pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
March 22nd, 2012 at 1:50:14 PM permalink
The initial review of Hunger Games are extremely good. With most of the teenage population of America planning to see it the first week, it is possible that it will appeal to a broad spectrum of people young and old.

The population of the USA is now 313 million people. Although Avatar came close with 97.3 million tickets sold domestically, no movie has sold 100 million tickets domestically since Titanic.

Any speculation? Do you think it will outsell the biggest movies of the last 20 years? Any adults planning to see the movie (with or without your children)?

48.0 million Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2
44.3 Transformers: Dark of the Moon
35.9 The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 1
52.2 Toy Story 3
42.0 Alice in Wonderland (2010)
39.3 Iron Man 2
37.8 The Twilight Saga: Eclipse
37.0 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1
36.8 Inception
97.3 Avatar
53.9 Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen
40.5 Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
39.3 Up
38.9 The Twilight Saga: New Moon
37.2 The Hangover
74.3 The Dark Knight
44.3 Iron Man
44.2 Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
48.9 Spider-Man 3
46.9 Shrek the Third
46.4 Transformers
45.0 Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End
42.4 Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
36.7 I Am Legend
64.6 Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest
37.3 Cars
37.0 Night at the Museum
35.8 X-Men: The Last Stand
59.3 Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith
45.2 The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
45.2 Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
36.5 War of the Worlds
71.1 Shrek 2
60.2 Spider-Man 2
59.7 The Passion of the Christ
44.2 Meet the Fockers
42.0 The Incredibles
40.2 Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
61.6 The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
56.3 Finding Nemo
50.6 Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl
46.7 The Matrix Reloaded
40.3 Bruce Almighty
35.6 X2: X-Men United
69.5 Spider-Man
57.7 The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
53.5 Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones
44.9 Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
41.4 My Big Fat Greek Wedding
39.2 Signs
36.7 Austin Powers in Goldmember
55.9 Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
54.8 The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
47.3 Shrek
45.1 Monsters, Inc.
40.0 Rush Hour 2
35.7 The Mummy Returns
35.1 Pearl Harbor
48.1 How the Grinch Stole Christmas
41.9 Cast Away
40.0 Mission: Impossible II
90.3 Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace
57.6 The Sixth Sense
47.8 Toy Story 2
40.6 Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me
45.7 Saving Private Ryan
43.0 Armageddon
37.5 There's Something About Mary
128.3 Titanic
54.6 Men in Black
49.9 The Lost World: Jurassic Park
39.5 Liar Liar
37.7 Air Force One
69.3 Independence Day
54.7 Twister
40.9 Mission: Impossible
43.9 Toy Story
42.3 Batman Forever
39.9 Apollo 13
89.1 The Lion King
78.5 Forrest Gump
35.0 True Lies
86.2 Jurassic Park

It's been almost two decades since Forrest Gump exploded on the boxoffice with little or no appeal to young people. While Passion of the Christ was an R rated adult movie, I think that a lot of Southern Baptists dragged their children to see it.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
March 22nd, 2012 at 2:07:49 PM permalink
Tons of CG, no thanks. The storyline has been done too often.
Fight to the death, yawn..
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
March 22nd, 2012 at 2:09:21 PM permalink
I've just read the first book. Not in any desire to see the film of the book I just read, plus I fear it might get a bit Twilight angsty teenage girl crush bollocks. Besides, I've seen Battle Royale.

Or Harry Potter daring deeds (couldn't stand the films, but that's cos I could only just about read the books without wanting to find JK Rowling and asking her if she actually read what she wrote, or just dumped the first thought on to the page... great story teller, awful writer).

I once read the Rainmaker on a plane. Finished it and turned on the plane TV channel. The film that was just starting.... The Rainmaker.

If it was 5 years from now, I'd probably think about seeing it.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
  • Threads: 51
March 22nd, 2012 at 2:22:20 PM permalink
I'd rather see The Lorax.
Someday, joor goin' to see the name of Googie Gomez in lights and joor goin' to say to joorself, "Was that her?" and then joor goin' to answer to joorself, "That was her!" But you know somethin' mister? I was always her yuss nobody knows it! - Googie Gomez
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
  • Threads: 262
March 22nd, 2012 at 4:29:55 PM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

The initial review of Hunger Games are extremely good. Any adults planning to see the movie (with or without your children)?

I enjoyed all 3 books (and I couldn't get
past the first couple chapters of the first
Harry Potter book, even though I tried
a second time a couple of years later).

So I am definitely planning on seeing it with
the family. I heard the NPR review, and
it was encouraging.
There's emptiness behind their eyes There's dust in all their hearts They just want to steal us all and take us all apart
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
March 22nd, 2012 at 4:37:58 PM permalink
The trailer looks OK.

I am looking forward to "Battleship" and "Prometheus:" good trailers.
"What, me worry?"
boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
March 22nd, 2012 at 5:11:57 PM permalink
150 kids in my child's school are going to the Friday 11am showing.
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
March 22nd, 2012 at 5:13:03 PM permalink
That's a great, table, Paco, but it doesn't show any trending analysis.
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
100xOdds
100xOdds
  • Threads: 641
March 22nd, 2012 at 6:06:09 PM permalink
Quote: MrV

The trailer looks OK.

I am looking forward to "Battleship" and "Prometheus:" good trailers.

Battleship, as in the board game?!
Craps is paradise (Pair of dice). Lets hear it for the SpeedCount Mathletes :)
pacomartin
pacomartin
March 22nd, 2012 at 6:11:40 PM permalink
Quote: boymimbo

That's a great, table, Paco, but it doesn't show any trending analysis.

First if all, I didn't even criticize your table of data. All I said was that I try to show something relatively unique that I don't see any other place on the web.
-------------
There are thousands of tables that show the biggest moneymaking movies of all time, which are weighted towards the recent movies because of inflation and 3D and IMAX surcharges.

There are many tables that show the the biggest movies by ticket sales of all time, and these are always weighted towards movies that were released before television, when movies were the only form of inexpensive entertainment.

There are many tables that show the biggest movies by worldwide ticket sales of all time, and these are weighted towards recent movies when the worldwide movie industry was highly developed, and there are more cinemas around the world.
--------------
I thought a table that went backwards from the present day through the years would highlight the rare movies that crossed out of a small demographic and into a bigger cultural phenomena.

There are about 40 million young people age 15-24 which are the core movie going demographic. A normal blockbuster sells 10-20 million tickets. Very rarely does a movie bring in ticket sales of 50 million, and much rarer that they exceed 70 million (like Dark Knight). A movie aimed primarily at adults (like Forest Gump) that was a mega blockbuster seems to be almost gone forever.

Titanic sold tickets at about 40% of the population. Now granted that took a year, and many people saw it multiple times, but it is basically something that engages the entire culture.

There are some people who think this movie will completely break out of it's core audience, and get adults interested. This actress is very gifted, and critics love the movie.

Most adults cannot bear watching a Twilight movie. I am surprised that the reboot of the Star Wars franchise sold 90 million tickets. I think adults bought the tickets feeling sentimental, and they did not realize how boring of a movie it was.
progrocker
progrocker
  • Threads: 4
March 22nd, 2012 at 6:13:08 PM permalink
Ender's Game just started filming and is due out next year with the kid from 'Hugo' playing Ender and Harrison Ford as Graff. Orson Scott Card has been very involved every step of the way. Better book for sure, hopefully better movie as well. OSC has specifically stated he is trying to make it look like their is little to no CGI (which means the battle room might use old school wire harnesses on a huge set to film).

I'll probably see Hunger Games eventually, but not in theaters.

Battleship looks terrible, and was filmed a long time ago and held back from release, which is never a good sign.

Prometheus looks AWESOME.
Solo venimos, solo nos vamos. Y aqui nos juntamos, juntos que estamos.
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
March 23rd, 2012 at 10:39:24 AM permalink
Anyone heard of the 2000 film "Battle Royale?" Hunger Games (the book and the movie) have been accused of ripping off Battle Royale, which has a very similar premise. I actually haven't seen it, but a bunch of my friends are going to a midnight theater showing this weekend, unfortunately I can't make it. On the Wikipedia page for Battle Royale, it is described by a critic as "Battle Royale is The Hunger Games not diluted for young audiences."

My favorite genre of films is post-apocalyptic, so I may eventually see Hunger Games, but I hate being part of a fad.
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
thecesspit
thecesspit
March 23rd, 2012 at 10:41:51 AM permalink
Seen Battle Royale. It's a similar concept, but without a lot of the conceit of a the futuristic world, or reasoning behind the battle. It just IS, and makes it point all the well for it.

Battle Royale 2 is an awful film.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
progrocker
progrocker
March 23rd, 2012 at 11:06:21 AM permalink
Let us also not forget the short story 'The Lottery', the myth of Theseus, etc. etc. etc. for the theme of social control via human sacrifice. The author of Hunger Games said she was directly influenced by Theseus story and the rest is just coincidence.
pacomartin
pacomartin
March 23rd, 2012 at 11:31:13 AM permalink
Quote: thecesspit

Seen Battle Royale. It's a similar concept, but without a lot of the conceit of a the futuristic world, or reasoning behind the battle. It just IS, and makes it point all the well for it.

Battle Royale 2 is an awful film.

I don't think that the author of Hunger Games has invented a new genre. Certainly the idea of a hedonistic vacuous society finding pleasure in blood sports where the combatants are drawn from a dominated people is as old as the Roman Empire. There is a long list of films about post apocalyptic societies that thrive on violent entertainment. The use of child participants is only a slight variation.

It's not a valid criticism of a book or a film to say the concept has been done before. The only valid criticism is if the author brings nothing new to the table.
zippyboy
zippyboy
  • Threads: 2
March 23rd, 2012 at 3:51:41 PM permalink
Quote: progrocker

Let us also not forget the short story 'The Lottery',

And let us not forget Stephen King's The Long Walk, where the kids volunteer rather than chosen by lottery, and are killed one by one by police rather that by each other, till there's just one left.
"Poker sure is an easy game to beat if you have the roll to keep rebuying."
pacomartin
pacomartin
March 23rd, 2012 at 5:43:54 PM permalink
Judging by Midnight Opening it is going to be a popular film, but not one where 1/4 of the population buys a ticket.

Top 10 Midnight Openings
1. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 - $43.5 million
2. The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 1 - $30.3 million
3. The Twilight Saga: Eclipse - $30.1 million
4. The Twilight Saga: New Moon - $26.3 million
5. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 - $24 million
6. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince - $22.2 million
7. The Hunger Games - $19.7 million
8. The Dark Knight - $18.5 million
9. Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith - $16.5 million
10. Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen - $16 million

The Harry Potter film was popular with the die hard fans. It made $1 in $9 on the first midight opening, and half it's tickets in less than 5 days.
EvenBob
EvenBob
March 23rd, 2012 at 5:58:16 PM permalink

The Harry Potter film was popular with the die hard fans. It made $1 in $9 on the first midight opening, and half it's tickets in less than 5 days.

The CG in HP movies was good, the acting
was atrocious for the most part. Harry's
two pal's, the dumb boy and the cute little
girl, can't act period. The adults were so-so.
But you know what they say about movies
heavy on CG and costumes. Let the props
do all the acting for you.
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
March 23rd, 2012 at 7:56:43 PM permalink

Ender's Game just started filming and is due out next year with the kid from 'Hugo' playing Ender and Harrison Ford as Graff.

Really? Ford is too nice to play Graff, IMO.

Anyway, I expect I'll see it. I just hope they'll stop there and not make any sequels.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
MrV
MrV
March 23rd, 2012 at 8:33:27 PM permalink
Quote: 100xOdds

Supposedly, but I really don't see the connection ...

battleship trailer

Looks like the kind of movie I really enjoy: an alien invasion flick made with an adequate budget.

No cardboard sets with this one, unlike "Plan 9 From Outer Space."
"What, me worry?"
duckmankilla
duckmankilla
  • Threads: 15
March 23rd, 2012 at 9:38:15 PM permalink
Quote: MrV

Supposedly, but I really don't see the connection ...

battleship trailer

Looks like the kind of movie I really enjoy: an alien invasion flick made with an adequate budget.

No cardboard sets with this one, unlike "Plan 9 From Outer Space."

Battleship is probably going to be terrible, but Brooklyn Decker is in the movie. So that serves as 2 very significant selling points for me :)
pacomartin
pacomartin
March 23rd, 2012 at 10:42:05 PM permalink
Quote: 100xOdds

Yes.
Battleship used to be played on pieces of paper.
Then it became a game with plastic ships.
Then it went electronic.
Now it is a CG movie.

Can a movie based on RISK be far behind?
zippyboy
zippyboy
March 25th, 2012 at 5:34:08 PM permalink
Okay, I just got back from this movie. Showing on 4 screens of a 10-screen property, I went to the 3rd showing and it was nearly sold out Sunday afternoon. I'm sure by now anyone who wanted to see it has, but if not, spoiler alert for the following...

I had read many reviews before seeing it, all touting the similarities to Twilight and speculating about its earning power, but I swear I don't think any of the critics had really seen this movie. Not one of the reviewers mentioned anything negative or that it was an exact ripoff of the 1980's Stephen King story The Running Man, made into the film starring Arnold Schwarzenegger in mid-80's. This movie should've been called The Running Girl, considering the shameless borrowing of plotline. The love triangle was lame, more like a flirting triangle if anything, or a "do-you-like-me" glances triangle. The actress who played Katniss's mother (Irish Paula Malcomson, who also starred in Sons of Anarchy and Caprica as Amanda Graystone) turned in the worst acting I've ever seen, unless she was suppose to play it emotionless and bland. Awful. I was getting a kick out of all the increasingly-ridiculous hairstyles worn by the elite 1% that ran the society though. Think of Alice in Wonderland with Johnny Depp.

Another spoiler: I was getting into the premise that once a year the ruling class takes 24 kids and makes them fight to the death for the sake of TV ratings. I get that. I was even buying the idea that in the 74 years the Hunger Games have been running, that they've had time to fence off several square miles of wilderness and placed cameras everywhere to catch the action. I'm even open to the idea the TV crew can alter the action a bit to increase ratings by starting a fire or parachuting in medicine to injured players, but when the crew is able to create vicious pitbulls out of the dirt with the click of a computer button, they lost me. Totally absurd. So the first 2 hours of the 2:20 movie didn't suck too bad, then it took a nosedive.

They talk in the beginning how important it is for the "tributes" to be well-liked on the TV screens so they can get sponsorship. Woody Harrelson is introduced as a mentor to advise Katniss in this. The sponsors are supposed to give the tributes things they need during the games like matches and knives, otherwise they'll have none. Yet, once the games begin, all contestants can grab a backpack (if they're not killed in doing so) which already contain these things. Katniss gets matches right away with no sponsorship. So they make a big deal about the value of being liked for gaining extra goodies, then there's no follow-through. Kinda lame.

Jennifer Lawrence was well-cast though I thought. She played it modestly, with integrity and strength. Someone worth rooting for. I predict an upswing in little girls named Katniss in the years to come. She was filthy muddy though 9/10th of the flick, then really cleaned up nice in the end, just like in the pics in that other thread. Donald Sutherland is holding up well, and I must restate the silliness of the hairstyles on the upperclass like Stanley Tucci and Elizabeth Banks.

Three more movies to come from the next two books in this series. Haven't read 'em. Don't care. Prolly see 'em though since Jennifer Lawrence is appealing. Does that make me a dirty ol' man?
EvenBob
EvenBob
March 25th, 2012 at 5:58:50 PM permalink
Thats funny, I thought Running Man when I read the
plot outline. I didn't know Woody was in it, worst
actor of the last 20 years. He's never believable in
anything, not even as a goofy bartender.
zippyboy
zippyboy
March 25th, 2012 at 6:05:58 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

I didn't know Woody was in it, worst actor of the last 20 years.

That's coz he's always stoned.

No different in this role. He came on as a dislikeable alcoholic, reluctantly mentoring Katniss with meanness and apathy. I guess he was a previous champion, although that wasn't mentioned. Then halfway through he's eschewing drink all the sudden which we're sure he hasn't done in years, presumably to dedicate his full self to Katniss (?). His haircut was decent though.
EvenBob
EvenBob
March 25th, 2012 at 7:38:09 PM permalink
He plays every roll with a smirk, like he's so
much smarter than everybody there. He's
actually not smarter than anybody there.
Why he gets so much work is a mystery.
konceptum
konceptum
  • Threads: 33
March 26th, 2012 at 6:46:40 PM permalink
I have not read the books, nor do I plan to. I have not seen the movie, nor do I plan to.

I have a friend whose 10 year old son's teacher has just announced that the class will be reading the book. My friend expressed concern that the book may not be appropriate for a 10 year old.

I understood the basic premise of the book to be that 24 children essentially fight each other to the death. This already seems like a bad premise for a 10 year old to read.

I also know that the book made this list for "sexually explicit, unsuited to age group, and violence". I figure the violence complaint has to do with the fighting to the death. What about the sexually explicit part?

I know that the book was written for young adults. What is normally considered the cut off age for young adult?

Bottom line: can anybody tell me if this book is truly appropriate for a 10 year old?
progrocker
progrocker
March 26th, 2012 at 7:20:46 PM permalink
The first book describes urine as being dark colored due to dehydration. The second book talks about a male tribute champion that was then prostituted.

The book is not appropriate for anyone because it's trash. The economy of the world makes zero sense, and I cannot get past that.
zippyboy
zippyboy
March 26th, 2012 at 8:25:32 PM permalink

The first book describes urine as being dark colored due to dehydration. The second book talks about a male tribute champion that was then prostituted.

ooohhhhh, that's terrible! We cannot expose our youth to such terribleness! Urine! Oh no!
pacomartin
pacomartin
March 26th, 2012 at 8:37:36 PM permalink
Quote: konceptum

I have a friend whose 10 year old son's teacher has just announced that the class will be reading the book. My friend expressed concern that the book may not be appropriate for a 10 year old.

Rated PG-13: Parents Are Strongly Cautioned to Give Special Guidance for Attendance of Children Under 13 – Some Material may be Inappropriate for Children Under 13.

I realize the book and the movie are two different things, but if you read the book, you will want to see the movie. I read that the final book in the trilogy is particularly bloody. Once again the same problem is if you let a kid read the first book, he may want to finish the series.

The film rating system went into effect when I was age 11, but the movies I saw when I was 10 were
The Love Bug
The Jungle Book
2001: A Space Odyssey
Oliver!
Planet of the Apes
Yours, Mine, and Ours (Lucille Ball, Henry Fonda)
Charly (Cliff Robertson)
Once Upon a Time in the West (Henry Fonda, Charles Bronson)
Wait Until Dark ( Audrey Hepburn )

My parents would never let me see Rosemary's Baby, or Night of the Living Dead. I know that those are basically TV movies today. Wait Until Dark was my idea of a scary movie.
MrV
MrV
March 26th, 2012 at 8:40:43 PM permalink
Whatever you do, don't let the young ones read The Bible.

Lot of sex and violence in that old tome: no wonder it's been a best seller.

And that crucifxion scene ...
"What, me worry?"
EvenBob
EvenBob
March 26th, 2012 at 8:44:02 PM permalink
You didn't see Bullitt or The Producers or Hang em High
or Ice Station Zebra, Howard Hughes favorite movie of
all time? Please, you must have seen Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.
zippyboy
zippyboy
March 26th, 2012 at 9:08:02 PM permalink
I saw A Clockwork Orange at the midnight movie in high school....loved it! uummmm, I mean I loved the soundtrack. Saw it over and over, then read the book, never did me any harm. Can't shelter the little 'uns from evil forever ya know. Kids in the old days were exposed to death from plague, killing chickens for Sunday dinner and sleeping with their parents in their one-room cabin in the woods. Who the hell cares if a 10-year old sees pee on the big screen? Jesus, people.
WongBo
WongBo
  • Threads: 62
March 26th, 2012 at 9:16:41 PM permalink
ten year olds are more mature than you think...

Ten Year Old Gives Birth to Baby Boy

10-Year-Old Accidentally Creates New Molecule in Science Class

Ten Year Old Murders Several Children
In a bet, there is a fool and a thief. - Proverb.
pacomartin
pacomartin
March 26th, 2012 at 10:24:07 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

You didn't see Bullitt or The Producers or Hang em High or Ice Station Zebra, Howard Hughes favorite movie of all time? Please, you must have seen Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

I was too young for the first three. I turned 11 before CCBB (I was trying to restrict it to age 10).

Spider Man (about 10 years ago) changed the movie business so that the first weekend was very important. After Spiderman, the first weekend sometimes meant a large percentage of the total box office sales. The Twlight movies sell half their tickets the first weekend.

Millions Name Box Office % Open
22.1 The Dark Knight 29.7% 18-Jul-2008
22.0 Spider-Man 3 44.9% 4-May-2007
21.3 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 44.4% 15-Jul-2011
20.7 Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest 32.0% 7-Jul-2006
19.8 Spider-Man 28.4% 3-May-2002
19.5 The Hunger Games
18.8 The Twilight Saga: New Moon 48.2% 20-Nov-2009
17.7 Shrek the Third 37.7% 18-May-2007
17.6 The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 1 49.1% 18-Nov-2011
17.4 Shrek 2 24.5% 19-May-2004
progrocker
progrocker
March 26th, 2012 at 11:05:23 PM permalink

The film rating system went into effect when I was age 11, but the movies I saw when I was 10 were

Romeo and Juliet

The 1968 version? That had nudity in it (and teenagers at that). Not bad for what was at first rated G.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romeo_and_Juliet_%281968_film%29#Controversial_rating_distinctions
pacomartin
pacomartin
March 26th, 2012 at 11:50:54 PM permalink

The 1968 version? That had nudity in it (and teenagers at that). Not bad for what was at first rated G.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romeo_and_Juliet_%281968_film%29#Controversial_rating_distinctions

Actually, that movie did come out after I turned 11. The ratings system was only a few weeks old when that movie was released, so they probably had more discretion. Brief nudity in high art is usually treated differently by censors. I've seen operas with brief nudity, as well as theatre in London. Even PBS will sometimes have a topless woman, whereas you never see that on regular broadcast TV.
pacomartin
pacomartin
March 27th, 2012 at 1:34:40 PM permalink
Well the Hunger Games made $10 million on their fourth day, far short of the Dark Knight's $24 million. So it looks like Batman's position in the record books is not going to be challenged.

I know it's been 4 years since the Dark Knight was released, but I thought it would kill the Fremont Street Experience. The FSE seems so chintzy compared TDK, that I wonder how it lasts.
pacomartin
pacomartin
March 27th, 2012 at 2:55:03 PM permalink
Jennifer Lawrence will probably receive $1 million when bonuses are included for her role in Hunger Games

The first actor to be paid $1 million for a single film was
William Holden in 1957 for "Bridge over the River Kwai" $250,000 + 10% of the gross (World-wide) which added up to over a million dollars
Marlon Brando was paid $1 million salary in The Fugitive Kind (1960)
The first actress to be paid $1 million for a single film was Elizabeth Taylor in 1963 for "Cleopatra"

The first actor to be paid $1 million for his first film was Eddie Murphy in 1982 for "48 Hours"

I don't know if any actress has ever been paid $1 million for a fist film. The "Hunger Games" is the 8th movie for the 21 year old Jennifer Lawrence, although she played supporting roles in most of them. To be honest, I have never heard of an actress getting a lead role in a film in her first picture.
QuadDeuces
QuadDeuces
  • Threads: 25
March 27th, 2012 at 2:57:19 PM permalink
Quote:

I don't know if any actress has ever been paid $1 million for a fist film.

I doubt it.
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 46
March 27th, 2012 at 3:05:43 PM permalink

... ever been paid $1 million for a fist film.

(emphasis added)

There probably haven't been all that many previous opportunities in this category for an actress.
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
  • Threads: 262
March 27th, 2012 at 3:06:19 PM permalink
Quote: QuadDeuces

I doubt it.

Yeah, I'm guessing that's kind of a niche
audience.
There's emptiness behind their eyes There's dust in all their hearts They just want to steal us all and take us all apart
thecesspit
thecesspit
March 27th, 2012 at 4:16:30 PM permalink

I don't know if any actress has ever been paid $1 million for a fist film. The "Hunger Games" is the 8th movie for the 21 year old Jennifer Lawrence, although she played supporting roles in most of them. To be honest, I have never heard of an actress getting a lead role in a film in her first picture.

Emma Watson, in the first Harry Potter film was one of the billed stars, I think. I have no idea how much she got paid for it (probably not a million bucks for the first one). At one point, and maybe she still is, she had some ridiculous metric for box office money made/films been in ratio for any actress who'd been in multiple films. But that's cos she had 8 smashes in a row from one of the most bankable franchises ever.
pacomartin
pacomartin
March 27th, 2012 at 4:54:05 PM permalink

Emma Watson, in the first Harry Potter film was one of the billed stars, I think. I have no idea how much she got paid for it (probably not a million bucks for the first one). At one point, and maybe she still is, she had some ridiculous metric for box office money made/films been in ratio for any actress who'd been in multiple films. But that's cos she had 8 smashes in a row from one of the most bankable franchises ever.

Emma Watson has by far the highest box office money made/films been in ratio for any actor or actress. It's higher than her co-stars because her original deviation from the franchise was "The Tale of Despereaux", an animated film that made more money than the art films Daniel Radcliffe and Rupert Grint made.

For actresses, Emma Watson has been in cumulative higher grossing films than any other actress except
Cameron Diaz (Shrek films) and
Julia Roberts (the only actress to star in 11 non-animated films that broke $100 million domestically).

But none of the child actors were paid million dollar salaries for the first film. They were paid far less (a few hundred thousand), but I think they all got million dollars or more for the second film. But they were making $20-$25 million per film before they were age 21.
thecesspit
thecesspit
March 27th, 2012 at 5:03:20 PM permalink
Yeah, but she was a female actress who starred in her first film :)

I don't think I'd call Rupert Grint's "Thunderpants" art house... ;)
pacomartin
pacomartin
March 27th, 2012 at 6:30:44 PM permalink

Yeah, but she was a female actress who starred in her first film :)

I suppose you are correct. I guess I wasn't thinking of child actors.

Since, "It Takes Two" was produced by Dualstar, which Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen had a substantial interest in, and the movie made $19 million, they may have made a million dollars apiece at the age of 9. No one knows as the private company doesn't publish financial statements. But since the movie was built around them, you would have to call them the leading roles.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
March 29th, 2012 at 12:19:00 AM permalink
I just saw The Hunger Games and thought it was very good. I'd give it an 8.5 on the 0 to 10 scale. There should be no comparisons made to the Twilight Movies. Both involve a mostly young cast, but the comparisons should end there. I could stand only about 15 minutes of the first Twilight movie before I fell asleep. I don't really care who the target audience is, HG told a compelling story and told it well. Yes, we can all name other gladiator-type movies, but I don't think the market is so saturated with them, like vampire movies, to not go for that reason. I've never seen or read a story remotely close to this one. Special praise is worthy of Jennifer Lawrence whose performance was so captivating I forgot I was in a movie most of the time.

I hope this thread isn't keeping anyone from seeing the movie. It seems to me the two people doing the most criticizing have not seen it.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
pacomartin
pacomartin
March 29th, 2012 at 6:05:26 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Special praise is worthy of Jennifer Lawrence whose performance was so captivating I forgot I was in a movie most of the time.

Even reviewers who are very critical of the movie, can't say enough wonderful things about Jennifer Lawrence. I didn't see Winter's Bone, but people said she was amazing in that movie.

She had a minor part in X-Men: First Class, which was good, but she didn't have many lines.

Quote: David Edelsteing; New York Magazine

The Hunger Games has two great assets: the score by James Newton Howard, which manages to be at once thrilling and plaintive, and the Katniss of Jennifer Lawrence. The actress is not a conventionally chiseled Hollywood ingenue or a trained action star. But there’s a steadiness in her blue eyes that makes her riveting.

zippyboy
zippyboy
March 29th, 2012 at 6:46:58 AM permalink

It seems to me the two people doing the most criticizing have not seen it.

I was enjoying the film, until they created monster pitbulls at the snap of their fingers out of the dirt in the field. Then I rolled my eyes and thought "oh geeeez. One of those movies." Lawrence was great though. Tucci was great. The Reaping was great.
progrocker
progrocker
March 29th, 2012 at 6:53:01 AM permalink

I hope this thread isn't keeping anyone from seeing the movie. It seems to me the two people doing the most criticizing have not seen it.

If one of those two people is me I want to be clear I'm talking about the books when I called it 'trash'. By all accounts I hear the movie is much better and I do plan on eventually seeing it (despite the ludicrous economic background of the HG universe).
  • Jump to: