Mukke
Mukke
  • Threads: 9
August 29th, 2022 at 1:32:03 PM permalink
On our recent trip, my wife and I just barely made Platinum tier before checking out and catching our flight. I was literally watching the points in the app hit 200,047 in the mgm app.

I then went to the rewards desk and confirmed the upgrade to platinum while enquiring for any additional comps on the room bill. I got my upgraded card (confirming that I wasn't high or anything in thinking we made it) but they couldn't comp anything else. This was not completely unexpected, considering they had already comped 4 nights in a nice 2 bedroom suite in addition to some food and freeplay comps.

Anyway, we checked out, got to our flight and everything was fine and dandy. But when I then looked at the app, it now shows we have 199,626 tier credits and need "374 to maintain Platinum".

Has anyone ever experienced this?

Should I be worried? I'm mainly concerned that I somehow won't be qualified for the $600 air travel credit that Platinum would normally qualify us for.

Should I contact MGM Rewards? Should I contact my host? (I got an email from a person introducing them as such, but I have not yet had any interaction with her.)

Should I find a friend in Vegas to just have them earn me the missing points?

Lastly, for anyone outside Vegas who also goes to Vegas a couple times of year with a similar volume, do you have any recommendations on best way to get value out of this tier? Should I continue to simply book through the various standard offers they send in the email, or will I get better offers if I interact/negotiate with a host?

FWIW, when in Vegas, we tend to stay with MGM, the tier credits are earned through a combination of shows, fancy food, simple food, recreational slot play and slot AP.
darkoz
darkoz
  • Threads: 297
August 29th, 2022 at 1:50:29 PM permalink
It's possible you earned the credits as needed and they used some credits at checkout to cover part of your room charge.

You have the platinum card and confirmed by the rewards desk. I have never seen a same day upgrade reversed to downgrade.

(Well, once but that was because they became aware of an advantage play I was doing to earn the points.)
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
Mukke
Mukke
  • Threads: 9
August 29th, 2022 at 2:01:37 PM permalink
Quote: darkoz

It's possible you earned the credits as needed and they used some credits at checkout to cover part of your room charge.
link to original post

Reward points and tier credits are different. Tier credits cannot be "spent", so I don't see how the checkout process would have changed anything. Also, I checked out through the app, so there was no additional crediting taking place. In fact, I missed out on applying my rewards points this time, but they should still be around for next time.

Thanks for your comment!
ChumpChange
ChumpChange 
  • Threads: 111
August 29th, 2022 at 2:02:00 PM permalink
I always think some bot in the system is stealing points.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
Thanked by
Mukke
August 29th, 2022 at 2:02:21 PM permalink
I would call them and ask. Maybe they just haven't posted yet. At the properties I worked at, I would just advise the manager to adjust your account and give you another 1000 points.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
darkoz
darkoz
  • Threads: 297
August 29th, 2022 at 2:34:35 PM permalink
Was there any tier credit multiplier days?

I have seen where the multiplier doesn't show up right away in all locations.
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
  • Jump to: