Poll

3 votes (42.85%)
4 votes (57.14%)

7 members have voted

odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
July 8th, 2011 at 3:03:02 AM permalink
Speaking of buses! Vote without looking it up first. In Arlington VA recently I saw a sign at a Metro station for buses that said "alight only" and I had to figure out what that meant, or I would not be at the right spot to board the bus at the busy terminal. I couldn't believe this archaic word was still being used, is that traditional? Embark or Disembark would have been better for me.

So vote, does it mean to get on or get off the bus?

At the station I guessed wrong!
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
Paigowdan
Paigowdan
  • Threads: 115
July 8th, 2011 at 3:58:53 AM permalink
Alight means to exit, or to dismount. It meant exit here only.
It's actually easy to remember: after you come [there], then you dismount...alight rhymes with delight.
Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes - Henry David Thoreau. Like Dealers' uniforms - Dan.
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
July 8th, 2011 at 5:59:41 AM permalink
It's fairly rare to have a bus or train stop where you can only get on, but you can't get off. It's much more common to have stops where you can only disembark.
sunrise089
sunrise089
  • Threads: 6
July 8th, 2011 at 11:29:53 AM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

Speaking of buses! Vote without looking it up first. In Arlington VA recently I saw a sign at a Metro station for buses that said "alight only" and I had to figure out what that meant, or I would not be at the right spot to board the bus at the busy terminal. I couldn't believe this archaic word was still being used, is that traditional? Embark or Disembark would have been better for me.

So vote, does it mean to get on or get off the bus?

At the station I guessed wrong!

Oh I know for sure what it means now. I waited at the damn ballston station in Arlington for about 30 minutes before I realized why the drivers were not letting me on.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
July 8th, 2011 at 11:31:32 AM permalink
Quote: sunrise089

Oh I know for sure what it means now. I waited at the damn ballston station in Arlington for about 30 minutes before I realized why the drivers were not letting me on.

I would have been waiting right next to you.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
July 8th, 2011 at 12:49:33 PM permalink
Quote: sunrise089

this was indeed the Ballston station!
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
  • Jump to: