Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
January 25th, 2011 at 7:01:14 PM permalink
Just got home from this one. I haven't really put my thoughts together yet. Man, good flick. Very much classic, as in classic film style, classic acting, classic plot structure. GREAT acting by Colin Firth. My Fair Lady, but more serious, for higher stakes? Maybe. Character driven. I like that.
A falling knife has no handle.
scotty81
scotty81
  • Threads: 8
January 25th, 2011 at 7:04:03 PM permalink
I opened this thread thinking it was a real time critique of Obama's State of the Union address. Except for the mention of Colin Firth, I probably wouldn't have been able to tell the difference.
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. - Niels Bohr
weaselman
weaselman
  • Threads: 20
January 25th, 2011 at 7:07:38 PM permalink
Quote: scotty81

I opened this thread thinking it was a real time critique of Obama's State of the Union address.

LOL. I did the same thing.
"When two people always agree one of them is unnecessary"
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
January 25th, 2011 at 7:18:57 PM permalink
Haha, I actually said to Mrs in the theater, "We could have chosen the president's speech, or The King's Speech!"

I don't pay any attention to State of the Union speeches, regardless of presidential party affiliation; IMO it's just grandstanding. I don't need the pep talk. I've voted for Dems, I've voted for Reps, but I don't pay any attention to the speeches.

Mods, if you could edit the header to "Movie: The King's Speech", I'd appreciate that.
A falling knife has no handle.
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
January 26th, 2011 at 11:00:39 AM permalink
One of the few movies my mother will watch. The only adult parts of the movie was a little cursing, and it was integral to the script.

The story was deeply personal, while set in a broad panorama. It also adressed the question that many American's have about the nature of royalty, specifically what is the purpose of this ancient institution in the present day when the monarch has no political power.

Even the triumvarate of fine actors, Colin Firth, Geoffrey Rush and Helena Bonham Carter was supported by a field of excellent character actors like Derek Jacobi (Archbishop Cosmo Lang ), Michael Gambon (King George V), Guy Pearce (King Edward VIII), and Timothy Spall (Winston Churchill).

The little girl playing Princess Elizabeth was spot on, as well as the portrayal of Wallis Simpson.

The "Social Network" is still the favorite for best picture, but just barely.
  • Jump to: