scotty81
scotty81
  • Threads: 8
October 14th, 2010 at 6:29:05 AM permalink
Strip traffic has always been bad, but for the past several months it has gone to a new level. On several occasions, it has taken me over 30 minutes just to exit Flamingo East and get past the strip. Most of the problem is the South bound strip traffic backing up and blocking Flamingo when the light turns green.

Construction appears to be the main culprit, but my God - it seems as if construction on Flamingo and the strip has been going on for years now with no end in sight. And, the lanes are blocked at high traffic times. Several people have told me that this is being done purposely as a kind of passive/agressive strike.

Whatever the cause, it's starting to piss me off. Why can't an officer be placed at major intersections just to keep frustrated drivers from inching forward and blocking cross traffic when their light turns red?

Something's got to give. This situation is way out of control.
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. - Niels Bohr
Keyser
Keyser
  • Threads: 35
October 14th, 2010 at 6:54:34 AM permalink
They are installing new storm drainage lines. They had a documentary on Las Vegas Underground on the Discovery Channel about a year ago that showed what they were doing. It's a massive project that is costing billions to complete.
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
  • Threads: 88
October 14th, 2010 at 7:07:43 AM permalink
It'll be worth it. Anyone remember the photos of the cars washing out of the Caesars' parking lot back in the 70s? It was a stroke of genius to build the strip directly in the path of a flood plain.
"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
October 14th, 2010 at 8:26:45 PM permalink
One feature I'd like to add to the site is a map of all the side streets the locals and cabs use to get around. Until then, I recommend not driving at all the the Strip or major cross streets on a Friday or Saturday night. Get to your hotel during the morning or afternoon, or stay somewhere off strip.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
  • Jump to: