boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
January 7th, 2013 at 1:41:19 PM permalink
I am a software consultant, and my eyes are usually glazed over by the time I start to explain what it is I do.
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 434
January 7th, 2013 at 1:50:17 PM permalink
Saying you sold a consultant business is a very good
thing to say. Most people don't know what a consultant
is, and they don't care. Tell them you were an animal
feed consultant, and they'll faint from boredom..
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
January 7th, 2013 at 2:18:46 PM permalink
deleted
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 434
January 7th, 2013 at 2:41:38 PM permalink
Quote: Ibeatyouraces

Here is another good one. Tell them its NONE OF THEIR DAMN BUSINESS!

Yeah, that is really a bad idea. You want to blend in,
not be remembered as a jerk.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 133
January 7th, 2013 at 3:40:23 PM permalink
If I'm playing poker at a location in which nobody knows me and there is a lot of table chatter going on I always participate because someone who is too quiet is often seen as a tight player. I generally lie about half of the details in my life just because, with bluffing v. playing your hand or playing for pot odds, I like to get in the habit of mixing truth with falsity and everything in between. That being said, I like to tell people that I am with the IRS because I want the maniacs to play even more maniacally in the hopes of taking down the IRS guy. If anyone asks for anything more specific, I just tell them that we're not really allowed to talk about it in any detail.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
January 7th, 2013 at 3:49:19 PM permalink
Quote: boymimbo

I am a software consultant, and my eyes are usually glazed over by the time I start to explain what it is I do.

God, this is so true.
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
zarg7883
zarg7883
  • Threads: 1
January 7th, 2013 at 8:29:17 PM permalink
You could try saying you're a salesman or sales exec. But somebody will inevitably want your card.

You could say you're an account exec at some big company like BofA, 3M, etc. Yep, sooner or later a dealer will say, "Hey my brother is also an account exec there! Which office are you out of?" Scratch that.

How about saying you are a civilian contractor at Area 51. No need to talk about it since it's "secret." You don't even need to produce clearances or government ID for the likes of them either.

You could also base your cover story on some place you used to work at. Easier to make up consistent stuff on the fly if you have to.

• Jump to: