shakhtar
shakhtar
  • Threads: 13
November 24th, 2013 at 1:55:52 AM permalink
Simple game. 4 cards are dealt face down from a deck of 52. Aces are always high. Player turns over card of his choice. He then guesses if the next card he turns over is higher or lower. If successful, he guesses whether the next card he turns over will be higher or lower than the previous card he just turned over, and if he guesses right again, he guesses one last time if the last card left will be higher or lower than the 3rd card he turned over. All ties are losses. The player must guess correctly the hi-lo question 3 times to win the game.

Assuming he plays correctly, what is the expected % of times the player should win?

I don't know the answer, so I'll be impressed if someone can figure this out accurately via formula.
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
November 24th, 2013 at 7:43:54 AM permalink
Quote: shakhtar

Simple game. 4 cards are dealt face down from a deck of 52. Aces are always high. Player turns over card of his choice. He then guesses if the next card he turns over is higher or lower. If successful, he guesses whether the next card he turns over will be higher or lower than the previous card he just turned over, and if he guesses right again, he guesses one last time if the last card left will be higher or lower than the 3rd card he turned over. All ties are losses. The player must guess correctly the hi-lo question 3 times to win the game.

Assuming he plays correctly, what is the expected % of times the player should win?

I don't know the answer, so I'll be impressed if someone can figure this out accurately via formula.

Card Sharks is a reasonably close game to what you describe, if I am understanding your description correctly:

https://wizardofodds.com/games/card-sharks/
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 117
November 24th, 2013 at 9:35:25 AM permalink
I don't know if there's a formula, as you have to take into account what the earlier card(s) are, especially if the current card is an 8. (If the first card is a 3 and the second is an 8, there are 24 cards remaining that are higher than 8, but only 23 that are lower.) It sounds more like a brute force (go through every deal of 4 cards) problem.

If I counted these right, I get 35.0023% (2274240 out of 6497400).
shakhtar
shakhtar
November 24th, 2013 at 12:37:56 PM permalink
Quote: Mission146

Card Sharks is a reasonably close game to what you describe, if I am understanding your description correctly:

https://wizardofodds.com/games/card-sharks/

I'm not trying to be mean, but that is nothing like what I described.
shakhtar
shakhtar
November 24th, 2013 at 12:44:37 PM permalink
Quote: ThatDonGuy

I don't know if there's a formula, as you have to take into account what the earlier card(s) are, especially if the current card is an 8. (If the first card is a 3 and the second is an 8, there are 24 cards remaining that are higher than 8, but only 23 that are lower.) It sounds more like a brute force (go through every deal of 4 cards) problem.

If that's true, it's a little higher than I thought. Thanks for the help. Be curious if anyone else would get that figure and I'd consider it confirmed.
miplet
miplet
  • Threads: 5
November 25th, 2013 at 10:05:44 AM permalink
Quote: ThatDonGuy

Quote: shakhtar

If that's true, it's a little higher than I thought. Thanks for the help. Be curious if anyone else would get that figure and I'd consider it confirmed.

That's what I get.
“Man Babes” #AxelFabulous
  • Jump to: