Wizard
Administrator
Wizard 
  • Threads: 1494
November 6th, 2013 at 3:31:29 PM permalink
Quote: Las Vegas Review Journal

Motorcyclist who died in crash Tuesday identified

The man who died in a motorcycle accident Tuesday night has been identified by the Clark County coroner’s office.

Micheal Lee Shackelford, 41, was riding his Honda motorcycle on Silverado Ranch near Maryland Parkway around 5:30 p.m. at what Las Vegas police said was a high rate of speed according to evidence at the scene.

Full article at https://www.reviewjournal.com/news/motorcyclist-who-died-crash-tuesday-identified.

Not long after moving to Las Vegas, I heard through a few people that there was somebody with my same first and last name who worked at Bally Gaming as a slot machine software engineer. As someone who designs slot machines myself on a consultancy basis, this was quite a coincidence. He does reverse a couple letters in both his first and last name, compared to my spelling, however.

I met Michael at the Global Gaming Expo several years ago and continued to ask for him subsequent years. Once we saw each other at his office at Bally when I went to a meeting there.

Having seen Micheal only a few times, I can't say that I know him very well. He seemed like a very happy guy. I'm told through mutual friends he liked to party and live life in the fast lane (given how he died, I'm sorry for the pun). He remarked that he was sometimes mistaken for me, and usually by somebody angry at me. I think he got the worst of it after I published my slot machine rankings, and some people incorrectly thought he did it.

I have a picture of myself with Micheal somewhere. If I can find it; I'll post it.

Sorry to see him go, and at just the age of 41. He had a lot of great years to look forward to.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
Buzzard
Buzzard
  • Threads: 90
November 6th, 2013 at 3:35:41 PM permalink
Sad for him and his family. Forgive me for asking, but was he wearing a helmet ?
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard 
November 6th, 2013 at 3:44:21 PM permalink
Quote: Buzzard

Sad for him and his family. Forgive me for asking, but was he wearing a helmet ?

I don't know. I think there is a helmet law in Nevada, so I would assume he probably did.
Buzzard
Buzzard
November 6th, 2013 at 3:49:26 PM permalink
Thanks for answering. Hate to see anybody not wearing one. Worst yet these teenage girls, no leathers, barefoot , no helmet, hanging onto a boyfriend who is usually weaving in and out of traffic. And had more than one friend tell me why he won't wear a helmet. " What's the use of having long hair if nobody can see it ?

Didn't wanna hijack the thread. 41 and gone. And I'm still here at 73. Who said life was fair ? ? ?
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
CrystalMath
CrystalMath
  • Threads: 8
November 6th, 2013 at 3:51:58 PM permalink
I never knew him, but I knew of him, as his profile constantly appears as a suggestion to me on LinkedIn.

It is very sad for someone to die at such a young age, and it should remind us all how fleeting life really is.

I actually only know one other Shackleford (not Michael, though), and he used to be a test engineer at GLI in Vegas.
I heart Crystal Math.
CrystalMath
CrystalMath
November 6th, 2013 at 3:57:23 PM permalink
Micheal's photo from LinkedIn.
I heart Crystal Math.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
November 6th, 2013 at 4:08:02 PM permalink
Talk about a heart attack on first seeing the thread title....geez, Wiz. I'm sorry to hear this, but selfishly, if there had to be one, I'm very glad it's the other one.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard 
November 6th, 2013 at 4:19:01 PM permalink
Quote: CrystalMath

Micheal's photo from LinkedIn.

Here is a scan of his business card.

Alan
Alan
  • Threads: 17
November 6th, 2013 at 4:48:34 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

I don't know. I think there is a helmet law in Nevada, so I would assume he probably did.

That's like assuming everyone drives the speed limit, 'cuz it's the law, but okay. Sad indeed nevertheless.
wudged
wudged
  • Threads: 2
November 6th, 2013 at 4:53:49 PM permalink
I'd say it's more in line with assuming everyone wears a seat belt.
Alan
Alan
  • Threads: 17
November 6th, 2013 at 4:59:37 PM permalink
Quote: wudged

Much better analogy...thanks.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard 
November 6th, 2013 at 5:26:05 PM permalink
Quote: wudged

The police can't tell if you're wearing a seat belt unless you get pulled over, unlike riding a motorcycle without a helmet. Riding without a helmet is just asking to get a ticket if the police enforce that law. Knowing Las Vegas, they probably do. That is why I think it is safe to assume he was wearing one.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
November 6th, 2013 at 5:51:46 PM permalink
Helmet or not

Quote:

The Kia rotated as a result of the impact, and hit another vehicle that was leaving the parking lot, police said.

They make it sound like he hit the car hard enough to change its direction. Helmet won't do much if you hit something like a cruise missile.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard 
November 6th, 2013 at 6:01:09 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

They make it sound like he hit the car hard enough to change its direction. Helmet won't do much if you hit something like a cruise missile.

Yup. He hit the Kia so hard that it collided with a second car. A helmet will help only so much.
rxwine
rxwine
November 6th, 2013 at 6:08:11 PM permalink
Is it my imagination or does he look a lot like Mission?

There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
Buzzard
Buzzard
November 6th, 2013 at 6:09:36 PM permalink

Yup. He hit the Kia so hard that it collided with a second car. A helmet will help only so much.

I agree. But in many cases it does. I remember when they first put seat belts in cars in the 60's. And guys would ask, what if I run off the road, land in a creek upside down and drown because I can't get the seat belt undone ?

Anyway, he ill be missed by his family and friends. Gone at 41. Yesterday my Uncle Tom Bailey died at age 100. Hope Mom passed some of those longevity genes to me.
rxwine
rxwine
November 6th, 2013 at 6:15:54 PM permalink
Quote: Buzzard

I agree. But in many cases it does.

It does, but you really can't afford to take an impact much harder than a NFL player. Of course they get hit pretty hard, but generally not with concrete or steel.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard 
November 6th, 2013 at 6:35:27 PM permalink

Here is that picture of the two of us.
Paigowdan
Paigowdan
  • Threads: 115
November 6th, 2013 at 7:18:27 PM permalink
All terribly sad.

Rest in Peace - Mike of Bally's.

I am always extra cautious and courteous when someone on a motorbike is anywhere near my car when driving - blind spot, or when I wish to make a left turn.

I believe the majority of motorbike fatalities occur when a car driver makes a left "in front on the little guy" on a bike. It seems that oncoming traffic doesn't have the straight-through right-of-way if it's someone on a bike, and they turn right into him. Most other bike accidents are a "skid out survivable" instead of a head-on with a car like this.

Also, James Dean in his sports car suffered the same tragic type of accident.
Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes - Henry David Thoreau. Like Dealers' uniforms - Dan.
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
  • Threads: 51
November 6th, 2013 at 7:26:28 PM permalink
It's so easy to make a left turn in front of a bike. You sometimes just don't see that small a vehicle, especially if there's sun glare. I stopped riding in my 20's and never looked back.
Someday, joor goin' to see the name of Googie Gomez in lights and joor goin' to say to joorself, "Was that her?" and then joor goin' to answer to joorself, "That was her!" But you know somethin' mister? I was always her yuss nobody knows it! - Googie Gomez
paisiello
paisiello
  • Threads: 21
November 6th, 2013 at 7:31:50 PM permalink
First time I seen michael spelled micheal and not a spelling mistake.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard 
November 6th, 2013 at 7:50:44 PM permalink
Quote: paisiello

Me too. Figures coming from a ShackELford.
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
November 6th, 2013 at 7:53:15 PM permalink

There is actually a guy at my work with this same spelling of Micheal. Apparently it's an Irish spelling.
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
tringlomane
tringlomane
November 6th, 2013 at 8:07:43 PM permalink

You guys don't watch enough sports. I am surprised someone over 40 had it spelled that way though.

My ex's sister and her g/f got killed on a motorcycle because a drunk without a license had already crashed his car beyond a hill. Although he did get 22 years for his 4th DUI and 2 counts of manslaughter, I can't help but think they may still be alive if they were in a car and wearing seat beats. RIP Micheal. :(
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
November 6th, 2013 at 8:11:14 PM permalink

He sounds like he was a pretty cool guy, may he rest in peace. That said, I don't really see the resemblance.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
djatc
djatc
  • Threads: 83
November 6th, 2013 at 8:15:43 PM permalink
I used to ride motorcycles and probably never will again after all the close calls I've gotten into from my bad riding or other cars. I escaped death once when I took 2 vicodin and rode home on the highway. I slept for microseconds on the road and almost killed myself many times just in that one ride. An ER doc shouldn't be prescribing vicodin for headaches, and I shouldn't have taken it before operating a motorized vehicle. Looking back when I ran out of the medication I couldn't sleep and made my life hell until it flushed out of my system. Considering my low tolerance for drugs/alcohol (One drink gets me drunk, and tylenol is too strong for me sometimes) it was like getting a morphine shot. Luckily I escaped fate and probably took a few years off my life from this incident.

Long story short be EXTRA careful when riding. Assume cars cannot see you coming even if you are in their rear view mirror.
"Man Babes" #AxelFabulous
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
November 6th, 2013 at 8:28:31 PM permalink
Quote: djatc

I used to ride motorcycles and probably never will again after all the close calls I've gotten into from my bad riding or other cars. I escaped death once when I took 2 vicodin and rode home on the highway. I slept for microseconds on the road and almost killed myself many times just in that one ride. An ER doc shouldn't be prescribing vicodin for headaches, and I shouldn't have taken it before operating a motorized vehicle. Looking back when I ran out of the medication I couldn't sleep and made my life hell until it flushed out of my system. Considering my low tolerance for drugs/alcohol (One drink gets me drunk, and tylenol is too strong for me sometimes) it was like getting a morphine shot. Luckily I escaped fate and probably took a few years off my life from this incident.

Long story short be EXTRA careful when riding. Assume cars cannot see you coming even if you are in their rear view mirror.

Closest I ever came to killing somebody was a guy on a crotch rocket. I was waiting for oncoming traffic on a narrow 2 lane road in order to make the left turn into my subdivision. There were 5 cars waiting behind me by the time I got to make the turn, because of the heavy oncoming traffic. I finally started my turn behind the last guy, and all I saw was a flash of yellow out of the left corner of my eye as I moved; it was a motorcycle riding the centerline who decided he could time it to pass our line of cars on the left before I made my turn, but he misjudged it. I slammed on the brakes as I caught the movement, and he laid it half over on his left as he veered around my bumper. He floored it at the same time (throttle on handlebar, I suppose, but still "floored" it) and his centrifugal force increased enough for him to stay on the bike as he rolled back upright out of the veer, then corrected back to the right before leaving the road. I couldn't believe he survived it; there were canal ditches on both sides and the road was extremely narrow.

I expect he's dead by now; that was several years ago, and someone who's willing to drive that badly on a vehicle that's going to lose in any collision won't be riding for long. Scared the bejeezus out of me; I could barely drive the last block home.
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
November 6th, 2013 at 8:44:11 PM permalink
Quote: djatc

It's shocking to me how cavalier doctors are with prescribing opiate pain medication. I had a hellacious withdrawal after just 10 days of oxy after my knee surgery.
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
Buzzard
Buzzard
November 6th, 2013 at 8:48:53 PM permalink
Had a friend who took a ride home one day from work on back of a buddies motorcycle. Traffic was stopped on highway and this jerk was flying in-between two lanes of stopped traffic. Then A car door opened as some one wanted to see what was going one. He saw the Motorcycle coming and slammed door shut just in time. Later my friend asked the guy what he would have done if the door stayed open. The jerk said he'd have laid the bike down and tried to go under the door. And he was serious.

When I ride a bicycle I ride facing traffic. I never ride a motorcycle. NEVER. Can't say how many times I have stopped from changing lanes when remember that motorcycle a few miles back and sure enough, he was in my blind spot.

However one day I was envious of a biker. Was on I70 west, just past Lakeside amusement park. I am driving west and this bike is riding towards me with sunset and mountains behind him. Has big plexiglass screen and he is rolling a joint at 70 MPH.
My definition of Super Cool
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
November 6th, 2013 at 9:04:30 PM permalink
Quote: AcesAndEights

It's shocking to me how cavalier doctors are with prescribing opiate pain medication.

When was this? They aren't doing it anymore, a doc will
prescribe heroin before you get Vicadin out of him these
days.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
tringlomane
tringlomane
November 6th, 2013 at 10:11:34 PM permalink
Reading the article more closely, this was nearly the same scenario of my very first accident. Some idiot was turning left into the grocery store failing to yield to me on a 35 MPH road. I was able to slow down to 10 or 15 MPH before hitting him, but couldn't stop completely. Douche also didn't have insurance and tried to give me a false address before the cop showed up. If I was on a motorcycle, who knows what would have happened. Since we were both in cars though, there were no injuries.
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
  • Threads: 75
November 7th, 2013 at 2:30:56 AM permalink

Uh, it's just your imagination. You may as well have posted a pic of Morgan Freeman because Mission doesn't resemble either of them.
Fighting BS one post at a time!
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
November 7th, 2013 at 11:45:22 AM permalink
Pierce looks like a prison guard or a prison inmate
in the pic, I can't decide which.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
Buzzard
Buzzard
November 7th, 2013 at 11:47:36 AM permalink
I think an orange jumpsuit is the proper attire for Pierce.
mkcvegas
mkcvegas
  • Threads: 0
November 9th, 2013 at 10:00:43 PM permalink
I felt compelled to join and provide a little insight into an amazing man, I have worked with Micheal for years at Bally, in fact we spent most of Tuesday together before he left work to head home. I knew his route well as a couple of times we would go by his house to grab something. He drove Maryland Parkway and made a left on Silverado Ranch. For those familiar with the area, the accident took place about 250 feet after he would have turned and the speed limit on that road is 45mph. It is a shame that the news is making it look like Micheal's fault, when a 62 year old woman cut him off and made a left in front of him because she did not see him coming. Yes, he wore a helmet and did all the right things in trying to lay the bike down to avoid the collision, but he was at the losing end on the motorcycle and it is heart breaking. He was the happiest man I know, sometimes irritatingly so. He leaves behind two young amazing daughters and a wonderful new wife. He loved his job and slot machines were his passion. He was intrigued with all aspects of the slots and what made players play what they did. And yes, he did like to party and have a good time, but he never did anything stupid like drink and drive. His wife and kids were everything and he knew that. But, he loved his motorcycle it was the one thing he could not give up.

He often spoke about the "Wizard" and I even found one of your books as I was cleaning out his office. It is very sad to have lost him, and many peoples lives will never be the same. Indeed RIP my wonderful friend!
tringlomane
tringlomane
November 9th, 2013 at 10:18:28 PM permalink
Sorry for your loss of your dear friend and co-worker, mkc. :( Sounds like a great guy.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
November 10th, 2013 at 9:40:58 AM permalink
Quote: mkcvegas

I felt compelled to join and provide a little insight into an amazing man, I have worked with Micheal for years at Bally, in fact we spent most of Tuesday together before he left work to head home. I knew his route well as a couple of times we would go by his house to grab something. He drove Maryland Parkway and made a left on Silverado Ranch. For those familiar with the area, the accident took place about 250 feet after he would have turned and the speed limit on that road is 45mph. It is a shame that the news is making it look like Micheal's fault, when a 62 year old woman cut him off and made a left in front of him because she did not see him coming. Yes, he wore a helmet and did all the right things in trying to lay the bike down to avoid the collision, but he was at the losing end on the motorcycle and it is heart breaking. He was the happiest man I know, sometimes irritatingly so. He leaves behind two young amazing daughters and a wonderful new wife. He loved his job and slot machines were his passion. He was intrigued with all aspects of the slots and what made players play what they did. And yes, he did like to party and have a good time, but he never did anything stupid like drink and drive. His wife and kids were everything and he knew that. But, he loved his motorcycle it was the one thing he could not give up.

He often spoke about the "Wizard" and I even found one of your books as I was cleaning out his office. It is very sad to have lost him, and many peoples lives will never be the same. Indeed RIP my wonderful friend!

Haven't known quite what to say about this post, mkc; I'm feeling slightly ashamed at my relief that it wasn't the Wizard, because your Micheal was a good person from everything you say, and you lost him well before his time. Please accept my condolences on the loss of your friend; may he live on in the lives his daughters build for themselves.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard 
November 10th, 2013 at 11:26:59 AM permalink

I felt compelled to join and provide a little insight into an amazing man, ...

Thank you for your heartfelt comments about Micheal. It is nice to see someone who knew him well contribute. The time I visited him in his office he seemed very deeply involved in his work. He was courteous to me, but I got the impression he was in a "zone" and didn't want to be taken out of it.

My apologies for the joking around that went on this this thread.
mickeycrimm
mickeycrimm
  • Threads: 62
November 10th, 2013 at 12:55:39 PM permalink

Me too. Figures coming from a ShackELford.

A quote from Val Greenwood's The Researcher's Guide to American Genealogy:

"The lack of standardized spelling and the use of phonetic spellings can be very sticky problems. If you go back just 100 years you will find a large percentage could not read, more still could not write (and many people were able to write only their own names), and even more could not spell. Most people who did write did not concern themselves particularly with so-called standardized spelling, but rather spelled words just as they sounded--phonetically--with local accents. Also realize that the early settlers of America were immigrants from many foreign lands. There were many accents, and when records were made the scribe wrote what he heard, accent and all."
"Quit trying your luck and start trying your skill." Mickey Crimm
midwestgb
midwestgb
  • Threads: 12
November 10th, 2013 at 1:43:41 PM permalink

He was the happiest man I know, sometimes irritatingly so.

As fine an epitaph as a Man could receive from a friend.
Buzzard
Buzzard
November 10th, 2013 at 2:12:36 PM permalink
I meant no disrespect when asking if he was wearing a helmet. As for a left turn in front of you, it's one reason I don't ride a motorcycle. Matter of fact, the only reason I don't. Had a few close friends back in the day who Josie referred to as the Charles Manson Murders. 2 rode Harleys and were also skydivers. Rod had moved to Houston from Washington state. Got interviewed every 5 years or so by FBI agents still looking for D B Cooper.

Glad he was happy and no doubt very happy with the wind in his face until he left this veil of tears all too suddenly.
  • Jump to: