Thread Rating:

Boz
Boz
  • Threads: 155
September 30th, 2017 at 3:36:29 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

I suppose I should have qualified that with "sane" people.

Any chance of you disclosing how much you paid in Federal Income Tax in 2016 and how much you have in estimated in Quarterly 2017 payments through 3 payments? Sure it's none of our business, but it might show why you feel so threatened by this plan.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
September 30th, 2017 at 9:42:40 AM permalink
Quote: Boz

Any chance of you disclosing how much you paid in Federal Income Tax in 2016 and how much you have in estimated in Quarterly 2017 payments through 3 payments? Sure it's none of our business, but it might show why you feel so threatened by this plan.

I feel threatened by this plan because affording the tax cut depends entirely on a hypothetical 3.0%+ sustainable growth. (Depending on reporting: I haven't read it and am not an expert.) We hit that this quarter. But it's been decades since that was sustainable.

I also feel threatened by it because Trump is lying - not speculating, lying - about how it would affect him negatively, and that it would help the middle class. It will help him enormously, assuming he has 10 billion and earns 8 to 9 figures per year like he claims, and won't make any significant difference to the middle class. Someone making 50k will see about $60 difference. Making 90k, about $600. Tax bracket for the poorest actually goes up, but so does the standard deduction, so probably a wash. But Trump would have saved $31,000,000 on the 2005 return, the only example available.

I don't fully understand the business restructured rates re: small business, but those structured like Trump is assumed to be, with real wealth in S Corp and LLC would see a huge windfall. More than 90% of those in that structure, virtually all small businesses, however, would not benefit because they don't have enough income/value. But it would benefit Trump. Icahn. His a-hole buddies.

Re: the estate tax cancellations. The family farmer trope is a joke: one group is reporting only 50 farmers nationwide would be affected, another reporting 80. It only kicks in above about 5 million in assets, which reportedly is .2% of Americans.

So one in 500 small businesses might have to pay some estate tax currently. But Trump is among those, if he has 10 billion. It would personally save him 4 billion.

But oh, no, he would not PERSONALLY benefit. I guess that's because he'd be dead. Or is lying.

I think.perhaps this tax cut and the need for robust growth to support it is why Trump is trying to start a war. A war helps justify a larger military budget and cranking up the military industrial machine tends to spur the economy in the long run. Or else he's just insane. Or both.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
billryan
billryan 
  • Threads: 240
September 30th, 2017 at 10:44:09 AM permalink
The only years taxes anyone has seen on Trump indicated he paid 32 million via the AMT, which this plan eliminates.
Gary Cohen seems to think the average family in America earns $100,000 a year ( they don't) and can use the $1,000 they will save to buy a kitchen or new car.
Median income for a family is under 60,000 and a new kitchen or car is over $15,000.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
Boz
Boz
September 30th, 2017 at 6:24:04 PM permalink
Babs makes some good points and there is no doubt that Trump and other successful people will win under this plan. But I'm not sure how anyone can feel the estate tax is a good thing. Why do we always want to punish success and saving?

While Schumer and the left are against this plan, where was their plan during their years in charge to reduce taxes on the working class? Where is it now? Of course the regular working man and small business owner gets hurt all the time. At least this plan is giving them something. Like it or not, they perceive the "poor" getting more, the rich getting richer while they struggle to find the American dream while working harder and harder. It's exactly why Trump won and the left still doesn't get it.
Boz
Boz
September 30th, 2017 at 6:27:30 PM permalink

The only years taxes anyone has seen on Trump indicated he paid 32 million via the AMT, which this plan eliminates.
Gary Cohen seems to think the average family in America earns $100,000 a year ( they don't) and can use the $1,000 they will save to buy a kitchen or new car.
Median income for a family is under 60,000 and a new kitchen or car is over $15,000.

So they don't deserve the $1000? The idea to make the tax system simpler is a valiant one. This may not be the perfect plan, but anyone that keeps more of workers money in their pockets is a good thing. Why not find it ways to make it better?
petroglyph
petroglyph
  • Threads: 19
September 30th, 2017 at 7:04:13 PM permalink

So they don't deserve the $1000? The idea to make the tax system simpler is a valiant one. This may not be the perfect plan, but anyone that keeps more of workers money in their pockets is a good thing. Why not find it ways to make it better?

Are you familiar with Hedonics? Clinton magic I tell ya.
Anyway, It occurred to me some years back. Whenever I hear any politico, left right or other, talk about tax, it don't matter whether it's new and improved, reduced, replaced or renamed. The same result happens. You know that result. If its a cruel stealth tax like inflation inflicted on old fixed income folks, after a while it is brutal. I coined the phrase back in the Reagan days, " please don't give me another tax break, just leave it as it is".
People will find a way to survive if they just leave it alone. But QE, and the print till you drop fed, is killing us. The last Pres. candidate I voted for was Ron Paul. I think I'm going to leave it like that.
I think .gov quit representing us a long time ago, if they ever did. Nothing personal against the new guy. The last guy was a real shame though. He had a real opportunity to change the world. There should be no one more resentful of him then the average hard working black man, who's hope swirled round the shitter and flushed, while he and she live in opulence.
MaxPen
MaxPen
  • Threads: 13
September 30th, 2017 at 10:51:08 PM permalink

I suppose I should have qualified that with "sane" people.

Often times the sane person in the room appears insane, because the room is predominantly populated with the truly insane.
Boz
Boz
October 1st, 2017 at 7:27:51 AM permalink
Interesting to see the discussion on ESPN this morning about this "protest" is about over because MONEY got involved and the business is being affected. They stated sponsors have expressed concerns and in some minor cases, backed out. While they tried to spin it as players and the league having to look out for their incomes, it's obvious enough people of the issue on both sides expressed concerns. Now the talking heads said the message is lost and if players want to help they should help locally and get involved in elections.

Most people with common sense said last week this was a no win situation for the league, the players and even the fans. And there will be a cost to nonsense like this. Most of us could not do this in our workplace and look to the NFL as an escape from our everyday lives. And most people understand about individual rights and did not question that we all have the right. But most of us also understand there is CONSEQUENCES to actions. And enough people expressed their concerns that the league and most players realized they could be killing their golden goose.

Yet we had ONE person on here, who is so far left that he denied it would affect the league and anyone who said otherwise was guessing and looking into a crystal ball. I think Max hit it out of the park with his comment above. Some people cannot get over their hatred of Trump that they lost the common sense thought process that allowed them to get somewhere in life.
Boz
Boz
October 1st, 2017 at 9:44:42 AM permalink
Quote: terapined

Exactly
Any conservative boycott threat rings hollow
How many fans walk out of a game due to a knee, few to none
This is why conservatives are a snowflake on this issue
They cant take the horror of a knee. (by the way, its really not so horrible, unless you are truly a snowflake)
yet
They also cant walk out of a game
ROTFL

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/exclusive-poll-62-nfl-fans-plan-watch-less-football-163908368.html

Let me guess, they only called racists.
billryan
billryan 
October 1st, 2017 at 11:52:34 AM permalink
The NFL protests started before Trump, and had nothing to do with him
The week before Trump spoke, only a few players were protesting.
After trump called players sons of hitches, many more players joined the protest,many protesting against trump.
This week, roughly twice as many players protested than before Trump opened his mouth.
Somehow, trump supporters think this is a win.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
Boz
Boz
October 1st, 2017 at 3:06:08 PM permalink

After trump called players sons of hitches, many more players joined the protest,many protesting against trump.
This week, roughly twice as many players protested than before Trump opened his mouth.

Not me, I said nobody wins. But you seemed to disagree with it. All I am saying is you were wrong when you said it's wouldn't affect the league. Unless of course Yahoo is on Trumps side.
MaxPen
MaxPen
October 1st, 2017 at 3:29:05 PM permalink

Trump is good at getting people to show their true colors. He has brought much into the light that remained in the dark. Of course now the media's answer is to stop airing the Anthem portion ala FOX and ESPN.
billryan
billryan 
October 1st, 2017 at 4:44:28 PM permalink
Quote: MaxPen

Trump is good at getting people to show their true colors. He has brought much into the light that remained in the dark. Of course now the media's answer is to stop airing the Anthem portion ala FOX and ESPN.

I agree. Under trump, being a bigot and a bully is somehow seen as being cool. Education is looked down on, and diversity is frowned upon. Before trump, I felt the only good nazi was a dead nazi. I still feel that way. it's just easier to id them now. For that, I thank him.
Boz
Boz
October 1st, 2017 at 4:58:20 PM permalink

I agree. Under trump, being a bigot and a bully is somehow seen as being cool. Education is looked down on, and diversity is frowned upon. Before trump, I felt the only good nazi was a dead nazi. I still feel that way. it's just easier to id them now. For that, I thank him.

Because everyone who doesn't agree with your silly point of view is a racist Nazi to you. Why not help everyone that isn't as smart as you by publicly stating who you think is a Nazi? Are there any on here?
Last edited by: Boz on Oct 1, 2017
mikeabiomed
mikeabiomed
  • Threads: 1
October 1st, 2017 at 6:10:51 PM permalink

I'm having a difficult time with this BR. Last time I checked, it didn't matter whether the president was Black or Orange. It was MY responsibility to make things happen in life, not the government's. Whether the former president was Muslim or this one a capitalist really doesn't shape my beliefs. Therefore, I will choose not to say if I don't agree with someone, I would want them dead. How you feel is one thing. How you and AMS spew out hate towards our current leader on a regular basis tells me a lot more than that. As for this country's path, I personally don't want a little bully like "Rocket Boy" continually making threats on our country without consequence. We've come too far to allow his evil threats to materialize. BTW, did you know that after a hundred years, for the first time in history the Saudi's are letting women drive. To many, including myself, there is nothing "cool" about being president, unless you gave a "cool" apology tour to the world. It's time for us to grow up and get all of the facts before heaving out the trash talk. The very first post on this thread should have been banned. (it wasn't) From there it continued to mount into these hate comments. Anyone who thinks it's OK to knock or who hates this country is certainly welcome to leave for greener pastures. Lastly, do I agree with all of the political decisions we are currently facing? NO. This guy's only been in office over 8 months of the 8 years he will be around. Like the last guy, "Get used to it". Believe it or not, this is still America. Time for people to unite and not by bashing and disrespecting our freedom, flag, military and fellow Americans. Everybody wants to make a statement these days. "cool huh?" We can all do better. ID this!
Reno Mike
boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
October 1st, 2017 at 7:19:08 PM permalink
Mike, you started off well enough, and then you kind of made your true colors known. This forum has always had room for political comments and you find the BHO threads on this forum you see the hatred towards him, none of which was banned or should have been.

It of course is your responsibility to make things happen in life,* subject to the government's ability to make it happen. Libertarians love to make the comment that "it's your responsibility" while making public schooling free, providing you protection from crime (police) and fire for free, and enacting laws to enhance public safety and health. So a statement is made, "not the government". Yet the government is involved. It's only when the government does something you don't agree with when you complain about the government, like when they raise taxes to make revenue. But it's perfectly okay for the government (that you paid for) to have 11 carrier groups, thousands of nukes, and a hundred or so submarines, at the cost of hundreds of billions of year, paid for by yours truly, waging war around the world. And that is not dissing the military. It's a point. You say "not the government's" but it is precisely the government who hangs the flag, gives your the freedom, funds the military, and gives the country the cohesiveness to enable people to exercise their first amendment right (via something that the first federal government wrote) to protest the actions of ones own government, or if you prefer, the second amendment to bear arms which enables you to defend yourself against a government that may go corrupt.

There is nothing wrong with lamenting about what is wrong with America. We still live in a democracy that allows you to express that freedom of expression, which includes protest against your current government and the flag and its "ideals" it stands for.

"Time for people for unite?" Yes indeed. [sarcasm]Trump is great at that [/sarcasm].

I love it. Ban the thread. Waaaaahhhhhh!!!
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
billryan
billryan 
October 1st, 2017 at 8:02:01 PM permalink

Because everyone who doesn't agree with your silly point of view is a racist Nazi to you. Why not help everyone that isn't as smart as you by publicly stating who you think is a Nazi? Are there any on here?

When people march in torch lit processions chanting JEWS WILL NOT REPLACE US, or show up waving Swastika flags , I'd hope even you can figure out who the Nazis are. It really isn't that difficult. Perhaps trying to find the really good people in that bunch might be. Personally, "Neca eos omnes. Dues suos agnoset" as Sergeant Major Hayes used to tell us.
RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
Thanked by
MaxPenBoz
October 1st, 2017 at 8:08:06 PM permalink

When people march in torch lit processions chanting JEWS WILL NOT REPLACE US, or show up waving Swastika flags , I'd hope even you can figure out who the Nazis are. It really isn't that difficult. Perhaps trying to find the really good people in that bunch might be. Personally, "Neca eos omnes. Dues suos agnoset" as Sergeant Major Hayes used to tell us.

So before Trump you couldn't figure out those people were Nazis?
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
  • Threads: 57
October 1st, 2017 at 8:09:07 PM permalink

Perhaps trying to find the really good people in that bunch might be.

Apparently there were very fine people on both sides.
mikeabiomed
mikeabiomed
October 1st, 2017 at 8:14:43 PM permalink
There you go Boy. Blame Trump for being sarcastic and casting his sarcastic spell on you. Sad! But don't cry. We ARE the government and carry more power than you think. Sarcasm and insults will get you nowhere. If you don't agree with what's happening, use your given ability to change it. We are all equal but not all motivated. If I wanted to ban this thread, I wouldn't think twice. That is not an option I plan to choose for now, but thanks for letting me know. Try taking out the sarcasm and condescending attitude and we can create a better place to agree or disagree. As far as government services go, they really don't protect you. It's an insult however, to protest ineffectively and causing further divide. Again, since when did insults prove a point or lead to accomplishment of a cause. Now, because Trump is disliked by his opponents, it somehow turns into a racial issue. BS! Perhaps an organized march would make more sense than insulting veterans every chance they get. The true patriots feel very strongly about their devotion to this country. Meanwhile, the libs and dems are still crying about losing the election and can't seem to move forward with life without trying to piss off anyone who opposes their agenda by discrediting and defaming anything positive and beneficial to our society. It's their way, or no way. More executive orders will prevail if it continues, and it will. Next?
Reno Mike
billryan
billryan 
October 1st, 2017 at 8:15:23 PM permalink

Go back some thirty years and you'll see the networks put a starting time of 1:05 and 4:05 in the tv contracts. That way, they would know exactly when they had to switch from their in studio coverage to kickoff. National Anthem was to be played at 1:01
Fast forward to the Bush administration and someone at Dept. Of Defense thought paying the NFL millions of dollars out of their recruiting budget would be cost effective. However, when spending this money they didn't just want the live audience, they wanted the television audience as well.
Sometimes you need take care what you ask, it can bite you on your ass.
Simplest of all solutions- Don't carry the Anthem on tv. Does anyone here get out of their chair when it plays on television?
How is that not disrespectful?
billryan
billryan 
October 1st, 2017 at 8:16:56 PM permalink
Quote: mikeabiomed

I'm having a difficult time with this BR. Last time I checked, it didn't matter whether the president was Black or Orange. It was MY responsibility to make things happen in life, not the government's. Whether the former president was Muslim or this one a capitalist really doesn't shape my beliefs. Therefore, I will choose not to say if I don't agree with someone, I would want them dead. How you feel is one thing. How you and AMS spew out hate towards our current leader on a regular basis tells me a lot more than that. As for this country's path, I personally don't want a little bully like "Rocket Boy" continually making threats on our country without consequence. We've come too far to allow his evil threats to materialize. BTW, did you know that after a hundred years, for the first time in history the Saudi's are letting women drive. To many, including myself, there is nothing "cool" about being president, unless you gave a "cool" apology tour to the world. It's time for us to grow up and get all of the facts before heaving out the trash talk. The very first post on this thread should have been banned. (it wasn't) From there it continued to mount into these hate comments. Anyone who thinks it's OK to knock or who hates this country is certainly welcome to leave for greener pastures. Lastly, do I agree with all of the political decisions we are currently facing? NO. This guy's only been in office over 8 months of the 8 years he will be around. Like the last guy, "Get used to it". Believe it or not, this is still America. Time for people to unite and not by bashing and disrespecting our freedom, flag, military and fellow Americans. Everybody wants to make a statement these days. "cool huh?" We can all do better. ID this!

You tell them, Mr Bunker.
boymimbo
boymimbo
October 1st, 2017 at 9:05:08 PM permalink

Perhaps an organized march would make more sense than insulting veterans every chance they get. The true patriots feel very strongly about their devotion to this country. More executive orders will prevail if it continues, and it will. Next?

On my way across the country last Thursday, I overheard a conversation between a 20 year air force veteran and a business owner. One person said, "I'm going to boycott the NFL for allowing the protests". The other guy: "We fought for their freedom, for the flag and the ability for them to protest and they have the right to do that.".

The other guy: the veteran. The guy who actually stood up and protected you, who understands that the flag is a symbol, and that the articles of the constitution, "We the people" and the amendments thereof trump the symbolism of the flag.

Inotherwords, if someone wants to insult and berate the president, they have the right to do so, freely. You don't have to like it. I would much rather prefer that rather than your CiC making comments that purposefully are meant to divide that he just tried to get the nation's business done., rather than going on narcissistic rallies on the taxpayer's dime. Rather than blame the players for reacting, how about blaming the president for calling black people "sons of bitches" and commenting on an issue (concussions causing serious brain trauma) that he clearly knows nothing about.

Factually, throughout his campaign and through most of his presidency, most of his claims (according to Polticact and most other factchecking organizations) to facts have turned out to be outright lies.

How is the wall coming? The one that Mexico is going to pay for?
How is repeal and replace coming? How is that senator in the hospital doing?
How is the violence in Chicago coming along? The violence that he said would solve on "Day 1".
How are the hurricane relief efforts coming along? Why is Trump calling the stories by CNN, WaPO and NBC being called "Fake News" when they are essentially true (aka there are thousands of containers of relief sitting on the docks in San Juan going nowhere).
How is Obama's birth certificate doing?

In my opinion, your president displays none of the qualities that represents the best of America.
mikeabiomed
mikeabiomed
October 1st, 2017 at 9:07:28 PM permalink
BR, Call me what you wish. It got your attention without an intelligent response. Classy.
Last edited by: mikeabiomed on Oct 1, 2017
Reno Mike
billryan
billryan 
October 1st, 2017 at 9:39:01 PM permalink

BR, Call me what you wish. It got your attention without an intelligent response. Classy.

If there was something worth responding to I might. The old "If you don't love our country , get out" shtick wasn't intelligent when I first heard it in the 60s and hasn't gotten any better with age. I honestly felt like I was reading a letter to the editor written by Archie Bunker in 1972 attacking anyone who didn't think Tricky Dick was the best thing since sliced beer.
Trumps wall is going nowhere. His health plan is gone., yet he still claims he has the votes for it to pass. His tax plan is DOA, the Federal Relief Action in Puerto Rico is, at best, not going as well as he insists it is. How is it we sent 400 helicopters to Haiti, but less than a tenth that to an American territory. We have numerous Nation Guard companies as well as active duty units who specialize in logistics and transportation. If FEMA can't distribute goods because the local truck drivers are taking care of their families why not deploy a unit or two.
In all seriousness, the President of The United States of America calls people sons of bitches for demonstrating the legal right to peacefully protest and you are okay with that. Sad.
mikeabiomed
mikeabiomed
October 1st, 2017 at 9:44:03 PM permalink
If the players want to protest, yes it's their right. It's my right and yours if we choose to not watch it. If that action doesn't solve anything what's next? Discontinue the Anthem? I'm not crazy about the melody, however, I would never disrespect the meaning. Yes, the Veteran you spoke with was speaking the truth but if you took a poll I would say more Vets would oppose the action. Football and boxing will always be under fire for its dangerously potential for serious injury and death. It doesn't give the players rights to protest on the field while under contract. Something will be resolved in the near future but it's difficult to say how this will play out. All professional sports survive because people support them. Time will tell. Like I said before, our president has only been in office less than 20% of his first term. Executive orders will prevail just as they did in the previous administration. Let's not discuss taxpayers money for presidential use. Obama and his extended family was king of the spenders. I believe Trump is donating his salary during his term (s).
Reno Mike
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
October 1st, 2017 at 10:02:39 PM permalink

If the players want to protest, yes it's their right. It's my right and yours if we choose to not watch it. If that action doesn't solve anything what's next? Discontinue the Anthem? I'm not crazy about the melody, however, I would never disrespect the meaning. Yes, the Veteran you spoke with was speaking the truth but if you took a poll I would say more Vets would oppose the action. Football and boxing will always be under fire for its dangerously potential for serious injury and death. It doesn't give the players rights to protest on the field while under contract. Something will be resolved in the near future but it's difficult to say how this will play out. All professional sports survive because people support them. Time will tell. Like I said before, our president has only been in office less than 20% of his first term. Executive orders will prevail just as they did in the previous administration. Let's not discuss taxpayers money for presidential use. Obama and his extended family was king of the spenders. I believe Trump is donating his salary during his term (s).

Kind of a mix of fact, rumor, and assumptions here, Mike. For one thing, the military is disproportionately black, brown, and female; I would assume they don't agree with Trump invoking their honor on the right to free speech. Or even appreciate being dragged into a fight as tokens. They certainly haven't agreed with anything else he's said in their name so far, especially him wanting to drop out of NATO, alienate our allies, or start a nuclear war.

As to taxpayer money for Presidential use. You will want to check the numbers before you make that claim. My understanding was that Trump had spent more by May than Obama his entire first term, and they're closing in on all 8 years now. Don't forget the cost of Trump NYC for the 5 months or so M&B refused to live in the WH, every weekend trips to Maralago or NJ country club, and extensive travel by the 3 adult children active in whatever they're doing.

Something that gets lost in these discussions is that Trump voluntarily ran, and accepted the job when he won. He's not supposed to take all that time off. The First Family is supposed to live in the WH. That's for their protection and cost savings doing it. But, no, screw the taxpayer 6 ways from Sunday: Trump and his cronies are so entitled.

As to Trump donating his salary: not happening. Now, or ever. Donating a million dollars personally to PR relief : not happening. Releasing his taxes on day 1 or any day: not happening. The time frame for all those promises to be kept has passed. Time now to understand how meaningless anything he says is.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
mikeabiomed
mikeabiomed
October 1st, 2017 at 10:03:49 PM permalink

If there was something worth responding to I might. The old "If you don't love our country , get out" shtick wasn't intelligent when I first heard it in the 60s and hasn't gotten any better with age. I honestly felt like I was reading a letter to the editor written by Archie Bunker in 1972 attacking anyone who didn't think Tricky Dick was the best thing since sliced beer.
Trumps wall is going nowhere. His health plan is gone., yet he still claims he has the votes for it to pass. His tax plan is DOA, the Federal Relief Action in Puerto Rico is, at best, not going as well as he insists it is. How is it we sent 400 helicopters to Haiti, but less than a tenth that to an American territory. We have numerous Nation Guard companies as well as active duty units who specialize in logistics and transportation. If FEMA can't distribute goods because the local truck drivers are taking care of their families why not deploy a unit or two.
In all seriousness, the President of The United States of America calls people sons of bitches for demonstrating the legal right to peacefully protest and you are okay with that. Sad.

Actually, I didn't vote for Nixon. But I did concerts for severely wounded Vietnam Vets in the late 60s. It was all we could do for them at the time when they returned without limbs. They were not treated fairly by the media but they did what they were sent to do. It was senseless and gut wrenching to see them in such a state. Keep in mind, we've had three major storms in succession and major earthquakes. It doesn't get mended overnight or as quickly as we would hope. AND, at the time, I was not a fan of Archie Bunker nor do I watch reruns.
Reno Mike
mikeabiomed
mikeabiomed
October 1st, 2017 at 10:14:43 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

Kind of a mix of fact, rumor, and assumptions here, Mike. For one thing, the military is disproportionately black, brown, and female; I would assume they don't agree with Trump invoking their honor on the right to free speech. Or even appreciate being dragged into a fight as tokens. They certainly haven't agreed with anything else he's said in their name so far, especially him wanting to drop out of NATO, alienate our allies, or start a nuclear war.

As to taxpayer money for Presidential use. You will want to check the numbers before you make that claim. My understanding was that Trump had spent more by May than Obama his entire first term, and they're closing in on all 8 years now. Don't forget the cost of Trump NYC for the 5 months or so M&B refused to live in the WH, every weekend trips to Maralago or NJ country club, and extensive travel by the 3 adult children active in whatever they're doing.

Something that gets lost in these discussions is that Trump voluntarily ran, and accepted the job when he won. He's not supposed to take all that time off. The First Family is supposed to live in the WH. That's for their protection and cost savings doing it. But, no, screw the taxpayer 6 ways from Sunday: Trump and his cronies are so entitled.

As to Trump donating his salary: not happening. Now, or ever. Donating a million dollars personally to PR relief : not happening. Releasing his taxes on day 1 or any day: not happening. The time frame for all those promises to be kept has passed. Time now to understand how meaningless anything he says is.

I'll do some fact checking on some of your comments. Wife did 32 years as an officer in Army. What do I know? Give me a bit of time. Thanks
Reno Mike
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
October 1st, 2017 at 10:58:06 PM permalink
I think Trump is about as patriotic as a lump of clay. Otherwise he would have apologized to all POWs for his "not hero" remarks whether they asked him to or not.

Also, the VFW and goldstar families did ask for an apology for his comments on the Khan family. Trump never made an apology. Again, he should have kept his mouth shut in the first place, but since he didn't, he should have apologized without being asked.

Furthermore, back when Bill Clinton ran, lots of people talked about Bill Clinton being a draft dodger for deferments. Hmm, Trump, did the same thing.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
billryan
billryan 
October 1st, 2017 at 11:52:48 PM permalink
Has any member of the Trump family served our country. I remember his grandfather getting deported for not doing compulsory service. Trumps father and his brothers were around for the wars.
RS
RS
October 2nd, 2017 at 12:50:16 AM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

Kind of a mix of fact, rumor, and assumptions here, Mike. For one thing, the military is disproportionately black, brown, and female;

This seemed a bit odd to me...

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2017/04/13/6-facts-about-the-u-s-military-and-its-changing-demographics/ --

Quote:

2The active-duty force remains largely male-dominated, but women have made inroads in recent decades. Overall, 15% of DOD active-duty military personnel are women, up from 11% in 1990. In 2015, 17% of active-duty officers were female � up from their share of 12% in 1990. And 15% of enlisted personnel were female in 2015, up from 11% in 1990. The share of women in the ranks varies significantly by service branch. Women comprise nearly one-in-five active-duty personnel in the Air Force (19%) but only 8% of all Marines. Women make up 18% of the Navy and 14% of the Army.

Quote:

3As the country has become more racially and ethnically diverse, so has the U.S. military. Racial and ethnic minority groups made up 40% of Defense Department active-duty military in 2015, up from 25% in 1990. (In 2015, 44% of all Americans ages 18 to 44 were racial or ethnic minorities.)

In the same year, blacks made up 17% of the DOD active-duty military � somewhat higher than their share of the U.S. population ages 18 to 44 (13%)[ Blacks have consistently been represented in greater shares among enlisted personnel (19% in 2015) than among the commissioned officers (9%). The share of the active-duty force that is Hispanic has risen rapidly in recent decades. In 2015, 12% of all active-duty personnel were Hispanic, three times the share in 1980.

Article also talks about age, education, as well as non-active personnel.

http://www.statisticbrain.com/demographics-of-active-duty-u-s-military/ --

< not going to bother quoting because grid is all messed up on a copy/paste >

The "article" above (basically it's just a big grid and showing stats without any articulation) also has stats on marital status, age, education, as well as %'s of people in X branch compared to the entire military.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demography_of_the_United_States#Race_and_ethnicity

Only thing that really stands out is women are severely underrepresented in the military (~14-15.3%) and that blacks make up ~18% of military and make up ~13% of population.

Of course, the only "caveat" which isn't really a caveat is that the demographics of the (The?) USA is based on all people, I believe, and not those in the "military age range" (18+ to whatever accepted maximum age there is). And the wikipedia stats are 2 years old.
MaxPen
MaxPen
October 2nd, 2017 at 1:34:49 AM permalink

Has any member of the Trump family served our country. I remember his grandfather getting deported for not doing compulsory service. Trumps father and his brothers were around for the wars.

Did anyone in the Obama family? As Hillary would say, "At this point what difference does it make?"

In regards to Obama, let me be clear, I am asking about US Military.
MaxPen
MaxPen
October 2nd, 2017 at 2:37:14 AM permalink

ANTIFA members call anyone who doesn't agree with them Nazis. If I had to place a wager on who was responsible for tonight's massacre it would be on an ANTIFA supporter.
billryan
billryan 
October 2nd, 2017 at 4:19:45 AM permalink

Did anyone in the Obama family? As Hillary would say, "At this point what difference does it make?"

In regards to Obama, let me be clear, I am asking about US Military.

Yes, they did. His Grandfather ,at a minimum.
billryan
billryan 
October 2nd, 2017 at 4:29:32 AM permalink

ANTIFA members call anyone who doesn't agree with them Nazis. If I had to place a wager on who was responsible for tonight's massacre it would be on an ANTIFA supporter.

The more I read your online persona, the less I can identify you with the person I met in real life.
sixsisters
sixsisters
  • Threads: 0
October 2nd, 2017 at 10:07:12 AM permalink
I am a Vietnam Era veteran, But if my daughter or son asked my opinion on enlisting in the US military, I would have to say NO WAY. Yes, I love this country. Now if there was a draft, that might be a different view.
But those who benefit most are lest likely to serve.
Boz
Boz
October 2nd, 2017 at 11:46:27 AM permalink

The more I read your online persona, the less I can identify you with the person I met in real life.

And while I have never met you, I hope i do get the chance at a future WOV event. I think you would find there are many reasonable successful people out there like me who are not the racist aholes you seem to think we are. Just hard working Americans who believe that the American dream is still out there for anyone and everyone who is willing to earn it.
boymimbo
boymimbo
October 2nd, 2017 at 11:57:51 AM permalink
People are much more civil to each other when they meet in person. It is much easier to hide behind a keyboard.
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
  • Threads: 57
October 2nd, 2017 at 2:39:51 PM permalink

And while I have never met you, I hope i do get the chance at a future WOV event. I think you would find there are many reasonable successful people out there like me who are not the racist aholes you seem to think we are. Just hard working Americans who believe that the American dream is still out there for anyone and everyone who is willing to earn it.

Speaking for myself, I feel Im pretty good at separating disagreeing with someones political views from disliking them as a person. Otherwise Id have to separate myself from all of my immediate family and kick my girlfriend out of the house.

In the one WoV meetup I went to, I got along just fine with multiple people who I disagree with here.
Boz
Boz
October 2nd, 2017 at 3:28:17 PM permalink
Quote: gamerfreak

Speaking for myself, I feel Im pretty good at separating disagreeing with someones political views from disliking them as a person. Otherwise Id have to separate myself from all of my immediate family and kick my girlfriend out of the house.

In the one WoV meetup I went to, I got along just fine with multiple people who I disagree with here.

I wholeheartedly agree. That is one of the many great things about this community. Everyone I have ever met in person are good people, while rightfully protective of who they are for valid reasons, are as honest as people come. A scammer would be easily called out here.

We may all have different opinions on the world but we are all good people. At least the ones I have met. And I am a better person for it. I hope we can have a beer sometime, we can all learn from one another.
billryan
billryan 
October 2nd, 2017 at 5:57:33 PM permalink

I have never, ever called you anything like that. Not sure why you would say that, or even think it.
rsactuary
rsactuary
  • Threads: 29
October 8th, 2017 at 11:36:16 AM permalink
Sen Corker today called the White House an "adult day care center" today after Trump lied about him in some tweets this morning.

Republicans are slowly but surely turning against the president and willing to vocalize it. Will be very tough for Trump to get anything done.
OnceDear
OnceDear
  • Threads: 63
October 8th, 2017 at 12:07:06 PM permalink
Quote: not rsactuary

Will be very tough for Trump to get anything constructive done.

There I fixed it for you.
Psalm 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Proverbs 18:2 A fool finds no satisfaction in trying to understand, for he would rather express his own opinion.
rsactuary
rsactuary
October 8th, 2017 at 1:03:03 PM permalink
That's fair.
billryan
billryan 
October 8th, 2017 at 2:32:43 PM permalink
Mike Pence flies out to Indy for an NFL game and is shocked to find players protesting the Anthem, which causes him to depart the game.
Saddest publicity stunt I've ever seen a Vice President pull. What's next? Trump show up at a Skins game?
rsactuary
rsactuary
October 8th, 2017 at 2:42:22 PM permalink

Mike Pence flies out to Indy for an NFL game and is shocked to find players protesting the Anthem, which causes him to depart the game.
Saddest publicity stunt I've ever seen a Vice President pull. What's next? Trump show up at a Skins game?

Word is that Trump told him to leave if they protested.
Dalex64
Dalex64
October 8th, 2017 at 3:14:08 PM permalink
Over 200,000 taxpayer dollars wasted in that pre-planned stunt.
RS
RS
October 8th, 2017 at 4:24:13 PM permalink
Quote: Dalex64

Over 200,000 taxpayer dollars wasted in that pre-planned stunt.

I want my 0.06 cents back!
ams288
ams288
  • Threads: 22
October 8th, 2017 at 5:22:22 PM permalink
Reporters who traveled with Pence to the game were told in advance he'd be making an early departure.

He flew from Vegas to Indiana to go to the game. Then left early and flew to California.

These idiots love wasting taxpayer money. I'm old enough to remember when righties made a huge deal out of it. Guess it only irks them when the President is black.
Ding Dong the Witch is Dead
  • Jump to: