pumapants
pumapants
  • Threads: 1
November 20th, 2013 at 4:48:50 PM permalink
Making a hand in Ultimate Texas Hold'em is usually the same way as regular hold'em, by combining the two hole cards with the five board cards and creating the best five card hand.

In New Zealand however, the rules for Ultimate Texas Hold'em (the same game licensed by SHFL) state that you must use your two cards as well as three board cards to make your best hand.

Given that the paytables are the same despite the rule difference, the house edge must be considerably larger. (ie you cannot play the board, eliminating many opportunities to win trip bonus bets.)

Ignoring the fact that it is probably an error, my question is what would be the best way to work out the house edge for this revised game, and would it be possible/likely that the Wizard might add this variation to his site?

Kind regards,

Puma.
tringlomane
tringlomane
  • Threads: 8
November 20th, 2013 at 4:56:59 PM permalink
Ack...sounds like a rough game.

It will be significantly harder to get your blind bet paid off, which is the main house edge driver. How long has this been on the floor? I can't imagine lasting too long with these rules.

And working out the house edge...ughhhhhhh. It would probably need to be completely redone.
98Clubs
98Clubs
  • Threads: 52
November 20th, 2013 at 7:15:58 PM permalink
It does look rough... even the Dealer is limited to "play both cards".
Some people need to reimagine their thinking.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
November 20th, 2013 at 9:22:18 PM permalink
Quote: pumapants

Making a hand in Ultimate Texas Hold'em is usually the same way as regular hold'em, by combining the two hole cards with the five board cards and creating the best five card hand.

In New Zealand however, the rules for Ultimate Texas Hold'em (the same game licensed by SHFL) state that you must use your two cards as well as three board cards to make your best hand.

Given that the paytables are the same despite the rule difference, the house edge must be considerably larger. (ie you cannot play the board, eliminating many opportunities to win trip bonus bets.)

Ignoring the fact that it is probably an error, my question is what would be the best way to work out the house edge for this revised game, and would it be possible/likely that the Wizard might add this variation to his site?

Kind regards,

Puma.

Seems to me, without the math, that since the restriction is on the dealer equally, that might be close to a wash on the ante. Where it really hurts is that the blind would pay a lot less frequently but lose just as often, and the trips bet would be almost unusable; you'd lose more than 3/4 of your odds pays with that rule, and be severely underpaid on the odds of anything you did hit. Can't imagine playing under those rules.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
  • Jump to: