Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1494
January 7th, 2013 at 11:30:03 AM permalink
I planned a one-week family trip to San Jose del Cabo back in August. My younger daughter couldn't go because AirTran refused to let her board because he passport was due to expire within six months. I've heard some other countrires have this policy as an entry requirement, but believe that Mexico is not on that list. The State Department page on Mexico does list any such rule or policy. It just says, "Since March 1, 2010, all U.S. citizens – including children – have been required to present a valid passport or passport card for travel into Mexico. ".

I think that AirTran incorrectly ruined this six-year-old girl's vacation because they have an incorrect understanding of the laws regarding travel to Mexico. I admit that I bare some responsibility too, and should have renewed her passport before the trip, as a precautionary measure.

My main point is to let the reader learn from my experience. To be safe, I would sutract six months from when your passport is supposed to expire, and assume that to be the true expiration date. Check passports of all family members often to make sure they are all good. Passports for children are valid for five years only, and it is easy to forget to keep renewing them.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
January 7th, 2013 at 11:35:01 AM permalink
My sympathies to your daughter, probably took it pretty hard.

How hard is it to get a passport renewed?
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
January 7th, 2013 at 11:54:01 AM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

Pretty easy. Get two passport photos, download the application, and bring it all, including birth certificate and prior passport, to the post office (some may not offer this service), with the requisite fee. For children, both parents needs to be present to sign off in person, with some exceptions for death, divorce, and other such good cause.
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
January 7th, 2013 at 12:26:27 PM permalink
So did you just leave your daughter behind?
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
January 7th, 2013 at 3:33:32 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

I was wondering the same thing...
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
January 7th, 2013 at 4:12:22 PM permalink

Yes, but she was with her mother, whose passport had expired about four months ago. I had no cause to complain about that one.

I post this picture for no particular reason...

boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
January 8th, 2013 at 10:44:56 AM permalink
The Government of Canada's travel site states:

Quote: http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/mexico-mexique/consul/visas.aspx?view=d

All Canadian citizens need a valid passport to enter Mexico. Canadian citizens without a valid passport will not be allowed entry into Mexico and will be returned to Canada. In order to avoid delays and misunderstandings, we strongly recommend that you travel with a passport valid for six months after your arrival date.

The six month rule does not apply to Mexico. This was an airline policy that was invoked. Sue the airline, or at least have them pony up a freebie for the inconvenience.
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
debitncredit
debitncredit
  • Threads: 53
January 8th, 2013 at 11:00:01 AM permalink
Sue! Sue! Sue! Or call them and threaten to bring legal action, and see what they do for you.
Nareed
Nareed
January 8th, 2013 at 11:06:53 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Yes, but she was with her mother, whose passport had expired about four months ago. I had no cause to complain about that one.

So you left your wife and daughter behind and then went on vacation with the other children? That's really odd, and poor planning to boot. Much worse than the time my dad left behind his US visa before trying, unsuccessfully, to fly to NYC.

International travel is getting more complicated. It used to be you only needed a current passport and that was it. Of course, back then immigration to most countries was relatively open. Still, until ten years ago or so, there was no nonsense about having a passport valid for six months after the travel date.

A few years back, and I posted about this, some moron led me on a wild goose chase regarding a rule requiring a visa valid for six months for entering the US. As usual, trying to prove a negative is hard and time-consuming. If sucha rule were valid, you'd think it would be prominently displayed in the US State Department's web site, not to mention in various airline sites which do isntruct travelers in what documents are needed for travel.

Next time check the airline's website before even booking. Regardless of what the actual governemnt rules are, the ariline does check your documents and can deny you boarding if you don't comply.
GH
GH
  • Threads: 7
January 8th, 2013 at 11:16:10 AM permalink

As of last month, the waiting period for processing mail order renewals was less than 10 days, without having to pay for expedited processing. Also, only one photo is required now.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
January 8th, 2013 at 12:57:42 PM permalink
It was arbitrary and capricious for the Airline to invoke such a rule that was probably more whimsical than officially adopted.

You should be able to get a modest settlement from the airline.

Sounds like your need for a Tickler File is even greater than mine. Even expedited renewal goes faster with an FYI email to a Congressman.

Experienced travelers avoid chit chat with officials and clerks... everything you reveal is a danger to your further plans.

Overall, it was not such a bad headache and travel to Mexican resorts is not all that dangerous, you might want to see McPhee's viewpoints on policemen who earn less than a dollar an hour and can't read. His disguises were creative, his ploys well thought out but his friends are still in prison and his dogs are still dead. So being clever and resourceful in a foreign culture is good but its still a foreign culture!
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
January 8th, 2013 at 1:40:09 PM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

you might want to see McPhee's viewpoints on policemen who earn less than a dollar an hour and can't read. His disguises were creative, his ploys well thought out but his friends are still in prison and his dogs are still dead. So being clever and resourceful in a foreign culture is good but its still a foreign culture!

got a link?
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
January 8th, 2013 at 1:46:13 PM permalink

got a link?

www.whoismcafee.com
link
thecesspit
thecesspit
January 8th, 2013 at 1:46:59 PM permalink

International travel is getting more complicated. It used to be you only needed a current passport and that was it. Of course, back then immigration to most countries was relatively open. Still, until ten years ago or so, there was no nonsense about having a passport valid for six months after the travel date.

A few years back, and I posted about this, some moron led me on a wild goose chase regarding a rule requiring a visa valid for six months for entering the US. As usual, trying to prove a negative is hard and time-consuming. If sucha rule were valid, you'd think it would be prominently displayed in the US State Department's web site, not to mention in various airline sites which do isntruct travelers in what documents are needed for travel.

UK passports holders have always had to have 6 months left on their passport before entering the US. The Visa Waiver form would state it was for 6 months, hence the passport could not run out before the visa waiver did. It is something that was displayed on British Airways and Virgin Atlantic websites (or at the travel agents, as I hardly booked online 12 years ago).

However, I see no reason why anyone whose hadn't come across this before would know this, and if the airline never informed you of this, I'd be rather upset at them.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
Nareed
Nareed
January 8th, 2013 at 2:58:40 PM permalink
Quote: thecesspit

UK passports holders have always had to have 6 months left on their passport before entering the US. The Visa Waiver form would state it was for 6 months, hence the passport could not run out before the visa waiver did.

Let me make sure I understand this: instead of getting a visa for entering the US, you have to get a visa waiver to enter the US?

If so, what's the difference between that and getting a visa? I always thought the visa wiaver for specific coutnries meant citizens of said countries didn't need a visa.

Quote:

It is something that was displayed on British Airways and Virgin Atlantic websites (or at the travel agents, as I hardly booked online 12 years ago).

When you book on a Mexican airline site, it says nothing about travel docuemtns. But all airlines (Interjet, Volaris, Aeromexico and the late, unlamented Mexicana), do have a section on travel docuemnts on their websites. They specify the US and Canadian visas in particular. whn i booked with Expedia, about 7 years ago, there was a note before finalizing the sale to the effect that I'm responsible for knowing and/or posessing the necessary travel docuements, with a link to some information site (I forget which one).
thecesspit
thecesspit
January 8th, 2013 at 4:10:34 PM permalink

Let me make sure I understand this: instead of getting a visa for entering the US, you have to get a visa waiver to enter the US?

If so, what's the difference between that and getting a visa? I always thought the visa wiaver for specific coutnries meant citizens of said countries didn't need a visa.

I used to fill out the waiver on the plane, or at the border crossing. I now do it electronically before I travel, and only has be renewed every 2 years, as I recall. I normally check before I fly to make sure my current Waiver and Authorization to Travel (ESTA runs this) is up to date.

Border crossing used to charge $6 for the waiver form processing.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
January 8th, 2013 at 4:28:10 PM permalink
Quote: boymimbo

This was an airline policy that was invoked. Sue the airline, or at least have them pony up a freebie for the inconvenience.

Since my last post I was building up an argument to complain to the airline, and came to the same conclusion. It was airline policy, not that of the US or Mexican governments. I could see them saying that I probably clicked something that said "I read and agree with every single AirTrans policy" when I booked the flight. I've decided to not pursue the matter. I feel stupid about it and just want to get past it.

So you left your wife and daughter behind and then went on vacation with the other children? That's really odd, and poor planning to boot.

Yup. I don't apologize either. The other three sets of airline tickets and the condo were already paid for. Why waste them. Mi puntos de maridiendo fue tan menos, se no pueden disminuir mas. Don't correct that -- you know what I mean.
100xOdds
100xOdds
  • Threads: 642
January 8th, 2013 at 4:47:22 PM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

It was arbitrary and capricious for the Airline to invoke such a rule that was probably more whimsical than officially adopted.

You should be able to get a modest settlement from the airline.

Sounds like your need for a Tickler File is even greater than mine. Even expedited renewal goes faster with an FYI email to a Congressman.

Experienced travelers avoid chit chat with officials and clerks... everything you reveal is a danger to your further plans.

Overall, it was not such a bad headache and travel to Mexican resorts is not all that dangerous, you might want to see McPhee's viewpoints on policemen who earn less than a dollar an hour and can't read. His disguises were creative, his ploys well thought out but his friends are still in prison and his dogs are still dead. So being clever and resourceful in a foreign culture is good but its still a foreign culture!

what?!

the ping pong ball girls are no longer worth it in mexicos current climate of hostages/executions of foreigners.

edit:
nevermind.. thought you were the author of this thread. clicked on the link and your post came up on top/

to the Wiz: WTF? u left your wife and kids behind. musta been one hell of a donkey show
Craps is paradise (Pair of dice). Lets hear it for the SpeedCount Mathletes :)
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
January 8th, 2013 at 5:52:23 PM permalink
What does a donkey show mean? Wizard went to Mexico to purchase donkeys?
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
January 8th, 2013 at 5:56:55 PM permalink
Quote: 100xOdds

WTF? u left your wife and kids behind. musta been one hell of a donkey show

If you mean what I think you mean, thats a pretty
rude thing to say.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
January 8th, 2013 at 6:52:24 PM permalink
Quote: Mission146

What does a donkey show mean? Wizard went to Mexico to purchase donkeys?

I have heard in Tijuana there are "donkey shows" where women do unspeakable things with donkeys. Where I went in San Jose del Cabo is another world, where rich older people go to dine, golf, and shop for art. For exciting nightlife, you have to go to Cabo San Lucas, which is about 20 miles away, but I don't think even they have donkey shows.
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
January 8th, 2013 at 6:55:55 PM permalink
Oh, wow.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
January 8th, 2013 at 7:18:59 PM permalink

Oh, wow.

Havana was famous for donkey shows before Castro. They
even have one in Godfather II..
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
  • Threads: 32
January 8th, 2013 at 10:08:12 PM permalink

Oh, wow.

You hadn't heard of this? Here's what wikipedia has to say on the matter: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donkey_show
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
January 9th, 2013 at 10:40:55 AM permalink
Quote: AxiomOfChoice

You hadn't heard of this? Here's what wikipedia has to say on the matter: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donkey_show

Also, watch Clerks II.
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
Nareed
Nareed
January 9th, 2013 at 11:33:11 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Don't correct that -- you know what I mean.

I quit correcting gibberish long ago.
  • Jump to: