pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
July 31st, 2012 at 10:33:34 AM permalink
The incredible run of gold medals by Chinese women was slowed a few minutes ago. In women's team gymnastics, the USA pulled off a tough victory with the gold, Russia with silver, Romania with bronze, and China in fourth place.

China has pointedly denied rumors that their 16 year old swimming prodigy is being doped, despite swimming the last 1/8 of the 400 meter IM at the same speed as Ryan Lochte from the USA.
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
  • Threads: 112
July 31st, 2012 at 10:38:51 AM permalink
Doping in the Olympics ? Surely you jest, Sir !
slyther
slyther
  • Threads: 13
July 31st, 2012 at 11:06:07 AM permalink
Yay for the US pixies.

I get into watching the Olympics. Haven't seen very much this time around however. Handball looks pretty awesome.
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
July 31st, 2012 at 11:34:19 AM permalink
In three days I've seen not one second of coverage. That's a personal best for me.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
pacomartin
pacomartin
July 31st, 2012 at 12:01:45 PM permalink
Staggering upset for Michael Phelps. He had the lead and was about to win his 3rd straight 200 meter butterfly, and he made a rookie mistake at the end and didn't reach out for the wall correctly. He lost the gold by a touch to Chad LeClos of South Africa.

Mexico has two synchronized diving silver medals (4 athletes).

Great Britain is off to a very slow start for home team. No gold medals year (2 silver, 2 bronze). They had 47 medals in Beijing, with 19 gold ( a national best).

So far only 1 in 6 competitions has been resolved.
pacomartin
pacomartin
July 31st, 2012 at 3:57:34 PM permalink
Quote: buzzpaff

Doping in the Olympics ? Surely you jest, Sir !

Ye Shiwen merely set an Olympic Record today and earned her second Gold medal. She did not break the World Record or do any miraculous sprints in the race.

A BBC spokesman defended their reporter's (Clare Balding) comments and denied that they had implied Miss Ye was a drugs cheat. “The Chinese swimmer had just knocked five seconds off her personal best to break a word record; in her role as a presenter it is Clare’s job to ask the experts (in this case Mark Foster), how she managed to do it,” he told the Daily Mail. “There was absolutely no implication of doping."
teddys
teddys
  • Threads: 150
July 31st, 2012 at 4:24:23 PM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

Ye Shiwen merely set an Olympic Record today and earned her second Gold medal. She did not break the World Record or do any miraculous sprints in the race.

A BBC spokesman defended their reporter's (Clare Balding) comments and denied that they had implied Miss Ye was a drugs cheat. “The Chinese swimmer had just knocked five seconds off her personal best to break a word record; in her role as a presenter it is Clare’s job to ask the experts (in this case Mark Foster), how she managed to do it,” he told the Daily Mail. “There was absolutely no implication of doping."

She didn't dope. The fact the she swam a faster split than Lochte is a specious argument. Lochte already had the race in the bag in the 400 IM by his freestyle lap and didn't go all out. Four of the other swimmers in that race swam faster splits than Ye. It's not like she has come out of nowhere, either; she won gold at the World's and Asian championships before the Olympics. I thought it was one of the most exciting swims I've ever seen. She was like a demon in the last leg.

China is now close to dead even in total medals with the U.S., with more golds. The U.S. should dominate the rest of the swimming, and the track medals, while China will sweep table tennis. Should be an interesting finish.
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
July 31st, 2012 at 4:26:44 PM permalink
It is such a shame the way doping controls most amateur ( LOL) and professional sports. I have a cousin who was in the Orioles farm system. His dream was to make it to the majors, even if only for a cup of coffee toward a season's ending. To be able to tell his grandkids he played on the same team and field with Brooks Robinson.

He came close a few times, but somebody on steroids beat him out twice. Pete Rose was never shown to ever bet against his own team. He will never get into the hall of fame. Barry Bonds will make it on the second or third try.
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
July 31st, 2012 at 4:43:28 PM permalink
I wonder if doping in sports is as much a losing battle as drugs in the rest of society.

If it is, sports would be better off simply regulating dope, which BTW includes more than anabolic steroids, than forbidding it. I can see the impulse, and the regular use of steroids and other things are bad for long term health, in some cases worse than tobacco, alcohol and other drugs, but the incentive is even greater.

Of course, if every athlete were to take to doping, regualted or nto, you'd have a level field once again, only with more health problems later on in life.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
July 31st, 2012 at 4:47:21 PM permalink
Maybe a seperate category for dopers. Young men and women should never have to take drugs to compete. NEVER !

I feel steroid usage in baseball demands a life time suspension. I mean the played suspended for using a corked bat doesn't get to use
a corked bat for the rest of his career. But steroid users get to keep those muscles.
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
July 31st, 2012 at 6:33:37 PM permalink

It is such a shame the way doping controls most amateur ( LOL) and professional sports. I have a cousin who was in the Orioles farm system. His dream was to make it to the majors, even if only for a cup of coffee toward a season's ending. To be able to tell his grandkids he played on the same team and field with Brooks Robinson.

He came close a few times, but somebody on steroids beat him out twice. Pete Rose was never shown to ever bet against his own team. He will never get into the hall of fame. Barry Bonds will make it on the second or third try.

My best friend and I were exceptional baseball players and had our chances. He was throwing 80s at 15. By 18, he was 90s, and had the complete bag of tricks. I remember the day he came to me about that, how everyone on the team was doing it, and how it was gonna be the make-or-break decider of whether we made it or not. Truth is, it probably was. But after a solid year of refusing to accept his or my doing it, he relented. He now teaches P.E. I sit at a desk all day.

Wouldn't change it for the world. Health and integrity trump funny colored cotton paper.
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
July 31st, 2012 at 6:43:28 PM permalink
Had a friend Ronnie Finn who could throw a baseball past some skinny Baltimore teenage phenom named Al Kaline.

Ronnie had parents going thru divorce, bounced back and forth from home to home. His old man was a real bum.

When iIgot back from Vietnam, I expected to find him in the minor leagues at least. Instead I found him sleeping on a cot under dripping clothes on clotheslines hung up in his grandmother's basement.

What might have been ? SIGH
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
July 31st, 2012 at 7:21:03 PM permalink
Quote: slyther

Yay for the US pixies.

I get into watching the Olympics. Haven't seen very much this time around however. Handball looks pretty awesome.

I think that Team USA should pay me to watch the Olympics, I bring them good luck. Team USA has won every Olympic event that I have watched, thus far.

I watched Indoor Volleyball when the U.S. Women demoralized Brazil.

I watched Men's Basketball when the U.S. Men (as expected) annihilated France.

I was watching today when U.S. Women's Field Hockey surprisingly beat Argentina.

I watched U.S. Women's Soccer obliterate Colombia...Well, they didn't really obliterate them, two goals came very late...but Colombia only had one shot on goal for the match, I believe.

I also saw U.S. Women defeat North Korea in soccer today.

I have only watched one other event involving the U.S. thus far, and I don't even remember what it was, but I know they won.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
pacomartin
pacomartin
July 31st, 2012 at 8:17:36 PM permalink
Quote: teddys

She didn't dope.

It is my working assumption. I think we have to allow for the amazing in sports. Bob Beamon did the truly spectacular in Mexico city. Anything is possible. And as the Chinese team has pointed out she went through a battery of drug tests, the same as everyone else. The only "evidence" is a spectacular race.
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
July 31st, 2012 at 9:01:57 PM permalink
Gary Wadler, the past chairman of the World Anti-Doping Agency’s prohibited list committee, said questions were fair game considering the circumstances.

“When you have extraordinary performances like she has you have to raise the question, ‘Is it legitimate?’  ” Wadler said.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
July 31st, 2012 at 9:26:11 PM permalink
I still say its a guy. Anbody bother to check?
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
pacomartin
pacomartin
July 31st, 2012 at 9:39:33 PM permalink
Prime Minister Cameron stated: “We are holding an Olympic Games in one of the busiest, most active, bustling cities anywhere in the world. Of course it’s easier if you hold an Olympic Games in the middle of nowhere,” said Cameron, which was interpreted as a reference to Salt Lake City and Utah as a jab back at Romney for his disparaging comments. If you don't remember, Romney organized the Winter Olympics in SLC, ten years ago.

They seem to have overdone it. They scared away so many people that in fact much of the city is deserted. The Olympic visitors may have more money, but there are far fewer than the normal number of foreign visitors. Businesses are suffering as normal commuters make plans to work from home during the two weeks.
MonkeyMonkey
MonkeyMonkey
  • Threads: 13
August 3rd, 2012 at 2:03:55 AM permalink
Quote: Mission146

I think that Team USA should pay me to watch the Olympics, I bring them good luck. Team USA has won every Olympic event that I have watched, thus far.

What are you going to watch next? I'd like to get some money down on that one.
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
August 3rd, 2012 at 3:16:34 PM permalink
Quote: MonkeyMonkey

What are you going to watch next? I'd like to get some money down on that one.

I watched Women's soccer v. New Zealand and they won 1-0. I also watched Women's Indoor Volleyball v. China and we won handily.\

The streak was almost broken yesterday because I almost caught the Men's Boxing Match, and he lost. I didn't end up being able to watch it, though.

Let me check the schedule:

I'll be watching Men's Basketball tomorrow, USA v. Lithuania, but that was already a no-brainer if you're betting straight-up.

I'll be watching USA v. Turkey Women's Indoor Volleyball on Sunday. That's all I am sure I will have time for, for now. If I know for sure I am watching anything else Sunday, I'll let you know. I know I don't have time for anything except the B-Ball game tomorrow.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
pacomartin
pacomartin
August 8th, 2012 at 12:40:18 PM permalink
With 4.5 days to go and 93 gold medals yet to be awarded, China is leading USA 35 to 30 in gold (76 to 72 overall).

At this time in 2008, China was considerably ahead. With 4 days left to finish it was China-47 gold, and USA-27 gold. The USA finished the last four days strong with team sports winning 10 gold medals, to China's 4 gold.

USA final 4 days, 10 gold medals:
Athletics: Men's 400 meter
Athletics: Men's 4 x 400 meter relay
Athletics: Women's 4 x 400 m relay
Basketball: Women's basketball
Basketball: Men's basketball
Volleyball: Women's beach volleyball
Volleyball: Men's beach volleyball
Volleyball: Men's volleyball
Decathlon: Men's decathlon
Football: Women's football (soccer)

China final 4 days, 4 gold medals:
Canoeing: Men's C-2 500 m
Diving: Women's 10 m platform
Table tennis : Women's singles
Table tennis: Men's singles

So all indications that it will probably come down to the last day. USA has won the most number of medals since 1996 (after the Soviet Union disbanded), and also the most number of Gold Medals until Beijing when China won 51 to 37.

The United Kingdom is having the best olympics of history handily beating Russia in gold (although about equal in overall medals).
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
August 8th, 2012 at 12:46:25 PM permalink

The United Kingdom is having the best olympics of history handily beating Russia in gold (although about equal in overall medals).

Home-field advantage is a wonderful thing. Many smiles back home in the UK.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 117
August 8th, 2012 at 1:42:32 PM permalink

Pete Rose was never shown to ever bet against his own team. He will never get into the hall of fame. Barry Bonds will make it on the second or third try.

Considering how few votes Mark McGwire ever got (did he ever get above 25%?), I doubt Bonds will get in at all.

As for medal count, Grenada leads all nations in terms of what fraction of its population have won gold medals; I think Jamaica is currently second. I will not be surprised if, either just before or just after the closing ceremony, somebody at NBC says something like Great Britain won the most medals per capita "among large nations" (they said this about Australia's gold medal count in 2000).
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
August 8th, 2012 at 1:48:39 PM permalink
With his name set to appear on the Hall of Fame ballot for the first time this winter, Bonds took a first step toward rehabilitating his shattered image in an interview with MLB.com’s Barry Bloom. Bonds said “there’s not a doubt in my mind” he belongs in the Hall of Fame but spent much of his interview with Bloom admitting there were many things he could have done differently to improve his relationship with the media, both during the chase for 756 and throughout his career.
teddys
teddys
August 8th, 2012 at 2:33:07 PM permalink

With 4.5 days to go and 93 gold medals yet to be awarded, China is leading USA 35 to 30 in gold (76 to 72 overall).

At this time in 2008, China was considerably ahead. With 4 days left to finish it was China-47 gold, and USA-27 gold. The USA finished the last four days strong with team sports winning 10 gold medals, to China's 4 gold.

USA final 4 days, 10 gold medals:
Athletics: Men's 400 meter
Athletics: Men's 4 x 400 meter relay
Athletics: Women's 4 x 400 m relay
Basketball: Women's basketball
Basketball: Men's basketball
Volleyball: Women's beach volleyball
Volleyball: Men's beach volleyball
Volleyball: Men's volleyball
Decathlon: Men's decathlon
Football: Women's football (soccer)

China final 4 days, 4 gold medals:
Canoeing: Men's C-2 500 m
Diving: Women's 10 m platform
Table tennis : Women's singles
Table tennis: Men's singles

So all indications that it will probably come down to the last day. USA has won the most number of medals since 1996 (after the Soviet Union disbanded), and also the most number of Gold Medals until Beijing when China won 51 to 37.

The U.S. has Men's and Women's basketball, Women's beach volleyball, and Men's decathalon in the bag this games. So there's four guaranteed golds right there. We have probably a 50% chance in Women's football (Japan is tough). We already lost out on Men's beach volleyball and Men's 400m (no medals of any stripe in those events). Don't count us out in water polo; I think the U.S. has a strong chance to medal in Women's, with gold possible. We have a few track and field medals left in us, too. (I especially like our chances in the Men's and Women's 4x400. Don't drop the baton this time, guys!)

China swept table tennis (again). They probably have more than a few diving medals left in them, and a smattering of canoeing/wrestling/taekwondo medals. They won't be as strong in team sports as the U.S., so I predict the U.S. to come out ahead in both golds and overall medals. But it will be VERY close. It could come down to Women's volleyball.
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
WongBo
WongBo
  • Threads: 62
August 8th, 2012 at 6:16:29 PM permalink
women's v-ball is a gold lock.
first time in olympic history that the gold/silver will be going to the same country
In a bet, there is a fool and a thief. - Proverb.
pacomartin
pacomartin
August 8th, 2012 at 7:08:33 PM permalink
Quote: thecesspit

Home-field advantage is a wonderful thing. Many smiles back home in the UK.

Prior to the games, I read that UK was going to challenge Russia. However, I was very skeptical. Results in 2008 where UK placed 4th were very impressive, but Russia still seemed dominant.

2008 Russia: 23+21+28=72
2008 United Kingdom: 19+13+15=47

It's interesting the UK is improving at such a rapid rate, while not offering any money to the medal winners.
teddys
teddys
August 8th, 2012 at 7:27:59 PM permalink
Quote: WongBo

first time in olympic history that the gold/silver will be going to the same country

Not quite. If you are talking about Women's beach volleyball exclusively, Brazil took both gold and silver at the 1996 Atlanta games, and the U.S. Men took the top two spots at Atlanta as well. Of course, it happens all the time in other events.
teddys
teddys
August 8th, 2012 at 8:06:26 PM permalink

Prior to the games, I read that UK was going to challenge Russia. However, I was very skeptical. Results in 2008 where UK placed 4th were very impressive, but Russia still seemed dominant.

2008 Russia: 23+21+28=72
2008 United Kingdom: 19+13+15=47

It's interesting the UK is improving at such a rapid rate, while not offering any money to the medal winners.

They fund the athletes through National Lottery proceeds.

A big story in these Olympics has been the decline of Russia, Germany, and Australia, traditionally major sporting powers. Whether they are having an off-year or are in a state of decline remains to be seen; both drastically reduced their gold and total medal totals. Things are becoming more balanced. Kazakhstan won six gold medals already.

Great Britain looks like they are here to stay. They have bascially claimed the cycling events as their own, and should be good there for many years. They have always been good at rowing, sailing, and equestrian. Their improvement from *one* gold medal in Atlanta to 22 golds in London so far is nothing short of extraordinary. Another overlooked performer is South Korea which has built on the foundation of the Seoul games to become a consistent top 10 nation in the medal tables.
pacomartin
pacomartin
August 8th, 2012 at 9:10:09 PM permalink

Great Britain looks like they are here to stay. They have bascially claimed the cycling events as their own, and should be good there for many years. They have always been good at rowing, sailing, and equestrian. Their improvement from *one* gold medal in Atlanta to 22 golds in London so far is nothing short of extraordinary.

It seems as if the UK medal winners are more egalitarian than the USA, without the super dominance of Michael Phelps. Only three people have won 2 golds. There do not seem to be the superstar teenagers that are developing in USA,

The cycling dominance is pretty amazing with a gold in 8 out of 14 events (with 4 remaining). I assume that these four are the most famous names in the media.

Cycling
Sir Chris Hoy (age 36)
Bradley Wiggins (age 32)
Jason Kenny (age 24)
Laura Trott (age 20)

Jason Kenny & Laura Trott

Gymnastics usually gets attention no matter what.
Gymnast
Max Whitlock (age 19) 2 bronzes
Sam Oldham (age 19) bronze
Beth Tweddle (age 17) bronze
thecesspit
thecesspit
August 8th, 2012 at 11:19:04 PM permalink
Thats the first time Beckham's been in a photo in the last decade and not the centre of attention. Least I think that's Becks.

There's some talk in the UK of two factors right now : a) The majority of medal winners were private school educated... private (fee-charging) schools have far better sports programs, and nourish development better than the public school system. and b) Cameron's Tories have sold off a lot more state school grounds over the last two years, reducing access to general athletics and soccer to more kids in state schools. Cameron wants an Olympic legacy... but there a dichotomy there between promoting sport for all and paying for sport for all.

They reckon there's a 20% halo effect around the Olympics for the host nation.

But that said, funding for the top sports has increased (the velodrome and cycling is a huge change in my life time... it was a mere curiousity growing up, but heavy coverage of the Tour De France and Chris Boardman's hour ride I think propelled it into the state it is now) through the National Lottery (or idiot tax as some will call it).

Sailing, Equestrian and Rowing have always been "upper class" sports, just due to the basic cost involved. Interesting to see in that class of '96 Ben Ainslie getting a Silver. He got another Gold this games, giving him a medal in 6 consecutive games (5 gold, 1 silver).
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
thecesspit
thecesspit
August 8th, 2012 at 11:24:40 PM permalink
Oh on the gymnast, apart from Beth Tweedle, I think no-one could name a Gymnast before these games who didn't follow it. Gymanstics has been "another countries sport" for the longest time, that the Brits might occasionally get a couple of people into 14th place.
pacomartin
pacomartin
August 8th, 2012 at 11:46:25 PM permalink

They reckon there's a 20% halo effect around the Olympics for the host nation.

But that said, funding for the top sports has increased (the velodrome and cycling is a huge change in my life time... it was a mere curiousity growing up, but heavy coverage of the Tour De France and Chris Boardman's hour ride I think propelled it into the state it is now) through the National Lottery .

There is very clearly an extremely strong correlation between funding and medals. Look at sub-Saharan Africa with almost a billion people. There medal share is pretty small, and it is shared by only three nations.
Kenya:1+2+2=5
Ethiopia:2+0+2=4
South Africa:3+1+0=4

I have to figure the "halo effect" is more than just home team spirit. I figure that in the 7 years between winning the host city and the Olympics, the funding for key sports in the winning country must go up dramatically.

London United Kingdom Europe XIV — Summer 1948 July 29 August 14
Helsinki Finland Europe XV — Summer 1952 July 19 August 3
Stockholm Sweden Europe XVI — Summer 1956 November 22 December 8
Rome Italy Europe XVII — Summer 1960 August 25 September 11
Tokyo Japan Asia XVIII — Summer 1964 October 10 October 24
Mexico City Mexico North America XIX — Summer 1968 October 12 October 27
Munich West Germany Europe XX — Summer 1972 August 26 September 11
Montreal Canada North America XXI — Summer 1976 July 17 August 1
Moscow Soviet Union Europe[d] XXII — Summer 1980 July 19 August 3
Los Angeles United States North America XXIII — Summer 1984 July 28 August 12
Seoul South Korea Asia XXIV — Summer 1988 September 17 October 2
Barcelona Spain Europe XXV — Summer 1992 July 25 August 9
Atlanta United States North America XXVI — Summer 1996 July 19 August 4
Sydney Australia Australia XXVII — Summer 2000 September 15 October 1
Athens Greece Europe XXVIII — Summer 2004 August 13 August 29
Beijing China Asia XXIX — Summer 2008 August 8 August 24
London United Kingdom Europe XXX — Summer 2012 July 27 August 12

The GB Olympic committee supposedly targeted 48 medals for the United Kingdom, (one more than in Beijing). Interestingly enough they reached 48 after day 11 (of 16), with an incredible 22 of them gold. Sadly it's has been 1.5 days since then without a single Bronze.
pacomartin
pacomartin
August 9th, 2012 at 12:41:20 PM permalink
London bookmakers have stopped taking bets. USA is assumed to win both overall medal count and gold medal count.
Combined China and USA is estimated to win at least 10% less than at Beijing.

I would be curious if anyone bet on the UK having such an incredible showing. When the first four days passed with a single gold for Team GBR, I was a little worried. But since they seems to have surpassed even the strongest expectation of the Olympic Committee, someone should have won something on a bet.
thecesspit
thecesspit
August 9th, 2012 at 12:46:09 PM permalink
That's okay, we got another two golds (equestrian and boxing) today.

I suspected a slow start, considering the events. The only one that looked good early on was the 250km men's road race. Which didn't go to plan.
pacomartin
pacomartin
August 9th, 2012 at 1:11:38 PM permalink

That's okay, we got another two golds (equestrian and boxing) today.

I suspected a slow start, considering the events. The only one that looked good early on was the 250km men's road race. Which didn't go to plan.

These two races on day #2 had to be frustrating
Cycling: Women's road race: Elizabeth Armitstead won Silver
Swimming: Women's 400 m freestyle: Rebecca Adlington won Bronze

Rebecca Adlington has the world record in 800 m freestyle. Her personal bests would have won two golds, instead she won two bronzes. She retired in style, but it was a huge disappointment.
teddys
teddys
August 9th, 2012 at 3:30:42 PM permalink

There is very clearly an extremely strong correlation between funding and medals. Look at sub-Saharan Africa with almost a billion people. There medal share is pretty small, and it is shared by only three nations.
Kenya:1+2+2=5
Ethiopia:2+0+2=4
South Africa:3+1+0=4

You left off a bunch of countries including Zimbabwe, Cameroon, Ghana, Tanzania, Cameroon, Sudan and Senegal (among others) who have all won medals. The absolute most pathetic country in the Olympics is Bangladesh with a population of 146 million (8th largest in the world) and zero medals of any stripe. Most of the population lives in abject poverty. India also has a despicable medal record for being the world's second-largest country. (They used to be dominant in men's field hockey, but now they can't even qualify a team for the games.)

There is something to be said for the halo effect. Canada won the most golds of any country, and its biggest medal haul ever, at the 2010 Vancouver Games. Then again, they won no golds at either the 1976 Montreal or 1988 Calgary Games, both of which they hosted. Seoul 1988 absolutely skyrocketed Korea to the forefront, and of course there was Beijing 2008 for China and Tokyo 1960 for Japan. But those countries were already developing economically. Mexico City 1968 couldn't have come at a worse time economically and politically for Mexico.

I would have liked to have placed a few bridge-jumper bets in these games. I wonder what the odds were for stone-cold locks like gold for USA Women's Basketball, or gold for China in table tennis.
pacomartin
pacomartin
August 9th, 2012 at 4:54:32 PM permalink

You left off a bunch of countries including Zimbabwe, Cameroon, Ghana, Tanzania, Cameroon, Sudan and Senegal (among others) who have all won medals. The absolute most pathetic country in the Olympics is Bangladesh with a population of 146 million (8th largest in the world) and zero medals of any stripe. Most of the population lives in abject poverty.

I only listed the countries for the 2012 Olympics, not for all of history.

There is something to be said for the halo effect. Canada won the most golds of any country, and its biggest medal haul ever, at the 2010 Vancouver Games. Then again, they won no golds at either the 1976 Montreal or 1988 Calgary Games, both of which they hosted. Seoul 1988 absolutely skyrocketed Korea to the forefront, and of course there was Beijing 2008 for China and Tokyo 1960 for Japan. But those countries were already developing economically. Mexico City 1968 couldn't have come at a worse time economically and politically for Mexico.

I still think a lot of the halo comes from the increased investment in sports in the 6-7 years between winning the competition and hosting the Olympics. It will be interesting what happens to Brazil in four years.

The NBC Olympics lists Brazil at 203.4 million people, and the US Census bureau estimates their peak population at 232.5 before they begin decreasing. Like China, they have tamed the population explosion, and are ready to enter the first world economically.

China is listed as 1336.7 million people, with the Census predicting a peak population of 1395.0 million at their peak. Neither Brazil nor China needs to make the desperate attempt to provide jobs for the newborns their national priority.
pacomartin
pacomartin
August 12th, 2012 at 9:52:43 AM permalink
An amazing 13 gold medals in the last weekend by Russia leaves them in third place in terms of number of medals. Despite the very slow start, they actually beat their performance in Beijing.

Great Britain with 29 gold beat Russia's 24 gold and came surprisingly close to China's 38 gold. The four countries took nearly half of the total gold medals.
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
August 12th, 2012 at 11:59:21 AM permalink
" Sailing, Equestrian and Rowing have always been "upper class" sports, j"

Surely you jest . I am fairly certain most of the forum member's have a sailboat or yacht. As for horses, will you not be attending the Wiz's polo tournament ?.
  • Jump to: