odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
January 25th, 2012 at 7:26:51 AM permalink
This site having quite a few members with this orientation, this seems to be something we could discuss - or not.

Great cartoon! it comes from the link.

the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1494
January 25th, 2012 at 8:22:00 AM permalink
While at the Las Vegas airport I noticed two young women looking at a poster of the Chippendales dancers. One of them remarked to the other, "Those guys are all fruits." I wonder if it was something about they way they looked, or if males strippers in general tend to be gay.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
joeinkc
joeinkc
  • Threads: 4
January 25th, 2012 at 8:24:00 AM permalink
So if this were true, Will and Grace wouldn't have actually happened *sarcasm* :) I would say that this leaves out the possibility for bisexuality. Would a women be able to identify gay/bisexual/straight men just from pictures? Also, if this were true, then more women wouldn't be caught up in sex scandals when their husbands are caught in hotel rooms with hustlers and blow....
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
January 25th, 2012 at 8:28:39 AM permalink
I have suspected many women of *knowingly* marrying gay men. There could be multiple motivations for that, but the one that stands out in my [actually uninformed] mind is the need many women have to be control freaks about their home, and zeroing on Mr. Milquetoast.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
January 25th, 2012 at 8:54:46 AM permalink
The best Gaydar joke was on Futurama. Bender claimed to have it, and then he pulls a box with a dish antenna to prove it :)
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
January 25th, 2012 at 9:16:18 AM permalink
I don't know if mere facial features are universally that strong a signal.

There is no question that teenage girls about to ovulate are at their peak of olfactory skills. There is a difference between women on the pill and women not on the pill. Evolution probably selected for receptiveness at appropriate times of the month. For females its a real investment and skills that avoid wasting time with a male who doesn't rape, pillage and kill probably came in handy.

Many species determine the sex of an offspring by resource availability so in other species its not all One or the Other. Cruising gays seem to recognize each other, so why would we expect human females to not have some ability to recognize a disinterested male who would make a poor investment.
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
January 25th, 2012 at 9:47:39 AM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

This site having quite a few members with this orientation

I don't think that there are more than the standard 10%. What does your gaydar tell you?
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
January 25th, 2012 at 9:50:47 AM permalink
Quote:

=pacomartinWhat does your gaydar tell you?

Perhaps it is a compliment to the Wizard and his site, that quite a few here feel free to be open about it. I don't have the figures.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
January 25th, 2012 at 1:23:30 PM permalink
My wife says if a man looks attentive, like he's paying
attention, he's probably Gay. If he looks distant, he's
probably not.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
January 25th, 2012 at 1:39:40 PM permalink
Clearly not all women have this skill or pay heed to it. One woman had no doubts until her honeymoon when she felt her brand new husband was looking too long at the bronzed males. Some women marry "caspar milquetoast" for control issues but it would seem that would be so foolish that it must be infrequently done. Many of those Chippendale-type dancers are straight but once the women get "pre-heated" during the show its often not an issue afterward.
EvenBob
EvenBob
January 25th, 2012 at 1:49:16 PM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

Many of those Chippendale-type dancers are straight

Most (all?) of the dancers you see in Hollywood
musicals in the 40's and 50's were Gay. It was
considered a Gay business, and a straight dancer
would get a rep he could never live down. Which
is funny because Astaire and Kelly were both straight,
but they weren't line dancers either. Astaire's dance
partner was his sister, and Kelly's family owned a
dance studio.
Tiltpoul
Tiltpoul
  • Threads: 32
January 25th, 2012 at 2:36:37 PM permalink
I'm curious to know what tips people off to being gay. Obvious mannerisms? Interests? The easy things sometimes aren't as easy as they seem.

I'll leave it at that for now
"One out of every four people are [morons]"- Kyle, South Park
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
  • Threads: 51
January 25th, 2012 at 2:41:47 PM permalink
Quote: Tiltpoul

I'm curious to know what tips people off to being gay. Obvious mannerisms? Interests? The easy things sometimes aren't as easy as they seem.

I'll leave it at that for now

Go to youtube and learn about the Honey Badger. Report back.
Someday, joor goin' to see the name of Googie Gomez in lights and joor goin' to say to joorself, "Was that her?" and then joor goin' to answer to joorself, "That was her!" But you know somethin' mister? I was always her yuss nobody knows it! - Googie Gomez
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
  • Threads: 264
January 25th, 2012 at 6:21:59 PM permalink
I guess I don't have it. Here's a Sortof funny story:

I have always been a big fan of Melissa Etheridge. So I took
my wife to a concert years ago, and the Mrs commented on
all the lesbians in the audience (they were kindof obvious).

So when it finally dawned on me that Melissa was indeed a lesbian
(and I'm not sure I came to that conclusion until she
stepped out of the closet) I said I
did wonder why she didn't dress a little nicer on stage.

OK, I said right up front that it was sortof a funny
story. My wife thought my cluelessness was very funny.
There's emptiness behind their eyes There's dust in all their hearts They just want to steal us all and take us all apart
zippyboy
zippyboy
  • Threads: 2
January 25th, 2012 at 6:24:31 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

My wife says if a man looks attentive, like he's paying
attention, he's probably Gay. If he looks distant, he's
probably not.

What if he's being attentive in bed? What then?

I guess she's never had that happen?
"Poker sure is an easy game to beat if you have the roll to keep rebuying."
NicksGamingStuff
NicksGamingStuff
  • Threads: 50
January 25th, 2012 at 6:43:15 PM permalink
The gay dar is something I believe exists so a certain extent. It is not necessarily stereotypical factors, but I think is some kind of inner biological mechanism that identifies certain people. I like to think I am not flaming gay, but I do think I am more obvious than others. I have met some guys that I would swear are 100% gay and they claim to be straight. I have also met some other gay men that I wonder how they can be gay because they seem so heterosexual. I dislike it when people ask me if I am, because it is not their concern.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
January 25th, 2012 at 7:06:00 PM permalink
Quote: NicksGamingStuff

I dislike it when people ask me if I am, because it is not their concern.

Were they not concerned, they would not have asked.
"What, me worry?"
EvenBob
EvenBob
January 25th, 2012 at 7:36:38 PM permalink
Quote: NicksGamingStuff

I dislike it when people ask me if I am, because it is not their concern.

Nick, how do you know what their concerns are.
If you mean its none of their business, that may
be true.
RogerKint
RogerKint
  • Threads: 15
January 25th, 2012 at 7:40:21 PM permalink
More than one girl friend has called me gay or bi just because I say a guy has a nice physique or is good-looking. I'm not attracted to other men and I don't see what the big deal is if I admire another man's physique or style.
100% risk of ruin
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
January 25th, 2012 at 8:01:52 PM permalink
Quote: Tiltpoul

Let us shift briefly to "Depression" and "Depressiveness". (Depressiveness is the telegraphing of the depressed state to others). Go to a cocktail party and the depressed patients will all be in one corner talking to each other.
What are the subtle clues?

We all know girls occasionally ask for personal items, yet how do they select which female to approach to obtain such items? Odor cues? Behavior cues?

Do gay males not glance at females often enough? Or do females observe gay males glancing at other males too often.
zippyboy
zippyboy
  • Threads: 2
January 25th, 2012 at 8:52:07 PM permalink
Quote: RogerKint

More than one girl friend has called me gay or bi just because I say a guy has a nice physique or is good-looking. I'm not attracted to other men and I don't see what the big deal is if I admire another man's physique or style.

Girlfriend? You mean you've slept together? And she still calls you gay? And more than one girlfriend has done this??? Dude....
"Poker sure is an easy game to beat if you have the roll to keep rebuying."
RogerKint
RogerKint
  • Threads: 15
January 25th, 2012 at 11:02:42 PM permalink
That's exactly what I say. It doesn't make sense. Point is, I don't believe in gaydar. Just because a man is "feminine" or doesn't act like a typical alpha jock doesn't mean he's gay. I think girls who are quick to call someone gay might be jealous.
100% risk of ruin
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
January 26th, 2012 at 3:44:29 AM permalink
Quote: RogerKint

That's exactly what I say. It doesn't make sense. Point is, I don't believe in gaydar. Just because a man is "feminine" or doesn't act like a typical alpha jock doesn't mean he's gay. I think girls who are quick to call someone gay might be jealous.

But the study shows they are good at it. Accurate. So, you are gay. JUST KIDDING! Seriously, the advice that is out there is to be confident in your sexuality. If you are hetero, and confident, you can get away with saying a guy is nice looking. If not radiating such confidence, avoid those comments.
  • Jump to: