Thread Rating:

unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 14
October 14th, 2023 at 1:00:32 PM permalink
Quote: George Burns

The key to success is sincerity. If you can fake that you've got it made.

The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
October 14th, 2023 at 3:05:31 PM permalink
Quote: unJon

Quote: George Burns

The key to success is sincerity. If you can fake that you've got it made.

link to original post

80% of success is just showing up. Woody Allen

And I believe he's correct. I had a girlfriend back in the seventies who worked in the what was called Personnel Department in those days and she dealt with people who called in sick. She said it was the single biggest problem the company had was people not showing up. She thought that you could be the worst employee they had but if you showed up every single day you would never lose your job and probably be promoted.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
October 14th, 2023 at 5:15:19 PM permalink
Perhaps I'll talke about this movie at DT ... "Deception" [1946] Hollenius is a pompous ass who is so jealous he breaks a glass in his hand out of fury at a woman getting married ... shows up at her wedding uninvited ... long story. But he has a good line when this woman [Bette Davis] comes over to see if he is OK, he's bleeding ....

Quote:

Alexander Hollenius: [snatches his bleeding hand away from Christine] Like all women - white as a sheet at the sight of a couple of scratches... calm and smiling like a hospital nurse in the presence of a mortal wound... Good night! [walks out of the room]

the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
October 17th, 2023 at 1:06:57 AM permalink
Quote: Ernest Hemingway

Try to learn to breathe deeply, really to taste food when you eat, and when you sleep, really to sleep. Try as much as possible to be wholly alive with all your might, and when you laugh, laugh like hell. And when you get angry, get good and angry. Try to be alive. You will be dead soon enough.

May the cards fall in your favor.
DogHand
DogHand
  • Threads: 2
October 17th, 2023 at 1:19:14 AM permalink
Quote: Bertie Wooster, in "Jeeves and the Unbidden Guest" (1916) by P. G. Wodehouse

Lady Malvern was a hearty, happy, healthy, overpowering sort of dashed female, not so very tall but making up for it by measuring about six feet from the O.P. to the Prompt Side. She fitted into my biggest arm-chair as if it had been built round her by someone who knew they were wearing arm-chairs tight about the hips that season.

Dog Hand
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 232
October 17th, 2023 at 9:50:07 AM permalink
from the blues song "The Same Thing" by the great Willie Dixon

What makes the men go crazy when a woman wears her dress so tight__________?

What makes the men go crazy when a woman wears her dress so tight__________?

Must be The Same Thing_________that makes the tomcats fight all night

Why do I feel so good when my baby puts on her evening gown

Why do I feel so good when my baby puts on her evening gown

Must be The Same Thing________________that makes a Preacher lay his Bible down"

Last edited by: lilredrooster on Oct 17, 2023
Please don't feed the trolls
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 17th, 2023 at 11:37:27 AM permalink
Quote: Dieter

Quote: Ernest Hemingway

Try to learn to breathe deeply, really to taste food when you eat, and when you sleep, really to sleep. Try as much as possible to be wholly alive with all your might, and when you laugh, laugh like hell. And when you get angry, get good and angry. Try to be alive. You will be dead soon enough.

link to original post

Hemingway wrote that because it sounded good but he certainly didn't live it. He was a notorious insomniac, he had terrible time sleeping. As far as the rest of it when he wasn't writing, which was always in the morning, he was usually drunk the rest of the day. He would start drinking at noon and drink non-stop all day long so as far as living and laughing and being angry and all that other stuff he said, it was mostly crap as far as he's concerned. A lot of it was not his fault, he was bipolar and he used alcohol to self medicate. There were no drug treatments in those days like there are now.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
October 18th, 2023 at 4:50:49 AM permalink
the greatest blues lyrics of all time imho from the great B.B. King from the song "How Blue Can You Get"

I bought you a brand-new Ford

But you said, "I want a Cadillac"

I bought you a ten dollar dinner

And you said, "Thanks for the snack"

I let you live in my penthouse

You said, "It was just a shack"

𝙄 𝙜𝙖𝙫𝙚 𝙮𝙤𝙪 𝙨𝙚𝙫𝙚𝙣 𝙘𝙝𝙞𝙡𝙙𝙧𝙚𝙣

𝙉𝙤𝙬 𝙮𝙤𝙪 𝙨𝙖𝙮 𝙮𝙤𝙪 𝙬𝙖𝙣𝙣𝙖 𝙜𝙞𝙫𝙚 𝙩𝙝𝙚𝙢 𝙗𝙖𝙘𝙠"

Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
Thanked by
odiousgambitbeachbumbabs
October 26th, 2023 at 5:26:20 AM permalink
Quote: Friedrich Nietzsche

My solitude doesn’t depend on the presence or absence of people; on the contrary, I hate who steals my solitude without, in exchange, offering me true company.

Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
October 26th, 2023 at 8:36:18 AM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

no one wants to get old

but no one wants to die young either

𝘒𝘦𝘪𝘵𝘩 𝘙𝘪𝘤𝘩𝘢𝘳𝘥𝘴

link to original post

Similarly: Nobody wants to live forever, but everyone wants one more day.
A falling knife has no handle.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
October 26th, 2023 at 10:15:05 AM permalink
Everyone wants to go to heaven, just not yet.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
Mosca
Mosca
Thanked by
EvenBobodiousgambit
October 26th, 2023 at 2:21:29 PM permalink
“Nothing spoils a good story more than the arrival of an eye witness.”

-Mark Twain
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
October 31st, 2023 at 3:19:22 PM permalink

Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
November 15th, 2023 at 3:32:24 PM permalink
Quote: Mark Twain

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.

edit: may be misattributed - sourced from a questionable reference
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
December 16th, 2023 at 5:13:13 AM permalink
“One of the risks of being quiet is that the other people can fill your silence with their own interpretation: You’re bored. You’re depressed. You’re shy. You’re stuck up. You’re judgemental. When others can’t read us, they write their own story—not always one we choose or that’s true to who we are.”
― Sophia Dembling
Mosca
Mosca
December 16th, 2023 at 5:17:27 AM permalink
billryan
billryan
December 16th, 2023 at 2:59:45 PM permalink
A fool will think himself a wise man while the wise man considers himself a fool.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
EvenBob
EvenBob
Thanked by
VladAlex1
December 23rd, 2023 at 10:07:10 PM permalink
VladAlex1
VladAlex1
  • Threads: 23
Thanked by
Dieterbeachbumbabs
December 31st, 2023 at 4:08:46 AM permalink
Check out one of Meryl Streep's brilliant quotes, which is worth all of us. Finally I adopted them in 2023 ❤️

"I have no more patience for certain things, not because I've become arrogant, but because I've reached a point in my life where I don't want to spend any more of my time with people or things that I'm not happy with or hurt me.
I have no patience for cynicism, excessive criticism or demands of any kind. I've lost the desire to please those who don't like me, to love those who don’t love me, and to smile at people who don't want to smile at me.
I don't waste another minute on liars or manipulative types. I've decided not to give a hand to hypocrisy, dishonesty, and hypocrisy. I don't put up with cheap gossip. I hate conflict and comparison.
In friendship I don't like disloyalty and betrayal. I don't get along with people who don't know how to compliment or cheer. Exaggerations and stupidity bore me and above all - I have no patience for those who don't deserve my patience.

Meryl Streep
I’d rather have to be a lucky player than good one.
EvenBob
EvenBob
Thanked by
VladAlex1
December 31st, 2023 at 4:45:47 PM permalink
Quote: VladAlex1

"I have no more patience for certain things, not because I've become arrogant, but because I've reached a point in my life where I don't want to spend any more of my time with people or things that I'm not happy with or hurt me.
link to original post

I've always been that way, ever since I was a teen. What took her so long. I very very seldom do anything I don't want to be doing or spend time with people who I don't want to spend time with. Consequently I spend a lot of time alone which is fine with me. Why people spend so much of their lives doing things they don't want to do has always puzzled me.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
January 1st, 2024 at 10:48:31 AM permalink
Quote: Rudyard Kipling

If you want something and don’t get it, there are only two reasons. You either really didn’t want it, or you tried to bargain over the price.

Best of luck on your next orbit of our star.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
January 1st, 2024 at 7:18:02 PM permalink

If you want something and don’t get it, there are only two reasons. You either really didn’t want it, or you tried to bargain over the price.

Sadly, I am one of those people that try to haggle over everything just on principle. It is not a trait that I am very proud of because I even do it when the money means almost nothing to me. I remember one specific one that still bothers me. We were in Tijuana trying to get a taxi back to the border. The taxi driver wanted $4 and I refused saying that I would only pay $3. In retrospect, obviously that $1 meant nothing to me and probably meant a lot more to that taxi driver. That one still bothers me.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
EvenBob
EvenBob
January 2nd, 2024 at 8:32:35 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

Sadly, I am one of those people that try to haggle over everything just on principle. It is not a trait that I am very proud of because I even do it when the money means almost nothing to me. I remember one specific one that still bothers me. We were in Tijuana trying to get a taxi back to the border. The taxi driver wanted $4 and I refused saying that I would only pay $3. In retrospect, obviously that $1 meant nothing to me and probably meant a lot more to that taxi driver. That one still bothers me.
link to original post

This is something I don't understand. I watch a lot of travel videos with these people who travel all around the world for a living and make a lot of money doing it on YouTube. When they're in countries like the Middle East or Pakistan or India when they're in the market places the prices are usually extremely low to begin with. Yet invariably they will try and get the price to go even lower and I don't understand it. Say they're buying a shirt in India that in the United States would cost you $22, in India it's $8 and they try to get it for $5. The exact same shirt from the exact same manufacturer. What do they think, the Indian person is living the Good Life from selling shirts out of a booth? It really makes me angry but I see it all the time and they all do it. People making hundreds of thousands of dollars a year on YouTube. It's embarrassing, and they do it with everything. Rickshaw rides, hotel rooms, cab driver rides. Then they brag how they got a hotel room for $12 instead of $16 where in the United States they'd be paying $100. Like Drich says that one or two dollars discount they're giving you means far far more to them than you could ever imagine. It literally means nothing, less than nothing, to these people from the West yet they do it anyway.
billryan
billryan
January 2nd, 2024 at 9:16:58 AM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

link to original post

This is something I don't understand. I watch a lot of travel videos with these people who travel all around the world for a living and make a lot of money doing it on YouTube. When they're in countries like the Middle East or Pakistan or India when they're in the market places the prices are usually extremely low to begin with. Yet invariably they will try and get the price to go even lower and I don't understand it. Say they're buying a shirt in India that in the United States would cost you $22, in India it's $8 and they try to get it for $5. The exact same shirt from the exact same manufacturer. What do they think, the Indian person is living the Good Life from selling shirts out of a booth? It really makes me angry but I see it all the time and they all do it. People making hundreds of thousands of dollars a year on YouTube. It's embarrassing, and they do it with everything. Rickshaw rides, hotel rooms, cab driver rides. Then they brag how they got a hotel room for $12 instead of $16 where in the United States they'd be paying $100. Like Drich says that one or two dollars discount they're giving you means far far more to them than you could ever imagine. It literally means nothing, less than nothing, to these people from the West yet they do it anyway.
link to original post

Anyone who has spent time in these countries knows the sellers almost always jack up the initial price and no one pays it. It's a game.
EvenBob
EvenBob
January 2nd, 2024 at 9:42:27 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

Anyone who has spent time in these countries knows the sellers almost always jack up the initial price and no one pays it. It's a game.
link to original post

It's a game if you're local dealing with another local vendor. If you're a filthy rich Westerner, which these people are, it's not a game it's just being a greedy jerk. These people aren't living in split level homes with air conditioning and modern appliances, they're living in what amounts to a shack and are barely supporting themselves. Some of them even live in the back of their booth. To rip them off like this for no other reason than your ego, it's not right. Especially with the cab drivers, these drivers work 12 to 15 hours 7 days a week to support their families and to try and rip them off just because you can, is awful.
DRich
DRich
Thanked by
SOOPOO
January 2nd, 2024 at 9:47:56 AM permalink

link to original post

It's a game if you're local dealing with another local vendor. If you're a filthy rich Westerner, which these people are, it's not a game it's just being a greedy jerk. These people aren't living in split level homes with air conditioning and modern appliances, they're living in what amounts to a shack and are barely supporting themselves. Some of them even live in the back of their booth. To rip them off like this for no other reason than your ego, it's not right. Especially with the cab drivers, these drivers work 12 to 15 hours 7 days a week to support their families and to try and rip them off just because you can, is awful.
link to original post

I can't agree with your characterization of "ripping them off". If it is bargaining they can say no if it isn't making financial sense for them.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
January 2nd, 2024 at 10:07:54 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

Not haggling at all can be an insult.
I wouldn't be surprised if you get "marked" for the rest of your marketplace dealings, and can't get anything close to the real price.
I understand that haggling badly is the way to go if you feel like stimulating the economy. You can just as easily agree to 20% off as 64% off.

Still one of my favorite market scenes.
EvenBob
EvenBob
January 2nd, 2024 at 10:14:26 AM permalink

I can't agree with your characterization of "ripping them off". If it is bargaining they can say no if it isn't making financial sense for them.
link to original post

Here's what people don't understand. Competition is so fierce in those countries for every dime that they can't afford to say no. They're not in a position to say no because they need the money so desperately. If a cab driver can make 50 cents on a fare instead of a $1.50 he's going to take it because he doesn't know when his next fare is going to get in his cab. This is why it's wrong that if you're a rich American, to bargain with these people. Sure it's fun, sure it's a game, but it's a game where only you win. Americans also complain that shopkeepers charge more if they know you're American even though the price is still dirt cheap. I don't fault them for that at all, you make your money where you can when you're in poverty. It's not going to hurt you in the least to pay 10 times what they're asking and it should be enough for you to know that you're helping somebody out rather than ripping them off.
billryan
billryan
Thanked by
SOOPOO
January 2nd, 2024 at 10:18:15 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

If you pay their price, they'll get mad because they should have asked more. I'm not sure why you think I should let myself get ripped off, but I'll chalk it up to you having limited or no personal knowledge on the subject. Here is a hint- not everyone in foreign countries lives in shacks, survives hand to mouth, or relies on abusing tourists to make a living.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
January 2nd, 2024 at 11:02:14 AM permalink

link to original post

It's balanced out by other people overpaying.

(Now you can sleep at night untroubled by guilt)
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
EvenBob
EvenBob
January 2nd, 2024 at 12:55:37 PM permalink

Here is a hint- not everyone in foreign countries lives in shacks, survives hand to mouth, or relies on abusing tourists to make a living.
link to original post

Depends on the foreign country. If you're in Asia or Africa chances are the person is not living very well. I do not understand how you would gladly pay $22 for a shirt in your country and feel like you're getting ripped off because somebody's asking $8 for exactly the same shirt. Please explain how that's being ripped off. I guess I'll chalk that up do you having limited experiences to how the real world works and what your part in it is.
DRich
DRich
January 2nd, 2024 at 6:43:24 PM permalink

link to original post

Here's what people don't understand. Competition is so fierce in those countries for every dime that they can't afford to say no. They're not in a position to say no because they need the money so desperately. If a cab driver can make 50 cents on a fare instead of a $1.50 he's going to take it because he doesn't know when his next fare is going to get in his cab. This is why it's wrong that if you're a rich American, to bargain with these people. Sure it's fun, sure it's a game, but it's a game where only you win. Americans also complain that shopkeepers charge more if they know you're American even though the price is still dirt cheap. I don't fault them for that at all, you make your money where you can when you're in poverty. It's not going to hurt you in the least to pay 10 times what they're asking and it should be enough for you to know that you're helping somebody out rather than ripping them off.
link to original post

I understand but that is not the same as "ripping someone off".
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
January 3rd, 2024 at 6:53:23 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

Let's just take the principle you are espousing and take it to an extreme. I suggest you take all of your assets and sell them, liquidate them. Then take all of your wealth; travel to this poor country and give away everything - all of your wealth - to these people. Otherwise, you are ripping them off. I mean, why stop at paying $50 for something that you can purchase for $7 just down the street? You are ripping them off if you don't give them all of your Western wealth.

I guess I am a filthy rich westerner, but I do give back. But my principle is: "tend to thine own garden." My first priority is my immediate family. My second priority in charitable giving is my extended family and friends when they are in need. My third priority in charitable giving is my community. Lastly, I will give to reputable national and international charities. But I don't spew money to every anonymous hyper-aggressive street vendor with oozing sores in a poor country. I know nothing about them and that's just being irresponsible with my charitable giving, IMO. I will tip well for service, but I'm not going to spew money.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
rxwine
rxwine
January 3rd, 2024 at 8:33:17 AM permalink
Quote: gordonm888

But I don't spew money to every anonymous hyper-aggressive street vendor with oozing sores in a poor country. I know nothing about them and that's just being irresponsible with my charitable giving,
link to original post

Reminds me of a video titled, "Sidewalk amputee beggar accused of fraud miraculously grows new leg and runs away."
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
January 5th, 2024 at 6:48:42 AM permalink
I always think of Pac Man when I think of this quote - he was so great - many in the Philippines regard him as a national hero

𝙞𝙩'𝙨 𝙣𝙤𝙩 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙨𝙞𝙯𝙚 𝙤𝙛 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙙𝙤𝙜 𝙞𝙣 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙛𝙞𝙜𝙝𝙩 𝙩𝙝𝙖𝙩 𝙢𝙖𝙩𝙩𝙚𝙧𝙨

𝙞𝙩'𝙨 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙨𝙞𝙯𝙚 𝙤𝙛 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙛𝙞𝙜𝙝𝙩 𝙞𝙣 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙙𝙤𝙜

Krispy519
Krispy519
  • Threads: 6
January 5th, 2024 at 10:33:23 AM permalink
"Live Long and Prosper" and if you can't do that "Never bring a knife to a gun fight"
billryan
billryan
January 5th, 2024 at 10:35:33 AM permalink
Stop the breathing and start the bleeding.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
January 14th, 2024 at 8:08:14 AM permalink
Quote: Bob Dylan

You can never be wise and be in love at the same time.

billryan
billryan
January 14th, 2024 at 8:17:45 AM permalink
The moon is more useful than the sun,because it gives us light at night, when it would be dark otherwise. The sun only provides light in the daytime, when it is already light out.
Attributed to a congresswoman, who denys saying it.
rxwine
rxwine
January 15th, 2024 at 2:34:03 PM permalink
There is 'confidence", and there is being a "damn fool." You decide.

Someone said it's probably a pet bear anyway.
DRich
DRich
January 15th, 2024 at 3:54:12 PM permalink
That is a big bear.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
January 16th, 2024 at 5:24:11 AM permalink
Charlemagne

the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
rxwine
rxwine
January 16th, 2024 at 7:18:32 AM permalink

That is a big bear.
link to original post

I suspect, the dog attack reaction from the bear was more imaginary than real. Probably had all the physical force of a powder puff, to the bear.
billryan
billryan
January 16th, 2024 at 7:39:01 AM permalink
The bear reacted to the dog the way humans respond to bees. Knowing when not to fight is as important as knowing how to fight.
Where there are dogs, there are humans, and few bear-human encounters work out well for the bear.
rxwine
rxwine
January 16th, 2024 at 9:02:23 AM permalink

The bear reacted to the dog the way humans respond to bees. Knowing when not to fight is as important as knowing how to fight.
Where there are dogs, there are humans, and few bear-human encounters work out well for the bear.
link to original post

You mean later, or hand-to-hand combat?

j/k
billryan
billryan
January 16th, 2024 at 9:28:22 AM permalink
Quote: rxwine

link to original post

You mean later, or hand-to-hand combat?

j/k
link to original post

A bear that attacks a human will wind up dead. I believe they know that.
Bear attacks kill about one human a year. Hundreds of bears are killed because they attacked or are a threat.
Many bears could kill a human with one swipe of their paws, but their life expectancy would be nil.
EvenBob
EvenBob
January 16th, 2024 at 9:52:40 AM permalink

Bear attacks kill about one human a year. Hundreds of bears are killed because they attacked or are a threat.
Many bears could kill a human with one swipe of their paws, but their life expectancy would be nil.
link to original post

In the United States there are an average of 11 bear attacks every year and on average they kill five or six people in those attacks. 50,000 bears are legally hunted and killed every year. Many more are illegally poached.
billryan
billryan
January 16th, 2024 at 10:27:13 AM permalink

link to original post

In the United States there are an average of 11 bear attacks every year and on average they kill five or six people in those attacks. 50,000 bears are legally hunted and killed every year. Many more are illegally poached.
link to original post

I don't know where you get your information, and I know little about it, but a quick google search shows two sources that say it is less than one fatality a year. I did see a source that included Canada that said five, and another source didn't include Alaska, only the 48.
Friends, who know more about this than I do tell me bears instinctively avoid humans and dogs Perhaps they are wrong.
My Dad wrestled a bear in the 1950s, but it was a trained bear that wrestled for its dinner.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
January 16th, 2024 at 10:46:25 AM permalink
I have had several black bears run from me upon sighting or smelling me

they hunt them around me, which reinforces fear of humans and dogs. There are still some things to fear about black bears. There can be one that has lost fear of humans because someone is feeding them. There can be one that has gotten too old and is desperate. That's a real bad one to show you are afraid of it. The mother protecting her cubs is a huge problem with grizzlies, but with black bears not so much, they tend to send the cubs up a tree and run.
EvenBob
EvenBob
January 16th, 2024 at 4:33:39 PM permalink

I don't know where you get your information, and I know little about it, but a quick google search shows two sources that say it is less than one fatality a year. I did see a source that included Canada that said five, and another source didn't include Alaska, only the 48.
Friends, who know more about this than I do tell me bears instinctively avoid humans and dogs Perhaps they are wrong.
My Dad wrestled a bear in the 1950s, but it was a trained bear that wrestled for its dinner.
link to original post

"Grizzlies, black bears, and even polar bears can attack humans, leading to fatalities. In fact, all bears have the potential to be dangerous when humans get too close or don't respect their space. There are an average of 11 bear attacks in the United States every year, with around half of those being fatal.Oct 5, 2023"

https://a-z-animals.com/blog/which-state-has-the-most-fatal-bear-attacks/
  • Jump to: