EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 423
March 19th, 2015 at 12:05:42 AM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

They WANT to sell me a new dryer every 3-5 years; they don't want it to last another 20,

You get what you pay for. My paid a lot
for a pair of Maytag's in 2000, and they
are still going strong.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 300
March 19th, 2015 at 5:01:38 AM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

It is absolutely true that many things are built to a standard of planned obsolescence.

Babs, we have had terrible luck with appliances, replace them all the time, and btw a similar experience with dryers to yours. It's a miracle we have any money left. I swear if the media weren't so lame this would be a big issue today. In my book it's a scandal.

YES BY GOD I THINK THERE SHOULD BE CONGRESSIONAL HEARINGS!!
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!” She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 92
March 19th, 2015 at 6:15:37 AM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

You get what you pay for. My paid a lot for a pair of Maytag's in 2000, and they are still going strong.

Not always.

I bought a Philips DVD recorder back in 2002 for about $700; it went south on me pretty much one week after its one-year warranty expired. I replaced it in mid-2003 with a $450 Sony model, which is still working, although I rarely use it as it can't record HD and the tuner is now useless (I can set the timer, but it has to record the channel that the cable box is set to).

I also have a Maytag dryer that I bought when I moved into my current house in mid-2003 that still works; in fact, most of my appliances (refrigerator, range, microwave, dishwasher) still work just fine after at least 12 years.

There is one thing that does tend to go bad after 3-4 years; a TiVo box - but that's because of the lifespan of the hard drive. Once the price of Solid State drives comes down, the TiVo lifespan should improve noticeably.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 300
March 19th, 2015 at 6:24:56 AM permalink
Quote: ThatDonGuy

in fact, most of my appliances (refrigerator, range, microwave, dishwasher) still work just fine after at least 12 years

A - 12 years is nothing compared to the way things used to last

B - you have just jinxed yourself
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!” She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 310
March 19th, 2015 at 7:20:33 AM permalink
Quote: dummy

Am ithe only one who thinks that the stepping stones for womens iberation were
Power steering and the automatic transmission ?

Women getting The Vote was much more important.

Things really started to change when during WWII millions of women entered the work force for the first time; many found they enjoyed the ability to work (outside of the tasks of being a homemaker) and resisted returning to their traditional roles when the war ended.

Couple that to the increased enrollment of women in universities post-WWII and voila', a change in attitude.

You go, girl.
"What, me worry?"
tomanz
tomanz
  • Threads: 0
June 30th, 2015 at 5:50:18 AM permalink
Women getting The Vote was much more important.

Things really started to change when during WWII millions of women entered the work force for the first time; many found they enjoyed the ability to work (outside of the tasks of being a homemaker) and resisted returning to their traditional roles when the war ended.

Couple that to the increased enrollment of women in universities post-WWII and voila', a change in attitude.

You go, girl.

Totally agree with you.

• Jump to: