No votes (0%)

1 member has voted

pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
July 26th, 2011 at 6:56:28 AM permalink
COMCAST bans man from Internet for using too much data

The line in the article that got my attention is:
Vrignaud, like many others, thinks Comcast's limits are really about trying to protect its core video cable business from people switching to online alternatives such as Netflix and Hulu.

Spokesman Charlie Douglas says the 250 GB limit, which it imposed in October 2008 after agreeing to not throttle peer-to-peer traffic, is intended to keep users like Vrignaud from impacting their neighbors. Median data usage for its cable internet customers is 4 to 6 GBs per month, according to Douglas.

It seems to me that free internet, or free internet with a $10 surcharge for Netflix streaming or Hulu Plus is now a reasonable competition for Cable TV. With some glaring exceptions, most TV series are now on the internet by the next day (sometimes 7 or 8 days later).

Is there anyone on this forum who no longer has Cable TV, but just uses internet?
cardshark
cardshark
  • Threads: 9
July 26th, 2011 at 7:29:25 AM permalink
I got rid of my cable tv about 6 months ago in favour of Netflix, Hulu and the video store on the PS3. I was paying $50+ per month for cable. Now I pay less than $10 and I don't have to watch commercials or adhere to the tv networks schedule.

It isn't perfect, but it works well for me. I find the video quality good enough. The lack of live sports doesn't bother me (I don't like sports). The lack of the 6 o'clock news is fine by me, too, as I switched to getting my news online a few years ago.

I feel comfortable recommending it for people like myself, who don't watch sports or the news.
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
July 26th, 2011 at 8:17:45 AM permalink
I have satellite, and I also have a Roku box that streams Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime, and a whole lot of others. Honestly, I don't sit down to watch movies or shows all that much. I watch baseball and football, and I like to watch old game shows from the '70s.
A falling knife has no handle.
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
July 26th, 2011 at 8:24:03 AM permalink
I cancelled cable at end of football season, and use netflix and the internet and radio. Hard decision is when NFL season starts. I wish I could pay per view games easily.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
heather
heather
  • Threads: 8
July 26th, 2011 at 8:48:25 AM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

Is there anyone on this forum who no longer has Cable TV, but just uses internet?

I went from June 2009 - April 2011 getting all of my TV from the Internet. I move frequently, and like being able to get different countries' television online. I'm only getting cable TV now because it was part of my phone/Internet package whether I wanted it or not.
TheNightfly
TheNightfly
  • Threads: 23
July 26th, 2011 at 8:54:18 AM permalink
For anyone who is looking for live sports (lots of international soccer) or news through the internet, you may wish to have a look at this website: atdhenet.tv

I used it during the NHL playoffs (I don't have cable) and although the picture quality often leaves something to be desired it does have a decent selection of sports and a few movies (not new releases). I don't know who runs the site and you do have to watch the odd promotional spot when you open the window but it's an option some of you may find useful.
Happiness is underrated
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
July 26th, 2011 at 9:18:24 AM permalink
I hear Netflix is coming to Mexico any decade now...
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
matilda
matilda
  • Threads: 3
July 26th, 2011 at 9:21:47 AM permalink
I get everything from the internet. I live in a place where , after the tv change over, I receive only one over-the-air tv station; cable does not exist; cell phones do not work; the closest movie is 50 miles away. I could get satellite, but it is expensive. But I have a minor league phone company with DSL.
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
July 26th, 2011 at 1:32:45 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

I hear Netflix is coming to Mexico any decade now...

Netflix will be available in 2011 in Latin America
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
July 26th, 2011 at 6:12:37 PM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

Netflix will be available in 2011 in Latin America

And that's the next decade, isn't it? :P
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
July 26th, 2011 at 6:23:36 PM permalink
I don't get the Netflix thing. My daughter has it
and I look at the choices and usually theres nothing
I have the faintest interest in seeing. The vast majority
of movies are waste of time crap. All they do is fill
a couple hours with nothing. I have probably 100
tapes and DVD's of movies, but every one is something
I can watch again and again.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
July 26th, 2011 at 6:39:13 PM permalink
Several (tens?) of British TV shows (*) I haven't seen in years and happily sit through again, and again. The movies are in general weak, but the TV shows, worth the 7.99 per month. There's some good US/Canada stuff on there too (Mythbusters, Firefly, Community). Once I run ut of good stuff, now doubt I'll cancel it, but it doesn't seem to running out soon.

(*) Blackadder, Fry and Laurie, Pulling, Coupling, Fawlty Towers, Mitchell and Webb, Yes Minister (etc).
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
  • Jump to: