brownlunchsack
brownlunchsack
  • Threads: 1
June 10th, 2012 at 10:50:15 AM permalink
Hello everyone!

I am a frequent Vegas visitor, and always try to do something new each trip I take out there. I am going in mid-July with my wife, brother, and parents, and want to go somewhere fun with all of them that is unique to Vegas. We've all done things like the Pinball HOF, Hoover Dam, even been to the Pioneer Saloon out in Goodsprings. I'm hoping some of you here can point me to a fun 1-3 hour activity within a short (30ish minute) drive from the Vegas strip. Thanks everyone!
timberjim
timberjim
  • Threads: 33
June 10th, 2012 at 11:19:16 AM permalink
My vote is for Mt Charleston. I went at the beginning of August and it was 25-30 degrees cooler than in Las Vegas! The scenery is great and there are some great trails.
bigfoot66
bigfoot66
  • Threads: 54
June 10th, 2012 at 11:22:04 AM permalink
Roller coaster at Primm?
Vote for Nobody 2020!
Johnzimbo
Johnzimbo
  • Threads: 4
June 10th, 2012 at 11:54:18 AM permalink
If some of them watch poker on TV, hit up the Rio for the WSOP
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
June 10th, 2012 at 11:57:59 AM permalink
Sometimes Rodeo events are going on, that can be a real switch for some fun.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
RaleighCraps
RaleighCraps
  • Threads: 79
June 10th, 2012 at 2:35:35 PM permalink
There is a big time zip line attraction out there that looks like fun.
Always borrow money from a pessimist; They don't expect to get paid back ! Be yourself and speak your thoughts. Those who matter won't mind, and those that mind, don't matter!
brownlunchsack
brownlunchsack
June 10th, 2012 at 3:23:21 PM permalink
All good suggestions so far, thanks everyone! Not sure how feasible some of them are, we're just there for the weekend and don't want to devote a whole day to an excursion.
PhillyAC
PhillyAC
June 10th, 2012 at 4:07:03 PM permalink
Check out exoticsracing.com. They rent exotic cars for use on a road course at the Las Vegas Speedway. My Dad and I did it back in February and it was great. It is not cheap (runs about $50/lap with 5 lap minimum), but you can also just sign up for a ride in a Corvette ZR-1 driven by a professional driver for $99 (I think). But even if just one or two of you drive, the rest of the group can have a great time. Best thing is to sign up for an early drive time (9 am) and arrive early - since in the morning they have all 10-15 exotic cars parked outside and everyone can sit in all of the cars and take photos, etc. That was the best part of the day. It is also fun to watch everyone driving the course - as it was my first time on the track, I can tell you it is harder than it looks.

LVS is only 20 minutes from the strip and the driving moves quickly - with a 15 minute training session and then they move people through the laps fairly quickly, so 2 cars and 10 laps can be done in less than 2 hours.
ewjones080
ewjones080
  • Threads: 33
June 10th, 2012 at 4:33:38 PM permalink
Quote: PhillyAC

Check out exoticsracing.com. They rent exotic cars for use on a road course at the Las Vegas Speedway. My Dad and I did it back in February and it was great. It is not cheap (runs about $50/lap with 5 lap minimum), but you can also just sign up for a ride in a Corvette ZR-1 driven by a professional driver for $99 (I think). But even if just one or two of you drive, the rest of the group can have a great time. Best thing is to sign up for an early drive time (9 am) and arrive early - since in the morning they have all 10-15 exotic cars parked outside and everyone can sit in all of the cars and take photos, etc. That was the best part of the day. It is also fun to watch everyone driving the course - as it was my first time on the track, I can tell you it is harder than it looks.

LVS is only 20 minutes from the strip and the driving moves quickly - with a 15 minute training session and then they move people through the laps fairly quickly, so 2 cars and 10 laps can be done in less than 2 hours.

Now that sounds like something I'd like to do. How many people talk about buying exotic sports cars if they hit the lottery? Well not me, because I can't take advantage of the fun of driving it without putting myself into actual danger, and risk lots of speeding tickets. But I would still enjoy the thrill if I had an opportunity (I played Gran Turismo as a kid). This gives me the perfect opportunity. I just learned how to drive a stick less than a year ago though, so I could see myself not being able to handle the car.
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
June 10th, 2012 at 4:41:07 PM permalink
Quote: ewjones080

I just learned how to drive a stick less than a year ago though, so I could see myself not being able to handle the car.

Sounds like a reason to pick a car with a clutch-less manual & paddle shifters:-)
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
  • Jump to: