5 votes (55.55%)
No votes (0%)
2 votes (22.22%)

9 members have voted

onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 212
August 14th, 2018 at 9:02:05 PM permalink
Seems like the internet has been sending a repeating message to me lately, don't eat moldy food even if you remove the mold. Under where you can see the mold you have removed, it supposedly can still exist. Mold on bread, mold on sour cream, I just have always just removed the mold and eaten everything just fine with no worries. Have you seen such content, have you changed your habits?
I am a robot.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
August 14th, 2018 at 9:05:40 PM permalink
Irish mothers used moldy bread as a cure all long before Fleming "discovered" penicillin.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
  • Threads: 57
Thanked by
onenickelmiracle
August 14th, 2018 at 9:19:07 PM permalink
You're not supposed to with bread, because the rest of it can be contaminated with spores that aren't yet visible.

The USDA has a list of foods you can remove the mold from and still use.
ChesterDog
ChesterDog
  • Threads: 8
August 14th, 2018 at 9:32:37 PM permalink
Quote: gamerfreak

You're not supposed to with bread, because the rest of it can be contaminated with spores that aren't yet visible.

Thanks for that information!

Until recently I have thrown away only the visibly moldy parts of food, but after hearing of the new warnings I discard moldy food.
RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
August 14th, 2018 at 11:11:56 PM permalink
I don’t think I’ve even ever considered just removing the mold and eating other stuff around it. Nope! If there’s any bit of mold on something, it all gets thrown out.

On a similar subject, we would feed our dogs the end pieces of a loaf of bread (not moldy obv) when I was growing up. Dogs dgaf about crust.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
August 15th, 2018 at 4:15:18 AM permalink
Quote: gamerfreak

Great resource, thanks! I have always thrown away moldy bread or grains, cut the mold off dairy products like sour cream and cheese, washed and trimmed mold off things like tomatoes and cut them fine to check for inner rot, and checked meat for color and smell both uncooked and cooked. Now I get to look and see how close I am to their recommendations.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
FinsRule
FinsRule
  • Threads: 128
August 15th, 2018 at 4:43:38 AM permalink
I have an irrational fear of mold. Bleck!
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
August 15th, 2018 at 5:22:20 AM permalink
There are some people who thrive on wild yeasts and molds of a certain type. Its a risk I don't care to take unnecessarily.
Visible mold is rarely all that is there and its often safer to ditch the product than take risks.

Consider Anorexia Nervosa. Yeah you know, those skinny broads who like it that way. Although usually treated with psychological mumbo jumbo its root cause is usually infected rye that works its way into the commercial food chain. Moist rye leads to death from starvation. Serious consequences even for those die hards who believe in the Thinspiration movement.

Pumpernickle used to make Kvass can have excellent health benefits but for some it can exacerbate gout and other joint diseases.

Fermenting something and then eating it after it turns good is a lifestyle. Why do you think squirrels bury acorns and then come back for them. Ponder that question and have some acorn beer as you do.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
August 15th, 2018 at 5:30:25 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

Irish mothers used moldy bread as a cure all long before Fleming "discovered" penicillin.

If you ain't got no money for a doctor using moldy bread is the only option.

Many molds do good things. Many molds do bad things.
CrystalMath
CrystalMath
  • Threads: 8
August 15th, 2018 at 5:47:21 AM permalink
I am very sensitive to the smell of mold, and I can smell it before the mold is visible on bread. I usually throw away the entire loaf, but I have rarely salvaged a piece or two at the opppsite end. With cheese, I cut off about 1/8” on every side. I’m also very sensitive to rancid milk smell. It’s ironic, because I have a terrible sense of smell with most things.
I heart Crystal Math.
Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 36
August 15th, 2018 at 8:28:50 AM permalink
If I can see the mold on the bread, I'll throw the whole loaf out. As for the smell, if it has a strong moldy odor, I will toss it. If it's just a faint whiff, I'll still eat it, but toast it first.

Oddly enough, the beef that is used used at high end steakhouses is dry-aged with the intent for it to grow mold. The mold serves to help tenderize the meat. Of course, all the mold is trimmed prior to preparing your steak.
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1494
August 15th, 2018 at 9:11:11 AM permalink
I won't eat moldy bread, but if cheese is slightly moldy I'll cut off the moldy part and eat the rest.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 26
August 15th, 2018 at 9:39:06 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

I won't eat moldy bread, but if cheese is slightly moldy I'll cut off the moldy part and eat the rest.

Apparently it's safe to do that with cheese, but not bread.

I didn't know that; I've been eating non-moldy parts of bread for years, but I guess I shouldn't anymore.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
August 15th, 2018 at 10:02:03 AM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

I didn't know that; I've been eating non-moldy parts of bread for years, but I guess I shouldn't anymore.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
RogerKint
RogerKint
  • Threads: 15
August 15th, 2018 at 10:18:52 AM permalink

How dare your body defy almighty science! Get sick! Get sick right now!!!
100% risk of ruin
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 212
August 15th, 2018 at 10:40:58 AM permalink

This is my problem with this so-called knowledge. Authority says there can be mold you cannot see, but what does that mean exactly? What exactly is the risk, what are the odds, etc.? Don't think the people warning you even know. Unless there is some spread of a super poisonous, super cancer causing mold, there is no reason for me to change my habits. The word "could" is very vague. It would be common sense, for if there was a lot of mold, the hidden mold would be great in number, but for a speck, the hidden mold would be very tiny. Sour cream is the biggest thing you see mold on normally, it's common, and I'm not going out to the store to get more when I need sour cream. At this point, I didn't really count on the sour cream being a bit infected, chances are whatever food I'm planning to eat is ready to eat and I will take that chance.
I am a robot.
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
Thanked by
RogerKint
August 15th, 2018 at 11:00:48 AM permalink
Quote: Joeman

Oddly enough, the beef that is used used at high end steakhouses is dry-aged with the intent for it to grow mold. The mold serves to help tenderize the meat. Of course, all the mold is trimmed prior to preparing your steak.

Last elk I had hung at >50*f for a week after being field dressed and quartered out. Cut off the goopy bits, cook and serve. I would fight one thousand bees (or 15 eagles) for just one more strap. Letting a slow cooked roast sit in the pot for 2 to 4 days is also next to god.
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
August 15th, 2018 at 11:37:24 AM permalink
Microbes are what makes bread different from Matzo. There are mold spores everywhere, including transfer from the hands that touch the slice of bread to take it out of the package. Fear not America! Eat until it tastes funny.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
  • Jump to: