diet is for me, but it can be part of a rotation of healthy mini-diets. Eg. do that for a week, go vegan for a weak, go calorie counting for a week, etc. Gotta have variety.
aceofspades
aceofspades
June 25th, 2018 at 3:43:52 PM permalink

Agreed on the toast substitute. Maybe tomorrow. I expect breakfast for 3 days this week will be a modest portion of fruit. I'm not prepared to obsess about carbs. I've cut consumption of sugary foods and pasta, potatoes, alcohol and other processed junk etc drastically enough to see satisfactory progress.

1 cup of kidney beans (< 40g carbs?) went into 3 portions of chilli spread over 3 days Those portions each also had 5oz beef, 1/3 onion 5oz tomatoes. So the portions themselves were pretty small. Chilli without kidney beans just wasn't going to satisfy.

I'm trying to go for a sustainable lifetime regime which will continue to be enjoyable, not rapid weight loss and misery. Certainly not misery.
I don't think continuous low carb diet is for me, but it can be part of a rotation of healthy mini-diets. Eg. do that for a week, go vegan for a weak, go calorie counting for a week, etc. Gotta have variety.

I tend to obsess the first 2-3 weeks of a diet - get some rapid weight loss, then slowly build up to a somewhat normal eating schedule
DRich
DRich
Thanked by
OnceDear
June 25th, 2018 at 7:29:55 PM permalink

If you are going to eat fruits, Rasberry and Blackberry have the least carbs.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
June 26th, 2018 at 2:07:54 AM permalink
The high fiber fruits are fine; its the high sugar syrups and juices that often accompany the fruit that will do you in.
billryan
billryan
Thanked by
beachbumbabsRigondeaux
June 26th, 2018 at 10:53:11 AM permalink
Over the years, I had "outgrown" many pairs of pants and jeans, but I held on to them in the hope I might fit in to them again.
When I moved here two years ago, I gave most to charity, but kept four brand new ones I'd never worn. Saturday I tried them on. Two went on easily, and with some effort I got on a pair that didn't fit me ten years ago.
Moments like this make the sacrifices worthwhile.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
aceofspades
aceofspades
June 26th, 2018 at 11:08:53 AM permalink

Over the years, I had "outgrown" many pairs of pants and jeans, but I held on to them in the hope I might fit in to them again.
When I moved here two years ago, I gave most to charity, but kept four brand new ones I'd never worn. Saturday I tried them on. Two went on easily, and with some effort I got on a pair that didn't fit me ten years ago.
Moments like this make the sacrifices worthwhile.

What's that old saying -- looking good feels better than junk food tastes (or, something along those lines)
billryan
billryan
Thanked by
aceofspades
June 26th, 2018 at 11:11:45 AM permalink
If only that were true.
aceofspades
aceofspades
June 26th, 2018 at 12:34:50 PM permalink
According to the scale at my gym - I’ve gained 5 pounds since Sunday by eating 1100 calories a day and doing 30 mins cardio
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 26
June 26th, 2018 at 12:58:59 PM permalink

According to the scale at my gym - I’ve gained 5 pounds since Sunday by eating 1100 calories a day and doing 30 mins cardio

Is that the same scale you always use? Weight can fluctuate several pounds a day regardless of what you're eating or how much, so you need to focus on the long term average on the scale, over at least several months.
aceofspades
aceofspades
June 26th, 2018 at 1:18:33 PM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

Is that the same scale you always use? Weight can fluctuate several pounds a day regardless of what you're eating or how much, so you need to focus on the long term average on the scale, over at least several months.

Yup - same scale - just not sure where 5 pounds came from when my input was ⅓ of the calories of 1 pound (3500 cals)
(funny, autocorrect changed cals to cake lol)
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 26
June 26th, 2018 at 1:32:44 PM permalink

Yup - same scale - just not sure where 5 pounds came from when my input was ⅓ of the calories of 1 pound (3500 cals)

I don't know, but sometimes I get in these moods where I'll check my weight every single day for weeks at a time, and it can jump 2-3 lbs up or down over the course of a single day.

Like I said, it's the long term trend that matters. Just looking at your weight over the course of a week or even a couple of weeks won't give you an accurate picture. I wouldn't worry too much about a 5 lb jump since Sunday. I bet if you checked tomorrow you'd be back down 5 lbs.
aceofspades
aceofspades
June 26th, 2018 at 1:35:32 PM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

I don't know, but sometimes I get in these moods where I'll check my weight every single day for weeks at a time, and it can jump 2-3 lbs up or down over the course of a single day.

Like I said, it's the long term trend that matters. Just looking at your weight over the course of a week or even a couple of weeks won't give you an accurate picture. I wouldn't worry too much about a 5 lb jump since Sunday. I bet if you checked tomorrow you'd be back down 5 lbs.

Yeah you are correct -- it is the newness and seeing a huge downward push on the scale was exciting -- probably water weight balancing itself out -- my goal was to go from 255 to 230 by end of summer -- right now, after a week, I am down to 246
DRich
DRich
June 26th, 2018 at 1:51:19 PM permalink

64 ounces of water (or liquid) weighs about 4 pounds.
aceofspades
aceofspades
June 26th, 2018 at 1:53:20 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

64 ounces of water (or liquid) weighs about 4 pounds.

I thought weight of food/liquids is not a factor - only calories?
RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
Thanked by
aceofspades
June 26th, 2018 at 2:17:07 PM permalink

I thought weight of food/liquids is not a factor - only calories?

For losing weight long term, yes. But if you consume 4 pounds worth of water/food right now then weigh yourself, you’ll weigh 4 pounds more.
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
  • Threads: 57
Thanked by
aceofspadesOnceDear
June 26th, 2018 at 2:19:43 PM permalink
You need to weigh yourself as soon as you wake up in the morning, and only compare those numbers.

+/- 10lbs is easily water weight or a large dump
OnceDear
OnceDear
Thanked by
aceofspades
June 26th, 2018 at 2:35:18 PM permalink
Quote: gamerfreak

You need to weigh yourself as soon as you wake up in the morning, and only compare those numbers.

+/- 10lbs is easily water weight or a large dump

MY GOD. a 10LB dump!!!!! I'd have to call the wife to see it, and the plumber to shift it.
aceofspades
aceofspades
June 26th, 2018 at 2:36:25 PM permalink

MY GOD. a 10LB dump!!!!! I'd have to call the wife to see it, and the plumber to shift it.

You would have to risk suspension by posting it here
RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
June 26th, 2018 at 2:38:38 PM permalink
A 10 pound dump would fill the entire bowl. It’s basically not possible. Pee weighs much more than poop and the absolute most you’ll probably be able to pee at once is 3 pounds.
OnceDear
OnceDear
Thanked by
aceofspades
June 26th, 2018 at 2:40:13 PM permalink

You would have to risk suspension by posting it here

By that I guess you mean the sountrack or the video...... Oh jeez, what an image to have stuck in my head A dump the size of a very large baby. I'd need a Cesarean
aceofspades
aceofspades
June 26th, 2018 at 2:40:54 PM permalink
Quote: RS

A 10 pound dump would fill the entire bowl. It’s basically not possible. Pee weighs much more than poop and the absolute most you’ll probably be able to pee at once is 3 pounds.

mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
Thanked by
gamerfreak
June 26th, 2018 at 2:43:54 PM permalink
Randy Marsh can take a 10 lb dump.
billryan
billryan
June 26th, 2018 at 4:38:18 PM permalink
Two large bottles of diet Coke have no calories, but you are putting four liters of liquid and a ton of chemicals into your body. How does that translate into no calories equals no weight.
billryan
billryan
June 26th, 2018 at 4:42:07 PM permalink
At Hofstra, we had a nose tackle we called Brick Head. He was from American Samoa and weighed well over 300 pounds although he only stood about 5'8.
He claimed he could lose 20 pounds of water during a rugby match, and a bit less during an American football game.
aceofspades
aceofspades
June 26th, 2018 at 4:55:57 PM permalink

Two large bottles of diet Coke have no calories, but you are putting four liters of liquid and a ton of chemicals into your body. How does that translate into no calories equals no weight.

Calories are calories - volume is different, yes, if you drank a gallon of water, you should expect the scale, at that precise moment, to increase by 7 pounds ( the weight of one gallon of water) - however, once expelled, that 7 pounds will be gone as the water has zero calories
billryan
billryan
June 26th, 2018 at 5:08:36 PM permalink
Don't confuse water with soda, even diet soda.
aceofspades
aceofspades
June 26th, 2018 at 5:10:15 PM permalink

Don't confuse water with soda, even diet soda.

Are you saying that if I drank a gallon of water and a gallon of zero calorie soda that, once the liquid was expelled, I would see an increase in scale weight ONLY from the diet soda and not the water? (and I am not talking about how diet soda makes people crave sugar and therefore, they eat more sugar) - I am merely comparing weight gain from water versus diet soda solely (as if that is all the person ever ingested)
billryan
billryan
June 26th, 2018 at 5:45:11 PM permalink
Let me try to simplify this.

I absolutely believe that drinking 500 liters of water over the next year instead of an equal amount of diet soda will result in both weight loss and better health.
A single liter of either doesn't matter.
aceofspades
aceofspades
June 26th, 2018 at 5:47:21 PM permalink

Let me try to simplify this.

I absolutely believe that drinking 500 liters of water over the next year instead of an equal amount of diet soda will result in both weight loss and better health.
A single liter of either doesn't matter.

OK that may be true but we were discussing actual immediate scale weight gain from 1 gallon of water versus 1 gallon of soda (not the health aspects of each)
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
June 26th, 2018 at 5:55:05 PM permalink
Actulal immediate scale weight is meaningless, particularly in a gym of variable humidity and temperature affecting the scale.

Doctors take five blood pressure readings and average the three closest. hypertension varies by time of say and by season of the year.

Weight on a day to day basis is meaningless. Tire pressure varies, Everything varies. What is that about a foolish consistency...?
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 212
June 26th, 2018 at 6:13:45 PM permalink
I urge you to avoid these 3 foods.

They never tell you what they are before you just give up on them. It is a trick.
I am a robot.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
June 27th, 2018 at 1:44:48 AM permalink
It is known as 'click bait'. google pays for clicks so a catchy headline and tiny little tidbits of a story lure you to keep clicking on all those intervening pages that have other ads.

That is the trouble with an advertising based internet.
Tanko
Tanko
  • Threads: 0
June 27th, 2018 at 2:58:32 AM permalink
Diet drinks are associated with weight gain. WAPO

There are 140-150 calories in an 8oz. glass of beer, soda, wine, or juice, and about 90 calories in a glass of milk.

Just four glasses of any combination of those per day adds 11,000-18,000 calories each month to your diet.

You will lose five pounds each month, or avoid gaining five pounds each month, drinking nothing but water.
NokTang
NokTang
  • Threads: 56
June 27th, 2018 at 3:38:42 AM permalink
Quote: Tanko

You will lose five pounds each month, or avoid gaining five pounds each month, drinking nothing but water.

Can you please advise why water alone doesn't equal say sugarless tea or sugarless coffee? My Doctor keeps telling me to drink more "water" and that tea or diet soda's don't count as water. He's Thai so can't/doesn't explain. Thanks.
  • Jump to: