30 members have voted

Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1494
Thanked by
Zuga
September 3rd, 2018 at 4:46:04 PM permalink
Perhaps this would be more appropriate as a blog entry, but so many have expressed interest in Burning Man that I am making this thread about it.

As many of you know, I just returned from Burning Man. As everyone who has been there has said, it is a difficult experience to describe. Hopefully the video I am hot-linking to below will give you a sense of what my experience was like. This is just my experience. People go for so many different reasons and time only allows you to scratch the surface of the countless things to see and do.

At this time, I am soliciting questions about Burning Man and plan to answer them in a separate video.

One request I'm sure to get is pictures of the hundreds of naked women that freely walked about. There is an unwritten rule at BM against taking photos or videos of people, especially unclothed, without permission. Everyone there seemed to have great respect for the rules, both written and unwritten, including me. So, you won't see any from me.

I'll let this video speak for itself as a good way to get the conversation started.

Direct: https://youtu.be/6O7a5bOMWN8

The question for the poll is would you be interested in a WoV Burning Man trip? Please be advised that the cost per person of the ticket, share of shared supplies, RV rental, and other miscellaneous expenses will be about $4,000. This does not include your travel expenses to get to Reno and your personal supplies.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
September 3rd, 2018 at 6:30:07 PM permalink
thanks for sharing. One comment would be to leave the words up longer. I wasn't able to read everything and when I tried to reverse it I ended up way past it. I guess I could have paused it but would prefer to just watch it as is.

1. What do you actually do for 4 days? Other than drink (or get high if thats your thing) and just walk around I couldn't imagine being stuck there for 4 days.

2. Are a lot of the structures there year round. The place where the man is seems like it might be permanent.

3. Is there a police presence? I read there were 43 arrests but not sure if that was from people visiting reno after the event or if they were patrolling the event.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 14
September 3rd, 2018 at 6:33:49 PM permalink
Nice video. Thanks for posting. I agree with GWAE regarding leaving the words up longer.

1) How did the reality of BM match your expectations?

2) What would you do differently if you went again? What supplies or items did you wish you brought this year but didn’t.

3) What one thing sticks in your mind the most from your trip? Good or bad or just surreal.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
September 3rd, 2018 at 6:53:38 PM permalink
Quote: GWAE

thanks for sharing. One comment would be to leave the words up longer. I wasn't able to read everything and when I tried to reverse it I ended up way past it. I guess I could have paused it but would prefer to just watch it as is.

You're welcome. Everybody tells me to keep YouTube videos short, so I kept most pictures up for five seconds. The captions were not meant as required reading, but a little extra information if the viewer was interested. However, your point is well taken.

Quote:

1. What do you actually do for 4 days? Other than drink (or get high if thats your thing) and just walk around I couldn't imagine being stuck there for 4 days.

Four days isn't nearly enough. There were so many things to see and do the hard question was what not to do. They gave you a guidebook when entering of official activities and at any given time there were about 40 to choose from. Or you could just wander around and sure to find some adventure. Trust me, boredom is not a problem if you venture out and open to meeting new people and new experiences. If you just sit in your RV most of the time, as some do, then, yes, four days might be too many.

Quote:

2. Are a lot of the structures there year round. The place where the man is seems like it might be permanent.

The "man" and the structure under it were completely burned Saturday night. I think work on that 747 began months before Burning Man. However, the general rule is that everything must be removed or burned after it is over. My older daughter lives in Reno and some people she knows had jobs prepping the area for the event, but what they did, I don't know. My short answer is that I think everything left is supposed to be removed.

Quote:

3. Is there a police presence? I read there were 43 arrests but not sure if that was from people visiting reno after the event or if they were patrolling the event.

Yes. The only normal vehicles you saw were police from various agencies. Upon leaving there was a mobile sign saying to report BM crimes and gave a phone number. I was wondering myself about crime there. I've heard bike theft, or "borrowing without permission" is an issue. More seriously, they make a huge deal about verbal consent before engaging in sexual activity, so I assume that rape is an issue. I fear that BM may be ruined once criminal elements are more aware of it.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
September 3rd, 2018 at 6:57:31 PM permalink
Quote: unJon

Nice video. Thanks for posting. I agree with GWAE regarding leaving the words up longer.

1) How did the reality of BM match your expectations?

2) What would you do differently if you went again? What supplies or items did you wish you brought this year but didn’t.

3) What one thing sticks in your mind the most from your trip? Good or bad or just surreal.

These are very good questions, thank you. I think I'll leave my answers for my "Ask the Wizard about Burning Man" video.

Feel free to keep more questions coming!
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
September 3rd, 2018 at 6:57:41 PM permalink

thanks for sharing. One comment would be to leave the words up longer.

Plus 1 - a little more leisurely pace on the words. (sticking them in between on a black screen like a silent movie is okay too if the segment recorded is too short)

The whole appearance of the area reminds me of the set of a Mad Max movie, only I guess the hippies won.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
September 3rd, 2018 at 7:01:07 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

The whole appearance of the area reminds me of the set of a Mad Max movie, only I guess the hippies won.

Good observation. In the video I posted before I went I was stressed out about what to wear, especially regarding a robot costume. I'll answer this in more depth in my follow-up video.
wrxrob
wrxrob
  • Threads: 8
September 3rd, 2018 at 7:43:33 PM permalink
Is fully nudity allowed at all times? Male and Female?

I go to Fantasy Fest in Key West as much as possible, and while they generally allow topless nudity at all times, usually only the females can get away with bottomless nudity at night, and the males pretty much never. Burning Man is still on my bucket list.

If you've been in the past, what has improved over the years, and what has gotten worse?
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
September 3rd, 2018 at 7:50:07 PM permalink
Welcome back.

I hope the experience opened your eyes and mind.

Will your next video show the man going up in flames?

Burn, baby, burn.
"What, me worry?"
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
Thanked by
wrxrob
September 3rd, 2018 at 7:52:37 PM permalink
Quote: wrxrob

Is fully nudity allowed at all times? Male and Female?

Absolutely! You will see countless number of nude men and topless women. Some women go totally nude out in public, but not that many.

Quote:

I go to Fantasy Fest in Key West as much as possible, and while they generally allow topless nudity at all times, usually only the females can get away with bottomless nudity at night, and the males pretty much never. Burning Man is still on my bucket list.

Keep it on that Bucket List. I get the impression that BM is becoming too big and there are too many people who don't participate, that I would go as soon as you can. I know some people that used to go, but quit, because it "isn't what it used to be." These jaded old-timers sometimes call what it has become "burning meh."

Quote:

If you've been in the past, what has improved over the years, and what has gotten worse?

This is my first time, so can't compare. Forum member MichaelBluejay has been many times, and quit, so I hope he can comment on the evolution of the event.
MaxPen
MaxPen
  • Threads: 13
Thanked by
RS
September 4th, 2018 at 12:28:33 AM permalink
The organizers are raping participants. $1200 for that is nuts. I had no idea that there were so few supplied amenities. I'm sure it was a different experience but I can think of a lot better things to do with the resources needed to attend that extravaganza.
RogerKint
RogerKint
  • Threads: 15
September 4th, 2018 at 1:39:35 AM permalink
This is why china is kicking our ass. Having said that, I'm a sparkle pony.
100% risk of ruin
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
September 4th, 2018 at 6:17:41 AM permalink
I think your video said only water and ice is sold. What happens if you feel under supplied or really need something? Can you leave and come back? Is there anything even somewhat close by to do so?
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
September 4th, 2018 at 6:44:52 AM permalink
The structures and metalwork "sculptures" look amazing. It looks like a post-apocalyptic Woodstock.

The climate must be so oppressive to a population so used to air conditioning and comfortable engineered environments.

The RV camp looked like a third world shanty-town.

A mixture of extremes, good and bad.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
RonC
RonC
  • Threads: 40
September 4th, 2018 at 7:01:16 AM permalink
While I enjoyed the video and now have a better understanding of the event (I've done some reading on it also), I have no desire to go to the event.

I hope all that do band together next year and give us a great report!!
VCUSkyhawk
VCUSkyhawk
  • Threads: 21
September 4th, 2018 at 7:09:48 AM permalink
I am glad you had fun. Between the oppressive heat and the bizarre atmosphere I can say I have zero desire to ever attend.
I got a plan, we take all your picks we reverse them like one of those twilight zone episodes where everything is the opposite. You say "black" we go white.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
September 4th, 2018 at 7:48:42 AM permalink
1. How large is the area? How do people move around within the area? Is it 100% walking and bicycles?

2. Doesn't the blowing sand become an uncomfortable problem for the nudists? (Think bodily crevices). I could imagine sunburn becoming a problem for people who usually are more fully clothed.

3. How do people eat? Do they all prepare their own food, camping-style?

4. Realistically, what fraction of the people at BM were doing drugs ?

5. For $1,200/person what do the organizers provide? What was the total attendance?

6. Do people attempt to hide inside the RVs and smuggle themselves in to avoid the $1,200 admission fee. At the admission points, does security search the RVs for hidden people?
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
September 4th, 2018 at 6:03:18 PM permalink

I think your video said only water and ice is sold. What happens if you feel under supplied or really need something? Can you leave and come back? Is there anything even somewhat close by to do so?

Those who forgot stuff, which is many, probably mooch off others. It is supposed to be a giving economy, so mooching is not difficult, but still not in the spirit of Burning Man. I was talking with a guy at the car wash today who forgot a jacket and got one from a stranger.

You are allowed to leave and return for a $20 re-entry fee. The closest town to buy anything, other than gas, is Empire, which is about 30 miles away.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
September 4th, 2018 at 6:25:53 PM permalink
Quote: gordonm888

1. How large is the area? How do people move around within the area? Is it 100% walking and bicycles?

I got out my BM map, ruler, and calculator to properly answer your question.

The diameter of the camp area is 1.8253 miles.

The area of the "playa," where the put all the art, is 0.5224 square miles.

The camping area is 2.0405 square miles.

This does not count the outlying areas, where you're also allowed to go.

2. Doesn't the blowing sand become an uncomfortable problem for the nudists? (Think bodily crevices). I could imagine sunburn becoming a problem for people who usually are more fully clothed.

Most of the time the wind isn't that bad. I have watched some BM videos that advise women to be careful to cover up properly to not get a UTI (urinary tract infection). This may explain in part why few women to totally nude.

Whatever they bring in, but probably mostly simple things like protein bars. My camp heated up a nice dinner prepared before every night but otherwise everyone was on his own. I ate a lot of almonds and protein bars.

I would estimate about 90%.

5. For $1,200/person what do the organizers provide? What was the total attendance?

My video shows the basic services provided, the most important of which is bathrooms. The total attendance was 80,000. $1,200 was well worth the value you get.

6. Do people attempt to hide inside the RVs and smuggle themselves in to avoid the $1,200 admission fee. At the admission points, does security search the RVs for hidden people?

That probably does happen. Everyone goes through security where they asked me to open all windows and just looked inside. I could have snuck somebody if I wanted to and likely wouldn't have been caught. It probably happens a lot. Once you pass security, nobody asks for a ticket. I've also heard of people sneaking in on foot or bike through the "deep playa" at night.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
September 4th, 2018 at 6:26:53 PM permalink

Most of the time the wind isn't that bad. I have watched some BM videos that advise women to be careful to cover up properly to not get a UTI (urinary tract infection). This may explain in part why few women to totally nude.

Whatever they bring in, but probably mostly simple things like protein bars. My camp heated up a nice dinner prepared before every night but otherwise everyone was on his own. I ate a lot of almonds and protein bars.

My video shows the basic services provided, the most important of which is bathrooms. The total attendance was 80,000. $1,200 was well worth the value you get.

That probably does happen. Everyone goes through security where they asked me to open all windows and just looked inside. I could have snuck somebody if I wanted to and likely wouldn't have been caught. It probably happens a lot. Once you pass security, nobody asks for a ticket. I've also heard of people sneaking in on foot or bike through the "deep playa" at night.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
September 4th, 2018 at 6:26:53 PM permalink

Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
September 4th, 2018 at 6:52:56 PM permalink
It's time for my next BM video. This one is on my attempt to juggle three pins and ride a unicycle at the same time for one minute. The unicycle seen I bought from ahigh. It was perfect for BM.

Direct: https://youtu.be/XgoAhzmI68g
IndyJeffrey
IndyJeffrey
September 4th, 2018 at 6:56:23 PM permalink
Mike: Thank you for posting the videos. I look forward to the 747 and others. You're video and stories make me want to go, but alas, because of so many other things I want to do, I'll have to enjoy through your descriptions.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
September 4th, 2018 at 7:55:44 PM permalink
Quote: IndyJeffrey

Mike: Thank you for posting the videos. I look forward to the 747 and others. You're video and stories make me want to go, but alas, because of so many other things I want to do, I'll have to enjoy through your descriptions.

Thanks! Here are my planned upcoming BM videos:

747 tour
BM at night (parts 1 and 2)
answers to your questions (keep them coming)
Bicycling advice
General advice, based on my mistakes
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
September 4th, 2018 at 10:11:17 PM permalink
Thanks for the video logs and narration Mike! I am enjoying them.

Questions:

I didn’t see anyone in robot costume. Was that only for a a special event?

Interesting that you got scolded for riding up a ramp. Were there many altercations?

Since the structures were made of wood, and occupied by people, did they have fire extinguishers even though they were going to burn?

What would you estimate the white to non-white ratio of attendees was?

How about the male to female to “other” ratio?

What was your take on the “temple”? From an evolutionary standpoint, where do you think this need for organized spiritual expression comes from?
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
  • Threads: 30
September 5th, 2018 at 2:39:25 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

The unicycle seen I bought from ahigh. It was perfect for BM.

Is the seat some kind of funnel?
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
September 5th, 2018 at 7:21:34 AM permalink
Quote: Ayecarumba

I didn’t see anyone in robot costume. Was that only for a a special event?

The whole week had a robot theme, however it was mainly evidenced in the art. I'm certainly glad I didn't fuss with a robot outfit.

Interesting that you got scolded for riding up a ramp. Were there many altercations?

I didn't see any. I heard some of the arrests are for fighting, although most are drug related.

Since the structures were made of wood, and occupied by people, did they have fire extinguishers even though they were going to burn?

They probably did, but I didn't notice. A fire extinguisher was something on the official list of stuff to bring.

What would you estimate the white to non-white ratio of attendees was?

20 to 1. The biggest non-white group was Asian.

How about the male to female to “other” ratio?

I'll say 11 to 10.

What was your take on the “temple”? From an evolutionary standpoint, where do you think this need for organized spiritual expression comes from?

That's a big question. When a bear gives birth to cubs, why does she fiercely protect and raise them? Nature must have given us and most animals a kind of magnetism to love our own like ourselves. Even though that bear never took a course in genetics, I think the mother can sense the cubs are an extension of herself. If it were not for this force, new born animals would be abandoned and the species would die out.

That said, what happens to this connecting force when one dies to the survivor? I would say it is still there but there is an empty place where it is directed. That is why we mourn lost loved ones, because that connection still exists to them. Placing pictures and writing letters at the Temple helps to express that love and makes the survivor feel a little bit better.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
September 5th, 2018 at 10:40:23 AM permalink
Here is my Burning Man video of the day. This one shows the aftermath of the dust storm of Wednesday evening.

Direct: https://youtu.be/YcTP-456sIg
KevinAA
KevinAA
  • Threads: 18
September 5th, 2018 at 11:39:54 AM permalink
Burning Man is one of the last events I would ever want to attend. I wouldn't go if it were free. You would have to pay me a lot of money to go to the desert with a bunch of crazy people.

A few events where Burning Man would be preferable to me:

going to jail
going to bankruptcy court
sleeping on the streets of Reno for 5 nights (4 is a tiebreaker)
visiting Mexico (been there, no need to return, ever)
RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
September 5th, 2018 at 12:13:15 PM permalink
Looks like there’s an unwritten rule: “you can’t have showered within 10 days to enter”.

I still have no idea what burning man even is. I always figured it was a big concert festival like EDC, Coachella, etc., except you camp there. Apparently that’s not what it is.

It’s just a bunch of people going out to the middle of a desert and basically partying and hanging out? Plus different activities (which don’t seem too interesting IMO). And you can’t use money for stuff? I can see why some people would enjoy that....but to me, that would be absolute hell.

What’s the political “scene” like, there? I have a feeling, but just wondering what you thought. Were there any people vocal about politics (rallies / speeches / protests(?) / etc.)? Do you think the demographics are about the same as normal, or disproportionate?

What about age? I’d think most would be under 30 or 35.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
Thanked by
RS
September 5th, 2018 at 12:20:11 PM permalink

Absolutely! You will see countless number of nude men

Nude men old hippie dope smokers,
you would literally have to pay me
to go. Wait, there's no food trucks
or any food for sale?

Never mind..
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
MrV
MrV
September 5th, 2018 at 12:45:58 PM permalink
Whatever.

Here's a snippet: Burning Man

Not everyone's cuppajoe, but for those who are progressive, liberal and value the arts and all that goes with it, it's arguably the best event in the world.
"What, me worry?"
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
Thanked by
petroglyph
September 5th, 2018 at 12:56:48 PM permalink
The ability of dust/sand particles to infiltrate organic materials such as fabrics and seals around windows (as well as some kind of joints in inorganic materials) is a function of particle size. Dirt and sand come in a range of particle sizes. The very very tiny particles, when traveling at high speed, will penetrate tent fabrics, rubber seals around windows etcetera.

This is why Wizard refers to "dust" -it is simply very tiny dirt/sand particles. Indeed, if you wanted to separate very tiny particles from the dirt/sand this is one way to do it - let it blow through your tent fabric. The particles that Wiz shows us on outside surfaces are probably much larger in size, on average.

Residents on the plains of Idaho tell me that no matter how well you seal your windows, that a layer of fine particles will build up on the inner sill of all the windows that face West.

You may be surprised to learn that very small particles, i.e. dust, can stay airborne for very long periods of time. The downward gravitational force on the particle is small and can be completely nullified by a combination of natural air buoyancy and upward air currents that arise because of wind drag on the ground. Tiny particles tend to random walk - up and down - until they encounter a surface and adhere.
EvenBob
EvenBob
Thanked by
troopscott
September 5th, 2018 at 1:07:21 PM permalink
Quote: MrV

but for those who are progressive, liberal and value the arts

Hillary voters. Nuff said. A week of brainless
Trump bashing while their 401K's are
bursting at the seams in the Trump
economy.. Whatever..
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
September 5th, 2018 at 1:27:47 PM permalink
Quote: RS

Looks like there’s an unwritten rule: “you can’t have showered within 10 days to enter”.

I'm sure most enter clean, but don't stay that way for long.

Quote:

It’s just a bunch of people going out to the middle of a desert and basically partying and hanging out? Plus different activities (which don’t seem too interesting IMO). And you can’t use money for stuff? I can see why some people would enjoy that....but to me, that would be absolute hell.

I'll be the first to say that BM is not for everybody. In fact, I think only about 20% of the adult population would like it.

Quote:

What’s the political “scene” like, there? I have a feeling, but just wondering what you thought. Were there any people vocal about politics (rallies / speeches / protests(?) / etc.)? Do you think the demographics are about the same as normal, or disproportionate?

There was absolutely no political agenda there. I never saw anybody making any kind of political statement. BM is deliberately supposed to take you away from the real world. Political speeches would "ruin your burn." The closest thing I saw was one camp gave lots of talks about Bitcoin. It didn't look like many people went.

Quote:

What about age? I’d think most would be under 30 or 35.

Extremely few kids. I'd say 0.1% were under the age of 5. Nobody school age (5 to 18). Then there was a ton of young people, I'd say 18 to 30. Then not many 30 to 55, I assume because they are too busy working. Then lots of retired people 55 to about 70. Not too many above 70, perhaps because it is far from good medical care.
EvenBob
EvenBob
September 5th, 2018 at 1:42:35 PM permalink

There was absolutely no political agenda there. I never saw anybody making any kind of political statement.

No Trump bashing? Not in front of
you, maybe, but thousands of ultra
Libs cannot gather and not have
TDS just disappear. Not possible.
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 26
September 5th, 2018 at 1:42:44 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Hillary voters. Nuff said. A week of brainless
Trump bashing while their 401K's are
bursting at the seams in the Trump
economy.. Whatever..

Wrong thread for this crap.
TigerWu
TigerWu
Thanked by
RS
September 5th, 2018 at 1:48:55 PM permalink

Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
September 5th, 2018 at 2:09:01 PM permalink

I was there and never heard Trump mentioned once. There was one camp where there was a simulated nuclear war between North Korea and the U.S. where you shot ping pong balls at each other. The sign had pictures of Trump and Kim on it. I think I also saw one camp decorated in part with a Trump mask but it wasn't in an unflattering way.

I'm sure most participants are lean liberal, but I absolutely stand by my statement that nobody there was political. People wanted to escape the real world for a week.
EvenBob
EvenBob
September 5th, 2018 at 2:17:28 PM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

Wrong thread for this crap.

What thread should Burning Man be
discussed in, oh wise one..
TigerWu
TigerWu
September 5th, 2018 at 2:27:03 PM permalink

What thread should Burning Man be
discussed in, oh wise one..

MrV
MrV
September 5th, 2018 at 5:10:15 PM permalink
The reality is that the people who would most likely benefit from and have a real epiphany at BM are those least likely to attend.

Oh wiz, you might as well kill the idea of a meet n greet at BM: without a casino nearby most forum members would probably be jonesing within a day.

Appreciation of BM requires an open mind, heart and wallet.

"What, me worry?"
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
September 5th, 2018 at 5:33:48 PM permalink
Quote: MrV

The reality is that the people who would most likely benefit from and have a real epiphany at BM are those least likely to attend.

I think you get out of it what you put into it. If you sit in your RV most of the time, you won't get much back. It is designed to be a participatory experience. In fact, Essential #1 is, "Participate: Unlike other events, Burning Man is created by the people who attend -- that means YOU! Participants are responsible for creating Black Rock City."

If someone went with the attitude that they wouldn't like it, they probably would prove themselves right somehow.
MaxPen
MaxPen
Thanked by
troopscott
September 5th, 2018 at 7:12:34 PM permalink
I would go if I could be a stowaway in the RV. Of course I would contribute to group costs. But there is no way in hell I am buying a $1200 ticket to use some porta potties.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
September 5th, 2018 at 7:15:06 PM permalink
Quote: MaxPen

I would go if I could be a stowaway in the RV. Of course I would contribute to group costs. But there is no way in hell I am buying a $1200 ticket to use some porta potties.

They probably search RVs. Security is pretty tight entering. If they find a stowaway everybody's ticket in the RV will be confiscated.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
September 5th, 2018 at 7:45:16 PM permalink
What is your estimate of the total paid attendance?

Besides bartering drugs, did you notice any opportunities to make money?

Would a gambling camp that offered games of chance using WizCoins draw traffic? The days can get long, and gaming can provide an engaging diversion.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
September 5th, 2018 at 8:20:22 PM permalink

What is your estimate of the total paid attendance?

I heard it was 80,000. That seems reasonable so I had no reason to do my own estimate.

Besides bartering drugs, did you notice any opportunities to make money?

It's possible there is some prostitution, but nobody approached me.

Would a gambling camp that offered games of chance using WizCoins draw traffic? The days can get long, and gaming can provide an engaging diversion.

No. People can gamble almost anywhere now. Nobody pays all that money and endures harsh conditions to gamble. That said, I did play some cribbage with one of my camp-mates for modest stakes and lost $3 betting on dildo jousting. My advice there is bet on the one who can balance on the beam better.
MaxPen
MaxPen
September 5th, 2018 at 8:20:25 PM permalink
I think there is money to be made in human smuggling. Doing a little research, I think they employ FLIR technology, which makes things a little tough. I think I could rig up a way to get 6 or so in at a time though.
I like the gaming idea.
I think it would be fun to figure out how to beat the organizers. Their whole rouse of a sharing community, with a little research, seems to be a bunch of BS that is for everyone except themselves.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
September 5th, 2018 at 8:28:11 PM permalink

I think there is money to be made in human smuggling. Doing a little research, I think they employ FLIR technology, which makes things a little tough.

For the benefit of others, FLIR is an acronym for "forward looking infrared radiometer." It is what border agents are supposed to be using to scan trucks from Mexico entering the US. My car never went through any kind of scanner that I can tell, so I'm skeptical BM employs them. They just did the old-fashioned eye-ball scan.
petroglyph
petroglyph
  • Threads: 19
Thanked by
MaxPen
September 5th, 2018 at 8:34:49 PM permalink

I think there is money to be made in human smuggling. Doing a little research, I think they employ FLIR technology, which makes things a little tough. I think I could rig up a way to get 6 or so in at a time though.
I like the gaming idea.
I think it would be fun to figure out how to beat the organizers. Their whole rouse of a sharing community, with a little research, seems to be a bunch of BS that is for everyone except themselves.

You could be the first BM coyote. : )
  • Jump to: