1 vote (1.56%)

64 members have voted

lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 232
April 1st, 2023 at 10:42:32 AM permalink

I guess I gotta go with Kareem for greatest big man ever

6 Titles - 6MVPs - 2nd all time leading scorer behind Lebron

3 seconds left in a Title game down by 1 - he wanted the ball for his sky hook - had no fear of failure

a lot of people used to say Bill Russell was the greatest big man - 11 Titles

I can't buy it - as great as he was he was weak offensively - not a major factor offensively at all

they used to really get on Wilt about his free throw disasters - Russ shot .561 from the line lifetime

Please don't feed the trolls
GenoDRPh
GenoDRPh
  • Threads: 6
April 1st, 2023 at 2:57:39 PM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

3 seconds left in a Title game down by 1 - he wanted the ball for his sky hook - had no fear of failure

I can't buy it - as great as he was he was weak offensively - not a major factor offensively at all

they used to really get on Wilt about his free throw disasters - Russ shot .561 from the line lifetime

link to original post

Wake me when someone wins 11 rings like Bill Russell. He never needed to be an offensive force. He was playing with Cousy, Heinsohn, Ramsay, Havlicek and KC Jones. His job was to shut down the other team's offense and guard the basket with his life, Which he did...to 11 NBA rings. Wake me when a major factor offensively wins 11 rings.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
April 1st, 2023 at 3:10:33 PM permalink
Quote: GenoDRPh

link to original post

Wake me when someone wins 11 rings like Bill Russell. He never needed to be an offensive force. He was playing with Cousy, Heinsohn, Ramsay, Havlicek and KC Jones. His job was to shut down the other team's offense and guard the basket with his life, Which he did...to 11 NBA rings. Wake me when a major factor offensively wins 11 rings.
link to original post

Sam Jones won 10 titles with the Celtics
John Havlicek won 8
both are in the NBA Hall of Fame
does that make them the greatest guards that ever played in the NBA_______?

in Jabbar and Wilt you had 2 centers who were great both offensively and defensively

Jabbar led the league in blocks 4 times
he was named to the NBA All Defensive First Team 5 times - and to the all Defensive team 11 times in all

if your only measure of greatness is how many Titles are won - then I grant you - Bill Russell is the greatest

to be clear - I don't in any way dispute that Russ was truly great - I'm just making a comparative judgement

Last edited by: lilredrooster on Apr 1, 2023
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
April 1st, 2023 at 3:42:55 PM permalink
Jabar won one title with the Bucks, after they brought in Oscar Robinson.
He won several more with a Lakers team that featured four number one overall picks. He's second in points scored because he played forever. I'd rank him closer to Shaq than Wilt. I put Wilt in a class of his own. Walton simply outplayed everyone else, and Ming's body couldn't last long enough to be considered. I rarely watch the NBA or college basketball anymore so can't comment on the modern players. I saw the Nuggets were playing and wanted to see their star, but he took the game off and I flipped the channel at 4-2..
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
April 1st, 2023 at 4:46:06 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

. I put Wilt in a class of his own.

link to original post

before Jabbar people used to debate endlessly who was better Russell or Wilt

if you consider Titles won as part of the way to look at it - Wilt got only 2

his most dominant years were against very weak competition - there was Russell, Bellamy and Thurmond - after that not much - quite a few small and untalented centers

there are videos on YT showing Wilt against Jabbar - neither one could dominate the other

it's close - but I'll go with Jabbar -

DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
April 1st, 2023 at 6:26:19 PM permalink
Mugsy Bogues was the best player in the NBA. He was just unfortunate and always played against people taller than him. If everybody was shorter than him, we would revere him like we do Michael Jordan.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
billryan
billryan
April 1st, 2023 at 6:55:14 PM permalink

. I put Wilt in a class of his own.

link to original post

before Jabbar people used to debate endlessly who was better Russell or Wilt

if you consider Titles won as part of the way to look at it - Wilt got only 2

his most dominant years were against very weak competition - there was Russell, Bellamy and Thurmond - after that not much - quite a few small and untalented centers

there are videos on YT showing Wilt against Jabbar - neither one could dominate the other

it's close - but I'll go with Jabbar -

Much of Wilts career was when the NBA had eight teams. Russell, Bellamy, Thurmond means he played against a HOF center three out of every seven games. When the league expanded, you had Willis Reed, Elvin Hayes, Wes Unseld, Bob Lanier

link to original post

The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
GenoDRPh
GenoDRPh
April 1st, 2023 at 7:08:20 PM permalink
In 1959-1960 Wilt won MVP, and Russell won the title with the Celtics, In 1964, Oscar won MVP, but Bill and the Celtics won the title. In 1966, Wilt won MVP and Russell won the title with the Celtics. The list goes on. Who would you rather have on your team: a player who wins the MVP and sets records, but loses in the playoffs, or a player who brings him team championship victories?
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
April 1st, 2023 at 7:16:13 PM permalink
The best centers yet to be mentioned: Tim Duncan and Hakeem the Dream Olajuwon, probably the other top 3 defensive centers of all time with Russell, and the “dream shake” fadeaway challenging Kareem’s sky hook for most undefendable shot among them. The dominant big of an era that included prime David Robinson and Patrick Ewing.
billryan
billryan
April 1st, 2023 at 7:41:57 PM permalink

In 1959-1960 Wilt won MVP, and Russell won the title with the Celtics, In 1964, Oscar won MVP, but Bill and the Celtics won the title. In 1966, Wilt won MVP and Russell won the title with the Celtics. The list goes on. Who would you rather have on your team: a player who wins the MVP and sets records, but loses in the playoffs, or a player who brings him team championship victories?
link to original post

Basketball is a team game. You can have the best player but not win when your opponent has multiple Hall of Famers and you don't.
Russell was blessed by being coached by a Hall of Famer. Can you name me any of the coaches Wilt put up with?

The early 60s Celtics had eight or nine Hall of Fame players on them. The later teams still had six. Is it possible one or two of them had some responsibility for the titles, besides Russel? Bill Russel was the most dominant defensive Center of all time and Wilt was the best offensive.
GenoDRPh
GenoDRPh
April 1st, 2023 at 8:28:11 PM permalink
And defense wins championships.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
April 2nd, 2023 at 12:46:07 AM permalink

Can you name me any of the coaches Wilt put up with?

link to original post

yes; Alex Hannum was a great Hall of Fame Coach for the 6ers

the '67 6ers who went 68-13 during the regular season - 83% win % - and beat the Celts for the Title - were by far the best team of that era imho - the best regular season record the Celts with Russell ever had was 61-17

Wilt, Hal Greer, Chet Walker, Billy Cunningham, Wally Jones, Lucious Jackson - all of them great - they were so awesome

I've posted about this before, but anyway, the only other team to beat the Russell led Celts was the '58 St. Louis Hawks with the forgotten Bob Pettit - he was so great - he destroyed the Celts - got 50 on them in a Finals game - they were also coached by Alex Hannum

Mcallister is right about the other great centers - it's very difficult to compare players or teams of different eras -

Dave Cowens is another great center - he actually averaged more rebounds than Hakeem or David Robinson or Ewing - he was very quick for a big man

I don't like to admit it - but there is so much improvement in the play from year to year - that I believe the old greats would not be anywhere near so dominant in the modern game

UNC was ranked #1 in the AP pre-season poll and did not get invited to the big Tourney - they declined to enter the N.I.T. tourney

Last edited by: lilredrooster on Apr 2, 2023
billryan
billryan
April 2nd, 2023 at 7:29:41 AM permalink
Yogi Berra won the most World Series, yet I never see anyone insist that makes him the greatest baseball player of all time, yet people try to make that claim about Russell. No one ever makes the argument based on his stats, just on his rings.
Robert Horry has twice as many rings as Wilt, but I've never heard him mentioned as an all time great.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
April 2nd, 2023 at 7:42:22 AM permalink
People who claim Berra is better than Bench will use rings as the argument though. Now that you mention it though, Whitey Ford > Sandy Koufax.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
April 2nd, 2023 at 7:52:50 AM permalink

baseball is a game of 9 players on the field at one time in which the Pitcher has much greater importance than the others - generally

basketball is a game of 5 players on the court at one time - all 3 positions have about the same degree of importance

I agree though, that Wilt was greater than Russ, but not that he was greater than Kareem

billryan
billryan
April 2nd, 2023 at 7:57:17 AM permalink
Quote: mcallister3200

People who claim Berra is better than Bench will use rings as the argument though. Now that you mention it though, Whitey Ford > Sandy Koufax.
link to original post

I've never heard anyone argue Whitey Ford was better than Koufax., and any Berra/Bench comparison had to have been done over multiple adult beverages.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
Thanked by
Jimmy2Times
April 2nd, 2023 at 8:16:51 AM permalink

Wilt was not known for D - you don't hear a lot of people talking about his D

but he was truly great on D - he swatted down a hell of a lot of shots

he intimidated lots and lots of players - got to their heads

billryan
billryan
April 2nd, 2023 at 8:36:52 AM permalink

Wilt was not known for D - you don't hear a lot of people talking about his D

but he was truly great on D - he swatted down a hell of a lot of shots

he intimidated lots and lots of players - got to their heads

link to original post

I think it is subjective, but if Russell played on the teams Wilt did, I'd wager my life savings he wouldn't have had eleven titles.
If Wilt had had Bob Cousy and the Jones setting him up, and Red Auerbach coaching him, I suspect he'd have more rings than fingers.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
April 2nd, 2023 at 8:46:25 AM permalink

if a player tried to dunk on him or somehow got him mad - Wilt used to say to them:

"don't come into the paint again - or I'll knock you down on your ass"________________________(-:/

GenoDRPh
GenoDRPh
April 2nd, 2023 at 12:43:41 PM permalink

Can you name me any of the coaches Wilt put up with?

link to original post

yes; Alex Hannum was a great Hall of Fame Coach for the 6ers

the '67 6ers who went 68-13 during the regular season - 83% win % - and beat the Celts for the Title - were by far the best team of that era imho - the best regular season record the Celts with Russell ever had was 61-17

Wilt, Hal Greer, Chet Walker, Billy Cunningham, Wally Jones, Lucious Jackson - all of them great - they were so awesome

I've posted about this before, but anyway, the only other team to beat the Russell led Celts was the '58 St. Louis Hawks with the forgotten Bob Pettit - he was so great - he destroyed the Celts - got 50 on them in a Finals game - they were also coached by Alex Hannum

Mcallister is right about the other great centers - it's very difficult to compare players or teams of different eras -

Dave Cowens is another great center - he actually averaged more rebounds than Hakeem or David Robinson or Ewing - he was very quick for a big man

I don't like to admit it - but there is so much improvement in the play from year to year - that I believe the old greats would not be anywhere near so dominant in the modern game

UNC was ranked #1 in the AP pre-season poll and did not get invited to the big Tourney - they declined to enter the N.I.T. tourney

link to original post

I think that, with all the advances in sports science, nutrition and training methods, that there are some players of old who, with modern training methods, could do equally well today as yesterday. And there are some who were only successful because they stood head and shoulders above their peers at the time, but would not be able to do so today. Bill Russell was one of the greatest winners in sports ever, as well as Olympic qualifier in track and field. Same with Wilt. There is no reason to think that with their physical gifts, coupled with modern training methods of today, they would win today against today's competition.
GenoDRPh
GenoDRPh
April 2nd, 2023 at 12:45:36 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

John Havlicek won 8

in Jabbar and Wilt you had 2 centers who were great both offensively and defensively

he was named to the NBA All Defensive First Team 5 times - and to the all Defensive team 11 times in all

if your only measure of greatness is how many Titles are won - then I grant you - Bill Russell is the greatest

to be clear - I don't in any way dispute that Russ was truly great - I'm just making a comparative judgement

link to original post

At the time they played and then retired, Sam and Hondo were the 2 best at their position.
GenoDRPh
GenoDRPh
April 2nd, 2023 at 1:00:05 PM permalink
Did the Men's and Women's selection committees blow it this year, is there parity in college BBall or is it just sometimes that's the way the ball bounces?
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
April 2nd, 2023 at 1:30:12 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

John Havlicek won 8

link to original post

At the time they played and then retired, Sam and Hondo were the 2 best at their position.
link to original post

so Sam Jones was better than Oscar Robertson and Jerry West

come on man, get serious

Satch Sanders got 8 Titles with the Celts - that surely must make him better than Elgin Baylor - sure he is - no doubt

I get it - you bleed Celtic green - good luck to you

GenoDRPh
GenoDRPh
April 2nd, 2023 at 1:44:15 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

John Havlicek won 8

link to original post

link to original post

come on man, get serious

link to original post

And they've earned every drop of that green blood. You still haven't answered the question. Namely: Would you rather have a player who wins MVPs and sets records but loses in the playoffs. or a player who consistently beats the MVP winner and wins championships?
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
April 2nd, 2023 at 1:45:53 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

John Havlicek won 8

link to original post

link to original post

come on man, get serious

link to original post

And they've earned every drop of that green blood. You still haven't answered the question. Namely: Would you rather have a player who wins MVPs and sets records but loses in the playoffs. or a player who consistently beats the MVP winner and wins championships?
link to original post

I don't answer questions from you man
you go your way and I'll go mine

GenoDRPh
GenoDRPh
April 2nd, 2023 at 2:03:41 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

John Havlicek won 8

link to original post

link to original post

come on man, get serious

link to original post

link to original post

I don't answer questions from you man
you go your way and I'll go mine

link to original post

We all know the answer. It's okay. My way, sports victory-wise, is much more enjoyable.
billryan
billryan
April 2nd, 2023 at 2:11:38 PM permalink
If Wilt was coming up today, I don't know if he even plays basketball. I could see him as a UFC/WWE performer, making movies and being a man about town. Remember that Wilt walked away relatively young after a contract dispute to pursue a career as a professional volleyball player.
Wilt spent a year playing for the Globetrotters before joining the NBA. I've always wondered if he enjoyed playing a fun type of BBall better.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
April 2nd, 2023 at 2:26:37 PM permalink

Tom "Satch" Sanders got 8 titles with the Celts
Kobe Bryant only got 5 with the Lakers

Satch must have been a better player than Kobe

lilredrooster
lilredrooster
April 2nd, 2023 at 2:49:00 PM permalink

If Wilt was coming up today, I don't know if he even plays basketball. I could see him as a UFC/WWE performer, making movies and being a man about town. Remember that Wilt walked away relatively young after a contract dispute to pursue a career as a professional volleyball player.
Wilt spent a year playing for the Globetrotters before joining the NBA. I've always wondered if he enjoyed playing a fun type of BBall better.
link to original post

in his autobiography Wilt claimed he bada bada binged with 20,000 babes
I'd like to see somebody top that

here's another one from him that may never be topped - March 2, 1962 against the Knicks while playing for the Philadelphia Warriors - he had a relatively weak 2nd quarter - he only got 18 that quarter - the opposing Center was the legendary (NOT) Darrall Imhoff who averaged 7 points and 8 rebounds per game lifetime

that same year he averaged 50 p.p.g.

and he hit 28 of 32 free throws that night - 87.5% - lifetime he only hit on 51% of his frees

gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
April 2nd, 2023 at 4:43:30 PM permalink
LSU beat Iowa in the womens basketball championship game. First time using women refs in that game and many are complaining that the refs basically determined the outcome and prevented the best player from being showcased in the game.

Refs called Iowa's superstar Caitlin Clark for two offensive fouls on marginal plays in the 2nd quarter and then gave her a technical for doing this:

That one play gave Iowa's two best players 4 fouls with 16 minutes to go. Reportedly, one of the refs was furious at Cailtin Clark over something,

Caitlin Clark, the so-called generational superstar, spent much of the last two quarters on the bench or limited on the court because of fouls. People are complaining of strong assymmetry in how the refs called fouls, because they declined to call some stuff on LSU.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
billryan
billryan
April 2nd, 2023 at 5:49:15 PM permalink
I watched my first women's basketball game since my high school days today. I wanted to see the gunner from Iowa but got to watch the refs embarrass themselves with ridiculously ticky-tack calls. I'm not sure why, but I was really turned off by the LSU coach, especially her outfit. It seemed like the better team won.
GenoDRPh
GenoDRPh
Thanked by
vbnm4
April 2nd, 2023 at 6:07:18 PM permalink

Tom "Satch" Sanders got 8 titles with the Celts
Kobe Bryant only got 5 with the Lakers

Satch must have been a better player than Kobe

link to original post

What was their head-to-head record?
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
April 2nd, 2023 at 6:08:59 PM permalink

I watched my first women's basketball game since my high school days today. I wanted to see the gunner from Iowa but got to watch the refs embarrass themselves with ridiculously ticky-tack calls. I'm not sure why, but I was really turned off by the LSU coach, especially her outfit. It seemed like the better team won.
link to original post

The tech was awful, textbook example of an official inserting themselves into the game.

Mulkey does not seem like a decent human being. Was Brittney Griner’s coach at Baylor and refused to offer any public support during the Russia detention.
GenoDRPh
GenoDRPh
Thanked by
vbnm4
April 2nd, 2023 at 6:11:29 PM permalink

link to original post

in his autobiography Wilt claimed he bada bada binged with 20,000 babes
I'd like to see somebody top that

here's another one from him that may never be topped - March 2, 1962 against the Knicks while playing for the Philadelphia Warriors - he had a relatively weak 2nd quarter - he only got 18 that quarter - the opposing Center was the legendary (NOT) Darrall Imhoff who averaged 7 points and 8 rebounds per game lifetime

that same year he averaged 50 p.p.g.

and he hit 28 of 32 free throws that night - 87.5% - lifetime he only hit on 51% of his frees

link to original post

1962, huh? That was the year the Celtics and Russell won the title And Russell won MVP that year, too. Who had the better year? The player who dropped 100 points but watched the Finals at home on TV, or the player who actually won the title? Ig, that's right. You don't answer my questions. Afraid of the answers?

Willing to bet Genghis Khan can give Wilt a run for his money...
DRich
DRich
April 3rd, 2023 at 4:32:01 AM permalink

Did the Men's and Women's selection committees blow it this year, is there parity in college BBall or is it just sometimes that's the way the ball bounces?
link to original post

I would think that for the committee's to have blown it you would have to have a team that didn't make the tournament that you believe would have won it.
smoothgrh
smoothgrh
  • Threads: 88
April 3rd, 2023 at 8:09:23 PM permalink
I texted my buddy regarding the current Oakland A's-Cleveland Guardians score:

Oh wow. 6-5. Bad for blackjack, good for A’s!

And then:

A joke that gambling-obsessed people would get
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
April 10th, 2023 at 1:09:14 AM permalink

the Rays beat the Athletics by the same score - 11-0 - two days in a row

I don't think I've ever seen anything like that before - the same score - yes - but 11-0_____? - I don't think so

the link is an explanation of the the NBA's "play-in tournament" that decides who gets to the playoffs

don't try reading it before you've had your coffee___________(-:\

https://www.nba.com/news/nba-play-in-tournament

Last edited by: lilredrooster on Apr 10, 2023
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
April 12th, 2023 at 3:53:36 AM permalink

story of how the Memphis police and the NBA played softball with Ja Morant who has been accused of threatening people in several incidents and posed flashing a gun on Instagram

the most serious incidents involves accusations of punching a high school basketball player repeatedly - even after he fell to the ground - and threatening a shoe salesman in his store for some reason -

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2023/04/06/ja-morant-punch-teenager-finish-line/

in the Timberwolves final game on Sunday Rudy Gobert punched his own teammate Kyle Anderson in the huddle

don't recall every having seen something like that before

Last edited by: lilredrooster on Apr 12, 2023
avianrandy
avianrandy
  • Threads: 8
April 12th, 2023 at 6:26:26 AM permalink
I am not a baseball fan,but I seen this question last night that may be of interest to some. Other than Jackie Robinson's 42,what is major league baseballs most retired jersey..11 times...of all time?
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
April 14th, 2023 at 2:39:32 AM permalink

the Tampa Bay Rays have won 13 in a row to tie the record for most consecutive wins to open a season in the modern era going back to 1900

if they beat the Blue Jays in Toronto today they will break that record - no team in existence today has matched that

the 1884 St. Louis Maroons won 20 in a row to start the season

DRich
DRich
April 14th, 2023 at 5:00:44 AM permalink
What is impressive is the Rays have scored 101 runs in 13 games.
billryan
billryan
April 14th, 2023 at 6:26:49 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

What is impressive is the Rays have scored 101 runs in 13 games.
link to original post

They have hit more home runs than they have allowed runs. If they keep that up, it will make for an exciting post-season.
DRich
DRich
April 14th, 2023 at 7:25:44 AM permalink

They have hit more home runs than they have allowed runs. If they keep that up, it will make for an exciting post-season.

That is crazy. I didn't believe it so I looked it up.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
April 15th, 2023 at 12:54:59 AM permalink

former NBA star Shawn Kemp shot at people in a parking lot who he thought were messing with his car - no one was hit or injured
he's been charged with 1st degree assault

lots of negative stories re the NBA recently -

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/04/14/sports/basketball/shawn-kemp-shooting.html

Last edited by: lilredrooster on Apr 15, 2023
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
April 22nd, 2023 at 1:21:17 AM permalink

NFL suspends 5 players for betting on NFL games

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/36253087/wr-jameson-williams-four-lions-suspended-betting

Gialmere
Gialmere
  • Threads: 44
April 22nd, 2023 at 3:05:14 AM permalink

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/36253087/wr-jameson-williams-four-lions-suspended-betting

link to original post

Yeah, once upon a time this was a big deal. I understand the league's point, but considering they now so embrace gambling that you'll be allowed to bet in the stadium on game day, I'm just finding stories like this to be laughable. If they're worried about the integrity of the game they should allow--even encourage--players to publicly wager that the team they play for will win. Why not? They're encouraging everyone else to put their money on the line.
Have you tried 22 tonight? I said 22.
DRich
DRich
April 22nd, 2023 at 3:55:29 AM permalink
Quote: Gialmere

link to original post

Yeah, once upon a time this was a big deal. I understand the league's point, but considering they now so embrace gambling that you'll be allowed to bet in the stadium on game day, I'm just finding stories like this to be laughable. If they're worried about the integrity of the game they should allow--even encourage--players to publicly wager that the team they play for will win. Why not? They're encouraging everyone else to put their money on the line.
link to original post

The argument is that if players, coaches, and owners are allowed to bet on their games that they may make decisions that will help them win that game but may be detrimental to future games and the integrity of the team in the long run.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
April 22nd, 2023 at 5:00:10 AM permalink

if the players were allowed to bet on their own teams it wouldn't be fair - to other gamblers who don't have this kind of inside info

the player who is betting could know that the minor injury to the QB or star RB is not really bad - or that it is pretty bad - something no one else could really know

and there would have to be monitoring - to make sure they're not betting against their own team - the NFL doesn't need this kind of headache

it's not fair to the other gamblers - and why would they need to do this - they already make huge bucks

if they want to gamble they can bet on tons of of other stuff

Gialmere
Gialmere
  • Threads: 44
April 22nd, 2023 at 5:25:46 AM permalink
All I'm saying is they spent 100 years discouraging people from gambling on their league. Now they actively encourage everyone and their grandmothers to bet on the NFL at league approved (and sponsored) sportsbooks. And suddenly they're shocked, shocked, to find some of their players are doing just that. And really, when you consider all the shady stadium deals, all the stupid rule changes, all the game deciding penalty calls, I'd say the NFL integrity ship set sail years ago.
Have you tried 22 tonight? I said 22.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
April 22nd, 2023 at 8:55:50 AM permalink
Quote: Gialmere

All I'm saying is they spent 100 years discouraging people from gambling on their league. Now they actively encourage everyone and their grandmothers to bet on the NFL at league approved (and sponsored) sportsbooks. And suddenly they're shocked, shocked, to find some of their players are doing just that. And really, when you consider all the shady stadium deals, all the stupid rule changes, all the game deciding penalty calls, I'd say the NFL integrity ship set sail years ago.
link to original post

Well the NFL would disagree with you. The long suspensions are more proof that integrity matters to the NFL. Heck, the NFL suspends players not convicted of anything due to mere allegations.

Pre retirement, and also before I had access to my legal sports betting options, I would occasionally have inside information with regards to local pro athletes injuries. I was SUPER CAREFUL never to mention any of this to ANYONE before the game.

DRich pointed out the reason why athletes/managers/coaches cannot even bet ON their own teams….
Last night the Nuggets had easily beaten the TWolves. Up 10 or so with seconds to go. The standard is for the Nuggets to dribble out the clock, and then the TWolves do the same for the few seconds remaining when they get the ball. But the TWolves player took a last second unguarded 3 point shot which meant nothing….. except it changed the game from 10 to 7, and added 3 to the total as well. Literally millions of dollars changed hands (or could…. ) on a play like that!
  • Jump to: