RaspberryCheeseBlintz
RaspberryCheeseBlintz
  • Threads: 5
October 22nd, 2011 at 3:14:07 PM permalink
Just looking for info, as general or as specific as possible, about writing my own sims of card games.
dwheatley
dwheatley
  • Threads: 25
October 22nd, 2011 at 3:22:57 PM permalink
If you just want to simulate, without any interfaces, you just need to know a programming language: Java, C++, MatLab.

Create arrays, vectors or matrices to represent your cards, and off you go. You can program in draw rules, use random numbers to draw cards, create arrays to hold the deck, hands, and then the results. Pretty easy with some practice
Wisdom is the quality that keeps you out of situations where you would otherwise need it
heather
heather
  • Threads: 8
October 22nd, 2011 at 8:38:24 PM permalink
Desktop, mobile, Flash, client side or server side, PHP or ASP - what sort of sims are we talking about developing here? Do you want to test your own theories about existing games for yourself, or demo a new game for others? You're asking for some extremely broad information here.
RaspberryCheeseBlintz
RaspberryCheeseBlintz
October 25th, 2011 at 4:28:24 PM permalink
I was basically wondering if there were some common algorithms for the stuff in your second paragraph.
RaspberryCheeseBlintz
RaspberryCheeseBlintz
October 25th, 2011 at 4:29:15 PM permalink
Quote: heather

Desktop, mobile, Flash, client side or server side, PHP or ASP - what sort of sims are we talking about developing here? Do you want to test your own theories about existing games for yourself, or demo a new game for others? You're asking for some extremely broad information here.

Desktop for "my own theories".
dwheatley
dwheatley
  • Threads: 25
October 25th, 2011 at 5:13:47 PM permalink
I simulated a baccarat deck by creating a simple [1x13] array that held the number of cards left to deal from an 8 deck shoe. So, it started as 13 cells of the number 32. Then I pull cards randomly from it, updating the array as I go.

Program in the draw rules into another table, and you have a baccarat simulator. Track results in another table. Make a big for loop for each hand in a shoe, and a big for loop for each shoe. I think lots of people would do it this way, but it's not like there are open source algorithms for doing this. It's so easy to code if you have the programming knowledge.

There are people on this site who might do the work for you; some for free, others for a fee.
Wisdom is the quality that keeps you out of situations where you would otherwise need it
  • Jump to: