MathExtremist
MathExtremist
  • Threads: 88
November 8th, 2010 at 9:28:00 PM permalink
This article describes recent research into applying electrical currents to the brain to make someone better -- or worse -- at math.

Quote: article

Those given the current from right to left across the parietal lobe did significantly better when given, compared to those who were given no electrical stimulation.

The direction of the current was important - those given stimulation running in the opposite direction, left to right, did markedly worse at these puzzles than those given no current, with their ability matching that of an average six-year-old.

The effects were not short-lived, either. When the volunteers whose performance improved was re-tested six months later, the benefits appear to have persisted.

However, the article doesn't say whether the left-to-right induced dyscalculia persisted after six months. Can you imagine if you volunteered for a scientific trial that made you permanently worse at math?
"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
Kelmo
Kelmo
  • Threads: 6
November 8th, 2010 at 9:31:43 PM permalink
I've known this for some time now. I've been zapping my head since last September, 2023.
Paigowdan
Paigowdan
  • Threads: 115
November 8th, 2010 at 11:56:18 PM permalink
Quote: MathExtremist

However, the article doesn't say whether the left-to-right induced dyscalculia persisted after six months. Can you imagine if you volunteered for a scientific trial that made you permanently worse at math?

Stacy, that is such a walk-right-in comment...just itching for the punch line...I was tempted. "Then you be..... !"

Anyway, don't you and perhaps Mike feel, as mathematicians, that math ability should be fostered by discovery, hard work, application, etc..."the old fashioned way?"

I assume that the article means in terms of making flubs or not - based on what you have already learned. Give a typical high school student a bit of the juioce, he won't become Einstein, but it might help those involved with the discipline in staying electrifyingly sharp.

In that case, there is a market for another type of Kaplan's SAT / College Boards prep courses.
Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes - Henry David Thoreau. Like Dealers' uniforms - Dan.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
November 9th, 2010 at 4:11:11 AM permalink
Quote: MathExtremist

Can you imagine if you volunteered for a scientific trial that made you permanently worse at math?

One government mathematician underwent "electroshock" therapy for depression and claimed to have lost basic math skills after ward. Got a disability pension at age 26. I always thought there was some fraud involved in it though.
  • Jump to: