ireallylikepie
ireallylikepie
  • Threads: 1
June 30th, 2023 at 11:52:19 AM permalink
Hi all, (or Wizard if they are reading this)

I saw that the house edge for Spanish 21 listed on the website is 0.42%.

I wanted to ask if there is a significant difference in house edge between:

- being able to redouble once (2 doubles total)
- being able to redouble twice (3 doubles total).

Thanks!
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
  • Threads: 111
June 30th, 2023 at 12:20:04 PM permalink
Usually doubling works in your favor, but I may be mistaken based on another thread floating around today. But it doesn't mean you will win that bet. It works for your benefit in terms of house advantage, but it's still a variance enhancer and could boom or bust your bankroll depending on your bet levels. I don't usually see redoubles at my local tables, but I don't look closely. If I found a table with redoubles, I'd be sure to redouble according to the charts.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
June 30th, 2023 at 2:26:55 PM permalink
Quote: ireallylikepie

Hi all, (or Wizard if they are reading this)

I saw that the house edge for Spanish 21 listed on the website is 0.42%.

I wanted to ask if there is a significant difference in house edge between:

- being able to redouble once (2 doubles total)
- being able to redouble twice (3 doubles total).

Thanks!
link to original post

I have gone through the WOO site on Spanish 21 and also Katrina Walker's excellent book "The Pro's Guide to Spanish 21 and Australian Pontoon" and have not been able to find the answer to your question.

The difference in house edge between not being able to redouble and being able to redouble twice (3 doubles total) appears to be 0.34%. However, I cannot find any analysis of the redouble once (2 doubles only) case.

I suspect, based on hand waving arguments, that the Δ(house edge) between redouble once and redouble twice is in the range of 0.01% to 0.04%. But I have not done the calculations and this range is only a very rough guestimate.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
aceside
aceside
  • Threads: 2
Thanked by
ChumpChange
July 1st, 2023 at 3:35:43 AM permalink
The OP’s question is not mathematical. There are two kinds of Spanish 21 games, Stand-17 and Hit-17, which differ a lot in their house edges. The redoubling option is only available to Hit-17 games.
  • Jump to: