pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
July 22nd, 2011 at 10:32:52 PM permalink
It's been 125 years since the last Peace Time execution in Norway, and over 6 decades since their last war-time execution.

Now they have a horrific mass murderer on their hands. He killed more people in one spree than normally are murdered in 2 years in the country.

Maximum penalty laws seem inadequate in Norway with very few prisoners serving more than 14 years in jail.

How does a country feel at peace?
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
July 22nd, 2011 at 11:18:35 PM permalink
Although the U.S. doesn't allow grandfathering, I don't know if Norway does. Probably not, I'd guess.

Well, he could always "mysteriously" die in prison. A lot of governments have done interesting things above and beyond the laws when it comes to security.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
July 23rd, 2011 at 12:07:57 AM permalink
Lets wait and hear the whole story. Lets see whats
really going on.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
pacomartin
pacomartin
July 23rd, 2011 at 12:32:30 AM permalink
rxwine
rxwine
July 23rd, 2011 at 2:54:52 AM permalink
Translated (I believe) postings from the suspect

here
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
July 23rd, 2011 at 4:26:57 AM permalink
Fines imposed promptly and usually based on income are common in Scandinavian countries. Jail sentences are rare, usually short and often only a third or a half of a sentence is served usually commencing about a year from trial.
RonC
RonC
  • Threads: 40
July 23rd, 2011 at 5:02:20 AM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Lets wait and hear the whole story. Lets see whats
really going on.

"What is really going on" DOES matter, but not so much in regards to the mass murderer's eventual fate. The original post mentions that the possible sentences do not include the death penalty--or anything more than about 14 years in prison. I'm sorry--no matter what the "whole story" is, this person deserves the maximum sentence. There is no excuse for cold-blooded murder. If the person is "nuts", they can serve the maximum sentence in the appropriate nuthouse.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
July 23rd, 2011 at 7:29:49 AM permalink
This is not your garden variety mass murderer. He intentionally sought out children. How anyone can be against the death penalty in this case eludes me.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
July 23rd, 2011 at 9:00:49 AM permalink
Decline in job opportunities has lead to a resurgence in some right wing sectors but usually its nothing like this.
Obviously this guy is going down but in reality the abhorrence of the death penalty is generally firmly entrenched in their society.
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
  • Threads: 51
July 23rd, 2011 at 9:12:15 AM permalink
Introducing the Timothy McVeigh of Norway:

32 Year Old Norwegian, Anders Behring Breivik
A right wing nationalist that loves his country so much that it required the murder of children.
Someday, joor goin' to see the name of Googie Gomez in lights and joor goin' to say to joorself, "Was that her?" and then joor goin' to answer to joorself, "That was her!" But you know somethin' mister? I was always her yuss nobody knows it! - Googie Gomez
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
July 24th, 2011 at 6:31:36 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

This is not your garden variety mass murderer. He intentionally sought out children. How anyone can be against the death penalty in this case eludes me.

Because some people believe the state shouldn't have control over life or death, the same way that any human being should not have control over the life or death of another. It's quite a parsimonious moral system, but it some cases rules being rules is by far the easiest way to deal with it.

Is he a scum sucking arse who should spend rest of his natural life is jail? Sure.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
July 24th, 2011 at 7:46:01 PM permalink
Quote: thecesspit

Is he a scum sucking arse who should spend rest of his natural life is jail? Sure.

Define natural life. While I don't think the State should actively kill people, I'd have no problem with this guy mingling with the general prison population while wearing a giant "child murderer" sign...
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
rxwine
rxwine
July 24th, 2011 at 8:10:15 PM permalink
Here, if he wasn't executed (which would be the most likely result), he'd go to the ADX Florence for 23 hours of solitary existence.

Quote:

Most cells' furniture is made almost entirely out of poured concrete, including the desk, stool, and bed. Each chamber contains a toilet that shuts off if plugged, a shower that runs on a timer to prevent flooding, and a sink missing a potentially dangerous trap. Rooms may also be fitted with polished steel mirrors bolted to the wall, an electric light, a radio, and a television that shows recreational, educational and religious programming.[11] These are considered privileges that may be taken away as punishment, so they are placed and remotely controlled such that the inmate does not actually come into contact with them. The 4 in (10 cm) by 4 ft (1.2 m) windows are designed to prevent the prisoner from knowing his specific location within the complex because he can see only the sky and roof through them. Additionally, inmates exercise in what has been described as an "empty swimming pool," so they do not know their location for possible escape.[12] Telecommunication with the outside world is forbidden, and food is hand-delivered by correctional officers. The prison as a whole contains a multitude of motion detectors and cameras, 1,400 remote-controlled steel doors, and 12 ft (3.66 m) high razor wire fences. Laser beams, pressure pads, and attack dogs guard the area between the prison walls and razor wire.[citation needed]

Eric Rudolph, the Olympic Park bomber, lamented in a series of 2006 letters to a Colorado Springs newspaper that the ADX is meant to "inflict misery and pain."[13] Charles Harrelson, who was sent to ADX after a failed attempt to escape from a Georgia prison, said "Part of the plan here is sensory deprivation," and "It could be infinitely worse."[12] A former ADX warden described the place as "a cleaner version of Hell."[14] There have been hundreds of "involuntary feedings" and four suicides.[14] Most recently, in June 2009 Richard Reid, commonly known as the "shoe bomber", went on a hunger strike and was force-fed.[15]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ADX_Florence
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
  • Threads: 112
July 24th, 2011 at 8:35:16 PM permalink
Is that where John Gotti ( the Teflon Don) was imprisoned and died in?
pacomartin
pacomartin
July 24th, 2011 at 11:54:58 PM permalink

Part of the issue is that Norway does not have a life imprisonment sentence. Their longest term is 21 years, and the majority of them get out in 14 years. One person who did serve the full 21 years is the previous record holder.

Quote: (former) Most prolific known killer in Scandinavian history

Arnfinn Nesset (born October 25, 1936) is a Norwegian nurse was convicted on 18 March 1983 of poisoning 22 patients with Curacit, a muscle relaxing drug, at a geriatric institution in the tiny town of Orkdal, Norway where he had been the director since 1977. He may have killed up to 27.

He was found guilty in the murder of 22 people and sentenced to 21 years in prison; the maximum punishment possible by Norwegian law. Released in 2004, he is presumed to be living at an undisclosed location in Norway, under a new name.

rxwine
rxwine
July 25th, 2011 at 12:45:56 AM permalink
It makes you wonder what they do with their murderers? There has to be more than one mass killer running around there. Even so, someone who murdered just a couple people doesn't seem to be a good candidate for release from prison.

There's more than few notorious cases here where people were released -- and everybody wonders, hey, why'd they even let 'em out after they hear what the person was originally jailed for.
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
July 25th, 2011 at 6:43:10 AM permalink
Quote: rxwine

There's more than few notorious cases here where people were released -- and everybody wonders, hey, why'd they even let 'em out after they hear what the person was originally jailed for.

Aside from mandatory life without aprole and death sentences, every other sentence in most jurisdictions affords the convict means to get the sentence reduced for things like good behavior, work programs, in some instances even completing highschool studies (or so I've heard). And it's not unusual for some local prisons to release convicts to alleviate overcrowding.

A better question is: of the people jailed in Norway, in this case, for murder, how amny of those released commited another murder or another violent crime afterwards?
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
pacomartin
pacomartin
July 25th, 2011 at 7:54:15 AM permalink
Quote: Nareed

A better question is: of the people jailed in Norway, in this case, for murder, how amny of those released commited another murder or another violent crime afterwards?

I cannot find an example. The Norwegian serial killer mentioned earlier at one point confessed to 138 murders, and then denied them all. By the time of his trial he professed his complete innocence. Since the drug is untraceable in older corpses, they did not exhume any bodies, as they could not put him in jail more than 21 years later.

The state has presumably set up a secure identity for him to start a new life. He has been out of jail for seven years, and there are no reports of reprisals, or even of his location. Since his victims were older men mostly, the bloodlust may not be as strong.

In a strange coincidence a dark Norwegian comedy was released a few months ago about a man who serves just 11 years in Norway for a murder.
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
July 25th, 2011 at 8:07:20 AM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

My thought process:
1. Why did Frank post a picture of Chevy Chase in this thread?
2. Did Chevy Chase star in some kind of non-comedy that i don't know about?
3. Wait, did Chevy Chase kill someone?!?
4. OK, so that's not Chevy Chase...

Yeah, it's gotta be a monday. I need caffeine now...
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
July 25th, 2011 at 8:30:09 AM permalink

I cannot find an example. The Norwegian serial killer mentioned earlier at one point confessed to 138 murders, and then denied them all. By the time of his trial he professed his complete innocence.

It doesn't ahve to be a serial killer or a mass murderer, any common murderer will do.

On a related note, what's the murder rate in Norway?

In the ned the purpose of a justice system is to obtain retribution for crimininal acts, but also to prevent and deter such acts. The latter purpose is achieved through the former.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
pacomartin
pacomartin
July 25th, 2011 at 9:51:23 AM permalink
Quote: Nareed

It doesn't ahve to be a serial killer or a mass murderer, any common murderer will do.

On a related note, what's the murder rate in Norway?

In the ned the purpose of a justice system is to obtain retribution for crimininal acts, but also to prevent and deter such acts. The latter purpose is achieved through the former.

I couldn't find an example of a common murderer.

If the rate were 1 per 100K it would be 48 a year, but I think their murder rate has historically been closer to 0.6 which would be about 28 per year.

The US murder rate is 4.964 per 100K in 2009, so it would be about 238 murders per year at the US rate.
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
July 25th, 2011 at 1:00:48 PM permalink

I couldn't find an example of a common murderer.

If the rate were 1 per 100K it would be 48 a year, but I think their murder rate has historically been closer to 0.6 which would be about 28 per year.

The US murder rate is 4.964 per 100K in 2009, so it would be about 238 murders per year at the US rate.

This one incident will boost the rate for the year then :s

Would be interesting to know the recidivism rate is in Norway.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
pacomartin
pacomartin
July 25th, 2011 at 1:11:30 PM permalink

This one incident will boost the rate for the year then :s

Would be interesting to know the recidivism rate is in Norway.

It will probably triple the murder rate for the year, but it will still be lower than the USA, and much lower than that of Mexico or Central America.

I can't find any simple data on recidivism of murder in Norway. recidivism for other crimes in Norway
pacomartin
pacomartin
July 28th, 2011 at 2:45:40 AM permalink
I've read that the gun ownership rate in Norway is pretty high for Europe (roughly 1 gun for 3 people) and that the shooter owned his guns legally. Yet there are no reports of anyone involved in a firefight on the island. I assume that even security did not have a gun locked away in a cabinet somewhere.

It does appear that this guy was not suicidal and quickly laid down his arms when confronted.

I had a friend who was a Navy Seal in Vietnam, and he told me that his entire training was always done with simulated human targets. They never once had an abstract shape for a target. For most people killing another human being is difficult and requires some training. Especially if you are methodical.
  • Jump to: