harvey
harvey
  • Threads: 1
March 15th, 2014 at 7:39:31 AM permalink
Hi
Simple question Do u hit or stand on a 16v10 when playing BS in Blackjack.
2 angles to take into account. If u stand and the dealer hits the 7 thru ace then u r done but if u hit then there is more chance of u busting right so u think well the dealer is gonna beat me anyway so hit and increase my odds of getting nearer the 21 right BUT what if u stand and the dealer takes your low card then a higher card and busts heho u win right so can anyone shed some light on this problematic hand as I am an avid BS player and want to keep with this strategy but sometimes stuff puts me off a little like this horrid scenario that keeps coming up. Cheers guys and gals
SlackJawYokel
SlackJawYokel
  • Threads: 7
March 15th, 2014 at 7:58:20 AM permalink
Do you have surrender available in the game you play?
harvey
harvey
March 15th, 2014 at 8:13:21 AM permalink
no not here in the UK but what do you think of my views
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
March 15th, 2014 at 8:50:47 AM permalink
Quote: harvey

Hi
2 angles to take into account. If u stand and the dealer hits the 7 thru ace then u r done but if u hit then there is more chance of u busting right so u think well the dealer is gonna beat me anyway so hit and increase my odds of getting nearer the 21 right BUT what if u stand and the dealer takes your low card then a higher card and busts heho u win right so can anyone shed some light on this problematic hand as I am an avid BS player and want to keep with this strategy but sometimes stuff puts me off a little like this horrid scenario that keeps coming up. Cheers guys and gals

The proper way to think of basic strategy is this.... which of all the available options will over time either win me the most money, or in the case you specifically mention.... lose me the least...? The math for each possible option has been done, and may vary depending on the specific rules of the game (Is surrender allowed, does dealer stand on soft 17, how many times are you allowed to split..., etc...)
The specific example you give is one that your brain can't get a wrap on.... you always remember the time you hit and bust, but you rarely remember the time you hit and get that 5 and beat the dealer. If you decide Basic Strategy is wrong, standing 16 versus a 10 costs you very little, but it is still the wrong play. If you are counting cards there are scenarios where basic strategy changes, but I don't think that is what you are asking about.

Go to the sister site, Wizard of odds, for lots of good info on BJ.
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 117
March 15th, 2014 at 9:29:54 AM permalink
I "crunched the numbers" and got this (although keep in mind that I don't surrender):

If it's a single-deck or double-deck game, stand on hard 16 vs 10

If it's three decks or more, hit 16 vs 10
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
March 15th, 2014 at 9:38:51 AM permalink

I am an avid BS player

to stand is considered a composition-dependent exception to BS

honestly, it matters little. You can even just go on hunches IMO.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
BleedingChipsSlowly
BleedingChipsSlowly
  • Threads: 23
March 15th, 2014 at 10:17:55 AM permalink
You can get the recommended BS plays for almost any BJ game using the Blackjack Basic Strategy Calculator the Wizard developed. If you are curious, the probabilites guiding the BS decisions can be seen at Blackjack Appendix 2: Dealer Probabilities. You will find the tables support odiousgambit's opinion that the "correct play" advantage is so slight it is one time you can just go with a hunch with a clear conscience.
“You don’t bring a bone saw to a negotiation.” - Robert Jordan, former U.S. ambassador to Saudi Arabia
1BB
1BB
  • Threads: 18
March 15th, 2014 at 11:22:37 AM permalink

Hi

Welcome Harvey. There is a wealth of excellent information about your question on this very site. You may be surprised to learn that sometimes you'll hit and other times you'll want to stay. Click on the search function just above your first post and type in 16 vs 10 or 3 card 16 vs 10.
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
harvey
harvey
March 15th, 2014 at 7:01:46 PM permalink
thankyou to everyone that took the trouble to respond and I might add that u all helped me a gr8 deal.
  • Jump to: